Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Site Comments > Archives > Archived Forums > Linux Corner: computers for something other than windows? WHAT > MASS EFFECT: Coming to PC in May > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest.
Page: [ 1 ] [ Thread Views: 1855 | Total Posts: 16 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
Acheron
INTL Premium Member
If I die in Raleigh, at least I will die free.

is this guy acheron???????? hahaha acheron you big fag

Ballkicks: (+224 / -116)
Reg. Date: Mar 2004
(Originally posted on: 02-16-08 12:14:47 AM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

Full Text of Article follows.

Quoted from Business%20Wire[/url">]Mass Effect to Land on PC in May 2008
Award-Winning Epic Will Be Published By EA

REDWOOD CITY, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Leading video game developer, BioWare™, an Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ:ERTS) company, has announced that the award-winning space epic Mass Effect™ will be released for the PC in May 2008. Published by EA and re-designed for the PC, Mass Effect invites players to take the role of Commander Shepard as they set out on an adventure to save the galaxy from imminent destruction. Wrought with treachery, heroism, difficult decisions and a universe filled with unique and colorful species, Mass Effect delivers a truly compelling storyline.

Optimized for the PC, Mass Effect for the PC incorporates the following features:

Optimized controls designed specifically for the PC.
High resolution visuals – Mass Effect for the PC features highly detailed textures, characters and environments.
Fully customizable controls – PC gamers can re-map the control scheme any way they like.
Run & Gun Control – Players can assign biotic powers or skills to ‘hot keys’ allowing them to play Mass Effect with a heavier focus on action.
New decryption mini-game.
New inventory screen GUI and functionality – The enhanced inventory system makes it easier for players to equip and modify their weapons and armor.
“Mass Effect serves as a powerful example of video games as an art form, delivering new levels of emotional intensity, realistic characters and a gripping storyline – all set in a compelling new universe,” said Ray Muzyka, General Manager, BioWare and Vice President, Electronic Arts. Frank Gibeau, President of EA’s Games Label added, “EA has struck an agreement with Microsoft to handle future publishing for Mass Effect. We are looking forward to releasing Mass Effect on the PC this Spring and brand new titles in the future.”

Originally released for the Xbox 360™ videogame and entertainment system, Mass Effect has received critical acclaim throughout the world with more than 70 awards including Game of the Year, Console Game of the Year and Role-Playing Game of the Year. Mass Effect combines a deep story with intense combat and challenges the player to make difficult decisions that can significantly impact the course of events. An innovative conversation system allows for lifelike interaction with some of the most realistic digital actors, voiced by Hollywood actors such as Seth Green, Marina Sirtis, Lance Henriksen and Keith David. Mass Effect for the PC has not yet been rated by the Entertainment Software Rating Board.

About BioWare

BioWare is an electronic entertainment company which develops computer, console, handheld and online video games focused on rich stories and memorable characters. Since 1995, BioWare has created some of the world's best-selling titles including the award-winning Baldur's Gate™ and Neverwinter Nights™ series, and Star Wars®: Knights of the Old Republic™. Original BioWare-created IPs include Jade Empire™ and the 2007 Game of the Year, Mass Effect™. With studios in Edmonton, Canada, and Austin, Texas, BioWare is hard at work on the epic fantasy RPG, Dragon Age, Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood for the Nintendo DS™, as well as several unannounced projects including a massively multiplayer online game. In 2008, BioWare was acquired by the world’s leading electronic entertainment publisher, Electronic Arts. For more information on BioWare, visit
www.bioware.com.

About Electronic Arts

Electronic Arts Inc. (EA), headquartered in Redwood City, California, is the world's leading interactive entertainment software company. Founded in 1982, the company develops, publishes, and distributes interactive software worldwide for video game systems, personal computers, cellular handsets and the Internet. Electronic Arts markets its products under four brand names: EA SPORTS™, EA™, EA SPORTS BIG™ and POGO™. In fiscal 2007, EA posted revenue of $3.09 billion and had 24 titles that sold more than one million copies. EA's homepage and online game site is www.ea.com. More information about EA's products and full text of press releases can be found on the Internet at [url]http://info.ea.com

And Here I was looking for a cheap 360. I was thinking the Arcade version (they supposedly fixed the overheating problem). But hey, fuck that. I'll just wait till may and spend the money on a quad-core processor.
"All governments lie, but disaster lies in wait for countries whose officials smoke the same hashish they give out." -IF Stone
Ryan
Big Sausage Pizza

From west philadelphia born and raised on the playground it's said I spent most of my days

Ballkicks: (+64 / -17)
Reg. Date: Nov 2006
Reply 1 of 16 (Originally posted on: 02-16-08 12:46:37 AM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

Hmm, I hope they fix the inventory problems in a patch for the 360, it's the most irritating thing in the game.

Also, the new content download is in March, looks like they are adding some good stuff.
TheShadowDawn
Cautiously optimistic

Draggy

Ballkicks: (+82 / -11)
Reg. Date: Apr 2002
Reply 2 of 16 (Originally posted on: 02-16-08 03:59:57 AM)

Goddamnit. I was convinced to buy a 360 solely because of Mass Effect, because every one of Bioware's games I have longed for when they were released on xbox (well, KOTOR, Jade Empire, KOTOR2) and I decided I was sick of being an anti-console gamer simply under the rationale that I could save money.

And now, for once, they do a modest 6 month dev cycle to port it to PC. Same with Gears of War.

Not only that, the PC version won't have tedious elevator rides because we'll be able to take advantage of this amazing technology known as a hard drive. (Why, why god do MS not allow games to install data on the 360 hard drive.)

Not to mention that with the cost outlay on a 360, I can more than afford to upgrade my computer to take on any current game.

In short, this news makes me feel like a dirty, consumerist whore.
You live and learn. At any rate, you live.
Ryan
Big Sausage Pizza

From west philadelphia born and raised on the playground it's said I spent most of my days

Reply 3 of 16 (Originally posted on: 02-16-08 08:20:45 AM)

Quoted from TheShadowDawn:
the PC version won't have tedious elevator rides because we'll be able to take advantage of this amazing technology known as a hard drive.

FYI, they aren't really tedious at all. I don't know why people think they take that long. I think the longest I've spent in an elevator was 10 seconds, maybe? and it was a realistic distance. The only irritating thing was the texture mapping when entering a new scene goes all nuts and everything looks flat for a moment.

Also, the PS3 version of Devil May Cry 4 proves that hard drive installation does absolutely nothing for load times.
wheezy
The Reel RS Krew
Lord Handsome

The next time you wanna call a coon a nigger, call that spearchucker a jungle bunny instead. I know, I know... nigger rolls off the tongue so easy, but there is a world of rarely used racial slurs that we need to start utilizing. White power!

Ballkicks: (+527 / -190)
Reg. Date: Dec 2001
Reply 4 of 16 (Originally posted on: 02-16-08 11:30:02 PM)

Quote:
Hmm, I hope they fix the inventory problems in a patch for the 360, it's the most irritating thing in the game.

What specifically are you talking about? I don't really like how you get 50,000 items all the time, and constantly need to sell/turn into omni-gel....also, when trying to equip and armor I don't like that a turian will be able to see a Korgan armor. But it's not really all THAT irritating. Unless of course you're talking about the 150 item limit thing.
U CANT TRICK THE TRICKSTER

Moderator of the Proud Inside Discussions Forum.
www.uselessstatic.com
Ryan
Big Sausage Pizza

Reply 5 of 16 (Originally posted on: 02-17-08 02:42:42 AM)

There is no organisation for items, so when you want to sell them off or whatever, you have to scroll all the way to the bottom of the list for stuff you want to sell.

Also, when you're inventory is full, and you run into more items, you have to reduce the items to omnigel, and you can't back out.

It's not that bad of a problem, but honestly, it shouldn't be there.
wheezy
The Reel RS Krew
Lord Handsome

The next time you wanna call a coon a nigger, call that spearchucker a jungle bunny instead. I know, I know... nigger rolls off the tongue so easy, but there is a world of rarely used racial slurs that we need to start utilizing. White power!

Reply 6 of 16 (Originally posted on: 02-17-08 04:02:35 PM)

Quoted from Purple:
There is no organisation for items, so when you want to sell them off or whatever, you have to scroll all the way to the bottom of the list for stuff you want to sell.

Also, when you're inventory is full, and you run into more items, you have to reduce the items to omnigel, and you can't back out.

It's not that bad of a problem, but honestly, it shouldn't be there.

Well, the organization for the items as far as selling is cheapest at the top, and most expensive at the bottom. I do agree that it's really stupid. I would much rather prefer based on type (armor/pistols/etc).

I also agree about the forced reducing into omni-gel. But then again, what could they have done? You have 150 items and open up a locked crate with some shit in it. I guess the only other change would be to allow you to reduce ANYTHING in your inventory to omni-gel, rather than just the new items. That would definitely work out better in my opinion.

www.uselessstatic.com
Shadowe

I kinda want to see that up someone's ass

Ballkicks: (+90 / -84)
Reg. Date: Dec 2004
Reply 7 of 16 (Originally posted on: 02-18-08 02:56:46 AM)

Or maybe they could do something that no other game has ever thought of before, like maybe closing the inventory screen and walking away without picking anything up.
Hanlon's Razor: Never assume malice when stupidity will suffice.
goatsnacks
Administrators

"When I decide to brush (maybe once a week)" -Snook, INTL's #1 Scrub

Ballkicks: (+512 / -167)
Reg. Date: Feb 2004
Reply 8 of 16 (Originally posted on: 02-18-08 05:03:14 AM)

I like oblivions in that your characters stats play a role in the amount you carry, and if you want what's in the barrel or crate you have a choice to switch out a current item in your inventory with the ones just found.
Acheron
INTL Premium Member

Reply 9 of 16 (Originally posted on: 02-19-08 06:48:07 AM)

Quoted from the cast of freakaziod:
I like oblivions in that your characters stats play a role in the amount you carry, and if you want what's in the barrel or crate you have a choice to switch out a current item in your inventory with the ones just found.

It just makes it irritating, actually. The game doesn't make things disappear when you drop them on the ground, so just keep track of where you left it and come back later. That system just wastes my time, it doesn't actually provide a better game experience.
"All governments lie, but disaster lies in wait for countries whose officials smoke the same hashish they give out." -IF Stone
Ryan
Big Sausage Pizza

Reply 10 of 16 (Originally posted on: 02-19-08 03:34:45 PM)

I only find Oblivion interesting in small doses, I think I've picked it up and put it down around 8 times now, not actually finishing it.

I only have it on 360, so I can't skip irritating parts. MAGUSMAGUSMAGUSMAGUS
wheezy
The Reel RS Krew
Lord Handsome

Reply 11 of 16 (Originally posted on: 02-19-08 06:53:20 PM)

Was anyone else disappointed that your actions didn't really matter at all? There were generally two different paths you could choose most of the time, renegade or paragorn, but it didn't seem to matter one bit which one you took. The only difference it made was stories on the elevator, and if you got 75% of one "alignment" you get a certain side-quest.

I was hoping that the ending (which was super gay and non-existent) would be different based on the shit you did. Like it would take into account if you did side quests attacking the different geth outposts, and if you gave Talia the one Geth data disc, that maybe the geths would be defeated in the long run.

www.uselessstatic.com
goatsnacks
Administrators

"When I decide to brush (maybe once a week)" -Snook, INTL's #1 Scrub

Ballkicks: (+512 / -167)
Reg. Date: Feb 2004
Reply 12 of 16 (Originally posted on: 02-20-08 04:23:55 AM)

Quoted from Acheron:
Quoted from the cast of freakaziod:

It just makes it irritating, actually. The game doesn't make things disappear when you drop them on the ground, so just keep track of where you left it and come back later. That system just wastes my time, it doesn't actually provide a better game experience.
Sounds like you just suck at Oblivion.
"A man chooses, a slave obeys."
antpocas
"Sex is not dating."
"If it were, Santana and I would be dating.

GLEEK

Ballkicks: (+414 / -233)
Reg. Date: May 2002
Reply 13 of 16 (Originally posted on: 02-23-08 06:26:17 AM)

Eh, I dunno. The game was great on the Xbox 360, but I'm not sure the whole "taking cover" thing works that well on the PC. Also controlling the Mako with the 360 controller was already fucking hard enough and doing it on the PC sounds lçakndsdkngflsnsdfnljksd
Shadowe

I kinda want to see that up someone's ass

Ballkicks: (+90 / -84)
Reg. Date: Dec 2004
Reply 14 of 16 (Originally posted on: 02-23-08 08:38:12 PM)

Can't be worse than flying in battlefield or quake wars with the mouse and keyboard.
Hanlon's Razor: Never assume malice when stupidity will suffice.
wheezy
The Reel RS Krew
Lord Handsome

Reply 15 of 16 (Originally posted on: 02-26-08 01:45:40 PM)

I think, like they said in the article, some things will be nice, like mapping all your different talent powers (throw, lift, shield boost) to keys will be a lot sweeter than hitting RB all the time.

www.uselessstatic.com
Acheron
INTL Premium Member

Reply 16 of 16 (Originally posted on: 06-21-08 12:37:04 PM)

I just wanted to let you all know that I now have Mass Effect on my new PC, and it is everything I thought it could be.

The new override system requires some dexterity with a mouse instead of the ability to play SIMON, and you can press the spacebar to pause and aim abilities for yourself and your squadmates. It makes harder combat a lot easier.

I'm glad I bought this game during the summer, otherwise it would cause me to get Cs in my classes.
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 1855 | Total Posts: 16 ]