Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Discussion Forums > The "Song A Day" Thread Forum > Should I take Russian or Arabic? > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest. Moderated by: D drahnier
Page: [ 1 2 ] [ Thread Views: 2008 | Total Posts: 41 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
Angus

D'oh!

Ballkicks: (+621 / -84)
Reg. Date: Jun 2004
(Originally posted on: 04-16-08 05:06:27 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

I have to make a schedule for next autumn, and I don't know what classes to take. The academic adviser told me I wouldn't be completely fucking myself over if I had a liberal arts degree instead of engineering or business, so that made me feel better.

I'm thinking of double majoring in Chinese and another language, and I'm stuck between making that other language Arabic or Russian. I plan to learn both ultimately, but I gotta choose which one right now. I know Arabic could get me a job, but I'd rather not work for the State Department or have to be shipped off to Kuwait City for some business. Russian girls would probably put out a lot more. But I don't know which one to pick.

Help me INTL!
Mr Excitable
INTL Premium Member
My girlfriend is the Michelin Man

Ballkicks: (+514 / -60)
Reg. Date: Jan 2003
Reply 1 of 41 (Originally posted on: 04-16-08 05:16:50 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

Russia is back on the rise in Europe. go with the Russian.
Tackle 'em all. Let the referee sort it out later.
Zippo
pooooooop

Leveling entire cities with her magnificient girl-cock

Ballkicks: (+1097 / -49)
Reg. Date: Nov 2002
Reply 2 of 41 (Originally posted on: 04-16-08 05:19:39 PM)

A lot of Arabic courses are actually Classical Arabic, which no one actually speaks, so make sure it is a Modern Arabic course if that is what you decide to choose.

Why are your choices Arabic or Russian? Why not something slightly more practical (like Spanish)?
Quotables
[22:36] sunniesrevenge: I don't have to be drunk to love you
[01:31] DeathofSmokey: I am a man and therefore a tool for women to utilize as they wish
[16:52] rchif0: i want your cock

Apprenticed under Kage-STFU the art of bujutsu
"It is in Men that we must place our hope." - Gandalf the Grey
emtilt

the cow of horses

Ballkicks: (+486 / -41)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
Reply 3 of 41 (Originally posted on: 04-16-08 05:23:54 PM)

Between the two, Russian is what I'd learn. Neither would be my first choice though.
this is my music i hope you like it
this is music i listen to these are movies i like these are books i like
Angus

D'oh!

Reply 4 of 41 (Originally posted on: 04-16-08 05:29:38 PM)

It's Modern Arabic, so I'm not getting tricked or anything.

O yea and I should've mentioned this. I already know French and Spanish from high school, so I'm not gonna waste a class on that. I want to take really hard languages in college that I otherwise couldn't learn on my own. German, Portuguese, Italian, etc are languages that I can easily learn outside of school when I have the time.
Snook
INTL Premium Member

enlightening 6 year olds on the horrors of war

Ballkicks: (+247 / -65)
Reg. Date: Jun 2003
Reply 5 of 41 (Originally posted on: 04-16-08 05:37:51 PM)

Arabic. We can learn together.
Hello my name is Kristoffer J°rgensen and I am from Norweigen I come to see hot USA girls and history landmarks!!
emtilt

the cow of horses

Ballkicks: (+486 / -41)
Reply 6 of 41 (Originally posted on: 04-16-08 05:42:13 PM)

I forgot to include my justifications for Russian:

1. "Russia is back on the rise in Europe. go with the Russian."
  2. Andrei Tarkovsky
  3. Fyodor Dostoevsky
  4. Nikolai Gogol
  5. etc.

this is my music i hope you like it
this is music i listen to these are movies i like these are books i like
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

gotta get that VICTORY ROYALE #gamer #memes #LoL

Ballkicks: (+1782 / -130)
Reply 7 of 41 (Originally posted on: 04-16-08 05:53:17 PM)

Don't learn German, it's horrible.
Sunn O)))
INTL Alumni
14 year RP master

Zan-beef

Ballkicks: (+761 / -127)
Reply 8 of 41 (Originally posted on: 04-16-08 05:58:11 PM)

I would still like to learn Arabic, but that's because of personal preference and one option to where I'd like to end up. Either are okay languages. Russian would be easier. Other than the character set - which, in all honesty, isn't that many new characters - the language is easy to pick up. For the most part it's phonetic.
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

Reply 9 of 41 (Originally posted on: 04-16-08 06:03:45 PM)

I guess I would choose to learn Arabic, because a) it seems more interesting, b) possible business travel is in warm areas and not the bitter, frozen north, c) Arab food is much, much better than Russian food (so much better), d) Russians are scary

But really I would reconsider these and choose Spanish if I were you.
Angus

D'oh!

Reply 10 of 41 (Originally posted on: 04-16-08 06:06:02 PM)

I already know Spanish. Everybody knows Spanish. Todo el mundo!

Russians are scary as hell, but so are Arabs. MAGUSMAGUSMAGUSMAGUS
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

Reply 11 of 41 (Originally posted on: 04-16-08 06:13:06 PM)

Yeah, everyone knows Spanish, but it's good to know it so you can speak it. They have the best curse words and the chicks are hot and Spain is fucking great and I bet South America is too.

Knowing how to read and listen to a language is a lot different from knowing how to speak it, and Spanish is easy enough that it's quite feasible to get to that point within a few years.
wheezy
The Reel RS Krew
Lord Handsome

The next time you wanna call a coon a nigger, call that spearchucker a jungle bunny instead. I know, I know... nigger rolls off the tongue so easy, but there is a world of rarely used racial slurs that we need to start utilizing. White power!

Ballkicks: (+527 / -190)
Reg. Date: Dec 2001
Reply 12 of 41 (Originally posted on: 04-16-08 06:21:33 PM)

Quote:
I bet South America is too.

I will take that bet, sir.
U CANT TRICK THE TRICKSTER

Moderator of the Proud Inside Discussions Forum.
www.uselessstatic.com
Angus

D'oh!

Reply 13 of 41 (Originally posted on: 04-16-08 06:27:02 PM)

Quoted from ice:
Yeah, everyone knows Spanish, but it's good to know it so you can speak it. They have the best curse words and the chicks are hot and Spain is fucking great and I bet South America is too.

Knowing how to read and listen to a language is a lot different from knowing how to speak it, and Spanish is easy enough that it's quite feasible to get to that point within a few years.

I've already gotten to that point with Spanish. I'm deciding whether to get to that point with Arabic or Russian first.
D
Administrator

i didn't have the strength to get it all the way off

Ballkicks: (+1950 / -91)
Reply 14 of 41 (Originally posted on: 04-16-08 06:41:12 PM)

Jose forget Russian and Arabic you should really learn Spanish
mmac
INTL Premium Member
it's INTL, not the fucking UN - Amphy

3ms will rise again

Ballkicks: (+254 / -35)
Reg. Date: Feb 2005
Reply 15 of 41 (Originally posted on: 04-16-08 06:49:16 PM)

Kuwait City isn't that bad of a place (as long as you're not in the military)

Also, there are TONS of jobs with oil companies, and other related industries that probably out pay the state department x10 knowing german, would probably be great to go along with that as many engineers over there are german.
http://www.michaelmcelhinney.com

An atom walks into a bar looking very depressed.
Bartender: What's wrong?
Atom: I've just lost an electron.
Bartender: Are you sure?
Atom: Yeah, I'm positive.
wheezy
The Reel RS Krew
Lord Handsome

The next time you wanna call a coon a nigger, call that spearchucker a jungle bunny instead. I know, I know... nigger rolls off the tongue so easy, but there is a world of rarely used racial slurs that we need to start utilizing. White power!

Ballkicks: (+527 / -190)
Reg. Date: Dec 2001
Reply 16 of 41 (Originally posted on: 04-16-08 07:15:28 PM)

I know in American there aren't THAT many people who speak Russian or Arabic. Seeing as how Mexico is directly south of us, you might want to look into learning Spanish. Might be more useful.
U CANT TRICK THE TRICKSTER

Moderator of the Proud Inside Discussions Forum.
www.uselessstatic.com
Zippo
pooooooop

Leveling entire cities with her magnificient girl-cock

Ballkicks: (+1097 / -49)
Reg. Date: Nov 2002
Reply 17 of 41 (Originally posted on: 04-16-08 07:37:21 PM)

Quoted from JosÚ Rizal:
I already know French and Spanish from high school, so I'm not gonna waste a class on that.

I'm going to call your bluff on this for good reason. The typical high school language course teaches you enough for basic conversation. Unless you were a hardcore language student in high school or participated in an immersion program, I doubt you have mastered these languages well enough to be taken seriously in a professional setting with native speakers. The best way to improve your skills is through constant practice, and if you don't have access to that level of practice, then at least taking more courses can afford you that opportunity.
Quotables
[22:36] sunniesrevenge: I don't have to be drunk to love you
[01:31] DeathofSmokey: I am a man and therefore a tool for women to utilize as they wish
[16:52] rchif0: i want your cock

Apprenticed under Kage-STFU the art of bujutsu
"It is in Men that we must place our hope." - Gandalf the Grey
Ma-Newer
League of Super Sluts

It all became very clear to me sitting out there today that every decision Iĺve ever made in my entire life has been wrong.

Ballkicks: (+1024 / -49)
Reg. Date: Sep 2003
Reply 18 of 41 (Originally posted on: 04-16-08 08:36:58 PM)

If you want a complex, foreign language why not do Japanese? That way you can travel to Japan and go to town with your large american penis.
Never argue with stupid people. They will drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

D
Administrator

i didn't have the strength to get it all the way off

Ballkicks: (+1950 / -91)
Reply 19 of 41 (Originally posted on: 04-16-08 08:45:35 PM)

Quoted from wheezy:
I know in American there aren't THAT many people who speak Russian or Arabic. Seeing as how Mexico is directly south of us, you might want to look into learning Spanish. Might be more useful.

I agree, learning Spanish will be beneficial because you will be able to communicate in, in Spanish, with Spanish speaking peoples. Which there are many of in and around this country. Its really the better decision you should reconsider.
jackattack
Too good for Chex cereal

juvenile

Ballkicks: (+27 / -24)
Reg. Date: Apr 2008
Reply 20 of 41 (Originally posted on: 04-16-08 09:40:13 PM)

If you take arabic, you have a shot at being in the FBI or CIA due to recent times, but there are some really funny russian insults lol. I read a book on them in borders once...Something about your mother...over seven fences...
I think therefore i am not... Stupid.
"sometimes you gotta grab life by the haunches and *obscure face* Hump it into submission!"
Pertti Susilainen
Head Priest

mr. sukkit

Ballkicks: (+924 / -57)
Reg. Date: Dec 2002
Reply 21 of 41 (Originally posted on: 04-17-08 01:32:38 AM)

I'd go with Russian. I think it's more beautiful than Arabic, but this is a matter of taste. On the other hand, Arabic is probably more useful right now (provided you're good with dialectal variations). The Cyrillic alphabet is much easier for a Westerner, but I reckon it'd only take you about a week to master the Arabic script if you tried hard enough, so that's not really an issue.
đonne onwŠcne­ eft wineleas guma, gesih­ him biforan fealwe wegas, ba■ian brimfuglas, brŠdan fe■ra, hreosan hrim ond snaw hagle gemenged. Ůonne beo­ ■y hefigran heortan benne, sare Šfter swŠsne. Sorg bi­ geniwad ■onne maga gemynd mod geondhweorfe­, grete­ gliwstafum, georne geondsceawa­ secga geseldan; swimma­ oft on weg. Fleotendra fer­ no ■Šr fela bringe­ cu­ra cwidegiedda.
The Wanderer, l. 45-55a
Sixten Sparre
╔pater la bourgeoisie

wears neckerchiefs

Ballkicks: (+1184 / -307)
Reg. Date: Sep 2002
Reply 22 of 41 (Originally posted on: 04-17-08 04:23:01 AM)

Quoted from emtilt:
I forgot to include my justifications for Russian:

1. "Russia is back on the rise in Europe. go with the Russian."
  2. Andrei Tarkovsky
  3. Fyodor Dostoevsky
  4. Nikolai Gogol
  5. etc.

among others....but really, one would have to spend years before being so good that you read them in russian
Tough, Unique, Bad, Bodacious, and Sassy.
atlas sighed (at me)
User is currently banned until further notice.

Reply 23 of 41 (Originally posted on: 04-17-08 08:22:34 AM)

Quote:
I agree, learning Spanish will be beneficial because you will be able to communicate in, in Spanish, with Spanish speaking peoples. Which there are many of in and around this country. Its really the better decision you should reconsider.

because we all know they don't have the mental capacity to learn english!

lol @ racism
Angus

D'oh!

Reply 24 of 41 (Originally posted on: 04-17-08 09:24:39 AM)

Quoted from Zippo:
Quoted from JosÚ Rizal:
I already know French and Spanish from high school, so I'm not gonna waste a class on that.

I'm going to call your bluff on this for good reason. The typical high school language course teaches you enough for basic conversation. Unless you were a hardcore language student in high school or participated in an immersion program, I doubt you have mastered these languages well enough to be taken seriously in a professional setting with native speakers. The best way to improve your skills is through constant practice, and if you don't have access to that level of practice, then at least taking more courses can afford you that opportunity.

I took it for five years in high school, got well above the "conversational" level, and often chat with a guy in my hallway who is from the Dominican Republic. I occasionally forget some expressions here and there, but it's nothing that ten days immersed with a few Spanish speakers couldn't fix. I'm not going to waste an entire semester or an entire year learning a language that I essentially already know.

So everyone stop with the Spanish. I'm looking for the choice between Arabic and Russian, and I have narrowed it down to those choices for good reasons.
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 2 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 2008 | Total Posts: 41 ]