Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Discussion Forums > The "Song A Day" Thread Forum > Teach me how to be a pretentious health nut! > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest. Moderated by: D drahnier
Page: [ 1 ] [ Thread Views: 1485 | Total Posts: 23 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
Smokey
INTL Premium Member
fuck this title

funkle smokey

Ballkicks: (+845 / -114)
Reg. Date: Jun 2004
(Originally posted on: 05-09-08 11:42:32 AM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

Hi my name is Daniel! I eat too much fast food, smoke at least a pack a day, drink soda like water and have been doing so for maybe 10 years or more!

I'm going to die soon!

Things that are happening to me...

1. Loss in energy that has just recently started to affect my professional life - and on occasion has affected my sex life. That's right! I am shamefully admitting on an online forum that every now and then I can't maintain a healthy erection - and this time it's not because I'm hotter than the people I have sex with. Well, not only because of that.

2. Slowly but surely becoming a fat pig. I have a belly now.

3. Weak. My initial reaction was to start working out again, but my mistake was trying to work out with the same relatively heavy routine I was used to. Hey, that was dumb! I have lost much of the strength I had - and I was never all that strong so you can imagine my disappointment.

I've sworn off the fast food and sodas, cigarettes I've tried with no success - but what I really need is some good suggestions for alternative eating habits and drinking habits. I am on kind of a green tea kick.

So what do you guys piss and shit when you are being healthy, and how do you make nasty shit taste good for the sake of being healthy?
Sex
Sunn O)))
INTL Alumni
14 year RP master

Zan-beef

Ballkicks: (+761 / -127)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
Reply 1 of 23 (Originally posted on: 05-09-08 11:57:01 AM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

As I said via AIM, if there's one thing you absolutely have to cut, it's pop. It's done more damage to people I know then anything else in your diet.
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

gotta get that VICTORY ROYALE #gamer #memes #LoL

Ballkicks: (+1782 / -130)
Reply 2 of 23 (Originally posted on: 05-09-08 11:58:09 AM)

I eat pretty healthy. A meal I usually eat for dinner is black bean tacos, they're easy to make and full of stuff that's good for you.

Corn tortillas with black beans, some type of lettuce or something (a general rule is the darker green the leaf is, the more nutritious it is), a little salsa (hot sauce works too), and some cheese. The cheese can be cut out if you're trying to not eat fat.

I eat brown rice instead of white rice, it's healthier because it is more than just starch.

A easy, healthy meal is baked salmon with brown rice and salad. Just put a salmon fillet (this won't be that cheap, salmon usually goes for like 6 or 10 bucks per pound, depending on if you buy the crap frozen stuff). A good recipe for the salmon fillet is to mix mustard (dijon mustard if you have it) with lemon juice and black pepper, rub that on the fish, and then just put it on a baking sheet on top of some aluminum foil (you don't really want to clean, do you?), and bake it for like 15 minutes until it's cooked.

Cook the brown rice and eat it alongside the salmon, and eat some salad too because salad is good for you.

Also last year my roommate and I ate a lot of plain yogurt with rice. It sounds weird, but if you mix plain yogurt with rice and put a little salt on it, it's really delicious and filling as a side dish. And yogurt is one of the healthiest things you can eat. I don't know if it would be as good with brown rice, but it's worth a shot.
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

gotta get that VICTORY ROYALE #gamer #memes #LoL

Ballkicks: (+1782 / -130)
Reply 3 of 23 (Originally posted on: 05-09-08 12:00:40 PM)

There are a lot of small things you can do as well. I don't know if you eat peanut butter, but most peanut butter is a mess of partially hydrogenated soybean oil and sugar. I buy natural peanut butter from Trader Joe's for $2 a jar, and its ingredients are : Peanuts, sea salt.

That has to be healthy!

Generally I just try to buy stuff that has the fewest additives and is closest to what I actually want to buy. It's a little more expensive, but it usually tastes better anyway.
Nickolati
...moved to Idaho?

the cumstain that is left on the wall 11 years after the party has ended

Ballkicks: (+611 / -61)
Reg. Date: Dec 2003
Reply 4 of 23 (Originally posted on: 05-09-08 12:08:54 PM)

I'm with you Smokey. Since I moved from Murfreesboro to Clarksville, I have gained weight as well. I guess not doing coke and ecstasy daily really has a drain on your metabolism.
Rather than filling it overfull, its better to stop in time.
Sharpen the blade to a point, but the edge won’t last forever.
Gold and jade may fill the house, but no one can retain them for eternity.
Boasting of wealth and virtue, brings trouble on oneself.
Reticence when the job is done, is the Way of heaven.
Socrateius
Robobear 3000

homersexual

Ballkicks: (+611 / -49)
Reg. Date: Jul 2002
Reply 5 of 23 (Originally posted on: 05-09-08 01:09:30 PM)

Yeah, soda is murder for the body. It pretty much halves your ability to do intense physical activity. I do drink it, but only occasionally as a treat or with mixed drinks (a couple times a week).
HeavenGaymes hahaha gay mes

"Being tackled is fun cause its like getting a great big hug from a strong guy. You get to lose yourself in his arms...It only hurts when they let go MAGUSMAGUSMAGUSMAGUS" - Shady Milkman

"I'm not even sure if believe in abortions period...but man do I hate retards" - Dimitrios
Ztolk
INTL Premium Member
Rawr.

definitely threw the blue lego

Ballkicks: (+838 / -47)
Reply 6 of 23 (Originally posted on: 05-09-08 02:09:07 PM)

1. Get lots of exercise. Bike instead of driving, play sports, lift weights. In addition to becoming more fit, it will make you feel better. It also makes your immune system so much stronger. Make sure you're resting enough too.

2. Smart nutrition. Eat lots of fruits and vegetables as well as protein sources like meat, fish and eggs. Don't eat processed food, food that doesn't rot, stuff your great grandparents wouldn't recognize as food, and stuff with processed sugar in it. If you replace most of your processed food with frutis and veggies, you'll feel better and fart less. Don't worry about organic.

3. Don't smoke or drink too much. Everything in moderation.

4. Condom.
"I used the internet to get laid once. That is not a shining moment of pride for me. The worst thing? She evidently gave me chlamydia, which I evidently got cleared up."
-Wandering Idiot
Zippo
pooooooop

Leveling entire cities with her magnificient girl-cock

Ballkicks: (+1097 / -49)
Reg. Date: Nov 2002
Reply 7 of 23 (Originally posted on: 05-09-08 07:47:28 PM)

Fruits make really good snacks.
Quoted from ice:
IIt sounds weird, but if you mix plain yogurt with rice and put a little salt on it, it's really delicious and filling as a side dish. And yogurt is one of the healthiest things you can eat. I don't know if it would be as good with brown rice, but it's worth a shot.
Add garlic and mint to that yogurt (even some chopped cucumber if you like), and you've made an awesome tzatziki-like sauce that will knock your socks off when mixed with rice. It also tastes awesome on spaghetti.
Apprenticed under Kage-STFU the art of bujutsu
"It is in Men that we must place our hope." - Gandalf the Grey
Baggy_Brad
FIGJAM

Cool.

Ballkicks: (+1431 / -135)
Reply 8 of 23 (Originally posted on: 05-09-08 08:53:18 PM)

I could tell you a lot of things. But before I do I just strongly recommend you and any other male interested in eating healthy and staying fit into your middle-ages and beyond READ THIS FUCKING BOOK:

http://www.amazon.com/Abs-Diet-Six-Week-Flatten-Stomach/dp/1594862168/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1210391341&sr=8-1

It has a kinda stupid name, but it's simple, easy to understand and will set you up properly to understand the finer point of nutrition, exercise and healthy living.
bradism.
greenidentity
Disco naps and liquorice Snaps.

It is time for some fine fine wine.....or box wine it's all good man

Ballkicks: (+603 / -81)
Reg. Date: Jun 2002
Reply 9 of 23 (Originally posted on: 05-09-08 09:25:33 PM)

I could tell you alot too, but it depends on what type of healthy you want. Do you want less fat? More organic foods? To lose weight? Have more energy? You can achieve all those pretty easily minus the organic foods, simply because they are usually much more expensive and don't cater much to lazy fuckers like us who don't wanna cook.

Eating a simple diet is probably the best way. Cut out saturated fats and high fat foods. Fat is essential to your diet though, so if you are having a salad, go for that oil and vinegar or blue cheese. But take away the cheese or bacon or any other fatty thing. You need fat to absorb nutrients, but not a lot of it. Go for lower calories. Pick chicken instead of high fat beef, or very lean beef if you must. Ground turkey can also substitute. Change your snacking. Snack on pieces of cheese, fruit, veggies (which you can do alot with to make to your own liking) or if you must have salt, pretzels, pita chips, olives. Substitue starches with wheat (bread, pasta e.t.c.) Eat bakes potatoes (minus cheese and tons of butter, sorry). Shop smarter--get lower fat foods and foods that aren't totally processsed as much as you can. You can make stuff taste good but it depends on what you like and it does take a bit of effort.

Which brings me to my next point: portion size. Probably our biggest problem in the US. We have too big of portions. And most of us are greedy fucks, so we eat it all. Smaller portions, with something that will satisfy you and is nutritious at the same time.

Exercise helps with energy no doubt. But you don't need a rigorous routine. Start with 3 days a week of walking or some LIGHT weight lifting. Ease yourself up to 10 min more each week until you are at a moderate-high intensity workout. Really, unless you want to be ultra fit, you don't need to bust your ass.

I have a healthier substitute for most foods you can name.

You'd wonder why I'm a fattie with this wealth of information lol.
You make me sick
Because I adore you so.
This reply was last edited on 05-09-08 09:37:42 PM by greenidentity.
Angus

D'oh!

Ballkicks: (+621 / -84)
Reply 10 of 23 (Originally posted on: 05-09-08 10:32:49 PM)

Find a gym that does boxing or UFC. That's what I've been doing for the last month and I'm in better shape than I've ever been in my life.
This reply was last edited on 05-10-08 08:35:20 AM by Angus.
Ztolk
INTL Premium Member
Rawr.

Reply 11 of 23 (Originally posted on: 05-10-08 06:07:19 AM)

Boxing of UFC?

But awkward grammar and weird naming conventions aside, combat sports are a great way to get in shape. Preferably something with full contact sparring like wrestling or boxing rather than something like karate where you practice punching imaginary ninjas.
"I used the internet to get laid once. That is not a shining moment of pride for me. The worst thing? She evidently gave me chlamydia, which I evidently got cleared up."
-Wandering Idiot
Baggy_Brad
FIGJAM

Cool.

Reply 12 of 23 (Originally posted on: 05-10-08 06:33:45 AM)

If you're over 25 and out of shape then high impact, high intensity martial arts is not a good way to get fit.

You're at high risk of injury and you're still not changing any nutrition which is 50% of fitness.
bradism.
Sixten Sparre
Épater la bourgeoisie

wears neckerchiefs

Ballkicks: (+1184 / -307)
Reg. Date: Sep 2002
Reply 13 of 23 (Originally posted on: 05-10-08 06:53:28 AM)

i feel like i live in the constant threat of scurvy!
Tough, Unique, Bad, Bodacious, and Sassy.
Angus

D'oh!

Reply 14 of 23 (Originally posted on: 05-10-08 08:37:25 AM)

Quoted from Ztolk:
Boxing of UFC?

But awkward grammar and weird naming conventions aside, combat sports are a great way to get in shape. Preferably something with full contact sparring like wrestling or boxing rather than something like karate where you practice punching imaginary ninjas.

Yea I meant boxing or UFC, but I made a typo.

The mixed martial arts kickboxing stuff is full contact and is the best workout I've ever gotten. And part of the reason I recommended it to Smokey is because they made me start eating better to and gave me some good nutritional advice which would work for him.
greenidentity
Disco naps and liquorice Snaps.

It is time for some fine fine wine.....or box wine it's all good man

Ballkicks: (+603 / -81)
Reg. Date: Jun 2002
Reply 15 of 23 (Originally posted on: 05-10-08 10:54:32 AM)

But what Brad was saying was that that's probably too much for him all at once. When you are out of shape, you have to slowly build up to..moving around a lot.

He could join a gym and get eating tips too, as well as from the internets. I say start walking and lift weights to start, then move into an actual exercise hobby such as martial arts, pole vaulting e.t.c.
You make me sick
Because I adore you so.
Hasty Penguin
get in the box
People are a danger to society.

there is a guy who gets it on with three girls at once and they all have amazing unibrows

Ballkicks: (+1307 / -46)
Reg. Date: May 2002
Reply 16 of 23 (Originally posted on: 05-10-08 11:17:54 AM)

Playing pick up sports games is great, but anything that gets you exercise and "everything in moderation" seems to keep most folks in shape.

On Sunny's point, though, get the pop out of your diet. It's terrible for you. Maybe a can a week maximum.

Taking half an hour a day (usually in the morning) to warm your body up, do stretches and such, can make a big difference in energy, too. If you're relying on sugar/caffeine, cutting that out will make a difference as well.
how is this for a quote
Angus

D'oh!

Reply 17 of 23 (Originally posted on: 05-10-08 04:19:58 PM)

Quoted from greenidentity:
But what Brad was saying was that that's probably too much for him all at once. When you are out of shape, you have to slowly build up to..moving around a lot.

He could join a gym and get eating tips too, as well as from the internets. I say start walking and lift weights to start, then move into an actual exercise hobby such as martial arts, pole vaulting e.t.c.

It's too much all at once if you're a pussy. It's not like someone at a gym would have him flipping tractor tires a hundred times right off the bat.
Menion
INTL Premium Member
Regular

Man-Onions

Ballkicks: (+122 / -35)
Reg. Date: Aug 2003
Reply 18 of 23 (Originally posted on: 05-10-08 05:10:58 PM)

Question:

I drink soda like nobody's business, but I only ever drink coke zero and diet pepsi.

Is that equally bad for you, or does it not count?
Ok, that's good to know...

"To err is human, but to really foul things up you need a computer." --Paul Ehrlich

"I wish Stanley Baldwin no ill, but it would have been much better if he had never lived" -- Winston Churchill

"I love California, I practically grew up in Phoenix." -- The Infamous Mr. Dan Quayle
Baggy_Brad
FIGJAM

Cool.

Reply 19 of 23 (Originally posted on: 05-10-08 05:22:02 PM)

Quoted from Menion:
Question:

I drink soda like nobody's business, but I only ever drink coke zero and diet pepsi.

Is that equally bad for you, or does it not count?

Doesn't count, except for the potential dangers of artificial sweeteners that haven't been discovered yet...
bradism.
Smokey
INTL Premium Member
fuck this title

funkle smokey

Ballkicks: (+845 / -114)
Reply 20 of 23 (Originally posted on: 05-18-08 11:24:13 PM)

Well, the smoking is probably the real killer when it comes to combat sports and...you know...living. I've started really cutting down on that as best I can because my breathing problems have really increased in the past 5 years or so. I'm pretty positive that if I can't beat the addiction I will be unable to walk from one end of the house to the next without getting winded when I'm in my 30's...that's if the problems continue to increase the way they have been. So it would be too much for me to handle all at once more because I'd constantly run out of breath which could lead to a asthma attack or something.

I have taken soda out of my diet completely. Well...I had since I wrote this until yesterday when I had one with a subway sub and actually felt guilty. Mostly it's green tea and sometimes propel. I know it's not as good as water, but it's better than soda.

I have a shitload of weights from a time when I cared, so now that I care again I started using them...some of them. Turns out I can't really handle things I used to be able to handle. I really shouldn't feel so much like an old man at fucking 25, but I kind of do.

Walking is actually something I do all the time anyway. Ive upped that lately, hot sun is something I'm used to avoiding but I've reluctantly stopped that.

So yeah, thanks for all your suggestions. I ordered that book you linked to, Brad. At first I wasn't going to, but at that price it could be useless and I wouldn't really care too much.

PS: If diet coke doesn't fucking count then maybe I should be drinking diet coke? Sugarless is one thing but what about all that other nasty shit that goes into making sodas?
Sex
Ztolk
INTL Premium Member
Rawr.

Reply 21 of 23 (Originally posted on: 05-19-08 06:37:29 AM)

My favourite nutrition guru, John Berardi, says that one should only drink water and tea, but that's a bit strict.
http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/nutrition/7habits.htm
-Wandering Idiot
Baggy_Brad
FIGJAM

Cool.

Reply 22 of 23 (Originally posted on: 05-20-08 09:31:18 PM)

Diet Soda and Whatever Zero both have the same sweetners. The main difference is the taste. EG Diet Coke has its own flavour whereas Coke Zero is designed to taste like full strength Coke (it doesn't really though).

Hope you like the book. It's aimed at the lowest common denominator of intelligence but still plenty of stuff you can take out of it.
bradism.
Dio

rebel rebel

Ballkicks: (+105 / -50)
Reg. Date: Aug 2006
Reply 23 of 23 (Originally posted on: 05-20-08 09:43:32 PM)

Quote:
Well, the smoking is probably the real killer when it comes to combat sports and...you know...living. I've started really cutting down on that as best I can because my breathing problems have really increased in the past 5 years or so. I'm pretty positive that if I can't beat the addiction I will be unable to walk from one end of the house to the next without getting winded when I'm in my 30's...that's if the problems continue to increase the way they have been. So it would be too much for me to handle all at once more because I'd constantly run out of breath which could lead to a asthma attack or something.

I was just about to have a cigarette, but this totally makes me not want to have one for a few more days.
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 1485 | Total Posts: 23 ]