Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Site Comments > Archives > Archived Forums > Pretension Palace: i don't like that band because you've heard of them > Juno > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest. Moderated by: Amphytrite
Page: [ 1 ] [ Thread Views: 2018 | Total Posts: 19 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
Smokey
INTL Premium Member
fuck this title

funkle smokey

Ballkicks: (+845 / -114)
Reg. Date: Jun 2004
(Originally posted on: 01-27-08 08:15:28 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

I was really surprised that instead of hating this movie like I knew I was going to - I actually loved it. Ellen Page reminds me of Hard Candy made me hate Ellen Page. I don't even know if I am the only one that hated Hard Candy - but Ellen Pages performance annoyed me - Turns out I should have known better. What was terrible about Hard Candy was the fact that Hard Candy was a preachy fucking mess that so desperately attempted to be dark and topical without even coming close to scratching the surface of its own trite 2 dimensional subject matter. Ellen Page did the best she could, but what can do when your director is too far up his own ass to properly develop characters and a plot that works on any level whatsoever?

Anyway fuck hard candy. Juno is about a 16 year old girl who gets pregnant and decides to give the child away to a seemingly loving couple and it threatens on every level, all through the film, to be a terrible lifetime special! Probably the best thing about this movie is Juno herself - saving Ellen Page for me. She's just a joy to listen to even though there's virtually nothing realistic about her character at all. Everyone else is great too.

What SAVES the film is the fact that instead of becomming a lifetime special - it refrains from judging a single one of it's characters. They are all flawed, but all somehow justified in their flaws - even our character of Mark, the one who is to become the father of Juno's child - who finds himself having romantic feelings for this 16 year old girl, is never portrayed as sick or evil and is never kidnapped by Juno!! That's why hard candy sucked = and exactly why this movie pretty much never does.

Yay Juno - great movie.
Sex
Amphytrite
Hard for Drah

I don't really even like hearing about it or reading about it

Ballkicks: (+1869 / -83)
Reg. Date: Apr 2004
Reply 1 of 19 (Originally posted on: 01-27-08 09:09:37 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

Okay, I'm not even going to remark on what you said about Hard Candy because that's for another thread.
Quote:
They are all flawed, but all somehow justified in their flaws - even our character of Mark, the one who is to become the father of Juno's child - who finds himself having romantic feelings for this 16 year old girl, is never portrayed as sick or evil and is never kidnapped by Juno!

Really? I don't think he had romantic feelings for Juno herself, but rather what she portrayed--a simpler, more carefree lifestyle that his wife forced him to reject.
Don't get me wrong, I loved Juno, but I didn't feel it was entirely realistic. I doubt it was supposed to be, and I can't even put my finger on what made me feel that way, but it doesn't seem like something the story was exactly on point. If I figure it out, I'll let you know because I'm sure you're dying to find out what it is!!!
i am raising my eyebrow

Vissario: i am here to serve
Amphy: then make me a sandwich.
Vissario: holy shit
Vissario: u just did not say that, sugaboo

Sunny: I'm actually vissario in disguise
Smokey
INTL Premium Member
fuck this title

funkle smokey

Reply 2 of 19 (Originally posted on: 01-27-08 10:04:03 PM)

Quoted from Ampitheatre:
Okay, I'm not even going to remark on what you said about Hard Candy because that's for another thread.

You liked it. I know. Most people did. I didn't.

Quoted from Ampitheatre:

Really? I don't think he had romantic feelings for Juno herself, but rather what she portrayed--a simpler, more carefree lifestyle that his wife forced him to reject.

Well, yeah that's where the feelings came from but when he says "What was I thinking - you're so young" - we are left with a pretty clear picture of what it was he was thinking - and instead of going all lolita like it surely seemed like it was going, it chose instead to show the humanity behind the character instead of jumping on a soap box. That would be one example of Juno doing this - another is on the abortion issue. Juno steers clear of a lot of formulaic stuff - the stuff I was expecting to be bombarded with. Happy surprise. Mark saw his mistake before he made it, but it was pretty clear he was itching to make it. Keeping him from actually making the mistake is probably the only way an audience wouldn't hate him, too, even if they shouldn't.

Quoted from Ampitheatre:
Don't get me wrong, I loved Juno, but I didn't feel it was entirely realistic. I doubt it was supposed to be, and I can't even put my finger on what made me feel that way, but it doesn't seem like something the story was exactly on point. If I figure it out, I'll let you know because I'm sure you're dying to find out what it is!!!

I can maybe tell you. It's obviously a comedy first and foremost so it's characters seem to parody much of what they represent - but the subject matter demands drama, and when the film veers into the dramatic, it does surprisingly well not to ice the cake with the things that made me hate hard candy. The movie isn't about teen pregnancy it's about Juno. So I learned to toss out my initial disappointment in the realism when I got that sense like 20 minutes in. I was not initially sold on the movie.

The first spec of unrealism is in the teen speak...which is pretty much made up stuff that I guess is making fun of the way we are when we're young and how through our language among other things we tend to push ourselves away from the adult world - which would make sense in the context of the story where our character is sort of forced headfirst into it. But maybe that's just me being over-analytical. Either way it made me not think I was going to like it even after I started watching.

Another thing is the parents - especially the dad - ex army turned heater repairman or salesman or something (I forget). He was set up to be a completely intolerant and maybe abusive father and turned out to be one of the most likable father figures ever - for a screenplay written by a woman about situations that are particularly harsh for women...this script loves its men. That made me happy.

Understanding and caring parents in a movie about a pregnant teenage girl??? OMFG!

Anyway I found it to be a breath of fresh air. My hard candy rant was sort of an apology to Ellen Page though...she deserve the praise she gets even if I don't think Hard Candy does.
Sex
D
Administrator

i didn't have the strength to get it all the way off

Ballkicks: (+1950 / -91)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
Reply 3 of 19 (Originally posted on: 01-28-08 07:59:40 AM)

I watched it last night. It was a charming movie. I'm not crazy about it though. Juno was unnecessarily obnoxious at times. Still it was good though.

Yeah I couldn't tell if the guy liked Juno or just liked hanging out with her and being free. It seemed like he liked her but it seems like one of those things you don't want to believe and since you don't have too much evidence you kinda reject in your mind.
C
Administrator

Level 90 Ginger

Ballkicks: (+723 / -204)
Reg. Date: Jun 2002
Reply 4 of 19 (Originally posted on: 01-28-08 10:57:43 AM)

"jeez banana shut your freaking gob" just sounded a little too much like napoleon dynamite for me.

Still, decent movie.
I don't have a drinking problem.
I drink, I get drunk, I fall down.
No problem.
wheezy
The Reel RS Krew
Lord Handsome

The next time you wanna call a coon a nigger, call that spearchucker a jungle bunny instead. I know, I know... nigger rolls off the tongue so easy, but there is a world of rarely used racial slurs that we need to start utilizing. White power!

Ballkicks: (+527 / -190)
Reg. Date: Dec 2001
Reply 5 of 19 (Originally posted on: 01-28-08 12:35:56 PM)

I saw it and thought it was alright. I laughed a few times...it was decent. Then again, I'm pretty easy going when it comes to movies. I doubt Pixies or Kitabatake would like it (Since they don't like any movies that everyone else likes, and only praises movies that don't have commercials for them, but then again Juno wasn't really over-hyped...), but I think it is worth seeing. My one friend disagrees and while he doesn't hate it, he certainly doesn't believe it deserves all the attention it's getting.

This is from a facebook post of his:
Quote:
Okay, America is in love with "Juno." And they have a few reasons to be. It's a decent flick that I'd put somewhere in the "B" range. I like the cast, Ellen Page is thoroughly entertaining, and it surprised me with some of the dramatic turns towards the end. But ya know what, Jason Reitman and Diablo Cody?

STOP SHOVING QUIRKY DOWN MY THROAT FOR THE FIRST HALF OF THE MOVIE.

Oh, look the track team is running by again in the background! Juno is talking on a hamburger phone! She set up a whole set of furniture on Paulie's lawn, and is pretending to smoke a pipe! Look, Rainn Wilson is saying ridiculous things! Hey, an obnoxious opening sequence! An equally obnoxious and obtrusive soundtrack! The receptionist at the abortion clinic is being far too candid about her sex life! Hardy-har-har.

And unlike "Waitress" and "Knocked Up," it doesn't feel like anyone involved in the film has ever been around a pregnant woman. Those films had details and insights; "Juno" uses it as nothing more than a plot point. Hey, Juno's eating a lot of food and is kinda cranky in one scene! Oh, pregnancy. Sharp writing, Diablo.

I liked Jennifer Garner and Jason Bateman's storyline, and their performances. I like the scene between Bateman and Juno where they dance. But as much as I love J.K. Simmons, he's stuck playing the stock slightly-gruff-but-affable-dad. WHO IS KINDA QUIRKY!!!!!!! And the writing in the scene where he tells Juno about love... barf. What Lifetime movie did you steal that dialogue from, Diablo?

Most importantly, I feel that Juno would hate the ending of "Juno." At the end of "Ghost World," does Enid stop hiding from the affection people are pouring out at her, and embrace life? No. She runs away.

Oh, shit, I have to stop now. There's a quirkily dressed track team running through my office and eating red Tic-Tacs.

ALSO! Minus infinity points to Diablo Cody for re-naming herself Diablo Cody. You can't run from your past forever, Brook Busey

He also wrote a few more posts about different aspects of the movie that weren't so great.
U CANT TRICK THE TRICKSTER

Moderator of the Proud Inside Discussions Forum.
www.uselessstatic.com
kayte
INTL Premium Member

How long until this becomes my new title let's count the seconds

Ballkicks: (+1019 / -241)
Reg. Date: Nov 2003
Reply 6 of 19 (Originally posted on: 01-28-08 01:49:02 PM)

I don't particularly like to critique movies simply because the more I do so the less I tend to like them, but I saw Juno last night and I liked it fine, it was funny, I laughed. The dialogue was a bit much at times (toooo precious, "Diablo" "Cody") but overall yeah - enjoyable. And I especially liked Juno's parents.

Ooh but the sort of semi-sexual tension between Juno and Mark was awkward.
Air Bud
Internet Superstar

Some plants even masturbate into their own vaginas in order to reproduce.

Ballkicks: (+918 / -56)
Reg. Date: Sep 2001
Reply 7 of 19 (Originally posted on: 01-28-08 08:27:44 PM)

I'm curious to see Juno, but I doubt I'll see it in the theatre. Everyone I know who has seen it has boiled it down to a gigantic trendy circle jerk of quirky quotable catchphrases that will hold very little water after current pop culture is rendered obsolete.
emtilt

the cow of horses

Ballkicks: (+486 / -41)
Reply 8 of 19 (Originally posted on: 01-28-08 08:57:32 PM)

As I said in the other thread, I liked it. I thought it was a charming comedy, and I laughed at it a lot. It is largely trendy and sometimes overly clever/quirky, but it's still a very fun movie. And I don't understand the criticism that it isn't realistic. It isn't really supposed to be and it wouldn't work if it were.
this is my music i hope you like it
this is music i listen to these are movies i like these are books i like
Hoff
Lightnin' Hopkins

Helping a brother out.

Ballkicks: (+192 / -38)
Reg. Date: Jan 2006
Reply 9 of 19 (Originally posted on: 01-28-08 10:24:37 PM)

I enjoyed it. It wasn't the type of movie that made me want to watch it again, but I enjoyed it all the way through. I agree that some of Juno's quirky dialog was a bit over the top borderline annoying at some points. I'm sure I would enjoy it again as long as it wasn't fresh in my mind.
Smokey
INTL Premium Member
fuck this title

funkle smokey

Reply 10 of 19 (Originally posted on: 01-31-08 10:35:31 PM)

Maybe it's the "I'm a writer" aspect of the film that grabbed onto me. Because it is absolutely the kind of movie I would watch again. The anti-folk soundtrack is awesome, the writing is awesome, the acting is awesome, the twists in formula are awesome and the plot is successful where it should have failed.

Granted, the twists in formula part should have some sort of super accent over it - the fact that at every turn this movie avoids being what you think it will/should be based on concept and experience with movies of the like is enough to make worthy the praise the movie has gotten. Even if, in my opinion, some of the praise is given without proper understanding of why it is deserved.

Not the best movie ever or anything...but good and surprising enough to punch Hollywood in the ribs and say "This is how you do it!"
Sex
D
Administrator

Reply 11 of 19 (Originally posted on: 02-01-08 06:34:06 AM)

I just wanted to say that I love the song they play in the very end.

I guess don't watch if you haven't seen it, possibly some kinda spoiler?
poop
$$~~~Crips~~~$$
slooooooooooooots

i'd expect more sorcery in a place called mana pools

Ballkicks: (+731 / -71)
Reg. Date: May 2002
Reply 12 of 19 (Originally posted on: 02-01-08 08:35:16 AM)

She can sing well. He's pretty terrible though.
emtilt

the cow of horses

Ballkicks: (+486 / -41)
Reply 13 of 19 (Originally posted on: 02-01-08 10:34:45 AM)

Quoted from Dimi:

Which brings up another point: Kimya Dawson/Adam Green/The Moldy Peaches are the last musicians ever that I would have expected to suddenly become popular, to the point of even doing TV talk shows and things, due to a movie. Crazy.
this is my music i hope you like it
this is music i listen to these are movies i like these are books i like
Hoff
Lightnin' Hopkins

Helping a brother out.

Reply 14 of 19 (Originally posted on: 02-01-08 10:46:21 AM)

Quoted from Tartarus:
I thought that the actors were singing it at first because of how the song sounded. But then i found out the original is by The Moldy Peaches. Thats just the way the original song is.

And if micheal cera and that juno chick are actually singing, they probably were trying to sound like the original. And I really like the laid back lazy messy-ness of the song. Its got a good feel I think.

And besides, everyone knows that Michael Cera can belt it out...

Quoted from Dimi:
Me and my roommate play this at parties, its always the most touching moment of the night.
Air Bud
Internet Superstar

Some plants even masturbate into their own vaginas in order to reproduce.

Ballkicks: (+918 / -56)
Reg. Date: Sep 2001
Reply 15 of 19 (Originally posted on: 02-01-08 11:20:52 AM)

Quoted from emtilt:
Quoted from Dimi:

Which brings up another point: Kimya Dawson/Adam Green/The Moldy Peaches are the last musicians ever that I would have expected to suddenly become popular, to the point of even doing TV talk shows and things, due to a movie. Crazy.
I was actually surprised when I saw the soundtrack listing and noticed that Kimya Dawson had about a quarter of the songs on it. Definitely gives her career a shot in the arm.

I actually kinda wish it had been Madeline instead of Kimya Dawson though.
D
Administrator

Reply 16 of 19 (Originally posted on: 02-01-08 11:54:03 AM)

Quoted from Tartarus:

Really? Its admittedly not perfect, and kinda messy, but that makes it perfect in its own way. I love that voice, especially for that song.
jimmy
Selber Schuld, kein Mitleid

I am really bad at giving custom titles and, well, the internet in general tbqh

Ballkicks: (+506 / -233)
Reg. Date: Nov 2003
Reply 17 of 19 (Originally posted on: 02-02-08 02:08:59 PM)

Quoted from emtilt:
Quoted from Dimi:

I have to say that Adam's solo career is much more interesting to me than his career with Moldy Peaches...you should give it a listen.
Ryan
Big Sausage Pizza

From west philadelphia born and raised on the playground it's said I spent most of my days

Ballkicks: (+64 / -17)
Reg. Date: Nov 2006
Reply 18 of 19 (Originally posted on: 02-16-08 01:14:01 AM)

Quoted from Hoff:
And if micheal cera and that juno chick are actually singing

They are, the Soundtrack has the track twice, one with the original, and one with Michael Cera and Ellen Page.

I really enjoyed this movie and the soundtrack, I'm not really sure why people are so critical of it and think for some reason it even needs to be "realistic". The only problem I had with it was Jennifer Garner, I just hate her in anything she's ever in, and she ruined part of the movie for me. I'm kind of glad she was casted as who she was supposed to portray though, because she doesn't really have a likable role anyway.
Hoff
Lightnin' Hopkins

Helping a brother out.

Reply 19 of 19 (Originally posted on: 02-16-08 09:57:25 AM)

oh awesome, I love Micheal Cera even more now.
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 2018 | Total Posts: 19 ]