Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Discussion Forums > The "Song A Day" Thread Forum > Should I get a cat? > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest. Moderated by: D drahnier
Page: [ 1 2 ] [ Thread Views: 1751 | Total Posts: 35 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Subscribe To Thread
Should I get a cat?
This poll has no expiration.
Get the male cats! Vote in poll to view results
Get the female cats! Vote in poll to view results
Cats suck. Vote in poll to view results
Your cat will make valuable sustinance during the zombie invasion. Vote in poll to view results
You're just looking for an excuse to make lolcats. Vote in poll to view results
Modify Poll
mmac
INTL Premium Member
it's INTL, not the fucking UN - Amphy

3ms will rise again

Ballkicks: (+254 / -35)
Reg. Date: Feb 2005
(Originally posted on: 07-20-08 05:56:31 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

I've been living alone in my own apartment for about 9 months now, and it's starting to get pretty lonely.

I've always been more of a dog person who tolerated cats than someone who didn't like cats at all. But lately I've been thinking it would be nice to have a little kitty. They're soft, have some sort of personalities, and even if they're not as playful as a dog they can still be funny. Looking through the humane society there were a few adorable cats who seemed cool.

I know that in dogs I usually prefer a female dog because their personalities are so much different. With cats does it make a difference? Of the cats I liked two were males, and one was a female pair.

I could only find one of them online, his name is karl and he's part siamese, and part DSH brown tabby. He was laying in a hammock in this busy cage, and just sprawled out. He's talkative and very relaxed.

http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=11006873

I would have to get him fixed, but at some places around here I can still get it done for like $40. The adoption fee is $45 and includes a second adult cat.

There was also a black tabby who was 8, fixed, and pretty cool. He was walking around the front of the humane association checking everything out and making sure that everything was kept in order.

Neither males were ass affectionate as the female pair, but they were generally prettier and seemed to have much more outgoing personalities.

The females are 10 years old, a brown tabby with solid white going down her chin, stomach, and paws. He friend was also 10 and a gray brown tabby. they both seemed soft, clean and affectionate, but fairly terrified of the environment, and kind of afraid to move. Both were fixed, and declawed on all four paws. They lady there said they would probably be sweethearts if I got them, I could see that side of their personality.

I'm going to look at my sisters friends kittens tomorrow, but I'm kind of iffy on having to train them as I have no experience.

Do you have cats?
Should I get a cat?
How do I make sure I'm not getting a crazy one?
Other than food and a litter box, what do I need to get for a cat?
http://mcelhinney.us

An atom walks into a bar looking very depressed.
Bartender: What's wrong?
Atom: I've just lost an electron.
Bartender: Are you sure?
Atom: Yeah, I'm positive.
Amphytrite
Hard for Drah

I don't really even like hearing about it or reading about it

Ballkicks: (+1869 / -83)
Reg. Date: Apr 2004
Reply 1 of 35 (Originally posted on: 07-20-08 06:23:01 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

Quote:
I'm going to look at my sisters friends kittens tomorrow, but I'm kind of iffy on having to train them as I have no experience.

Cats pretty much train themselves. The only real training-type thing to do with a cat is the box, and most of them figure out how that works really quick.
Quote:
Do you have cats?

Currently six--five indoor/outdoor cats and one outdoor. That's something to consider when you get the cat--will it be indoor or indoor/outdoor? Indoor/outdoor cats cost more to care for because of extra shots like rabies, flea treatments, etc.
Quote:
Should I get a cat?

Duh.
Quote:
How do I make sure I'm not getting a crazy one?

There's no way except to spend time with the cat you're considering. Usually the crazies don't hide their retardation. Our one crazy is also the outdoor cat, and she's crazy because she beats up kittens. Unless you're looking to mix the cat with other animals or children, playing with them where they're most comfortable--in the shelter--is the best way to figure out if they're crazy.
Quote:
Other than food and a litter box, what do I need to get for a cat?

If you get a clawed cat, something for it to pick at is really important. Even if you do, no guarantees it won't tear up your furniture. Also get a cat carrier for taking to the vet, on trips, etc. And you'll want to take the cat(s) on car rides, so they don't think every time they get in the car it's to go to the vet. They get pissed if they see the carrier only before a trip to the vet.

i'm a serial-killer :)
<mmac> do you ever have time to sit back and revel in your coolness?
Sixten Sparre
╔pater la bourgeoisie

wears neckerchiefs

Ballkicks: (+1184 / -307)
Reg. Date: Sep 2002
Reply 2 of 35 (Originally posted on: 07-20-08 06:23:44 PM)

Guys who have cats are wierd

guys who take pictures of their cats are really wierd

guys who take pictures of their cats to post them on the internet are super-wierd
Tough, Unique, Bad, Bodacious, and Sassy.
Amphytrite
Hard for Drah

Reply 3 of 35 (Originally posted on: 07-20-08 06:24:57 PM)

Quoted from Surt:

guys who take pictures of their cats to post them on the internet are super-wierd

They are also hot!
Ballsack 5.0

i'd like to see a pic of ice's duck

Ballkicks: (+91 / -77)
Reg. Date: Mar 2004
Reply 4 of 35 (Originally posted on: 07-20-08 06:25:37 PM)

Get a bunny.
Caitlyn: gtfo.
Sixten Sparre
╔pater la bourgeoisie

wears neckerchiefs

Reply 5 of 35 (Originally posted on: 07-20-08 06:37:07 PM)

Quoted from Ampitheatre:
Quoted from Surt:

They are also hot!

are you one of them stupid girls who falls for the apparently sympathetic guy who wants to flaunt his "sensitive" side via a cat, cause you yourself like cats.....so yeah, maybe hot for catladies, but else :-/

Furthermore, isn't it a real trend, that people want to get by proxy attention via their cats, and posting supposedly cute photos of them...here's a hint, you cat is fucking booooring, and only other cat peoplepretend that they are interested, so you'll praise their cat photos.

I mean, at what stage in life, in whole humanity's history are you, when discussing or taking pictures of cats is interesting
Ballsack 5.0

Reply 6 of 35 (Originally posted on: 07-20-08 06:38:31 PM)

BREAKING NEWS: Surt is a bitter, jaded douchebag.
Sixten Sparre
╔pater la bourgeoisie

wears neckerchiefs

Reply 7 of 35 (Originally posted on: 07-20-08 06:42:25 PM)

i am the speaker of truths
Ballsack 5.0

Reply 8 of 35 (Originally posted on: 07-20-08 06:43:11 PM)

speaker of jaded, bitter and douchebaggy truths MAGUSMAGUSMAGUSMAGUS

Why can't you let mmac/amphy just enjoy their catgasm?
mmac
INTL Premium Member

3ms will rise again

Reply 9 of 35 (Originally posted on: 07-20-08 06:52:54 PM)

I wouldn't be getting a cat because I wanted to take pictures of it. I would be getting a cat so that I could have a pet.

I really wish that I could have a dog, I found a shar pei that I really liked at a different humane society. Unfortunately time wise I don't think that I would be a good owner when finals rolled around every semester.

At least compared to hanging out with bitter europeans cats have have a reason to be so neurotic

Ztolk
INTL Premium Member
Rawr.

definitely threw the blue lego

Ballkicks: (+838 / -47)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
Reply 10 of 35 (Originally posted on: 07-20-08 06:53:35 PM)

I'm a dog person but cats are awesome. I lived with one last year, a kitten, and it was really cute and funny.

"I used the internet to get laid once. That is not a shining moment of pride for me. The worst thing? She evidently gave me chlamydia, which I evidently got cleared up."
-Wandering Idiot
antpocas
"Sex is not dating."
"If it were, Santana and I would be dating.

GLEEK

Ballkicks: (+414 / -233)
Reg. Date: May 2002
Reply 11 of 35 (Originally posted on: 07-20-08 07:00:38 PM)

Yes, get a cat, cats are awesome. I loved my cat more than I love my dog
Amphytrite
Hard for Drah

Reply 12 of 35 (Originally posted on: 07-20-08 07:09:38 PM)

I was joking, surt. But there's nothing wrong with a dude owning a cat. It's like any other pet.
Ballsack 5.0

Reply 13 of 35 (Originally posted on: 07-20-08 07:14:04 PM)

Quoted from Ampitheatre:
It's like any other pet.

Except gayer.

Quote:
bitter europeans

Don't forget dickish, too.
greenidentity
Disco naps and liquorice Snaps.

It is time for some fine fine wine.....or box wine it's all good man

Ballkicks: (+603 / -81)
Reg. Date: Jun 2002
Reply 14 of 35 (Originally posted on: 07-20-08 09:20:49 PM)

People who analyze owning cats so much are worse than the people who simply want to get one for the joy of it...

Really...owning a cat is not that big a deal.
You make me sick
Because I adore you so.
Acheron
INTL Premium Member
If I die in Raleigh, at least I will die free.

is this guy acheron???????? hahaha acheron you big fag

Ballkicks: (+224 / -116)
Reply 15 of 35 (Originally posted on: 07-20-08 09:29:53 PM)

I have no problems with cats.

But if they are outside, they should be on a leash to keep them within their owner's property. If they stray onto mine repeatedly, I reserve the right to capture them and turn them in to animal control.

If they kill one of my birds, I should have the right to put them down humanely.

Don't like that idea? Then keep your cats inside and away from my bird feeder.

Dogs outside are required by most US areas to be on leashes. The same should be true of cats.

And don't give me any bullshit about how the cat would hate that. Of course the cat would hate that. But it'd get used to it. Dogs don't like leashes or collars either, but they'd get used to it.

The other problem is the people I see buying really expensive cat food, and announcing apologetically that their cat won't eat anything else.

The owner doesn't realize that the cat has trained THEM to acquire expensive food. If you give the thing dry cat food, it won't willingly starve itself, and it will eat the damn cat food.

So like I said. I don't have a problem with cats, but I do have a problem with cat owners who refuse to control their pets.
"All governments lie, but disaster lies in wait for countries whose officials smoke the same hashish they give out." -IF Stone
Lyle

My penis is huge

Ballkicks: (+243 / -48)
Reg. Date: Nov 2002
Reply 16 of 35 (Originally posted on: 07-20-08 09:31:22 PM)

growing up i was always more of a cat person than a dog person, and i've owned several cats, both male and female. in my opinion, male cats are generally way more laid back than female cats - all of the female cats i've owned have been bitchy (if that can be used to describe a cat), and all the attention they want/get is totally on their terms.

the male cats i've had have always been very friendly, relaxed, and loved getting attention from people.

but like others have said, getting/owning a cat is not that big of a deal because they have next to no maintenance, especially when compared to dogs.

edit: in response to acherons post -

i completely agree with you. my neighbor lets his huge, non-declawed cat out all of the time and it is constantly getting in our yard. it pisses everywhere, makes my dogs go nuts (they're in a separate part of the yard but can see him when he's sneaking around), has actually gotten INTO MY HOUSE and attacked one of my cats (she's declawed and about half his size), and just the other week i had to dig a claw out of one of my one dog's nose.

i've told him several times to keep his cat in his yard because while just one of my dogs alone might not hurt it, if they ever BOTH got to going at him, it would be a disaster. but of course, if he were to ever prove that it was my dogs that got his cat, whose fault would it be? mine, of course.

i love all animals, but i can't say i'd be upset if anything ever happened to his cat.
mmac
INTL Premium Member

3ms will rise again

Reply 17 of 35 (Originally posted on: 07-20-08 10:27:09 PM)

Quoted from greenidentity:
People who analyze owning cats so much are worse than the people who simply want to get one for the joy of it...

Really...owning a cat is not that big a deal.

Chances are over rated.

Quoted from Caitlyn.:
the male cats i've had have always been very friendly, relaxed, and loved getting attention from people.

How much do they spray? Cat pee is gross.

Lyle

My penis is huge

Ballkicks: (+243 / -48)
Reg. Date: Nov 2002
Reply 18 of 35 (Originally posted on: 07-20-08 10:29:01 PM)

Quoted from mmac:

Quoted from Caitlyn.:

How much do they spray? Cat pee is gross.

ours were always neutered and they never sprayed. the male cat i have now doesn't, either.
Air Bud
Internet Superstar

Some plants even masturbate into their own vaginas in order to reproduce.

Ballkicks: (+918 / -56)
Reg. Date: Sep 2001
Reply 19 of 35 (Originally posted on: 07-20-08 10:56:14 PM)

Absolutely nothing wrong with being a guy and owning a cat. For someone who is a self-proclaimed "man of the world" of sorts, you're being quite closed-minded about cats, Surt.

Did you have a cat as a child that got run over by a bus, because you were playing with it on your balcony and it jumped into the middle of traffic and got obliterated and ever since, you've blamed yourself for it and have subconsciously developed an irrational hatred toward cats and their male owners, because you secretly wish that you could own a cat and are jealous, but every time you look at cats, you are reminded of that day and just can't deal with the pain, so you lash out inappropriately and project this anger and guilt onto others?

Just asking. It's okay, man. You can tell us.
ninarasta

Ballkicks: (+2 / -0)
Reg. Date: Jul 2008
Reply 20 of 35 (Originally posted on: 07-21-08 01:24:52 AM)

i think you should get a male cat... in my experience, theres a smaller chance of them being crazy, and a better chance of not being a complete dumbass cat.

i currently have 5 cats. we had two before, and then when i was gone, my sister moved back into our house unfortunately, and she had 3 cats and two rabbits.

in mexico i did have a kitten, it was really cute.

basically what im getting at is that i voted for a male cat, but i also wanted to put

Quote:
Your cat will make valuable sustinance during the zombie invasion.
Pertti Susilainen
Head Priest

mr. sukkit

Ballkicks: (+924 / -57)
Reg. Date: Dec 2002
Reply 21 of 35 (Originally posted on: 07-21-08 02:23:40 AM)

Get a ferret.

edit: a male ferret.
đonne onwŠcne­ eft wineleas guma, gesih­ him biforan fealwe wegas, ba■ian brimfuglas, brŠdan fe■ra, hreosan hrim ond snaw hagle gemenged. Ůonne beo­ ■y hefigran heortan benne, sare Šfter swŠsne. Sorg bi­ geniwad ■onne maga gemynd mod geondhweorfe­, grete­ gliwstafum, georne geondsceawa­ secga geseldan; swimma­ oft on weg. Fleotendra fer­ no ■Šr fela bringe­ cu­ra cwidegiedda.
The Wanderer, l. 45-55a
Hoff
Lightnin' Hopkins

Helping a brother out.

Ballkicks: (+192 / -38)
Reg. Date: Jan 2006
Reply 22 of 35 (Originally posted on: 07-21-08 06:21:27 AM)

Why can't you get a cat but you can a dog? Is it just that you wouldn't have as much time to care for it as you would want?
IF0
Administrator

Hey, I was with Mary Magdalene last night....smell my finger lol

Ballkicks: (+621 / -173)
Reg. Date: Jul 2003
Reply 23 of 35 (Originally posted on: 07-21-08 06:54:21 AM)

You do have to take dogs out every few hours. I got a cat because with school and work, I didn't get to be home too often, and a cat can take care of itself.
Adopt a leggo my eggo ifo.
Trash Mod
Administrator
I wish I were dead.

i'm nick and i'm too stupid to read so i make unnecessary posts

Ballkicks: (+574 / -34)
Reg. Date: Oct 2004
Reply 24 of 35 (Originally posted on: 07-21-08 10:42:44 AM)

Quote:
You do have to take dogs out every few hours.

Yeah but dogs make up for it by generally kicking ass.
It is company policy not to release this information.
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 2 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 1751 | Total Posts: 35 ]