Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Site Comments > Archives > Archived Forums > Serious Discussions: Too serious to have a double entendre in the title > Is Homosexuality Curable? > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest.
Page: [ 1 2 3 ] [ Thread Views: 5226 | Total Posts: 59 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
dramamine
INTL Premium Member
<b>Eating Pussy Since 1995</b>

Travelling, swallowing,

Ballkicks: (+286 / -39)
Reg. Date: Oct 2002
(Originally posted on: 04-21-03 02:45:42 AM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

I was reading some Frued this evening and was reminded of a question I'd been meaning to ask you all. Can you cure homosexuality? It's been said that hypnosis works or other psychological treatments for that matter. What truth do you think there is in this?
OLD SKOOL 4 LIFE KREW
PopRocks

I can buck my hips and suck neck while pinned under 250 lbs of man; I had him do me doggy style so we could both watch "When Harry Met Sally"

Ballkicks: (+233 / -15)
Reg. Date: Feb 2003
Reply 1 of 59 (Originally posted on: 04-21-03 03:41:55 AM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

sometimes i think that if i cared about somebody enough i would want to be with them regardless of thier sex, even though i am heterosexual, so maybe it could work both ways. in addition, when you're in a relationship, you have a tendancy to not really want to be with anyone else (or at least i do), so you're less attracted to the people you were once attracted to. so maybe a relationship with someone of the opposite sex would kind of work around homosexuality, like a relationship with someone of the same sex could work around heterosexuality. as far as psychological treatment goes, i don't think current science knows enough about the human brain to attempt to mess with what turns you on.
"we all drink from the same cup."
This reply was last edited on 04-21-03 04:35:02 AM by PopRocks.
icewyvern

Frozen Turds

Ballkicks: (+61 / -14)
Reg. Date: Dec 2002
Reply 2 of 59 (Originally posted on: 04-21-03 06:08:45 AM)

What do you mean exactly by "cure"? As in the homosexual no longer having any sexual/romantic feelings for the same sex, or as in they actually discarding homosexual feelings for heterosexual ones?

So far, from what I've read regarding the various ex-gay movements, they are a dismal failure. Unless one can prove that homosexuality is a mental condition, I don't see how hypnosis or psychological treatments will help 'cure' homosexuality. All that seems to do is repress the 'innate feelings' one feels.
We shit what we eat. So what we're eating in fact, is processed and qualified shit, but shit nonetheless.

Life Sucks.

Jesuß
INTL Premium Member
Healing America by Beating People Up

It's "erroneous," you uptight fairy.

Ballkicks: (+137 / -34)
Reply 3 of 59 (Originally posted on: 04-21-03 11:23:11 AM)

From what I've read, the so called "reparative" or "conversion" therapy is actually harmful to the individual on which it is practiced. The American Pscychological Association has removed homosexuality from its books as a mental illness, and in 1997 they did was a resolution which
Quote:
"just stops short of declaring reparative or 'conversion' therapy unethical."

In general, these therapies have a bad name with left wing and gay rights groups - D.M. Smith of the Human Rights Campaign, a gay and lesbian civil rights group, commented:
Quote:
"These therapies amount to nothing more than psychological terrorism and are usually performed by practitioners who harbor intense bias against gay people."

So to ask if it is "curable" is to say that there is intrinsically something wrong with homosexuality.
Critical Acclaim for Jesus:
Why, oh, why must you be gay? - Vervet
Isn't he adorable - Cyanide
Jesus, you know you're cool. - Tyr
AND THEN I THOUGHT MAYBE I'LL HAVE SEX WITH JESUS. - Tyr
Jesus looks pretty h0t. - Flaming Arrow
your numbero uno on my list when I turn. - Mingan

Don't like my driv... er... signature? Call this number!
Pertti Susilainen
Head Priest

mr. sukkit

Ballkicks: (+924 / -57)
Reply 4 of 59 (Originally posted on: 04-21-03 12:19:41 PM)

I thought it had been established that homosexuality isn't a disease at all, so you can't "cure" it.
This world is breeding cold, ridicule, only good for a fuck - Bad Astronaut
dramamine
INTL Premium Member

Travelling, swallowing,

Reply 5 of 59 (Originally posted on: 04-21-03 02:36:59 PM)

Quoted from Sigmund Freud in The Sexual Aberrations:
Inversion (homosexuality) can be removed by hypnotic suggestion, which would be astonishing in an innate characteristic.

So Freud doesn't think "inversion" is innate. Therefore, it is curable.

http://search.yahoo.com/bin/search?p=curing+homosexuality&ei=UTF-8

http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=treatment+for+homosexuality&vm=i&n=20&fl=0&x=wrt
OLD SKOOL 4 LIFE KREW

Ladies Love Cool Sarah
PopRocks: "i like you"
Peach: "Aww, you're cool"
greenidentity: "see ya ;-)"
Jesuß
INTL Premium Member

Reply 6 of 59 (Originally posted on: 04-21-03 03:04:09 PM)

Yes, but a lot of Freud's work on sexuality has been made obselete by newer research that shows he was wrong about a lot of it.

Stormraider
User is currently banned until further notice.

im gay

Reply 7 of 59 (Originally posted on: 04-21-03 04:41:17 PM)

As far as I know, homosexuality is the variation of several hormones and genes. Therefore, you cannot "cure" it anymore than you can "cure" skin, eye, or hair colour; that is to say, you can change them, but it is not a cure, just a change.

I doubt you could even change the hormone/gene once it is discovered.
Stormraider- 73.275% of your daily dose of Cynical Jackass!!
"Fight the war, fuck the norm. Now I got no patience;So sick of complacence. With the D the E the F the I the A the N the C the E. Mind of a revolutionary, so clear the lane" - RATM
Jesuß
INTL Premium Member

Reply 8 of 59 (Originally posted on: 04-22-03 08:44:49 AM)

Actually, I'm kind of worried about if they find a gene for homosexuality. You could theoretically then perform an in-utero test for homosexuality... sort of like they can do for other genetic "abnormalities" and it thus might end up that all the homosexual babies would be aborted. That's pretty frightening to me...

Coca-Cola
INTL Premium Member

MY WIG-WAM WOKS!

Ballkicks: (+503 / -183)
Reply 9 of 59 (Originally posted on: 04-22-03 10:04:05 AM)

I think that if I were homosexual, then deep down I wouldn't want to be straight. My only reason for wanting to become heterosexual would because society tells us that we should be. In my opinion, anyone who was "cured" of their homosexuality would lead a horrible, touturous life thereafter regretting many things. So my answer is no, it is not curable just as nobody could ever sway me to be attracted to guys.
Marijuana is living proof that big things do come in small packages.

Jesus - "men having sex with men = gay"
Zippo279 - "Lick and blow. Lick and blow."
icewyvern

Frozen Turds

Ballkicks: (+61 / -14)
Reply 10 of 59 (Originally posted on: 04-22-03 04:22:05 PM)

If a gene for homosexuality were found, I wouldn't be bothered too much if abortion remains a private issue - the mother still has, IMO, complete rights to abort for whichever reason she chooses, regardless of my opinion of her reasons. However, I would be extremely bothered if state-sanctioned eugenics programs took this chance to eliminate homosexuality as an undesirable trait.
We shit what we eat. So what we're eating in fact, is processed and qualified shit, but shit nonetheless.

Life Sucks.

Sonofvendettazchild
OLD SK00L KREW 4 LIFE

Ballkicks: (+19 / -34)
Reg. Date: Sep 2002
Reply 11 of 59 (Originally posted on: 04-22-03 08:33:10 PM)

I must agree with undefined when he says homosexuality isnt a mental illness and can't be cured in the means discussed a good portion of the time. Therapy can be harmful if carried out in the wrong attitude and fashion, so it probably isnt for every homosexual. Those unable to be helped by therapy should simply remain chastate. They like their hetrosexual conterparts have to wait to be married, so should they, but if they want to be married to someone of the same sex they shouldnt be allowed. They shouldn't ever abort a baby because its going to be homosexual. They shouldn't abort babies period. Personally i believe the murder of a completly innocent life is worse than the possiblity of homosexuality.

Edit: You can most likely find more arguements of these issues here, http://forums.interestingnonetheless.com/display.php?tid=5581
"Gratitude is disease of dogs"
-Josef Stalin
This reply was last edited on 04-22-03 08:38:23 PM by Sonofvendettazchild.
Jesuß
INTL Premium Member

Reply 12 of 59 (Originally posted on: 04-23-03 08:45:20 AM)

Yeah. Why are there so many threads that eventually end up on this subject?

As per the abortion thing, I'm forced to disagree - if the mother's life is in danger or the child will be born a vegetable I believe that abortion should be allowed.

As for chastity, that's a double standard that's really quite unfair.

Edit: as last year the legal system gave the government of Canada two years to allow some sort of gay marriage arrangement, I doubt the "wait until marriage" thing will be an issue much longer.
Skye
INTL Premium Member
Droog Queen

I love Skye

Ballkicks: (+781 / -120)
Reg. Date: Jan 2003
Reply 13 of 59 (Originally posted on: 04-23-03 09:02:09 AM)

I say this out of respect and as much love as humanly possible.

Homosexuals don't really care about what anyone says once they're out of the closet. The ones that are still in the closet are already scared out of their minds to face society because of bigots and idiotic religious dogma.

If a homosexual does believe in God and also wants to have sex with someone of his or her own sex, that's that person's issue unless said person's trying to have sex with you.

Otherwise, it's their fight. Every single situation can not be made peachy and freakishly simple for everyone. People may go to therapy of their own volition to try to deny or restrict a part of themselves or to please others. That's not cool. A person who is homosexual needs to face up to it and not be ashamed of it, and then he needs to make a rational choice on how he want to live his life.

This whole hypnosis thing just seems like the person's trying to cut his homosexuality off, and that's just something a person should not do to face his dilemma. It's just as cowardly as running away from the situation.

On a related note to this thread, I don't think hypnosis would be a viable "cure". I'm going to look up some sites later to see its effectiveness, but I don't even think people should resort to it in the first place.
Unannounced were their games--all players with no names; they lined up double quick--but just one pogo stick! Everyone gets to play, run away, expose...it was so exotic. But just one pogo stick!

-System of a Down, "Bounce"
dramamine
INTL Premium Member

Travelling, swallowing,

Reply 14 of 59 (Originally posted on: 04-23-03 11:49:33 AM)

Cyanide: Sometimes it's not always about being ashamed. It's a very hard thing to live with day to day.

Sonofabitch: I know this is SD and I apologize ahead of time. People like you scare me, not only because you obviously can't think logically but also because you're very, very closed minded. I take solace in the fact that I'm sure you are 12 and will grow up soon.
OLD SKOOL 4 LIFE KREW
Ladies Love Cool Sarah
PopRocks: "i like you"
Peach: "Aww, you're cool"
greenidentity: "see ya ;-)"
Zippo279: "It's easy being sweet to someone like you."
Vervet: "Sweet dreams when your head hits the pillow."
Cyanide: "you can have a bite"
Melanie: "stop spreading your bitch disease"
Jesuß
INTL Premium Member

Reply 15 of 59 (Originally posted on: 04-23-03 01:36:45 PM)

He/She is only twelve? That's reassuring.

Somewhat off topic but still interesting - I go to a Catholic school in a very rural, right-wing area, and I still very rarely see views as extreme as sonof's. I wonder why. In fact, the catholic chaplain of my school is very supportive of me in my current relationship, even though she knows we're having sex.
Stormraider
User is currently banned until further notice.

im gay

Reply 16 of 59 (Originally posted on: 04-24-03 07:14:12 AM)

Quote:
They like their hetrosexual conterparts have to wait to be married, so should they, but if they want to be married to someone of the same sex they shouldnt be allowed.

Shouldn't be allowed?

And who, praytell, has the right or authority to stop them? The government? The Church? Who? Because the last time I checked, love is a business between two people, and no authority has the right to tell them they may not consumate that love.
Stormraider- 73.275% of your daily dose of Cynical Jackass!!
"Fight the war, fuck the norm. Now I got no patience;So sick of complacence. With the D the E the F the I the A the N the C the E. Mind of a revolutionary, so clear the lane" - RATM
Jesuß
INTL Premium Member

Reply 17 of 59 (Originally posted on: 04-24-03 04:19:34 PM)

Right now, the government says we're not allowed. That's who.
PopRocks

I can buck my hips and suck neck while pinned under 250 lbs of man; I had him do me doggy style so we could both watch "When Harry Met Sally"

Ballkicks: (+233 / -15)
Reply 18 of 59 (Originally posted on: 04-25-03 06:24:42 AM)

well there's civil unions in some states, and there's plenty of churches i know of here in california and back in texas who perform ceremonies.
i love sarah gourley
Jesuß
INTL Premium Member

Reply 19 of 59 (Originally posted on: 04-25-03 06:16:49 PM)

I'm in Canada. Besides, civil unions are a disgraceful excuse for a solution. We demand full and equal rights.
dramamine
INTL Premium Member

Travelling, swallowing,

Reply 20 of 59 (Originally posted on: 04-25-03 08:43:17 PM)

Demand all you want, it's not going to happen. At least not here. If it happens in Canada, let me know because I'll be moving there immediately.
Inspiring and Always Kind Words Of Melanie
"its more funniest"
"i dont think i have an appetite for pussy today."
"what? did you say something? I was ignoring you."
"stop spreading your bitch disease"
"god you're slow."
"if i'm a whore, what would i need witha dildo"
"fuck you."
"god damn it. why are you so difficult?"
Jesuß
INTL Premium Member

Reply 21 of 59 (Originally posted on: 04-26-03 08:08:35 AM)

I'll let you know when it happens. It shouldn't be more than a couple years.
miss understood

Ballkicks: (+5 / -2)
Reg. Date: Apr 2003
Reply 22 of 59 (Originally posted on: 04-26-03 11:38:57 AM)

Quoted from Sonofvendettazchild:
They like their hetrosexual conterparts have to wait to be married, so should they, but if they want to be married to someone of the same sex they shouldnt be allowed.

...Wait like their heterosexual counterparts? Not many heterosexual counterparts are waiting themselves. Unless they don't live in the "Land of the Free," homosexuals will be waiting an awful long time.
Sonofvendettazchild
OLD SK00L KREW 4 LIFE

Ballkicks: (+19 / -34)
Reg. Date: Sep 2002
Reply 23 of 59 (Originally posted on: 04-26-03 09:14:14 PM)

Exactly
"Gratitude is disease of dogs"
-Josef Stalin
Skye
INTL Premium Member
Droog Queen

I love Skye

Ballkicks: (+781 / -120)
Reg. Date: Jan 2003
Reply 24 of 59 (Originally posted on: 04-26-03 09:19:48 PM)

So basically one should be forced to marry someone of the opposite sex, have a totally unsatisfying sex life where kids will not be conceived out of love, live in constant fear of someone finding out that he really doesn't love his wife and regrets having his kids because he's gay, and everything will be peachy keen besides the fact that it would come out later and totally traumatize the entire family and cause a lot of unnecessary heartache when he could have came out early and been happy with another guy?

If presented with the situation above, I'd probably happily go under the watch and try for a cure. Nothing in life could be as depressing and unbearable than being coerced into a situation you don't want to be in and that you weren't meant to be in.
Stolen from Tyr to describe my plight:

I feel inadequate when I see you being very witty. What's your secret? Drugs? Surgery? Purgatory?
This reply was last edited on 05-05-03 04:48:04 PM by Skye.
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 2 3 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 5226 | Total Posts: 59 ]