Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Site Comments > Archives > Archived Forums > Pretension Palace: i don't like that band because you've heard of them > Iron Man > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest. Moderated by: Amphytrite
Page: [ 1 ] [ Thread Views: 704 | Total Posts: 17 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
goatsnacks
Administrators

"When I decide to brush (maybe once a week)" -Snook, INTL's #1 Scrub

Ballkicks: (+512 / -167)
Reg. Date: Feb 2004
(Originally posted on: 05-05-08 07:12:31 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

So this movie just came out and I actually saw it. Here's a thread to celebrate the occasion.

The film was full of amazing visuals. I am convinced that anything ILM touches is like that from the hand of god. And Robert Downey Jr. as Tony Stark is dead on the money, I just had a huge problem with the films pacing about half way through. And also how about that Gwyneth Paltrow...really didn't like her in some scenes but loved her in others.

Terrence Howard as Jim Rhodes is going to kick ass when he gets to be War Machine. I guess I'm a bit of a fanboy in that I loved the Iron Man series growing up but the movie didn't blow me away. It really was entertaining though.

Anyone here see it? What was your take? Did Jeff Bridges arouse you as much as it did me? (joking!...or am I?!)
"A man chooses, a slave obeys."
Air Bud
Internet Superstar

Some plants even masturbate into their own vaginas in order to reproduce.

Ballkicks: (+918 / -56)
Reg. Date: Sep 2001
Reply 1 of 17 (Originally posted on: 05-06-08 10:13:55 AM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

I went in expecting it to be overhyped trash, but ended up really liking it.

I've never read any of the comic books, so I didn't have anything to compare/contrast the movie to, but I still really liked it. The visual effects were pretty amazing, which is rare nowadays, usually they look over produced or hokey, but they managed a great blend in this movie.

I'm not sure how accurate Tony Stark's character was to the comic book, but I still really liked his performance. As far as Jeff Bridges, I couldn't stop thinking "Big Lebowski" every time he was on the screen.

Not sure what else to say, other than I can't wait for Dark Knight to come out now to see which I like more.
goatsnacks
Administrators

Reply 2 of 17 (Originally posted on: 05-06-08 11:48:14 AM)

Yeah through the whole movie Amanda and I kept looking at each other when he was on screen and said stuff like 'You peed on my rug!'

It worked out pretty good.
emtilt

the cow of horses

Ballkicks: (+486 / -41)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
Reply 3 of 17 (Originally posted on: 05-06-08 12:12:32 PM)

It was a pretty fun movie. I don't really have a strong opinion about it. It was a fun movie to watch, but it's also one I'll probably never watch again and soon forget about.

It was pretty well directed; much more so than most of the other superhero movies as of late (with the exception of Batman Begins). Robert Downey Jr was well cast for that role, and he did a fine job with it. The supporting acting was a bit more lackluster, but their characters' roles were also pretty lackluster. Special effects were very well used. The score kinda sucked. The plot had some holes and got kinda absurd at times, but I won't hold that too much against a movie like this.
this is my music i hope you like it
this is music i listen to these are movies i like these are books i like
Hasty Penguin
get in the box
People are a danger to society.

there is a guy who gets it on with three girls at once and they all have amazing unibrows

Ballkicks: (+1307 / -46)
Reg. Date: May 2002
Reply 4 of 17 (Originally posted on: 05-10-08 04:48:03 PM)

I saw it this afternoon and my reaction is almost identical to emtilt's. It was done well enough, but the comic book characters of Stan Lee don't have enough depth on their own. They need to get other writers in on this to give the characters depth and explore plot arcs other than "I have one weakness and the bad guys caught on."

Robert Downey Jr. comes off as a smooth talking jock moreso than one of, if not the most, intelligent men on the planet. Just saying.

Otherwise, it's fun, pretty action packed and enjoyable.
how is this for a quote
emtilt

the cow of horses

Ballkicks: (+486 / -41)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
Reply 5 of 17 (Originally posted on: 05-10-08 07:09:00 PM)

I don't like to nit-pick technical details in action movies, but I thought it was kinda funny that he somehow fit enough fuel/propellant to fly around the world into that little suit.
this is my music i hope you like it
this is music i listen to these are movies i like these are books i like
goatsnacks
Administrators

Reply 6 of 17 (Originally posted on: 05-11-08 04:19:38 AM)

The real question is how could someone withstand the G-force of flying around in the suit?

And the whole falling to the ground thing at 100+ mph would completely destroy your innards on impact.
Air Bud
Internet Superstar

Some plants even masturbate into their own vaginas in order to reproduce.

Ballkicks: (+918 / -56)
Reg. Date: Sep 2001
Reply 7 of 17 (Originally posted on: 05-11-08 09:27:00 AM)

Oddly enough, it was right up that escape scene and subsequent crash-landing in the desert that I thought this was going to be a fairly realistic (to a degree) comic book movie. It seemed that everything up to that point was moderately realistic between the Army convoy and part of his imprisonment. Once he crash landed though, I just kinda shut my brain off and went into suspension of disbelief mode. Found it much better that way.
wheezy
The Reel RS Krew
Lord Handsome

The next time you wanna call a coon a nigger, call that spearchucker a jungle bunny instead. I know, I know... nigger rolls off the tongue so easy, but there is a world of rarely used racial slurs that we need to start utilizing. White power!

Ballkicks: (+527 / -190)
Reg. Date: Dec 2001
Reply 8 of 17 (Originally posted on: 05-12-08 01:11:53 PM)

Quoted from Sadmint:
The real question is how could someone withstand the G-force of flying around in the suit?

And the whole falling to the ground thing at 100+ mph would completely destroy your innards on impact.

a super-hero movie that was untrue to the law of physics?! What a fucking pile of garbage.
U CANT TRICK THE TRICKSTER

Moderator of the Proud Inside Discussions Forum.
www.uselessstatic.com
Spiff
!!!

gtfo

Ballkicks: (+258 / -11)
Reg. Date: Nov 2003
Reply 9 of 17 (Originally posted on: 05-14-08 01:27:54 PM)

I think Downey's performance is the greatest part of what makes this film work. He brought to the role a likable blend of well-intentioned scientist and hedonistic jerk, sort of like what I imagine James Bond would be if he had Q's technical prowess. The effects are well done and the supporting cast gets the point across, but Favreau's decision to hide Downey behind Iron Man's mask as little as possible really works to this film's advantage.

I also really liked the Altman-esque interactions between characters in some of the scenes. The one scene where Pepper has to remove the exposed wire from the hardware in Tony's chest was fun to watch, for example, because there's a sense of urgency, but at the same time he's trying to reassure her by telling her what's she's doing is like playing "Operation." The scenes where he tests out the second suit's components are also great.
goatsnacks
Administrators

Reply 10 of 17 (Originally posted on: 05-14-08 06:00:55 PM)

Quoted from <b>ЩЋξΞζҰ</b>:
Quoted from Sadmint:

a super-hero movie that was untrue to the law of physics?! What a fucking pile of garbage.
you make me chuckle sometimes.
ba
INTL Premium Member
Captain of the Cool Kids

and i said, a\re you a gay ass fucker who can't take a baseball up the ass you faggot???? and he said yes........

Ballkicks: (+456 / -62)
Reg. Date: Apr 2003
Reply 11 of 17 (Originally posted on: 05-15-08 01:17:03 PM)

I saw it and liked it.

Gwenneth Paltrow was bangin' in it too, especially in that blue dress
~British Agent
.___.
{O,o} O RLY?
/)__)
-"-"-
Links: Penny Arcade, YTMND, Something Awful.
Ryan
Big Sausage Pizza

From west philadelphia born and raised on the playground it's said I spent most of my days

Ballkicks: (+64 / -17)
Reg. Date: Nov 2006
Reply 12 of 17 (Originally posted on: 05-15-08 06:45:59 PM)

I saw this last night. I was pleasantly impressed with it, kind of went in with no expectations at all (actually, they were pretty low, given I played the Iron Man game demo, but how good are those ever?)

Paltrow was hot.
‹just dandy› but. again. funnel aspect. I don't want anything put in there unawares. I'm no Richard Gere.
‹Purple› If it was Sunny doing it, s/he'd be pretty rough
‹just dandy› ouch. I just involuntarily clenched.
Smokey
INTL Premium Member
fuck this title

funkle smokey

Ballkicks: (+845 / -114)
Reg. Date: Jun 2004
Reply 13 of 17 (Originally posted on: 05-18-08 11:56:34 PM)

Robert Downey makes it worth watching. It's good but I'm with emtilt in the sense that I don't really want to see it again...I mean after tomorrow. I have to see it tomorrow because of sex.
Sex
Nickolati
...moved to Idaho?

the cumstain that is left on the wall 11 years after the party has ended

Ballkicks: (+611 / -61)
Reg. Date: Dec 2003
Reply 14 of 17 (Originally posted on: 05-20-08 12:55:57 PM)

This movie was a waste of 9 dollars in my opinion. It wasn't the actor's fault, or the writers, or the director, or anyone associated with the movie for that matter. It is Stan Lee's fault for allowing them to turn a mediocre comic book into a high dollar movie. I mean really - you could film me making macaroni and cheese, and it would have a plot with more substance and depth.
Rather than filling it overfull, its better to stop in time.
Sharpen the blade to a point, but the edge won’t last forever.
Gold and jade may fill the house, but no one can retain them for eternity.
Boasting of wealth and virtue, brings trouble on oneself.
Reticence when the job is done, is the Way of heaven.
ba
INTL Premium Member
Captain of the Cool Kids

and i said, a\re you a gay ass fucker who can't take a baseball up the ass you faggot???? and he said yes........

Ballkicks: (+456 / -62)
Reg. Date: Apr 2003
Reply 15 of 17 (Originally posted on: 05-20-08 04:27:39 PM)

aynone catch his cameo in this one? its defiantely flashier than in the other movies.
~British Agent
.___.
{O,o} O RLY?
/)__)
-"-"-
Links: Penny Arcade, YTMND, Something Awful.
Nickolati
...moved to Idaho?

the cumstain that is left on the wall 11 years after the party has ended

Ballkicks: (+611 / -61)
Reg. Date: Dec 2003
Reply 16 of 17 (Originally posted on: 05-20-08 04:33:33 PM)

Quoted from Tristan:
aynone catch his cameo in this one? its defiantely flashier than in the other movies.

Hugh Heffner
Rather than filling it overfull, its better to stop in time.
Sharpen the blade to a point, but the edge won’t last forever.
Gold and jade may fill the house, but no one can retain them for eternity.
Boasting of wealth and virtue, brings trouble on oneself.
Reticence when the job is done, is the Way of heaven.
wheezy
The Reel RS Krew
Lord Handsome

The next time you wanna call a coon a nigger, call that spearchucker a jungle bunny instead. I know, I know... nigger rolls off the tongue so easy, but there is a world of rarely used racial slurs that we need to start utilizing. White power!

Ballkicks: (+527 / -190)
Reg. Date: Dec 2001
Reply 17 of 17 (Originally posted on: 05-22-08 11:55:39 AM)

Quote:
I mean really - you could film me making macaroni and cheese, and it would have a plot with more substance and depth.

I'd probably wait for that to come out on rental.

Anyway, you just didn't like any of the plot? The whole "Oh I'm a weapons dealer but now I don't want to be" and him becoming a hero? I'll admit the plot isn't that amazing, but I don't think that the plot should be the main focus when you see this movie.
U CANT TRICK THE TRICKSTER

Moderator of the Proud Inside Discussions Forum.
www.uselessstatic.com
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 704 | Total Posts: 17 ]