Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Discussion Forums > The "Song A Day" Thread Forum > State of Students Today > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest. Moderated by: D drahnier
Page: [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] [ Thread Views: 8483 | Total Posts: 125 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
IF0
Administrator

Hey, I was with Mary Magdalene last night....smell my finger lol

Ballkicks: (+621 / -173)
Reg. Date: Jul 2003
(Originally posted on: 02-08-08 06:55:07 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

So true.
Adopt a leggo my eggo ifo.
Hoff
Lightnin' Hopkins

Helping a brother out.

Ballkicks: (+192 / -38)
Reg. Date: Jan 2006
Reply 1 of 125 (Originally posted on: 02-08-08 07:29:28 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

I don't get it, what did all those signs say? I can't read...
Air Bud
Internet Superstar

Some plants even masturbate into their own vaginas in order to reproduce.

Ballkicks: (+918 / -56)
Reg. Date: Sep 2001
Reply 2 of 125 (Originally posted on: 02-08-08 10:02:34 PM)

I get the impression that this was made by a bunch of freshmen who haven't quite decided on a major yet and are taking a bunch of 100-level classes that just so happen to be taught in an auditorium setting, and because of this are disillusioned by the large non-personal learning environments.

Frankly, I think the message is agreeable, but also safe and non-controversial. It looks like something you might see during a commercial break of an Olson twins after-school special.

It wasn't bad, but it wasn't good either, nothing particularly new or memorable or noteworthy. Whoa! You mean learning is done in the classroom! Mind. Blown. Aside from the heavy use of cliches, there were a few foot-in-mouth moments. Particularly when one girl holds up a sign that says, "I only read 49% of my assigned reading. Only 26% of it will apply to my life." Give me a fucking break. That kind of mentality is exactly what is diluting the education pool in this country. Too many people don't want to learn shit that doesn't apply to their major of choice, because they feel as if it won't apply to what they're going to do in life. It's an ignorant, jaded, and narrow-minded viewpoint. Just because I'm a CompSci/Math major doesn't mean I shouldn't learn about art and literature and history.

Okay, rant over, feel free to quote and rip me to shreds.
D
Administrator

i didn't have the strength to get it all the way off

Ballkicks: (+1950 / -91)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
Reply 3 of 125 (Originally posted on: 02-09-08 12:05:12 AM)

Quote:
"I only read 49% of my assigned reading. Only 26% of it will apply to my life." Give me a fucking break. That kind of mentality is exactly what is diluting the education pool in this country.

I agree to an extent. However when I talk to my friends going to various state schools, and they tell me about the classes they're taking, (Ice Skating, Tennis, other very-specific-stupid subject courses) I just cringe.

These aren't just people who are still undecided and just taking whatever comes along till they figure it out. Engineers, Pre-Med students for example are taking this stuff.

I absolutely love History and Literature, and even Tennis - but to be honest, in college, only if you have the time/money for it.

In high school, and even middle school, I hated people who would complain about having to learn shit they'd never use. How should they know, they have no idea what they're going to have to use. Until 9th/10th grade I absolutely hated math and never expected to have that in my future, but here I am now with notebooks crammed full of it. If I didn't give it a chance I would have never discovered my knack/like for it.

This goes for college too, but I think if you have a direction you want to aim for, and you're comfortable aiming straight for it, you should, for the most part, be able to aim straight there (that was a lot of commas). You are paying for it after all.

I'm taking a "Hebrew Prophets" course right now, and honestly I couldn't be more thrilled with it. It is an awesome buffer class between all the other stuff.
poop
$$~~~Crips~~~$$
slooooooooooooots

i'd expect more sorcery in a place called mana pools

Ballkicks: (+731 / -71)
Reg. Date: May 2002
Reply 4 of 125 (Originally posted on: 02-09-08 05:50:40 AM)

I've only taken one "arts" class in my undergrad career, and it was the ONLY class of mine that fit the bill of this video.

The rest of my classes are at an average size of 30, and most of not all of my profs know me by a first-name basis.

Maybe the issue isn't education is too broad and too convoluted, but the fact that alot of students enter university with no major and no motivation for succeed. Maybe we should filter out half of the "art history" and "cultural studies" majors that just picked it so it'd be easy, and enrol them in some kind of trade school.
IF0
Administrator

Hey, I was with Mary Magdalene last night....smell my finger lol

Ballkicks: (+621 / -173)
Reg. Date: Jul 2003
Reply 5 of 125 (Originally posted on: 02-09-08 06:54:38 AM)

It's a cultural anthropology class at Kansas State, FYI.
Adopt a leggo my eggo ifo.
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

gotta get that VICTORY ROYALE #gamer #memes #LoL

Ballkicks: (+1782 / -130)
Reply 6 of 125 (Originally posted on: 02-09-08 07:07:12 AM)

49%? 26%? those numbers seem awfully high, to be honest. I don't usually read more than 10% of assigned readings unless the class is particularly inspiring or interesting. It's just not necessary to fulfill the requirements presented by the teacher in most cases.

It's even worse here in Germany. Your grade in a seminar is based upon two things, a presentation and a paper. You do a presentation on X, and then you write a paper about it. Consequently, I have a class called "Political Dominance in the Near East, Jordan and Syria, 1950 - 2003" (already very narrowly focused), and since my presentation was on Jordan under Abdullah II (1999-2003), that was all I had to do the reading for.

There's discussion, true, but you don't really have to do any reading to be able to discuss it, especially if someone's just given a 40 minute presentation about it.
emtilt

the cow of horses

Ballkicks: (+486 / -41)
Reply 7 of 125 (Originally posted on: 02-09-08 08:48:24 AM)

I go to one of the largest state schools in the country, and this large class stuff still only applied to a few large, low level, general education classes that I took. Most of my classes for my major are rather small, and my teachers are on a first-name basis with me. I kinda agree with Sandamnit. Much of this video just seems like freshman whining. And I want to punch the kid with the "only 26% of my assignments are relevant to my life" sign because that's an idiotic statement.

Also, anthropology, at UF at least, is one of the majors that is kinda a joke. It's really easy. Cultural Anthropology is one of the easiest of the Anthro courses, and tons of people take it for General Education credit.
this is my music i hope you like it
this is music i listen to these are movies i like these are books i like
Amphytrite
Hard for Drah

I don't really even like hearing about it or reading about it

Ballkicks: (+1869 / -83)
Reg. Date: Apr 2004
Reply 8 of 125 (Originally posted on: 02-09-08 09:19:34 AM)

Wow, 115? I've never had a class over 35, and on average...it's probably about 15.
The "I will read 8 books per year" thing really worries me. I wonder if that includes textbooks...four books a semester isn't too far-fetched.
Quote:
And I want to punch the kid with the "only 26% of my assignments are relevant to my life" sign because that's an idiotic statement.

It was the whole class' determination, not just her. Don't shoot the messenger.
i am raising my eyebrow

Vissario: i am here to serve
Amphy: then make me a sandwich.
Vissario: holy shit
Vissario: u just did not say that, sugaboo

Sunny: I'm actually vissario in disguise
Ryan
Big Sausage Pizza

From west philadelphia born and raised on the playground it's said I spent most of my days

Ballkicks: (+64 / -17)
Reg. Date: Nov 2006
Reply 9 of 125 (Originally posted on: 02-09-08 09:23:27 AM)

I'm not in Uni as of yet, but I've sat in on a few classes for what my major will be (basically CompSci) and the class is usually too busy to be browsing Facebook, most of the time is spent doing what the teacher is talking about. No one actually listens to much of what the prof says, but a lot of the time you don't need to unless it's in a lecture hall.

Quote:
And I want to punch the kid with the "only 26% of my assignments are relevant to my life" sign because that's an idiotic statement.

I think anyone who says that needs to be punched, it's only irrelevant because you don't know how to use it. Maybe if you'd pay attention in those classes... kekeke u give soj???
Snook
INTL Premium Member

enlightening 6 year olds on the horrors of war

Ballkicks: (+247 / -65)
Reg. Date: Jun 2003
Reply 10 of 125 (Originally posted on: 02-09-08 10:40:31 AM)

The biggest classes I have are, surprise, the general education stuff. Physics I & II, Chem I & II, the Ethics class, and the low-level Economics classes are the only ones that break 100 students in the class. After that is Earth Systems, which reaches into the 80's. From there it's 35 or less. And most of the classes I'm taking are useful (it's debatable whether Ethics is, though, as you should have ethics already) and I can already start applying them to my life.

It's all relative, really.
Hello my name is Kristoffer J°rgensen and I am from Norweigen I come to see hot USA girls and history landmarks!!
Pertti Susilainen
Head Priest

mr. sukkit

Ballkicks: (+924 / -57)
Reg. Date: Dec 2002
Reply 11 of 125 (Originally posted on: 02-09-08 10:55:24 AM)

When I was doing Advertising, my classes were packed with people. We could be as many as 175, easily. It was pretty chaotic - but then, Advertising was a joke anyway.

In Translation & Interpretation though we're far less people per class. It varies a lot depending on what class it is and what you chose as your third language, but I don't think we've ever been more than 60 people in any given class. And that's pretty rare - in my Finnish II class there were 7 of us, and in my Literary Translation class we were less than 15 people. I suppose the average is 25-30 people per class now.
đonne onwŠcne­ eft wineleas guma, gesih­ him biforan fealwe wegas, ba■ian brimfuglas, brŠdan fe■ra, hreosan hrim ond snaw hagle gemenged. Ůonne beo­ ■y hefigran heortan benne, sare Šfter swŠsne. Sorg bi­ geniwad ■onne maga gemynd mod geondhweorfe­, grete­ gliwstafum, georne geondsceawa­ secga geseldan; swimma­ oft on weg. Fleotendra fer­ no ■Šr fela bringe­ cu­ra cwidegiedda.
The Wanderer, l. 45-55a
Sunn O)))
INTL Alumni
14 year RP master

Zan-beef

Ballkicks: (+761 / -127)
Reply 12 of 125 (Originally posted on: 02-09-08 11:07:01 AM)

I've had classes ranging from over 300 people to 15 and less.

The classes with over 300 people in them are prerequisite courses. I can understand why in that case, and it didn't bother me. It wouldn't bother me anyway, in fact, I sometimes have liked big classes. They make me feel as though I don't have to speak up and discuss things on a constant basis, and be judged on that. Also, it helps for a quick snooze, a brief chat or a quick snack. Most of the large lecture halls have the nice chairs.

The classes with less than 15 people are generally very specific, high level classes. Most are seminar based. These are the classes I've been in - for the most part - these last couple years or so. They're okay, and I love discussing, but they generally happen to be the classes you can't miss.

The usefulness of some classes are arguable. There are credits I took which mean nothing to me, and only helped lower my GPA. For others, I can see a use for certain classes, but for my education they never seemed relevant. Take math. Useless for me. I generally do worse off than in other courses. I can, however, see the usefulness for other people in other degrees.

For me, there's more legitimate qualms than class size and useless credits.
emtilt

the cow of horses

Reply 13 of 125 (Originally posted on: 02-09-08 12:34:23 PM)

Quote:
Take math. Useless for me.

I don't really understand that. Math seems enormously beneficial to anyone who bothers to try to understand it, just because it teaches critical thinking and problem solving better than pretty much anything else. The skills you develop by continuing math education are directly applicable to all fields, even ones that aren't math-based. They require math general education courses at most places now, but it's typically a joke. I think it'd be wonderful if more people took at least one Calc course and one simple proof-based course.

This reply was last edited on 02-09-08 12:41:04 PM by emtilt.
Alyantis
FEMALE

Ballkicks: (+89 / -25)
Reg. Date: Apr 2002
Reply 14 of 125 (Originally posted on: 02-09-08 12:37:47 PM)

There are 150 mechanical engineers in my class. We all take the same classes. Even in my 2nd semester junior year, with "high" level classes, we are always in 200 person lecture halls.

That being said, the problems are not with the system. They are with the individual. We all have our own responsibility to learn the information to the extent we want to. Big classes don't have a huge impact on my learning, as we all have to do the homework, and we all have to pass the tests. College will never prepare you for the real life if all you do is take classes. Internships, research, jobs, all much more significant experiences than any one class. All the classes do is provide you with tools that may help you be successful in your career.
I Cant Skat3: Well, I may be stupid. I'll let others decide that.
D
Administrator

i didn't have the strength to get it all the way off

Ballkicks: (+1950 / -91)
Reply 15 of 125 (Originally posted on: 02-09-08 12:40:55 PM)

Quoted from Alyantis:
There are 150 mechanical engineers in my class. We all take the same classes. Even in my 2nd semester junior year, with "high" level classes, we are always in 200 person lecture halls.

Really? I'm a second semester mechanical engineering junior, and we only have one huge lecture class together, but its not really a class as much as it is a preparation for our senior design projects.
emtilt

the cow of horses

Reply 16 of 125 (Originally posted on: 02-09-08 12:42:45 PM)

I'm not an mechanical engineering major, but some of my friends are, and none of their classes are 200 people. Most of the upper level ones aren't very big, here.
Sunn O)))
INTL Alumni
14 year RP master

Zan-beef

Reply 17 of 125 (Originally posted on: 02-09-08 01:10:28 PM)

Quoted from emtilt:
Quote:

I don't really understand that. Math seems enormously beneficial to anyone who bothers to try to understand it, just because it teaches critical thinking and problem solving better than pretty much anything else. The skills you develop by continuing math education are directly applicable to all fields, even ones that aren't math-based. They require math general education courses at most places now, but it's typically a joke. I think it'd be wonderful if more people took at least one Calc course and one simple proof-based course.

I've ended up taking differential calculus and statistics. They're not helpful for me, and I know that may be hard to believe, but they do nothing for any skills I've already developed. I've already developed the critical thinking skills I see necessary to be successful, and so far I've been successful. The last place I'd give an onus of providing those skills - for me - is math. I didn't and don't care at all how to crunch numbers, I'd much rather crunch papers.

I'm of the conclusion that people have varying ways of learning, and of varying ways of gaining the same or similar skills for their area of expertise. Math may be yours, it's not one of mine. I'm certain I'm not the only one either.
Alyantis
FEMALE

Ballkicks: (+89 / -25)
Reg. Date: Apr 2002
Reply 18 of 125 (Originally posted on: 02-09-08 03:08:20 PM)

My point being is that big classes to me, are not the problem. People like to blame things on "big class" sizes, but in reality those who want to learn it will.
I Cant Skat3: Well, I may be stupid. I'll let others decide that.
wheezy
The Reel RS Krew
Lord Handsome

The next time you wanna call a coon a nigger, call that spearchucker a jungle bunny instead. I know, I know... nigger rolls off the tongue so easy, but there is a world of rarely used racial slurs that we need to start utilizing. White power!

Ballkicks: (+527 / -190)
Reg. Date: Dec 2001
Reply 19 of 125 (Originally posted on: 02-09-08 03:34:36 PM)

I'm sorry, I didn't watch this whole video. I got so bored of it because it was trying to be artsy or cool or something with all the stupid writing and shit on the chairs. I wish they just had someone reading it.

So am I to surmize that this video is bitching about current college education? The two main factors being large class sizes, and being forced to learn irrelevant information? Please let me know if I'm wrong or missed a major issue. If this is true, I'll give you my expert opinion on it.
U CANT TRICK THE TRICKSTER

Moderator of the Proud Inside Discussions Forum.
www.uselessstatic.com
Ryan
Big Sausage Pizza

From west philadelphia born and raised on the playground it's said I spent most of my days

Reply 20 of 125 (Originally posted on: 02-09-08 03:44:10 PM)

Wow, you must be autistic or something, it wasn't that long...
Amphytrite
Hard for Drah

I don't really even like hearing about it or reading about it

Ballkicks: (+1869 / -83)
Reg. Date: Apr 2004
Reply 21 of 125 (Originally posted on: 02-09-08 03:45:33 PM)

Quoted from emtilt:
Quote:

I've never taken Calculus--the "highest" I've gone is pre-calc, and I didn't understand the relevance of more than half of it. The only other time I've ever run into any sort of pre-calc or calc was in History of Math. It isn't really a key part of my life and probably never will be, beyond the mathematics involved in drafting and carpentry.
i am raising my eyebrow

Vissario: i am here to serve
Amphy: then make me a sandwich.
Vissario: holy shit
Vissario: u just did not say that, sugaboo

Sunny: I'm actually vissario in disguise
wheezy
The Reel RS Krew
Lord Handsome

The next time you wanna call a coon a nigger, call that spearchucker a jungle bunny instead. I know, I know... nigger rolls off the tongue so easy, but there is a world of rarely used racial slurs that we need to start utilizing. White power!

Ballkicks: (+527 / -190)
Reg. Date: Dec 2001
Reply 22 of 125 (Originally posted on: 02-09-08 05:03:16 PM)

Quoted from Purple:

It's almost 5 minutes...

Not that a 5 minute video is extreeeeeeeeeemely long and impossible for me to watch, but like I said, it was really boring and it's artsy nature pissed me off. I figured I could get the gist of it from the thread. And apparently with people like you, I can't simply have someone says "yeah, that's about it."
U CANT TRICK THE TRICKSTER

Moderator of the Proud Inside Discussions Forum.
www.uselessstatic.com
Sunn O)))
INTL Alumni
14 year RP master

Zan-beef

Reply 23 of 125 (Originally posted on: 02-09-08 05:26:11 PM)

Quoted from wheezy:
Quoted from Purple:

It's almost 5 minutes...

Not that a 5 minute video is extreeeeeeeeeemely long and impossible for me to watch, but like I said, it was really boring and it's artsy nature pissed me off. I figured I could get the gist of it from the thread. And apparently with people like you, I can't simply have someone says "yeah, that's about it."

Yeah, that's about it.
Ryan
Big Sausage Pizza

Reply 24 of 125 (Originally posted on: 02-09-08 06:16:22 PM)

Quoted from Sunny:
Quoted from wheezy:
Quoted from Purple:

It's almost 5 minutes...

Yeah, that's about it.

Stop enabling people, Sunny. Watching people suffer should be second nature to you.
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 8483 | Total Posts: 125 ]