Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Discussion Forums > The "Song A Day" Thread Forum > Sleep > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest. Moderated by: D drahnier
Page: [ 1 2 3 ] [ Thread Views: 3085 | Total Posts: 52 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
Snook
INTL Premium Member

enlightening 6 year olds on the horrors of war

Ballkicks: (+247 / -65)
Reg. Date: Jun 2003
(Originally posted on: 03-21-08 09:23:40 AM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

How do you usually sleep? Not like "oh I sleep on my side" but do you get enough rest, have insomnia, can go off of 4 hours a night, etc.

I tend to like having long days, so I have to force myself into bed by 12 or 1 AM, and even then I never get enough sleep because it takes me ages to fall asleep. Then when I finally do, I tend to sleep in fits; that is, I wake up a lot. Usually 3 or 4 times a night. Thus I'm never really fully rested, and it kinda sucks.

Actually, if anyone has tips that'd be great.
Hello my name is Kristoffer J°rgensen and I am from Norweigen I come to see hot USA girls and history landmarks!!
poop
$$~~~Crips~~~$$
slooooooooooooots

i'd expect more sorcery in a place called mana pools

Ballkicks: (+731 / -71)
Reg. Date: May 2002
Reply 1 of 52 (Originally posted on: 03-21-08 10:10:19 AM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

Drugs.

Either sleeping pills, or just go au-naturel and smoke some weed to calm you down.
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

gotta get that VICTORY ROYALE #gamer #memes #LoL

Ballkicks: (+1782 / -130)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
Reply 2 of 52 (Originally posted on: 03-21-08 10:11:13 AM)

I sleep a lot, but I actually feel most rested when I sleep around six hours at night and then maybe a short nap during the day.

But I am lazy and drink a lot which means I sleep for about 10 hours a night usually from like 4 or 5 AM to 12 or 2 PM.
Snook
INTL Premium Member

Reply 3 of 52 (Originally posted on: 03-21-08 10:15:51 AM)

Quoted from Tartarus:
Drugs.

Either sleeping pills, or just go au-naturel and smoke some weed to calm you down.

I do get the best nights sleep whilst high/drunk. Unfortunately it isn't much of a viable alternative right now.

Oh and sleeping pills scare me.

Second question: Do you dream at all? How often if you do?
Hello my name is Kristoffer J°rgensen and I am from Norweigen I come to see hot USA girls and history landmarks!!
mmac
INTL Premium Member
it's INTL, not the fucking UN - Amphy

3ms will rise again

Ballkicks: (+254 / -35)
Reg. Date: Feb 2005
Reply 4 of 52 (Originally posted on: 03-21-08 11:09:30 AM)

I sleep 4-6 hours a night usually. I don't like sleeping in much past 10 or so. I also don't sleep well by myself. I have nightmares, and grind my teeth a lot MAGUSMAGUSMAGUSMAGUS

I've taken ambien on and off for a while, and it really helps me sleep much better, and wake up rested.
http://www.michaelmcelhinney.com

An atom walks into a bar looking very depressed.
Bartender: What's wrong?
Atom: I've just lost an electron.
Bartender: Are you sure?
Atom: Yeah, I'm positive.
Tazzo
teh TEH evar EVAR funnay FUNNAY :rolleyes:

When a couple of kids who were up to good started making trouble in my neighborhood

Ballkicks: (+668 / -110)
Reg. Date: Aug 2003
Reply 5 of 52 (Originally posted on: 03-21-08 11:16:13 AM)

One time I went to sleep when I waas really drunk and high and apparently in the middle of the night I shot up out of bed, grabbed my head, shouted "HIS VOICE! HIS VOICE!", took the sheets and lay in an embryo position all curled up on the floor.

Generally I like to cuddle my girlfriend and then go to sleep. Otherwise it's hard to get to sleep. MAGUSMAGUSMAGUSMAGUS
Hoff
Lightnin' Hopkins

Helping a brother out.

Ballkicks: (+192 / -38)
Reg. Date: Jan 2006
Reply 6 of 52 (Originally posted on: 03-21-08 11:17:28 AM)

I wish all I had to do was sleep and eat, they are my two favorite things. Normally during the typical week day I get around 6-7 hours of sleep. That leaves me feeling exhausted the whole day. Today I skipped my only class and ended up sleeping for 12 hours, I love it, but now I wasted the day.

I usually wake up around dawn everyday, my room doesn't get really bright or anything, I'm just really sensitive to light when I'm trying to sleep. I have to sleep with a blanket or a shirt over my eyes every night otherwise I won't be able to fall asleep. And even then I normally lay in bed for a long time before falling asleep.

Also, getting in the habit of just passing out drunk to sleep is a good way to sleep, but when you aren't drunk it makes it impossible to sleep. After I first turned 21 I drank a lot, and when I finally slowed down a bit and started to sleep sober again, it was almost as if I forgot how to sleep. It sucked.
Snook
INTL Premium Member

Reply 7 of 52 (Originally posted on: 03-21-08 11:20:42 AM)

Hoff I sympathize with you on pretty much every count.
Amphytrite
Hard for Drah

I don't really even like hearing about it or reading about it

Ballkicks: (+1869 / -83)
Reg. Date: Apr 2004
Reply 8 of 52 (Originally posted on: 03-21-08 11:23:26 AM)

I had chronic insomnia until three years ago when the crazy doctor prescribed me Seroquel. It knocked me out for about 12 hours a day, & when I woke up I was extremely drowsy until I was used to it. That was fun.

Now I sleep anywhere from 3 hours a night to 14, depending on my schedule. Usually I get around 5, if I'm lucky, but on weekends I'm out until my alarm wakes me up at 2 or I can't sleep anymore.

If I have dreams I can remember, they're almost always lucid. I don't dream very often--once or twice a month, at most, from what I remember.
i am raising my eyebrow

Vissario: i am here to serve
Amphy: then make me a sandwich.
Vissario: holy shit
Vissario: u just did not say that, sugaboo

Sunny: I'm actually vissario in disguise
Sith
INTL Premium Member
Mango

Snake high score hog

Ballkicks: (+50 / -6)
Reg. Date: Jun 2004
Reply 9 of 52 (Originally posted on: 03-21-08 11:32:58 AM)

I sleep with great difficulty; almost every position is uncomfortable.

A complete pain in the ass when I want to have intentional lucid dreams. The ones I have when I realise what's going on mid-dream almost always suck.
Ztolk
INTL Premium Member
Rawr.

definitely threw the blue lego

Ballkicks: (+838 / -47)
Reply 10 of 52 (Originally posted on: 03-21-08 01:04:17 PM)

I'm not an easy sleeper. Lately I've been wearing some industrial headphones to block the noise. It can be uncomfortable, but it usually blocks the noise pretty well. I read a book at night until I can't keep my eyes/the book open for more than a few seconds, then I try to sleep.
"I used the internet to get laid once. That is not a shining moment of pride for me. The worst thing? She evidently gave me chlamydia, which I evidently got cleared up."
-Wandering Idiot
Pertti Susilainen
Head Priest

mr. sukkit

Ballkicks: (+924 / -57)
Reg. Date: Dec 2002
Reply 11 of 52 (Originally posted on: 03-21-08 01:40:53 PM)

I have no sleep problems so I laugh at most of you. I sleep 7-8 hours a day (usually closer to 7), that's perfect for me. If I sleep more than that, I actually feel more tired the next morning.
đonne onwŠcne­ eft wineleas guma, gesih­ him biforan fealwe wegas, ba■ian brimfuglas, brŠdan fe■ra, hreosan hrim ond snaw hagle gemenged. Ůonne beo­ ■y hefigran heortan benne, sare Šfter swŠsne. Sorg bi­ geniwad ■onne maga gemynd mod geondhweorfe­, grete­ gliwstafum, georne geondsceawa­ secga geseldan; swimma­ oft on weg. Fleotendra fer­ no ■Šr fela bringe­ cu­ra cwidegiedda.
The Wanderer, l. 45-55a
poop
$$~~~Crips~~~$$
slooooooooooooots

Reply 12 of 52 (Originally posted on: 03-21-08 02:29:29 PM)

Somebody told me once that your body regenerates in cycles of 3 hours, so the best sleep you can get is integer multiples of 3 hours. So he was trying to convince me that getting 7 hours of sleep will leave you feeling more tired than 6 hours of sleep, because in either case you still only have "regeneration cycles", and with the 7-hour one you'll wake up with your body thinking it needs another 2 more hours to get to 9 total.

Could all be bullshit though.
Ztolk
INTL Premium Member
Rawr.

Reply 13 of 52 (Originally posted on: 03-21-08 03:22:14 PM)

If there was an experiment done to test that, it's probably been published. Ask him for the data!
"I used the internet to get laid once. That is not a shining moment of pride for me. The worst thing? She evidently gave me chlamydia, which I evidently got cleared up."
-Wandering Idiot
Sunn O)))
INTL Alumni
14 year RP master

Zan-beef

Ballkicks: (+761 / -127)
Reply 14 of 52 (Originally posted on: 03-21-08 03:30:50 PM)

Quoted from Sukkit:
I have no sleep problems so I laugh at most of you. I sleep 7-8 hours a day (usually closer to 7), that's perfect for me. If I sleep more than that, I actually feel more tired the next morning.

I'm much the same.

The only time I really have trouble sleeping is when I'm nervous, anxious or can't stop thinking. It's about that time that I end up going on the net and having long conversations with people (ie. Sandamnit) until into the morning.

I can't sleep on my back or my chest, I have to sleep on my side and I like to have something to hold or put my arm around. I also don't mind leaning up against something like a pillow against a wall (or a person MAGUSMAGUSMAGUSMAGUS)

I um, also tend to sleep inbetween two comforters, I find sheets to be a bit rough.
Ztolk
INTL Premium Member
Rawr.

Reply 15 of 52 (Originally posted on: 03-21-08 03:32:23 PM)

Quote:
The only time I really have trouble sleeping is when I'm nervous, anxious or can't stop thinking. It's about that time that I end up going on the net and having long conversations with people (ie. Sandamnit) until into the morning.

I have that. If I know I have to be up early the next day, I tend not to be able to sleep. A big chunk of my thesis was done during small bouts of insomnia.
-Wandering Idiot
poop
$$~~~Crips~~~$$
slooooooooooooots

Reply 16 of 52 (Originally posted on: 03-21-08 03:55:03 PM)

Quoted from Ztolk:
If there was an experiment done to test that, it's probably been published. Ask him for the data!

I don't know how you'd quantify "tiredness".
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

gotta get that VICTORY ROYALE #gamer #memes #LoL

Ballkicks: (+1782 / -130)
Reply 17 of 52 (Originally posted on: 03-21-08 03:56:53 PM)

I forgot to mention that I can basically fall asleep at any time, seriously, if I'm sitting in a quiet, dark room for more than three or five minutes I will probably fall asleep. Actually, thinking about it, it doesn't have to be that dark, or quiet.
Hoff
Lightnin' Hopkins

Helping a brother out.

Ballkicks: (+192 / -38)
Reg. Date: Jan 2006
Reply 18 of 52 (Originally posted on: 03-21-08 03:57:46 PM)

Quoted from Tartarus:
Quoted from Ztolk:

I remember reading somewhere that in europe they use sleepiliters, not sure about in America though.
Wandering Idiot
INTL Premium Member

Surely something dumber has come up since my apparent forgetfulness for STDs and doctor visits.

Ballkicks: (+257 / -16)
Reg. Date: Jul 2003
Reply 19 of 52 (Originally posted on: 03-21-08 04:15:12 PM)

Quoted from Sunny:

I um, also tend to sleep inbetween two comforters, I find sheets to be a bit rough.

Have you tried a higher thread count sheets, or organic material sheets? I have 210 count of something organic I can't remember and they're extremely soft.

I usually go to bed late (12am-2am), wake up at 7am, if not earlier, and on weekends I'll nap it for a few hours. Most nights I can't get to sleep for a bit so I wind up staring at the ceiling for an hour or so, unless I'm thoroughly exhausted.

Come to think of it, I haven't really slept "well" in a number of years. I get rare "good sleep" but nothing like I did 5 years ago.
Sixten Sparre
╔pater la bourgeoisie

wears neckerchiefs

Ballkicks: (+1184 / -307)
Reg. Date: Sep 2002
Reply 20 of 52 (Originally posted on: 03-21-08 06:39:31 PM)

i'm bad at sleeping cause i can't stop thinking! but i love to sleep, and when i do i dream almost all the time..

I have to sleep up against something, i don't dig big beds, i need my head and atleast one of my sides up against a wall, so i put my bed in the corners of rooms, i like to curl up

I hate those stretchy things you put over your bead, it has to be linen, and i prefer silk sheets, and i have to have my head in a high position
Tough, Unique, Bad, Bodacious, and Sassy.
mmac
INTL Premium Member
it's INTL, not the fucking UN - Amphy

3ms will rise again

Ballkicks: (+254 / -35)
Reg. Date: Feb 2005
Reply 21 of 52 (Originally posted on: 03-21-08 07:10:57 PM)

I have some 1000 thread count sheets I got off overstock.com a few years ago. I don't use a middle sheet, just the bottom sheet, and my nice down comforter with a cover on it.

Silk sheets bother me.
http://www.michaelmcelhinney.com

An atom walks into a bar looking very depressed.
Bartender: What's wrong?
Atom: I've just lost an electron.
Bartender: Are you sure?
Atom: Yeah, I'm positive.
Ztolk
INTL Premium Member
Rawr.

Reply 22 of 52 (Originally posted on: 03-21-08 08:45:30 PM)

Quoted from Tartarus:
Quoted from Ztolk:

There's lots of different indexes, questionaires, etc for that stuff. My housemate is doing her thesis on sleepiness and how it relates to driving, so I hear a lot about that stuff.
-Wandering Idiot
ba
INTL Premium Member
Captain of the Cool Kids

and i said, a\re you a gay ass fucker who can't take a baseball up the ass you faggot???? and he said yes........

Ballkicks: (+456 / -62)
Reg. Date: Apr 2003
Reply 23 of 52 (Originally posted on: 03-21-08 11:11:40 PM)

Really well. I prefer to get 8-10+ hours of sleep and I stay asleep for most if not the whole time. I almost always wake up after about 7 hours (or about 9am whichever comes first) which is my deciding point of if I should wake up or go back to sleep... but usually the latter. I can mostly function and go to work and stuff on under 4 hours of sleep but mostly I'm just counting down the seconds until I get to take a nap.

Also, stuff like a cat plopping down on my stomach or roomie noises or light don't wake me up, but the front or back doors being jostiled with or 'suspicious' sounds will wake me up immediately.
~British[/whisper] Agent
[whisper].___.
{O,o} O RLY?
/)__)
-"-"-
Links: Penny Arcade, YTMND, Something Awful.
poop
$$~~~Crips~~~$$
slooooooooooooots

Reply 24 of 52 (Originally posted on: 03-22-08 09:42:33 AM)

Quoted from Ztolk:
There's lots of different indexes, questionaires, etc for that stuff. My housemate is doing her thesis on sleepiness and how it relates to driving, so I hear a lot about that stuff.

so in other words, not science. I hate this kind of qualitative data found in psychology type experiments.

I think I've heard yawning is a reaction your body has when the oxygen levels in your blood/muscles is getting low. I wonder if you could somehow relate oxygen levels in your blood to tiredness. If so, you could at least properly quantify the claim (6 hours is better than 7 hours).
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 2 3 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 3085 | Total Posts: 52 ]