Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Discussion Forums > The "Song A Day" Thread Forum > You Know It's Bad When Your Eyelashes Freeze > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest. Moderated by: D drahnier
Page: [ 1 2 3 ] [ Thread Views: 5921 | Total Posts: 70 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
Sunn O)))
INTL Alumni
14 year RP master

Zan-beef

Ballkicks: (+761 / -127)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
(Originally posted on: 01-28-08 08:09:26 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

Since it's -30C (-22F) with an expected windchill of -50C (-58F) and you can expect frostbite in 5 minutes, any hair to freeze, glasses to ice over, muscles to tense, doors to freeze on the inside and power to go out, I thought it worthwhile (over a cup of some sweet hot soup) to discuss your experiences with extreme weather. Preferably of the *Hot* variety, since on a serious note, making yourself a hajib to keep warm is not a thing that makes me feel warm right now. big grin
Ztolk
INTL Premium Member
Rawr.

definitely threw the blue lego

Ballkicks: (+838 / -47)
Reply 1 of 70 (Originally posted on: 01-28-08 08:31:14 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

I thought you were in Vancouver? That's really cold. It was like -1 this afternoon.

I got frostbite once, it was only like -20 but it was really windy and at night and the wind blew my hood away from my ears. They turned red and swollen for a few days but not serious damage.

The hotumidest place I've ever been is probably Cartagena, Colombia in August. My sweat and the air were as one.

I've been in a few hurricanes (one in Florida which was really, really windy) and a few ends in Toronto or Kingston where it just rains buckets. My mom wouldn't let me bike to school that day. I've been in an earthquake in Costa Rica, where I woke up, felt my bed shaking, wondered what the hell it was, and went back to sleep.
"I used the internet to get laid once. That is not a shining moment of pride for me. The worst thing? She evidently gave me chlamydia, which I evidently got cleared up."
-Wandering Idiot
mmac
INTL Premium Member
it's INTL, not the fucking UN - Amphy

3ms will rise again

Ballkicks: (+254 / -35)
Reg. Date: Feb 2005
Reply 2 of 70 (Originally posted on: 01-28-08 08:42:52 PM)

When I was in Kuwait it got up to around 140F (60c)

Today it was 45F (8c) and sunny, but last week it was around -20F (-30c) more with wind chill MAGUSMAGUSMAGUSMAGUS
http://www.michaelmcelhinney.com

An atom walks into a bar looking very depressed.
Bartender: What's wrong?
Atom: I've just lost an electron.
Bartender: Are you sure?
Atom: Yeah, I'm positive.
Amphytrite
Hard for Drah

I don't really even like hearing about it or reading about it

Ballkicks: (+1869 / -83)
Reg. Date: Apr 2004
Reply 3 of 70 (Originally posted on: 01-28-08 08:55:07 PM)

At home this summer we had some severe heat (it is South Carolina, after all), and one day it went up to about 104. That's where we topped out, and it was even more miserable because I had to go out to the barn every three hours to hose down the horses to keep them from getting overheated.
i am raising my eyebrow

Vissario: i am here to serve
Amphy: then make me a sandwich.
Vissario: holy shit
Vissario: u just did not say that, sugaboo

Sunny: I'm actually vissario in disguise
drahnier
INTL VIP
:iceburn:

Ballkicks: (+886 / -232)
Reply 4 of 70 (Originally posted on: 01-28-08 08:58:03 PM)

We don't get any extreme weather here, except sometimes there's a storm that you shouldn't go outside in because trees fall down and roof-tiles fly around and stuff.

Sweden is very un-extreme and calm in every way.
DRAHNIER
Sunn O)))
INTL Alumni
14 year RP master

Zan-beef

Ballkicks: (+761 / -127)
Reply 5 of 70 (Originally posted on: 01-28-08 09:04:13 PM)

Quoted from Ztolk:
I thought you were in Vancouver? That's really cold. It was like -1 this afternoon.

Nah, I've been living in Calgary for a few years. Ridiculously weird weather. Extremely cold in the winter, relatively hot in the summer. I wish I was somewhere else.

Quoted from Ampitheatre:
At home this summer we had some severe heat (it is South Carolina, after all), and one day it went up to about 104. That's where we topped out, and it was even more miserable because I had to go out to the barn every three hours to hose down the horses to keep them from getting overheated.

i am raising my eyebrow
Amphytrite
Hard for Drah

Reply 6 of 70 (Originally posted on: 01-28-08 09:11:31 PM)

Quoted from Hermione:
Quoted from Ampitheatre:

i am raising my eyebrow

I...live on a farm? Is that what you're i am raising my eyebrowing about?
i am raising my eyebrow

D
Administrator

i didn't have the strength to get it all the way off

Ballkicks: (+1950 / -91)
Reply 7 of 70 (Originally posted on: 01-28-08 09:13:04 PM)

We don't get anything too extreme in PA. It gets hot enough that we know what "fucking sweatin my balls off" feels like and it gets cold enough that we know what "fucking freezin my ass off" feels like. But in comparison to the extreme colds and extreme hots some places get, we can't really compare. It usually gets up to 100F every summer, and probably gets to 10F. Weather.com says the record low it -11F but I don't think it usually drops below 0 most years. Record high is 106.

Other than that theres been a couple floods (mostly cause of hurricanes), a very weak tornado, and a couple very large blizzards.
Amphytrite
Hard for Drah

Reply 8 of 70 (Originally posted on: 01-28-08 09:15:35 PM)

Did you get the day off for Hurricane Floyd in grade school too, or was that just us?
i am raising my eyebrow

D
Administrator

Reply 9 of 70 (Originally posted on: 01-28-08 09:28:42 PM)

I remember it being a big one, I dont remember if we got off of school.

How 'bout that blizzard of '96? That one got us off classes for a full week. And it was the week after winter break so it was sweet.
wheezy
The Reel RS Krew
Lord Handsome

The next time you wanna call a coon a nigger, call that spearchucker a jungle bunny instead. I know, I know... nigger rolls off the tongue so easy, but there is a world of rarely used racial slurs that we need to start utilizing. White power!

Ballkicks: (+527 / -190)
Reg. Date: Dec 2001
Reply 10 of 70 (Originally posted on: 01-28-08 09:40:14 PM)

Quoted from Ampitheatre:
Did you get the day off for Hurricane Floyd in grade school too, or was that just us?

Fucking right we got sent home early. Had to walk home through that shit. My clothes were wet.
U CANT TRICK THE TRICKSTER

Moderator of the Proud Inside Discussions Forum.
www.uselessstatic.com
Hoff
Lightnin' Hopkins

Helping a brother out.

Ballkicks: (+192 / -38)
Reg. Date: Jan 2006
Reply 11 of 70 (Originally posted on: 01-28-08 09:42:15 PM)

Quoted from Dimi:
We don't get anything too extreme in PA. It gets hot enough that we know what "fucking sweatin my balls off" feels like and it gets cold enough that we know what "fucking freezin my ass off" feels like. But in comparison to the extreme colds and extreme hots some places get, we can't really compare. It usually gets up to 100F every summer, and probably gets to 10F. Weather.com says the record low it -11F but I don't think it usually drops below 0 most years. Record high is 106.

Other than that theres been a couple floods (mostly cause of hurricanes), a very weak tornado, and a couple very large blizzards.
That tornado went through my back yard. But it was so weak that my friend who lived across the street called and asked if i wanted to go over his house and play on the slip and slide (we were pretty young). I had to tell him that i couldn't because there was a tornado in my backyard.
Amphytrite
Hard for Drah

Reply 12 of 70 (Originally posted on: 01-28-08 10:34:31 PM)

Quoted from Dimi:
I remember it being a big one, I dont remember if we got off of school.

How 'bout that blizzard of '96? That one got us off classes for a full week. And it was the week after winter break so it was sweet.

The blizzard of '96 was pretty much the highlight of grade school for me. I built a slide out of snow and slid down it all day long, and I didn't have to shovel our driveway & two cars out like I did during the blizzard of '03. That one sucked, and they made us going back to school three days later because we would've had to have classes on Saturdays otherwise.
i am raising my eyebrow

Socrateius
Robobear 3000

homersexual

Ballkicks: (+611 / -49)
Reg. Date: Jul 2002
Reply 13 of 70 (Originally posted on: 01-28-08 11:27:04 PM)

Hey guys remember when that tornado obliterated my town and you all thought I was dead?
HeavenGaymes hahaha gay mes

"Being tackled is fun cause its like getting a great big hug from a strong guy. You get to lose yourself in his arms...It only hurts when they let go MAGUSMAGUSMAGUSMAGUS" - Shady Milkman

"I'm not even sure if believe in abortions period...but man do I hate retards" - Dimitrios
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

gotta get that VICTORY ROYALE #gamer #memes #LoL

Ballkicks: (+1782 / -130)
Reply 14 of 70 (Originally posted on: 01-29-08 01:11:45 AM)

this one time in San Diego it got below 60, that was really hard for me.

edit: also that one time it got above 100, that was also difficult, man sometimes it sucks living in california
Ryan
Big Sausage Pizza

From west philadelphia born and raised on the playground it's said I spent most of my days

Ballkicks: (+64 / -17)
Reg. Date: Nov 2006
Reply 15 of 70 (Originally posted on: 01-29-08 03:03:06 AM)

I have the exact same weather as Sunny. MAGUSMAGUSMAGUSMAGUS

I just walked to 7/11 and it's like a 45 second walk, I was shaking it was so cold and got minor frostbite on my fingertips. Not cool.
Pertti Susilainen
Head Priest

mr. sukkit

Ballkicks: (+924 / -57)
Reg. Date: Dec 2002
Reply 16 of 70 (Originally posted on: 01-29-08 03:19:35 AM)

Quoted from Socrateius:
Hey guys remember when that tornado obliterated my town and you all thought I was dead?

I remember that. And Mellie!
I suppose since this is INTL I should say Melanie but come on, it's always been Mellie when it comes to hurricanes and the like
đonne onwŠcne­ eft wineleas guma, gesih­ him biforan fealwe wegas, ba■ian brimfuglas, brŠdan fe■ra, hreosan hrim ond snaw hagle gemenged. Ůonne beo­ ■y hefigran heortan benne, sare Šfter swŠsne. Sorg bi­ geniwad ■onne maga gemynd mod geondhweorfe­, grete­ gliwstafum, georne geondsceawa­ secga geseldan; swimma­ oft on weg. Fleotendra fer­ no ■Šr fela bringe­ cu­ra cwidegiedda.
The Wanderer, l. 45-55a
Bon

Village Idiot

Ballkicks: (+162 / -84)
Reg. Date: Sep 2002
Reply 17 of 70 (Originally posted on: 01-29-08 06:15:09 PM)

Same here Sunny. -30C is the high forcast for this week. The coldest I remember was last winter, -63C with the wind chill.
“Was der Tod der Elf einmal bedeuten wird, verm÷gen heute nur wenige zu ahnen — noch weniger kann ich darŘber schreiben. Wir stehen mitten in einer grossen Zeitenwende. Was wir alle durchmachen sind ihre Geburtswehen. Alles scheint negativ — und einmal wird dann doch Neues and Grosses geboren werden....”
Trofozoito
i post this tag for death INTL no matter ban

Do me, huggy bear!

Ballkicks: (+317 / -54)
Reg. Date: Aug 2003
Reply 18 of 70 (Originally posted on: 01-29-08 08:22:00 PM)

I am glad to see you have agreed to speak in terms of Celsius.

My lowest experience was here in the Nevado del Ruiz volcano, I could climb up to 5100m | 16732ft above sea level, and it had been snowing overnight so we could find some snow to slide on, but it was partly melt. Temperature was around 1░C|32░F, pretty nice though. But as we are talking of extreme situations, altitude there was extreme, walking 5 steps would leave me breathless, and my girlfriend passed out many times.

Hottest situation was Puerto BerrÝo, Colombia, where it was around 30|86 overnight, and I would sweat while in bed, and daytime was like 100. I have been also in the coast and its like Ztolk said humid as hell, making your skin feel sticky. In both situations I was working and wearing my labcoat around, without air conditioning.
The day I arrived to US it was pretty hot and humid in Miami, and there was a thunderstorm like it was the end of the world.
Kitabatake
Fishing with Firecrackers

2efficient4spacebar

Ballkicks: (+450 / -46)
Reg. Date: May 2002
Reply 19 of 70 (Originally posted on: 01-29-08 08:30:06 PM)

Record here is around 125F, low can't be much less than 0F though.

It's.. a dry heat.
You think I like you.
But I don't like you.
I hate your guts, I hate your guts.
D
Administrator

Reply 20 of 70 (Originally posted on: 01-29-08 08:49:18 PM)

Whats so great about Celsius? Obviously the fact that its used internationally, but I think Fahrenheit is a better system for measuring daily air temperatures. It was designed so that you wouldn't have to deal with negatives or numbers over 100. Obviously in extreme weather places the temp drops below 0 and rises above 100, but you get a good feel for what the Temperature is with Fahrenheit. If you see its less than zero, you know its reaaally cold. Over 100 you know its reaaally hot. Anywhere in between you can kinda figure out on your own.

Celsius was based around the freezing and melting temperature of water. Which is useful for dealing with water temperature, and not really much else. Neither system is an absolute Temperature system - and its not really a big deal that Celsius aligns with the Kelvin system, because you could just as easily use an absolute system that aligns with the Fahrenheit (The Rankine system).

People often seem to treat the Celsius system as being far superior to Fahrenheit in the same way that they see the Metric system and the US Customary system. Which is much different if you ask me, the metric system has a ton of advantages to the US System, and the US System doesn't really have any advantages.

The system thats good for calculations and science is the metric system, and its also just fine for regular every day use. The systems good for calculations and science for temperature is any absolute temperature system, but those aren't good for every day use. So in my opinion the best system for every day use is Fahrenheit.

Now I'm not implying that you Trof, or anyone else, was being condescending about the Celsius system, i'm assuming you're glad it was being used cause thats what you're used to and I don't blame anyone for sticking to what they know. Just saying some general thoughts about Celsius vs Fahrenheit.
Amphytrite
Hard for Drah

Reply 21 of 70 (Originally posted on: 01-29-08 09:27:02 PM)

From now on, we should all refer to temperatures in Kelvin.
i am raising my eyebrow

D
Administrator

Reply 22 of 70 (Originally posted on: 01-29-08 09:49:13 PM)

Its freezing today, like 273 degrees!
Hoff
Lightnin' Hopkins

Helping a brother out.

Ballkicks: (+192 / -38)
Reg. Date: Jan 2006
Reply 23 of 70 (Originally posted on: 01-29-08 10:08:37 PM)

When it comes to whether, all i care about is john bolaris....

philadelphia whether man and known womanizer, johnny b knows where its at...besides that one time where he was wrong and literally got booed to new york for half a decade before he was allowed to return. i heart philly
Amphytrite
Hard for Drah

Reply 24 of 70 (Originally posted on: 01-29-08 11:04:04 PM)

Oh. My. God.
I can't believe they brought him back.
i am raising my eyebrow

Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 2 3 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 5921 | Total Posts: 70 ]