Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Site Comments > Archives > The Hall of Fame > I AM AN ARMY OF ONE! > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest.
Page: [ 1 2 3 ] [ Thread Views: 14311 | Total Posts: 72 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
Air Bud
Internet Superstar

Some plants even masturbate into their own vaginas in order to reproduce.

Ballkicks: (+914 / -56)
Reg. Date: Sep 2001
(Originally posted on: 05-17-02 08:36:58 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

Yes. It's true. I am enlisting in the Army.

Lately, I’ve been growing bored of my life here in Indiana. I would wake up every morning and go to school, go to work, or just sit around on my ass and read threads at forums. All the while, waiting impatiently for the day that I might escape the boredom and excel into greater things. Well, a few weeks ago, after quitting my job at Wendy’s and attending my last day of school for the Spring 2002 semester, I came to the realization that I need to do something with my life.

Surely for some, doing something with their life would involve finishing high school, going to college, then getting a job and working that job for thirty-to-forty years until they retire and finally start gardening, collecting miniature figurines, and bitching about how much they hate their life and wish they could start over and do things differently. Well, I was quite on that path, until I decided that college just wasn’t doing it for me. I would go to class, take notes, come home, and just sit on my ass and never even think about doing homework or studying. Then I would wake up the next day and flip fucking burgers for five hours straight, come home, and sit on my ass and never even think about doing homework or studying. All in all, college and working a dead end job just wasn’t keeping my interests.

In effect, I sat down for a few days and contemplated what I was going to do with my life. I needed a job, but didn’t want to work. I needed money, but didn’t want to earn it. I needed something to do, but I wasn’t motivated enough to look for it. Eventually, one day I was at Denny’s with Sarah, when one of my friends, Brian, came in and informed me that he was enlisting in the Army. The odd thing is that before he had ventured in and told me this, I had previously mentioned to Sarah the possibility of going into the Army, if I found myself still working at Wendy’s in a few months time and still finding myself bored with school. A few days later, I quit my job at Wendy’s and school ended.

I had come to the point where I needed to act. I needed to do something drastic in order to get my ass into gear, so I contacted Brian and set up an appointment to talk to the Army recruiter and take the ASVAB (Armed Services Vocational Academic Battery), which you need to take, so that you can be placed into a job of your choice and qualification. I took the test and scored an 87 out of a possible 99. The average score on the test is a 30.

Now, before you start making the assumption that I am leaving for the Army, because I “just don’t know what else to do” or some lame, bullshit excuse that flunkies make up when they enlist directly out of high school, you must realize that ever since I was a kid, I had fantasized about going into the military in order to pursue a career in Military Intelligence or the FBI. Thus making a decision such as joining the military is not the type of decision that just popped into my head on a whim.

In fact, even in the closing months of my senior year of high school, I was so assured that I would be going into the military that I did not even apply to any colleges. It wasn’t until I got a phone call from the DeVry Institute of Putrid Shit that I decided to give college a chance and see how I liked it (after all, why go into the military to pay for college, when I wasn’t even sure if I’d like college?), thus I decided to go to DeVry. That lasted a few months, until I dropped out and moved back home. As such, I was planning on enlisting then, yet due to circumstance, I decided to go to Purdue and continue college. Things were going well, until last semester, when I dropped two classes and pretty much failed the other two classes that I didn’t drop.

I realize that a lot of you are going to criticize me on my decision to enlist in the Army, due to your adamant beliefs that I’d be selling out or some stupid shit like that, but I am not doing this to please you guys. I am doing this for my family and myself. You see; I am in debt to DeVry for a large sum of money that I took out in loans to pay for living expenses and schooling, thus enlisting in the Army will help clear those debts and help my family and myself regain financial stability. Not to mention, help me regain the motivation that I currently lack.

Do not think that due to my departure that this site will go under and cease to exist. That is just plain wrong. This site will continue to stay up and exist, even though I will be gone. I have recently appointed pussinboots, PsychoRabbit, and Flaming Arrow as administrators, so that they will be able to run the site in my absence. While I am gone, my mother will be paying the server costs with the money I earn while serving in the Army. Yet even though I will be gone, I will not be gone forever. Once I get out of basic training and get into advanced training, I will have access to the Internet on sporadic occasions.

I don’t know exactly when I will be leaving, but I am aiming toward mid-to-late July. So yeah, if you have any questions or comments to make, feel free to do so, but I would appreciate it if you would at least attempt to respect the decision I have made, since more than likely you are not fully accustomed to the comings-and-goings of my life, nor do any of you understand the financial and motivational problems that I face. I am not asking you to like my decision, but merely respect it, for it is a decision that I have made on my own accord.
"Some people turn to drugs such as heroin or cocaine for their brain-wasting, body-killing, soul-destroying effects. Others turn to religion for its brain-wasting, body-killing, soul-destroying effects."
- Rich "Lowtax" Kyanka, Something Awful
This reply was last edited on 05-17-02 11:53:32 PM by Air Bud.
drahnier
INTL VIP
:iceburn:

Ballkicks: (+885 / -232)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
Reply 1 of 72 (Originally posted on: 05-17-02 08:38:11 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

i dont have a choise, i have to do army training for like 9 months...

well, i have to enlist...i'm not sure if they'll pick me or not...
probably not...hopefully not
i'm so tired, i cant sleep
i am a liar and a thief
i sit and drink pennyroyal tea
i'm anaemic royalty
Tyr

I cybered with Kayte

Ballkicks: (+479 / -130)
Reply 2 of 72 (Originally posted on: 05-17-02 08:48:42 PM)

Sandamnit, let others say what they will, but you have my support. You know what you want, you know that you will be helping those you care about, you know you will do it with a passion, and in the meantime you are helping millions. Those are the signs of someone who loves what they do.

Best of luck in your endeavors, and let nothing foul happen to you.
"That's all war is -the desire to project the penis into other people's affairs. You don't have to be an analyst to see the foreign recognition policy at work. It goes something like this- WHAT!? THEY HAVE BIGGER DICKS!? BOMB THEM!" George Carlin
Squareknight
I will never be independant

XX_mira_fan_Xx

Ballkicks: (+181 / -100)
Reg. Date: May 2002
Reply 3 of 72 (Originally posted on: 05-17-02 08:49:28 PM)

Well, I hope you are happy with your decision, Sandy!i'm a serial-killer :)

I want to join the army/navy/air force. I want to use the mighty GAU-8 Gatling Gun on those modified C-130's they have! Or, be a rifleman, and maybe be on a Seawolf submarine like my big bro.

One of those things.....*sigh* 2 more years..
The Devonians will prevail over all...and you will be our first example..
Gwahir the Windlord

Ballkicks: (+4 / -9)
Reply 4 of 72 (Originally posted on: 05-17-02 08:51:27 PM)

Actually, I think going into the Army is a great thing. It gets you in shape, both physically and in certain ways emotionally, lets you see the world, and provides a fun and rewarding job, with possibilites for Promotion if you do well.

I am planning on going to the military myself, unless I have a drastic change of plans before I graduate.

Btw, you might want to consider getting an ROTC scholarship. They pay for college, you attend a military-specific training camp in the summers, and you graduate an officer.
Tuesday
Stole FA's Fucking Name

Ballkicks: (+17 / -48)
Reg. Date: Apr 2002
Reply 5 of 72 (Originally posted on: 05-17-02 08:53:20 PM)

I think thats a great, well thought decision. Great job on your test, and from reading your post, you'll excell.
Its all fun and games untill someone gets hurt. Then its just fun.
Air Bud
Internet Superstar

Reply 6 of 72 (Originally posted on: 05-17-02 09:09:36 PM)

Quoted from Tyr:
Sandamnit, let others say what they will, but you have my support. You know what you want, you know that you will be helping those you care about, you know you will do it with a passion, and in the meantime you are helping millions. Those are the signs of someone who loves what they do.

Best of luck in your endeavors, and let nothing foul happen to you.

Thank you. I appreciate the support. I reluctant to post this thread, I've been debating about when to make this announcement, but it feels good to get it out in the open and let everyone know.

I just hope things go well while I'm gone. I hope to come back and see that this forum is still flourishing and growing. I mean, I've put hundreds, possibly even thousands of hours into working and maintaining this site, I would hate to see all that hard work dissipate in my absence.
"Some people turn to drugs such as heroin or cocaine for their brain-wasting, body-killing, soul-destroying effects. Others turn to religion for its brain-wasting, body-killing, soul-destroying effects."
Salamando
The Reel RS Krew
RULE BREAKER!

LOL karma palindrome

Ballkicks: (+145 / -473)
Reg. Date: May 2003
Reply 7 of 72 (Originally posted on: 05-17-02 09:13:25 PM)

Maybe if you do really good in advanced training, they'll let you gaurd an airport from those nasty terrorist.

Anyways you have my support too, I plan on joining the army when I get out of highschool also.
SALLY OWNED FA!!!!!! -Wheezy

More books by Ferret.
Child molesting: So easy even a priest can do it.
Tyr

I cybered with Kayte

Ballkicks: (+479 / -130)
Reply 8 of 72 (Originally posted on: 05-17-02 09:15:31 PM)

A stupid comparison, but it's just like when I announced I was "weird" because of well... that's obvious. You come to terms with who, what you are, and you know it's best for you, so you tell others, because you're proud that you're you. And you don't give a damn what others think, but it still makes you happy when others realize your self-acceptance.
"That's all war is -the desire to project the penis into other people's affairs. You don't have to be an analyst to see the foreign recognition policy at work. It goes something like this- WHAT!? THEY HAVE BIGGER DICKS!? BOMB THEM!" George Carlin
stew

thick soup

Ballkicks: (+62 / -7)
Reply 9 of 72 (Originally posted on: 05-17-02 09:34:04 PM)

I applaud you. It's not a decision I think I would make, but you are satisfied and that's the important thing.
I am ahead.
I am advanced.
I am the first mammal to wear pants.
Yeah.
stew

thick soup

Reply 10 of 72 (Originally posted on: 05-17-02 09:35:57 PM)

What kind of slogan is "Army of One"? I thought they wanted us to work together.

If I want to work alone, I'll desert.
I am ahead.
I am advanced.
Yeah.
Malign

Ballkicks: (+5 / -0)
Reply 11 of 72 (Originally posted on: 05-17-02 09:36:44 PM)

Best of luck to you, Sandy!

Being in the army will surely toughen your body!
stew

thick soup

Reply 12 of 72 (Originally posted on: 05-17-02 09:39:21 PM)

Sandamnit will be turned into a sexy muscled killing machine!

Cool...
I am ahead.
I am advanced.
Yeah.
Woadie

Communism works in principle, and so do I

Ballkicks: (+52 / -11)
Reply 13 of 72 (Originally posted on: 05-17-02 09:57:40 PM)

baby-killer!!!
And through the window in the wall
Comes streaming in on sunlight wings
A million bright ambassadors of morning - Pink Floyd
Salamando
The Reel RS Krew
RULE BREAKER!

LOL karma palindrome

Ballkicks: (+145 / -473)
Reg. Date: May 2003
Reply 14 of 72 (Originally posted on: 05-17-02 10:05:37 PM)

When you're in whatever 3rd world country Woadie is in, do me, no, all of us a favor and shoot him.
SALLY OWNED FA!!!!!! -Wheezy

More books by Ferret.
Child molesting: So easy even a priest can do it.
emtilt

the cow of horses

Ballkicks: (+486 / -41)
Reply 15 of 72 (Originally posted on: 05-17-02 10:14:41 PM)

I wish you the best of luck, I hope you find the "motivation that you currently lack" and enjoy yourself. Be sure to let us know how things are going whenever you get access to the internet.

are you confused yet?
ice wolverine
Global Moderator

Gay Turtle and Ass

Ballkicks: (+1764 / -130)
Reply 16 of 72 (Originally posted on: 05-17-02 10:22:33 PM)

While I don't particularly agree with your choice, I understand and admire you for deciding to not go to college and work for forty years.

I have similar thoughts about my future, though I don't think I would join the army. You have my support and good luck. I hope you can continue to post.
The position being taken is not to be mistaken for attempted education or righteous accusation, only a description, just an observation of the pitiful condition of our degeneration.
Stormraider
User is currently banned until further notice.

im gay

Reply 17 of 72 (Originally posted on: 05-17-02 10:33:18 PM)

I second Tyr's well wishing. Mayhaps you can go into something with Computers also, which would bring your obvious skills into play and give you something fun to do.

Excellent choices on temporary replacements btw. Though the thought of FA running ANYTHING rather scares me.
Stormraider- Veteran of such campaigns as HG, IGOD, SPSW, and the infamous DY.
The Proud, the Free, the last prince of Otnot
boutitben
INTL Premium Member
Captain Naked Santa

LBH was here.

Ballkicks: (+186 / -18)
Reply 18 of 72 (Originally posted on: 05-17-02 10:37:01 PM)

Good luck in the Army, hopefully things go well, and you are able to solve your "problems" during your enlistment. I do not think I'd have what it takes to be in the army (a physical weaking, except for my endurance) nor the mentality. I admire you for this, not necessarily because I like the military, but because you are willing to face this challenge. Best of luck.
Look how cool I am!
Sunhasrahla
14 year RP master

Zan-beef

Ballkicks: (+756 / -127)
Reply 19 of 72 (Originally posted on: 05-17-02 10:57:33 PM)

Sandamnit,
I support your decision greatly, and I hope that you will achieve something in your life that will make you happy later on in your life. If experimenting with being in the Army, or if going into an Army Career makes you happy; Then I am surely happy for you. Hopefully, this decision will be the right one and lead your way into a life that you want.

I have often thought about doing things myself, but due to my current situation, I doubt I can. Afterall, just travelling around, meeting people, living and understanding the meaning of different cultures is a 'dream' for me in a way. Nonetheless, I have yet to find a career of my own. Who knows, all I know is that you never know where your going to lead.

I concur with ice that I admire you. Afterall, you are willing to do something with your life, instead of just complaining about it. I know many people, including myself, who has yet to know what to do and is stuck in University wondering if this is right or not.

Good Luck, Sandamnit. I will miss you in these upcoming months/years. However, I am sure the new Administrators will follow in your example on running a forum such as this.

_Sunny

EDIT: On a sidenote, this has been my 100th post
Random Google Search:
"Come enjoy a Vacation on Sunshine."

Woadie

Communism works in principle, and so do I

Ballkicks: (+52 / -11)
Reply 20 of 72 (Originally posted on: 05-17-02 11:30:33 PM)

Yeah America is one stinkin "3rd world country"
And through the window in the wall
Comes streaming in on sunlight wings
A million bright ambassadors of morning - Pink Floyd
wheezy
The Reel RS Krew
Lord Handsome

The next time you wanna call a coon a nigger, call that spearchucker a jungle bunny instead. I know, I know... nigger rolls off the tongue so easy, but there is a world of rarely used racial slurs that we need to start utilizing. White power!

Ballkicks: (+527 / -190)
Reg. Date: Dec 2001
Reply 21 of 72 (Originally posted on: 05-17-02 11:42:23 PM)

You show testicles, Sandrew. I wish you much luck. Go out there and fuck up some heads, dog. And the site will rock socks when you come back.
U CANT TRICK THE TRICKSTER

Moderator of the Proud Inside Discussions Forum.
Air Bud
Internet Superstar

Reply 22 of 72 (Originally posted on: 05-17-02 11:50:12 PM)

Quoted from IGod_Wheezy:
And the site will rock socks when you come back.

IT BETTER! I just hope this site doesn't get overrun by idiots in my absence.
uselessinformation
I wasted my fucking time earning this title

cutesy gonzo journalism reference

Ballkicks: (+368 / -31)
Reply 23 of 72 (Originally posted on: 05-17-02 11:50:49 PM)

Best of luck with this Sandy.

Edit: I should really say more than that.

I have a lot of respect the military. not so much for the American military, but militaries in general. I've often considered enlisting in the reserves myself, solely for the unique experience. What you're doing can have a lot of benefits if you see it through. Make sure you keep your head on straight, don't take anything too seriously unless it comes to you in the form of an order, and always, always remember, that the best way to keep your boots shiny is to use Kiwi brand polishing products. I'm not shitting you, it's the best stuff available. Don't get the parade gloss, just get the regular black polish. When you apply the polish, don't put too much of it on your cloth, and use a tiny bit of water. Not spit, water. Apply the polish with a series of small, quick, circular motions. You'll want to polish them alot at first, until you get a nice, thick coat of polish built up. After a month or so, you'll be able to keep them shiny simply by rubbing your polish cloth against them a bit. Of course you'll still want to put on a bit of polish to keep the coat built up, otherwise you'll have to keep on rebuilding it every couple months or so. Aw fuck, they'll teach you all this anyway.
"In two hundred years the NRA will be reduced to a dusty handgun exhibit in the "Cause and Effect: The End Of Idiots in America" section of local museums. Yes, it's a long time to wait, but it will happen."
-Mary Dugger, in The History of Lesbian Hair
This reply was last edited on 05-18-02 12:34:50 AM by uselessinformation.
ice wolverine
Global Moderator

Gay Turtle and Ass

Ballkicks: (+1764 / -130)
Reply 24 of 72 (Originally posted on: 05-18-02 01:08:11 AM)

Are you going do make a site for this before you go?

I think you should.
The position being taken is not to be mistaken for attempted education or righteous accusation, only a description, just an observation of the pitiful condition of our degeneration.
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 2 3 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 14311 | Total Posts: 72 ]