Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Site Comments > Archives > Archived Forums > The Arena: Bunch of dudes talking about balls > NHL Fun > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest.
Page: [ 1 2 3 4 5 ... 9 10 11 ] [ Thread Views: 17680 | Total Posts: 251 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
D
Administrator

i didn't have the strength to get it all the way off

Ballkicks: (+1950 / -91)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
(Originally posted on: 02-13-08 01:38:50 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

To not derail another thread,

Quote:
And in other hockey news, anybody getting excited about the trade deadline? Mats Sundin is the biggest name out there, and it's gonna be a feeding frenzy to see who gets him for the playoffs.
I'm guessing Philly is gonna resign Forsberg and try to make a cup-run.

Yeah everyone round here keeps talking about the possibility of getting Forsberg back. If we do, last year's trade )when we traded him away) will become one of the awesomest trades in history.

This year is exciting for the Flyers, they're doing pretty well.

Though the other day I went to check to see how we compared with teams in the Western conference, and was blown away by the Red Wings... Checking now, they have 87 points. 13 points above anyone else. Fucking red-wings...
drahnier
INTL VIP
:iceburn:

Ballkicks: (+886 / -232)
Reply 1 of 251 (Originally posted on: 02-13-08 01:46:04 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

I've been watching the NHL lately because i recently got some sports channels and they have like 3 NHL games a night, and they're on at night when nothing else is on, except old MacGyver episodes.

When i was a kid everyone in Sweden collected hockey cards for a few years, it was huge, and my friends and i all picked favourite teams to make it more fun.
I picked Philadelphia, i'm not sure why, but i still kind of feel like i want them to win a little.
I remember my friend had the Sharks, because we made fun of him when they sucked all the time.

At least we thought they sucked, i'm not sure how much of an idea we actually had.

So Forsberg joining Philadelphia would be pretty cool, especially because it means he's not coming back to Sweden to help MoDo, although i'm not sure if he's of much use these days.

As for Sundin, he's been over there for so long that no one here really remembers him anymore, so he doesn't get much attention.
DRAHNIER
poop
$$~~~Crips~~~$$
slooooooooooooots

i'd expect more sorcery in a place called mana pools

Ballkicks: (+731 / -71)
Reg. Date: May 2002
Reply 2 of 251 (Originally posted on: 02-13-08 01:57:33 PM)

The East is not very good compared to the West. When you look at the Eastern teams in contention, there's no real standout team.

At one point, you might say Ottawa was the standout team. But we all see what happens when one of their top 3 players takes an injury...mad losing streaks. Ottawa's depth is extremely overrated. The trade they made definately made them a BETTER team (Commodore & Stillman for Corvo & Eaves), but they still have alot of holes in their game. Shoddy, non-playoff goaltending (ray emery '08 is not ray emery '07), and a whole crew of soft players with NO heart (aka Antoine Vermette, Chris Kelly). The fact that they are on top only shows that the East isn't very good. They'd get chewed up in the West.

So that leaves the East wide open for a challenger. In all likelihood, it'll be Detroit or Anaheim in the Stanley Cup, but it's so hard to pick who will be there in the East.

If Philly signs Forsberg, and IF HE PLAYS HEALTHY, then Philly will probably be my pick. I don't think Pittsburgh is ready, and I think Montreal is really overachieving right now because of their Powerplay. Montreal will get solved in the playoffs...look for first or second round exit.

HOWEVER, like I said in the other thread, Mats Sundin is basically the biggest Stanley Cup Wildcard in NHL history.

Sundin is comparable to Forsberg in skill, except Sundin is much much more consistent, and like 500 times healthier than pegleg peter. If the Leafs manage to pull off a trade, which they brought in a new GM to handle this very issue, they'll get more in return then Philly got for Forsberg in the original trade.

Sundin + Detroit
Sundin + Calgary
Sundin + Vancouver
Sundin + San Jose

All of those are EXTREMELY deadly. Pretty much, whichever team lands Sundin is an automatic major contender.
poop
$$~~~Crips~~~$$
slooooooooooooots

Reply 3 of 251 (Originally posted on: 02-13-08 02:00:20 PM)

Quoted from anaemic_royalty:

As for Sundin, he's been over there for so long that no one here really remembers him anymore, so he doesn't get much attention.

That's too bad. Do they forget that he was the captain and best player for the gold winning national team?
drahnier
INTL VIP
:iceburn:

Ballkicks: (+886 / -232)
Reply 4 of 251 (Originally posted on: 02-13-08 02:04:39 PM)

Quote:
That's too bad. Do they forget that he was the captain and best player for the gold winning national team?

No, he's just never talked about unless he's currently in a world cup team or something.

Forsberg is.
DRAHNIER
Hoff
Lightnin' Hopkins

Helping a brother out.

Ballkicks: (+192 / -38)
Reg. Date: Jan 2006
Reply 5 of 251 (Originally posted on: 02-13-08 02:11:19 PM)

Damn, the last time the flyers were in the stanley cup i'm pretty sure they lost to those damn red wings.
D
Administrator

Reply 6 of 251 (Originally posted on: 02-13-08 02:48:02 PM)

Quoted from Hoff:
Damn, the last time the flyers were in the stanley cup i'm pretty sure they lost to those damn red wings.

Yup. Thats what sparked my life-long hatred for the Red Wings.
poop
$$~~~Crips~~~$$
slooooooooooooots

Reply 7 of 251 (Originally posted on: 02-13-08 04:17:39 PM)

Top Twenty Five Most Likely Traded Players (or tradeable)
1. Rob Blake 86.3
2. Dan Boyle 85.1
3. Mats Sundin 82.6
4. Mark Recchi 77.4
5. Jason Williams 75.6
6. Ladislav Nagy 75.4
7. Vaclav Prospal 72.1
8. Brad Stuart 71.1
9. Brian Campbell 70.5
10. Martin Gelinas 68.7
11. Marian Hossa 68.5
12. Bobby Holik 68.5
13. Jaroslav Modry 68.1
14. Olli Jokinen 67.9
15. Brian Willsie 67.6
16. Scott Thornton 66.6
17. Geoff Sanderson 65.6
18. Johan Holmqvist 65.6
19. Magnus Johansson 64.3
20. Michal Rozsival 64.3
21. Bryan Berard 63.4
22. Mike Comrie 63.3
23. Yanic Perreault 62.0
24. Mike York 62.0
25. Chris Gratton 61.5

Take your picks. It's from a terrible source, so the order doesn't really mean shit, but the list of names is solid. I'd say a Marian Hossa trade is a definate, and a Rob Blake trade is really likely.
Hasty Penguin
get in the box
People are a danger to society.

there is a guy who gets it on with three girls at once and they all have amazing unibrows

Ballkicks: (+1307 / -46)
Reply 8 of 251 (Originally posted on: 02-13-08 08:40:38 PM)

Philadelphia is having a huge turnaround from last year, which is pretty neat considering I'm not really familiar with any "star" players on the team. Either I've missed them or they've got a solid coaching staff and a team with depth to bring them out of their last place finish last season.

On the other hand, I'm pleased to report that my sentimental value team, The Montreal Canadiens are currently situated 9th in the league (with only a 4 point difference with the 4th place Ducks). Thank God for their goaltending!

Pittsburgh, whom I only have liking for as a result of seeing Lemieux as a childhood hero, is doing pretty swell, which is neat because they've got an interesting mix of players and I see them getting a lot of good young players and developing into a really strong team in the next couple years and I think a Stanley Cup will be headed their direction some time in the next 10 years if they keep up their hard work.

Detroit is scoring immense points quickly yet again, but interestingly, they seem to be doing well against teams outside of their conference, yet have a 7-8-2 record within the conference. Could be another choke season. Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing them lose first round. I think there are more interesting teams. Maybe not better, but more interesting.

The West has been pretty much destroying the East for most of the season - I think Pittsburgh is the only team really doing well against the West with an 8-1-0 record. The other teams tend to break even or lose.

Last year the East was a ton of fun to watch because there were about seven teams toward the end of the season that could potentially make the playoffs, unfortunately the Canadiens failed... but this year it looks like there could be some good races in both conferences. The East is a little tighter again, but the East difference 4th to 12th is only an 11 point difference right now and the West between 4th and 12th is only 13 points. There could be some big turnarounds.
how is this for a quote
Hoff
Lightnin' Hopkins

Helping a brother out.

Ballkicks: (+192 / -38)
Reg. Date: Jan 2006
Reply 9 of 251 (Originally posted on: 02-13-08 08:51:36 PM)

The flyers have Briere (which we picked up in the off season and is a large part of the turn around), Timonen (who we also picked up in the off season and Gagne. Those 3 are probably our biggest names.
Ryan
Big Sausage Pizza

From west philadelphia born and raised on the playground it's said I spent most of my days

Ballkicks: (+64 / -17)
Reg. Date: Nov 2006
Reply 10 of 251 (Originally posted on: 02-13-08 09:00:16 PM)

Yeah, I think so.
abused
i done told you once bitch

Looks and acts like a douche-bag

Ballkicks: (+820 / -208)
Reg. Date: Dec 2002
Reply 11 of 251 (Originally posted on: 02-13-08 09:02:42 PM)

The Devils are taking it down.
Minnesota in the West.
Alyantis
FEMALE

Ballkicks: (+89 / -25)
Reg. Date: Apr 2002
Reply 12 of 251 (Originally posted on: 02-13-08 09:04:08 PM)

Lets go Buff-a-lo. Fucking 7th place right now after being 14th in the standings several weeks ago. They lead the league in PK, and are playing excellent defensive hockey. Vanek just had a hat trick and they seem to be coming together as a team after losing Drury and Briere.
I Cant Skat3: Well, I may be stupid. I'll let others decide that.
D
Administrator

Reply 13 of 251 (Originally posted on: 02-13-08 09:05:18 PM)

Gange's been injured a lot of the season, Briere is a great new star, Timonen is real good also. But probably our strongest player this year has been Mike Richards, he's leading the team in Goals and Points. I'm pretty sure he was at the all-star game. Jeff Carter and Scott Hartnell are also doing a huge part this year. Briere is probably our biggest name, and those other guys are big names too but I think Richards has been better this year than anyone else. Also we have two solid goalies, Biron and Nittymaki who are both getting a lot of games.

But yeah, we don't really have a superstar and thats something fun about this team. There are just a bunch of awesome players out there all the time.
poop
$$~~~Crips~~~$$
slooooooooooooots

Reply 14 of 251 (Originally posted on: 02-13-08 09:07:08 PM)

Quote:
Philadelphia is having a huge turnaround from last year, which is pretty neat considering I'm not really familiar with any "star" players on the team. Either I've missed them or they've got a solid coaching staff and a team with depth to bring them out of their last place finish last season.

Last season was a bust because they were still had a team built around Forsberg, and Forsberg never showed up. Without Forsberg in the lineup, their record was atrocious. With Forsberg, they were decent.

Mike Richards, Jeff Carter and Scott Hartnell are the players I like the most on Philly. They've made some solid drafts (Richards, Gagne and Carter), and the trade they made for Forsberg last season was a steal on their part (Timmonen, Hartnell). They've had Gagne for quite some time, and the Briere signing was pretty much the biggest off-season acquisition.

So, in conclusion, hasty for a canadian you need to brush up on your hockey.

Quote:

On the other hand, I'm pleased to report that my sentimental value team, The Montreal Canadiens are currently situated 9th in the league (with only a 4 point difference with the 4th place Ducks). Thank God for their goaltending!

Montreal's powerplay is 1st in the league. We've all seen how today's NHL is all special teams, and with the amount of penalties they hand out, it's no surprise really.
poop
$$~~~Crips~~~$$
slooooooooooooots

Reply 15 of 251 (Originally posted on: 02-13-08 09:07:41 PM)

Quoted from Alyantis:
Lets go Buff-a-lo. Fucking 7th place right now after being 14th in the standings several weeks ago. They lead the league in PK, and are playing excellent defensive hockey. Vanek just had a hat trick and they seem to be coming together as a team after losing Drury and Briere.

Vanek is such a bust.
Alyantis
FEMALE

Reply 16 of 251 (Originally posted on: 02-13-08 09:08:07 PM)

Briere is also around -20 right now. He's a great offensive player, but unfortunately in tight situations can seem to disappear when he get's out muscled. Awesome to have in shootouts and the rush. I like the team that Philly's assembled, but at the same time I don't really fear them. The east is just so tight right now.
Alyantis
FEMALE

Reply 17 of 251 (Originally posted on: 02-13-08 09:09:55 PM)

Quoted from Alyantis:
Vanek is such a bust

Well agreed, except until now. He's finally started shooting the puck instead of just looking to pass. He's had 7 goals in his last 7 games. He's just been looking better, considering I watch every one of their games. Believe me, all Sabres fans are just like "fucking finally" after he signed that ridiculous contract.
poop
$$~~~Crips~~~$$
slooooooooooooots

Reply 18 of 251 (Originally posted on: 02-13-08 09:10:10 PM)

I agree that Philly should probably add another player if they're serious about the Cup this year. Forsberg, or a big trade like for Sundin or Rob Blake.

Vanek is a bust for that money, really. He's still got alot of upside, and will be a great hockey player in this league. But at his age, he is NOWHERE near ready for that contract.

Just another way that the Edmonton Oilers have fucked over the game of hockey.
Alyantis
FEMALE

Reply 19 of 251 (Originally posted on: 02-13-08 09:19:56 PM)

Oh completely agree that he was not ready for that contact. Thank god it's only that high for the 1st year. In order to keep the morale of the fans up and sell tickets in Buffalo they had to sign him after the front office let Drury and Briere go.

I question the need to add a big player, I think a lot of time it does more harm then good. Although my hockey knowledge is more in recent times, I don't remember too many "game breaking" player trades. Last year when Nashville didn't do shit with Forsberg, and they looked like a legit team without him.

I think Philly may be better off looking to add value when it suits them, but not give away much. In reality they need to secure a legit #1 goalie. They don't really have that right now, just a bunch of streaky goalies.

The East is such a crap shoot. We won't know until the playoffs, unless Ottawa's goal tending gets on a hot streak. I don't know much about the west at all, so I can't speak on much other than it's just so strong there too.
poop
$$~~~Crips~~~$$
slooooooooooooots

Reply 20 of 251 (Originally posted on: 02-13-08 09:25:48 PM)

Between a tandem of Nittymaki and Biron, they SHOULD be okay. Theoretically, if one of their streaky goaltenders is cold, they other one may be hot? It's a long shot, but I think that's all philly can hope for.
I agree that Forsberg did nothing for Nashville last year, but if philly picks him up, they'd be getting him for free pretty much. All they owe is salary, and I mean, what's spending another 5mil if it increases your chance of winning the cup? They wouldn't need to give up any prospects to resign him.

I was really disappointed this year, because a bunch of the players I loved got resigned, and I would loved to see them on the *cough* leafs *coughs* . Nathan Horton on Florida and Ryan Getzlaf on Anaheim....two legit top-line centermen that both got big, long-term contracts this year. Such a shame to see a talent like Nathan Horton waste away in a godforsaken place like Florida.
Alyantis
FEMALE

Reply 21 of 251 (Originally posted on: 02-13-08 09:31:10 PM)

Good point about Forsberg. Leafs fan? Watch the game tonight? It was pretty good, lots of chances. Also a lot of no calls, and great looking saves. I went to the one where McCabe put it in at the end of overtime into his own net.

I took a road trip this winter where I saw Buffalo @ NJ, MON @ NYR, and the Winter Classic. The winter classic was just picture perfect. The game sucked, and I don't think I would do it again. The atmosphere, was just something to experience.

On Feb 27th, and 29th I'm going to see the Predators and Canadiens come to town. UBuffalo was selling 20 dollar tickets today for the Preds game, so I was lucky enough to grab them before they ran out.
poop
$$~~~Crips~~~$$
slooooooooooooots

Reply 22 of 251 (Originally posted on: 02-13-08 09:34:05 PM)

Yea I did see the game. Like a true Leafs fan at this stage in the game, I was hoping they'd lose so that it increases our chances of drafting Steve Stamkos next season.

I've been to several leafs games at the ACC, but never one in Buffalo. That'd be fun. I'd be so drunk screaming "MILLLLLLLLLLLLLEEEEEERRRRRRRRR"....I can see it now.
Alyantis
FEMALE

Reply 23 of 251 (Originally posted on: 02-13-08 09:39:05 PM)

Haven't been to the ACC for a game, but in Buffalo the atmosphere is pretty awesome regularly. Especially for a leafs game since all of you invade, and the crowd becomes 50-50 split, always constant booing and cheering. Pretty hilarious.
D
Administrator

Reply 24 of 251 (Originally posted on: 02-13-08 09:45:08 PM)

Quoted from Alyantis:
I think Philly may be better off looking to add value when it suits them, but not give away much. In reality they need to secure a legit #1 goalie. They don't really have that right now, just a bunch of streaky goalies.

I dunno I disagree. I think they already have 2 legit #1 goalies, and thats the only reason we don't have a #1 goalie is cause they're both quality an legit goalies. I don't think Biron is streaky, Nittymaki i'd say can be. Granted I haven't seen every game, but I haven't really seen Biron lose his composure. Maybe he's let up some unnecessary goals sometimes, though very infrequent, but thats inevitable. The only reason they take him out so often to play Nitty is cause Nitty is also just as good. Nitty can be streaky though.
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 2 3 4 5 ... 9 10 11 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 17680 | Total Posts: 251 ]