Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Discussion Forums > The "Song A Day" Thread Forum > What defines an "INTLer"? > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest. Moderated by: D drahnier
Page: [ 1 2 3 ] [ Thread Views: 4448 | Total Posts: 53 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
Sunn O)))
INTL Alumni
14 year RP master

Zan-beef

Ballkicks: (+761 / -127)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
(Originally posted on: 01-29-08 03:05:37 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

Perhaps a question too complex to answer, but worth seeing what others think on it - what makes INTL unique and what is INTL's identity? What binds the members not only to keep coming here and to keep posting here (other than addiction, per se), but to have stayed here, continued relationships on other mediums (offline, AIM, ICQ), and to have done so for upwards of 6 or more years? What are our collective mannerisms, ideas, intentions?

It's something which I ponder, since INTL doesn't have much of a purpose. It's not a gaming forum for one specific game. It's not a fandom. We don't seek a meme such as - say - furries or trekkies. We certainly don't have the additional elements which have produced the 'goons' and the 'farkers', or the founding purpose of philosophy or history to drive us.

And so I'm left thinking, do we share any common characteristics? Even with our differences, is there a common culture to this forum? It's hard not to see that INTL has a community to it. That the people haven't changed all that much, is the longest lasting aspect of this site.

I may be grasping at straws, but if there is a clear defined identity - for certainly there's an identity - it's possible it could be marketed to gain greater activity, it could explain how people have changed as a result of INTL, and why others have migrated into INTL, and how INTL has accepted them.
ba
INTL Premium Member
Captain of the Cool Kids

and i said, a\re you a gay ass fucker who can't take a baseball up the ass you faggot???? and he said yes........

Ballkicks: (+456 / -62)
Reg. Date: Apr 2003
Reply 1 of 53 (Originally posted on: 01-29-08 03:14:57 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

I don't despise all of you enough to not post here

I guess that makes me an INTL'er.

(also I'm part of the facebook group, and facebook never lies)
~British[/whisper] Agent
[whisper].___.
{O,o} O RLY?
/)__)
-"-"-
Links: Penny Arcade, YTMND, Something Awful.
goldorak
Conan The Destroyer, Idiot Extraordinaire

Ballkicks: (+22 / -12)
Reg. Date: Jan 2007
Reply 2 of 53 (Originally posted on: 01-29-08 04:03:43 PM)

i post at intl just to see surt's crappy one-liners... tell me if it defines as an intler
my new title suits me perfectly... i love it
Ztolk
INTL Premium Member
Rawr.

definitely threw the blue lego

Ballkicks: (+838 / -47)
Reply 3 of 53 (Originally posted on: 01-29-08 04:07:44 PM)

Basically it's a bunch of people who all know each other somehow coming together. It started with people from HG who all knew each other there, then NNY brought a bunch of his friends, the SpankMag or whatever it was sent a bunch of people here, FA sent Zippo the link, etc.
"I used the internet to get laid once. That is not a shining moment of pride for me. The worst thing? She evidently gave me chlamydia, which I evidently got cleared up."
-Wandering Idiot
Simfish II

Ballkicks: (+7 / -0)
Reg. Date: Feb 2007
Reply 4 of 53 (Originally posted on: 01-29-08 04:32:38 PM)

Many of the same reasons that have binded AOKH OD together for all these years (I'm an AOKH/ODer btw, but this thread is very interesting so I'm posting).

And it seems that people nowadays measure their forum usage stats by years rather than months (as it was at AOKH 2000-2001).

I honestly don't know why I've been so emotionally attached to the AOKH/OD complex. Maybe it's that I've developed a reputation in my early years (2001-2003) that still hasn't totally faded into the dust yet. I somehow like developing a stereotypical reputation and acting out on it (even though I don't synchronize as well as other people do - so in that sense I read more often than I participate, and when I do participate, it's not something related to synchronization [i.e. posting witty replies in sync with the expectations of the thread - replies and inside jokes that could often be expected but that nonetheless somehow bring the community together].

I often like reading those replies since they often contain references to idiosyncrasies of individual forumers - and since I actually know the background of many forumers at OD.

There might be some reasons for other forumers (especially those who don't synchronize with other INTLers/ODers - Natalinasmpf comes into mind in particular).

But this is a good question distinct from other questions of community, since most of us are socially well-adjusted enough to socialize in other communities.

(btw Sunny, I actually managed to mirror the entire AOKH forums with Httrack just in case HG decides to free up server space by purging the archives).
This reply was last edited on 01-29-08 04:50:33 PM by Simfish II.
Simfish II

Reply 5 of 53 (Originally posted on: 01-29-08 04:56:41 PM)

It does seem that replies to a particular thread mean more when you know the poster than when you don't (just because they must be put in the context if what you know about the poster). I like posting online surveys on heavengames because people's responses to the surveys tell me a little about them - given how I know a bit about many of the posters on HG. They wouldn't tell me much if I posted them on a forum where I didn't know anyone.
D
Administrator

i didn't have the strength to get it all the way off

Ballkicks: (+1950 / -91)
Reply 6 of 53 (Originally posted on: 01-29-08 05:30:42 PM)

Hey Simfishy. I think I used to call you Simfishy. or fishy fish, or no, simmy fish I think it was. You were nice.

To answer your question Sunny, I have no idea.
Baggy_Brad
FIGJAM

Cool.

Ballkicks: (+1431 / -135)
Reply 7 of 53 (Originally posted on: 01-29-08 05:32:41 PM)

INTL is the forum for forummers who can't really be fucked posting very much.

By that I mean most people don't come here to post, they come here to be with posts by people they kinda know or at least recognise.
bradism.
Amphytrite
Hard for Drah

I don't really even like hearing about it or reading about it

Ballkicks: (+1869 / -83)
Reg. Date: Apr 2004
Reply 8 of 53 (Originally posted on: 01-29-08 05:34:20 PM)

Quote:
And so I'm left thinking, do we share any common characteristics?

Well, we've all seen IF0's asshole at one point or another.

I don't know if we really are definable otherwise.
i am raising my eyebrow

Vissario: i am here to serve
Amphy: then make me a sandwich.
Vissario: holy shit
Vissario: u just did not say that, sugaboo

Sunny: I'm actually vissario in disguise
Hoff
Lightnin' Hopkins

Helping a brother out.

Ballkicks: (+192 / -38)
Reg. Date: Jan 2006
Reply 9 of 53 (Originally posted on: 01-29-08 05:43:23 PM)

I'm relatively knew but I also feel like a new INTLer. Since I've been hear I'd would say that the thing that binds us at INTL the most is basically a dry and/or dark sense of humor. In additional to that, most of us have a similar intelligence but in many cases a drastically different opinion. So overall, when there is actually something going on here, it is at least interesting enough to come back and post here. Lately i've been in kinda of a intl tair, most likely because I am rebouding from an intl drought. But thats how it happens with a lot of us I suppose.
Simfish II

Reply 10 of 53 (Originally posted on: 01-29-08 09:16:19 PM)

Hey Dimi. Nice to see that you still remember me. i'm a serial-killer :) I still have the simfish.jpg file you drew for me. Oh and brandnewcar once called me dimifish. kekeke u give soj??? (I forgot if you called me that first - though it was inspired by some action of yours I think)

==
With INTL, it may just be that its moderation is more lenient than that of OD since many members don't want to stay on a "family-friendly" forum as they age. Rather, they actually like to do things like post provocative material, discuss provocative things, or swear (although such behavior isn't rampant at INTL). I went to the FPH clan forums a year ago and noticed similar behavior (a core group of around 15-20 people racking up huge post counts and exchanging inside jokes with each other while not discussing family-friendly appropriate matters [one forumer posted that he got a girl pregnant ("i'm going to be a dad", and the swearing at FPH is quite prolific]). INTL and FPH do seem to have a similar forumer demographic profile (young adult males who came out of HG) - though FPH is a lot more "spammy" than INTL is.

This probably distinguishes places like INTL and FPH from places like Tonto. Crude behavior (often of the non-family friendly type) seems to be more tolerated at places like INTL/FPH (although it seems that the members responsible for such crude behavior at INTL have mostly left). Granted I sometimes wish that I didn't join Tonto because it didn't tolerate crude behavior. But I was 14 at the time it fell apart and didn't really spend the rest of my teenage years at HG so I guess that's alright... (I started acting out on AoKH with the drive to post non family-friendly material [though only after I turned 15], and I've had the impulse to act out on other forums too, but I can't really do it unless I'm in a group of people I could synchronize with).

Quote:
In additional to that, most of us have a similar intelligence but in many cases a drastically different opinion.

I've often felt that most people at HG/INTL are of fairly above-average intelligence, something that cannot be said for a lot of other Internet forums or clans. The average intelligence of many clans that spring off HG seems to be lower than that of HG, perhaps since intelligent posts are more rewarded at HG than they are elsewhere (though AoKH was where they seemed to be rewarded the most). [but maybe not necessarily - it's really hard for me to think of an explanation for that observation]
This reply was last edited on 01-29-08 09:34:52 PM by Simfish II.
Socrateius
Robobear 3000

homersexual

Ballkicks: (+611 / -49)
Reg. Date: Jul 2002
Reply 11 of 53 (Originally posted on: 01-29-08 10:01:52 PM)

We're nothing unique, there are a lot of sorta sarcastic forums on the internet. We just happen to be a lot of friends that socialize on here.
HeavenGaymes hahaha gay mes

"Being tackled is fun cause its like getting a great big hug from a strong guy. You get to lose yourself in his arms...It only hurts when they let go MAGUSMAGUSMAGUSMAGUS" - Shady Milkman

"I'm not even sure if believe in abortions period...but man do I hate retards" - Dimitrios
Ballsack 5.0

i'd like to see a pic of ice's duck

Ballkicks: (+91 / -77)
Reg. Date: Mar 2004
Reply 12 of 53 (Originally posted on: 01-29-08 10:48:58 PM)

This sort of bullshit forum is the logical culmination of years of wasted adoselcent years playing AoK and calling Sunshine a stupid bitch.
hi zippo and dimi

xoxoxo
Snook
INTL Premium Member

enlightening 6 year olds on the horrors of war

Ballkicks: (+247 / -65)
Reg. Date: Jun 2003
Reply 13 of 53 (Originally posted on: 01-29-08 11:48:58 PM)

It's a different thing for everyone. I come because it's something to do. It lives up to it's namesake. Plus, I know and like some of you, and I like to keep in touch.

As sad as it may sound, INTL and OD have been the most stable features of my life. Period. It's also served to mature me in more ways than I want to mention...

After 6 years at OD and 5 1/2 here at INTL, I can truthfully say that I've "lived" here longer than any other place I've ever lived.
Hello my name is Kristoffer J°rgensen and I am from Norweigen I come to see hot USA girls and history landmarks!!
Pertti Susilainen
Head Priest

mr. sukkit

Ballkicks: (+924 / -57)
Reg. Date: Dec 2002
Reply 14 of 53 (Originally posted on: 01-30-08 01:55:00 AM)

Quoted from Hoff:
I'm relatively knew but I also feel like a new INTLer.

See, this is INTL. Hoff has been here for two years and he still thinks he's relatively new, and most of us would actually agree with him. Things go slow here. A great many of us have been here since 2002-2003. This is a close-knit community, so much that new forumers may be intimidated and feel out of place. What binds a group of real-life friends together? They've known each other for ages and they share many stories and memories. That's it. Pretty hard to exploit that to get new blood, I'm afraid.
đonne onwŠcne­ eft wineleas guma, gesih­ him biforan fealwe wegas, ba■ian brimfuglas, brŠdan fe■ra, hreosan hrim ond snaw hagle gemenged. Ůonne beo­ ■y hefigran heortan benne, sare Šfter swŠsne. Sorg bi­ geniwad ■onne maga gemynd mod geondhweorfe­, grete­ gliwstafum, georne geondsceawa­ secga geseldan; swimma­ oft on weg. Fleotendra fer­ no ■Šr fela bringe­ cu­ra cwidegiedda.
The Wanderer, l. 45-55a
goatsnacks
Administrators

"When I decide to brush (maybe once a week)" -Snook, INTL's #1 Scrub

Ballkicks: (+512 / -167)
Reg. Date: Feb 2004
Reply 15 of 53 (Originally posted on: 01-30-08 04:23:05 AM)

I don't know anyone on here in real life or from anywhere else really but oddly think if we ever ran across each other in the future could have some fun.

I do notice that everyone here is about in the same stage I am of my life, where you're past most of your formal education, and may still be getting a higher one, but you aren't at a point yet in your life where you feel ... i don't know, settled? Everyone seems to relate in this way. It's as if we're all waiting for something to happen.
"A man chooses, a slave obeys."
IF0
Administrator

Hey, I was with Mary Magdalene last night....smell my finger lol

Ballkicks: (+621 / -173)
Reg. Date: Jul 2003
Reply 16 of 53 (Originally posted on: 01-30-08 04:45:45 AM)

I just realized I've been here 4.5 years now. I remember when it used to sort of be a defining INTL moment when someone was here a year.
Adopt a leggo my eggo ifo.
Snook
INTL Premium Member

Reply 17 of 53 (Originally posted on: 01-30-08 07:24:40 AM)

Quoted from Sukkit:
Quoted from Hoff:
I'm relatively knew but I also feel like a new INTLer.

See, this is INTL. Hoff has been here for two years and he still thinks he's relatively new, and most of us would actually agree with him. Things go slow here. A great many of us have been here since 2002-2003. This is a close-knit community, so much that new forumers may be intimidated and feel out of place. What binds a group of real-life friends together? They've known each other for ages and they share many stories and memories. That's it. Pretty hard to exploit that to get new blood, I'm afraid.

The odd thing is that even after all the time I've spent hanging around I still feel like a newbie. Even though I guess I'm technically an oldie or something?
Hello my name is Kristoffer J°rgensen and I am from Norweigen I come to see hot USA girls and history landmarks!!
Muzta
Lord of the Dance
Negative Association was the name of my hot tub

Ballkicks: (+140 / -19)
Reg. Date: Apr 2002
Reply 18 of 53 (Originally posted on: 01-30-08 07:47:44 AM)

Real INTLer's confuse me

90% of this forum are people from HG, who either

A. Hated it
B. Where banned
C. Are "forum friends" of the people who hated it or where banned

For the other 10% its like "How the fuck did you find this place?" followed by "Why the fuck would you stay?"
"Nice guys finish last, then we sleep in" - Duk's Sig
Snowy
INTL Premium Member

i always try to make a statement with my fashion...thats why today i wore a crop top with a pic of richard nixon captioned: growl at sweat

Ballkicks: (+899 / -313)
Reg. Date: Feb 2005
Reply 19 of 53 (Originally posted on: 01-30-08 08:40:49 AM)

INTLers like to ask ''who am i?'' far more than their existence warrants.

I liek piez. And freedom! -- Dr. Ron Paul
Snook
INTL Premium Member

Reply 20 of 53 (Originally posted on: 01-30-08 09:02:32 AM)

Quoted from Snowy:

I used to have chatlogs from when you weren't a complete bitch, but much like your originality I've lost them.
abused
i done told you once bitch

Looks and acts like a douche-bag

Ballkicks: (+820 / -208)
Reply 21 of 53 (Originally posted on: 01-30-08 10:04:37 AM)

I really don't know why I post on INTL, to be honest.

Most people on here do not like me. I do not like most people on here. Generally I'm way more immature, abrasive, whiny, dramatic, self-centered and lame on INTL than I am anywhere else. (Online, or "real life").

I think I post here out of habit. I'm sure I won't always post here. I do like irritating people though, and INTL gives me the opportunity to do it without affecting my own life and social relationships.

What defines an INTLer? I'd say the average forummer on here is intelligent and many are somewhat nerdy. I don't think nerdy is a bad thing, though. Generally sarcasm will let you fit in well here, as well as not taking things personally when you become targeted.

I'm surprised this place is still alive to be honest, and I don't mean that as a burn... I just don't see what keeps making everyone post, which is funny since I'm posting right now.
poop
$$~~~Crips~~~$$
slooooooooooooots

i'd expect more sorcery in a place called mana pools

Ballkicks: (+731 / -71)
Reg. Date: May 2002
Reply 22 of 53 (Originally posted on: 01-30-08 10:17:33 AM)

Quoted from Snook:
Quoted from Snowy:

I used to have chatlogs from when you weren't a complete bitch, but much like your originality I've lost them.

Is this....a zing from snook???
drahnier
INTL VIP
:iceburn:

Ballkicks: (+886 / -232)
Reply 23 of 53 (Originally posted on: 01-30-08 10:27:03 AM)

Quote:
I used to have chatlogs from when you weren't a complete bitch

What day was that?
DRAHNIER
abused
i done told you once bitch

Looks and acts like a douche-bag

Ballkicks: (+820 / -208)
Reply 24 of 53 (Originally posted on: 01-30-08 10:41:58 AM)

Quoted from Tartarus:
Quoted from Snook:
Quoted from Snowy:

Is this....a zing from snook???

I bet he sat there thinking of it for awhile, then built up the courage to finally click submit as he triple-checked his post.
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 2 3 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 4448 | Total Posts: 53 ]