Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Discussion Forums > The "Song A Day" Thread Forum > Obama; the man reporters just can't get on top'ah. > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest. Moderated by: D drahnier
Page: [ 1 2 ] [ Thread Views: 1356 | Total Posts: 35 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Subscribe To Thread
Does Obama have a solid and concise set of planks upon which he has based his platform upon?
This poll has expired.
Yes, his goals are likened to a Divine plan from the NAACP 1 vote, 14.286%
Yes, but they need clarification 1 vote, 14.286%
Yes and no to some extent 1 vote, 14.286%
No, but his general ideas seem visible 0 votes, 0%
No, he is playing identity politics and takes a stand on that which is expedient to his nomination 3 votes, 42.857%
LoL, what's a 'platform', dude? The place I smoke pot under with my buddies? 1 vote, 14.286%
Totals: 7 votes, 103.058%
Modify Poll
atlas sighed (at me)
User is currently banned until further notice.

(Originally posted on: 01-07-08 11:14:46 AM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

When I look at this man, I see a sterling face, a trim and sharp hair style, bright-and-white teeth, and of course, the shimmering veneer of youth and confidence. But other than that, what is this man? What are his planks? And most importantly why should I vote for him?

According to him, and most candidates, the answer is because he will "change" things. Perusing his website's listed issues (of which "Civil Rights" is no. 1), I find that most of them are of the same tired rhetoric used by most, if not all, democratic party members. They all speak of populist measures like "supporting the middle class" or "changing big government" but they rarely give any detailed plan for such an accomplishment. This same formula, however, seems to be a positive thing for Obama as, unlike his peers, he actually looks like "change".

He is, in fact, black. Not only that, but he is young (I.E. not a baby-boomer) and therefore he is assumed to be more "in touch" with the current world. For those two reasons, I think this man is a genius; he has the right tools and talents to play the strategy known as identity politics for the fullest effect. Because he is black and he is young (traits missing in all of the other prominent candidates), people are going to naturally assume that when he speaks of change , he actually means to accomplish it because he himself embodies the vague idea known as change.

What do you think? Does this man have a real solid and forward-thinking set of ideas upon which he is basing his campaign or is he just appealing to the psychological motives of some 230 million potential voters out there?
abused
i done told you once bitch

Looks and acts like a douche-bag

Ballkicks: (+820 / -208)
Reg. Date: Dec 2002
Reply 1 of 35 (Originally posted on: 01-07-08 01:20:36 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

I love Obama and I wish I was American solely so I could vote for him.

In my opinion, most politicians are full of air and basically the same. At least this one has the ability to know what life is like for the average person.

He wasn't always rich. He tried drugs. He played basketball.

I like him because he's a real person. And until I see other politicians that actually "make a difference", I am going to vote for the one that seems sincere, laid back, and friendly.

Also his views (guns are bad, queers are ok) align well with mine.
"Hey there, Fancypants. Play the songs that make us dance. Play the tunes that make the ladies swoon. A song for all the lonely hearts, shattered dreams and broken parts. It feels like sunny days are coming soon."
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

gotta get that VICTORY ROYALE #gamer #memes #LoL

Ballkicks: (+1782 / -130)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
Reply 2 of 35 (Originally posted on: 01-07-08 02:30:24 PM)

I love Obama; I was afraid to get excited about him because I kind of saw him as too good to be true.

As you have said, his platform isn't all that unique amongst Democrats. He has two principal strengths that make him the most attractive candidate that America has seen since JFK (yeah i said it). The first is, as you have again mentioned, his membership post-baby-boomer generation. If (when) Obama wins, perhaps America will finally be free from the legacy of Vietnam. Finally politics can be about something other than Did you fight willingly, did you protest, did you fight unwillingly, or did you dodge the draft?

Because he doesn't have to answer these questions, people can feel comfortable about him -- perhaps we will reach the point in politics where a military background isn't almost a necessity.

The second issue, not to be taken lightly (as Hillary would want you to do), is that he is capable of inspiring people. His ideas, though not unique, are so well expressed that they cannot help but to inspire people. Again, the case of JFK is worth remembering -- though he didn't survive to see them, the moon landing and to a lesser extent the entire civil rights movement are seen as legacies of his politics.

I believe that Obama can do great things in Washington, and I hope that his election will spur other like-minded people to run for Congress in 2010. Maybe then America can finally get over Vietnam.
Sunn O)))
INTL Alumni
14 year RP master

Zan-beef

Ballkicks: (+761 / -127)
Reply 3 of 35 (Originally posted on: 01-07-08 03:42:33 PM)

Quote:
Because he doesn't have to answer these questions, people can feel comfortable about him -- perhaps we will reach the point in politics where a military background isn't almost a necessity.

Give it twenty or thirty years, and it will be about Iraq.
goatsnacks
Administrators

"When I decide to brush (maybe once a week)" -Snook, INTL's #1 Scrub

Ballkicks: (+512 / -167)
Reg. Date: Feb 2004
Reply 4 of 35 (Originally posted on: 01-07-08 05:24:49 PM)

he is the tiger woods of politics
"A man chooses, a slave obeys."
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

gotta get that VICTORY ROYALE #gamer #memes #LoL

Ballkicks: (+1782 / -130)
Reply 5 of 35 (Originally posted on: 01-07-08 05:57:45 PM)

Quoted from Hermione:
Give it twenty or thirty years, and it will be about Iraq.

No. The scale is so much smaller that without a draft, Iraq will never have the devastating cultural impact that Vietnam has proven to have.
drahnier
INTL VIP
:iceburn:

Ballkicks: (+886 / -232)
Reply 6 of 35 (Originally posted on: 01-08-08 01:52:10 AM)

Quote:
He is, in fact, black. Not only that, but he is young (I.E. not a baby-boomer) and therefore he is assumed to be more "in touch" with the current world. For those two reasons, I think this man is a genius; he has the right tools and talents to play the strategy known as identity politics for the fullest effect. Because he is black and he is young (traits missing in all of the other prominent candidates), people are going to naturally assume that when he speaks of change , he actually means to accomplish it because he himself embodies the vague idea known as change.

I think you're right about how his talk of change seems more sincere because he's young and black, yes.

The question is does this outweigh the resistance many americans are going to feel towards electing a black president.

Quote:
I like him because he's a real person. And until I see other politicians that actually "make a difference", I am going to vote for the one that seems sincere, laid back, and friendly.

You realize he has people letting him know what his opinions need to be in order to manipulate the masses, just like all he others, right?
DRAHNIER
This reply was last edited on 01-08-08 02:03:37 AM by drahnier.
KaosDeath
INTL Premium Member

literally believes that communism works

Ballkicks: (+70 / -32)
Reg. Date: Aug 2006
Reply 7 of 35 (Originally posted on: 01-08-08 05:49:37 AM)

Quoted from Flip Wilson:
It would be ridiculous for me to say anything negative regarding blacks having an equal opportunity on TV.
Angus

D'oh!

Ballkicks: (+621 / -84)
Reg. Date: Jun 2004
Reply 8 of 35 (Originally posted on: 01-08-08 05:53:39 AM)

He likes hope and unity and bipartisan solutions and unity and hope. I don't see how I couldn't like him.
Nemesis
Zuri's Cat
They're ALL scientologists damn you! IT'S A CONSPIRACY!

Ballkicks: (+87 / -19)
Reply 9 of 35 (Originally posted on: 01-08-08 08:22:47 AM)

First of all, nice work Vissario, you actually put together a halfway decent thread. That deserves recognition considering the shitfest that has been every other thread you've ever made.

I don't necessarily dislike Obama, because I definitely like him better than Clinton (if it's Clinton/Guliani I will seriously consider leaving the country rather than voting) but he seems to make a lot of promises. I'm only going off the issues I care about; education and tech, but he's got a pretty tall order in those areas. We'll see how it all turns out I suppose.
atlas sighed (at me)

Reply 10 of 35 (Originally posted on: 01-08-08 09:25:34 AM)

Quoted from Adam:

In my opinion, most politicians are full of air and basically the same. At least this one has the ability to know what life is like for the average person.

[ignorant masses]

Quoted from drahnier:
You realize he has people letting him know what his opinions need to be in order to manipulate the masses, just like all he others, right?

Refer to the above message

Also, I am going to enjoy watching any of his rival contenders who tear this man up made into racists for doing so. Holy shit, Obama has this campaign in the bag!
abused

Reply 11 of 35 (Originally posted on: 01-08-08 09:59:45 AM)

Quoted from vissario:
Quoted from Adam:

[ignorant masses]

Quoted from drahnier:

Refer to the above message

Also, I am going to enjoy watching any of his rival contenders who tear this man up made into racists for doing so. Holy shit, Obama has this campaign in the bag!

Instead of just calling me ignorant, please argue the specifics. It could be easy to say that because someone has played basketball and smoke pot it doesn't make them President material.

Anyway, I have not seen many politicians in any country do much except further their own interests and make lots of empty promises that they don't keep.

How is it ignorant to cheer on the guy that, while articulate, intelligent and confident, is an "average guy" who understands how the average person lives/thinks?

How is it ignorant to not want another 50 year old white republican?

Additionally, how is it ignorant to want someone who is actually charismatic and good at public speaking? Perhaps he can repair some of the horrendous damage your current president has done in tarnishing the image of USA across the world.

You can say that he is lucky to be young and black because he can represent change. I hate to say it, but being young and black is an advantage. There are many youth, and many African Americans, who feel like they have been shut out of politics. Obama can bring everyone together.

Quote:

Definitely. But he does it with a lot more charm and sincerity.
"Hey there, Fancypants. Play the songs that make us dance. Play the tunes that make the ladies swoon. A song for all the lonely hearts, shattered dreams and broken parts. It feels like sunny days are coming soon."
atlas sighed (at me)

Reply 12 of 35 (Originally posted on: 01-08-08 10:29:27 AM)

Quote:
It could be easy to say that because someone has played basketball and smoke pot it doesn't make them President material.

You're right, it makes them "black".

Quote:
How is it ignorant to cheer on the guy that, while articulate, intelligent and confident, is an "average guy" who understands how the average person lives/thinks?

Because it ignores the fact that he, like all of the other candidates, uses big money, big campaign "advisors", and big media outlets to reinforce that friendly, "average-guy" impression you have of him. Guess what Adam, just because you see it on T.V. doesn't make it real!

Quote:
How is it ignorant to not want another 50 year old white republican?

Because stereotyping is generally ignorant.

Quote:
Additionally, how is it ignorant to want someone who is actually charismatic and good at public speaking?

'Charisma' isn't a good solution to problematic issues like oil dependency, climate change, foreign entanglement, and brown people abroad.

Quote:
There are many youth, and many African Americans, who feel like they have been shut out of politics.

And that isn't their fault?

The fact that Tron and Shaniqua can't get their act together in American society and politics should have no bearing on who I vote for.

Quote:
Definitely. But he does it with a lot more charm and sincerity.

Once again...

[ignorant masses]
This reply was last edited on 01-09-08 11:47:14 AM by atlas sighed (at me).
abused

Reply 13 of 35 (Originally posted on: 01-08-08 02:08:07 PM)

So in the same post you say that black people smoke pot and play basketball and that stereotyping is ignorant...

Point well made, sir.

And yes, he uses lots of money to campaign... everyone who is running is forced to. I don't hold him at fault for the system.
Acheron
INTL Premium Member
If I die in Raleigh, at least I will die free.

is this guy acheron???????? hahaha acheron you big fag

Ballkicks: (+224 / -116)
Reg. Date: Mar 2004
Reply 14 of 35 (Originally posted on: 01-08-08 02:53:25 PM)

He's taken lots of donations from Pharmaceutical companies and healthcare industry types.

That worries me. As does his lack of foreign policy experience, and some of the things he's said seem a little naive. He's backpedaled from all of them, though.

Give him a few more years in the senate so that I can actually see what kind of record the guy will have and I'd support him. Right now, he has no voting record, and I don't really know who he is. Actions are what make a good politician, and he hasn't been around long enough for me to trust that he'll get the job done.

If he's the nominee, I'll vote for him, but I'd prefer someone who knows what they're doing and has a proven track record of getting things accomplished.
"All governments lie, but disaster lies in wait for countries whose officials smoke the same hashish they give out." -IF Stone
atlas sighed (at me)

Reply 15 of 35 (Originally posted on: 01-09-08 11:45:52 AM)

Quote:
So in the same post you say that black people smoke pot and play basketball and that stereotyping is ignorant...

Point well made, sir.

Great job responding seriously to a comment made in jest.

Quote:
And yes, he uses lots of money to campaign... everyone who is running is forced to. I don't hold him at fault for the system.

That's humorous considering that his entire campaign is about 'changing' the system.
Sunn O)))
INTL Alumni
14 year RP master

Zan-beef

Ballkicks: (+761 / -127)
Reply 16 of 35 (Originally posted on: 01-09-08 12:38:34 PM)

Quoted from vissario:
Quote:

Point well made, sir.

To be honest, I don't blame him for not knowing whether something you state is made in jest or is serious. i'm a serial-killer :)
atlas sighed (at me)

Reply 17 of 35 (Originally posted on: 01-09-08 12:42:47 PM)

Quoted from Hermione:
Quoted from vissario:
Quote:

Point well made, sir.

To be honest, I don't blame him for not knowing whether something you state is made in jest or is serious. i'm a serial-killer :)

You're right, Sunny; it's not his fault he is a part of the ignorant masses.
Sixten Sparre
Épater la bourgeoisie

wears neckerchiefs

Ballkicks: (+1184 / -307)
Reg. Date: Sep 2002
Reply 18 of 35 (Originally posted on: 01-09-08 01:09:45 PM)

What are you then? The ignorant loner?
Tough, Unique, Bad, Bodacious, and Sassy.
Angus

D'oh!

Ballkicks: (+621 / -84)
Reg. Date: Jun 2004
Reply 19 of 35 (Originally posted on: 01-09-08 03:53:23 PM)

I think Obama is full of shit.
atlas sighed (at me)

Reply 20 of 35 (Originally posted on: 01-10-08 08:05:27 AM)

Quoted from Surt:

[crappy one-liner]

PS. Thank you Adam, Sunny, and Surt, for dilluting my thread with base ad hominem bullshit and baiting me into the joining the festivities! When I want to point out just how much I hate all three of you, I will be sure to make a thread titled 'FUCK CANADA/EUROPE PUSSIES' and not one titled 'Obama'.
abused

Reply 21 of 35 (Originally posted on: 01-10-08 08:09:57 AM)

Quoted from vissario:
Quoted from Surt:

[crappy one-liner]

PS. Thank you Adam, Sunny, and Surt, for dilluting my thread with base ad hominem bullshit and baiting me into the joining the festivities! When I want to point out just how much I hate all three of you, I will be sure to make a thread titled 'FUCK CANADA/EUROPE PUSSIES' and not one titled 'Obama'.

Oh, sorry. I thought I was just making on-topic posts in an attempt to discuss this important issue.

Also, nice continuation on your hypocrisy Mr. "I'm against ad hominem attacks ... you are pussies!"
atlas sighed (at me)

Reply 22 of 35 (Originally posted on: 01-10-08 08:30:49 AM)

Quote:
Oh, sorry. I thought I was just making on-topic posts in an attempt to discuss this important issue.

I addressed your points about Obama being young, charismatic, ready to change, black, blah, blah, blah and you rolled over on any rebuttal and instead called me ignorant for calling you ignorant. If you want to start over I won't even act like I already won the argument.
Sixten Sparre
Épater la bourgeoisie

wears neckerchiefs

Ballkicks: (+1184 / -307)
Reg. Date: Sep 2002
Reply 23 of 35 (Originally posted on: 01-10-08 08:50:53 AM)

My one-liner was better than your whole thread
Tough, Unique, Bad, Bodacious, and Sassy.
This reply was last edited on 01-10-08 08:57:30 AM by Sixten Sparre.
atlas sighed (at me)

Reply 24 of 35 (Originally posted on: 01-10-08 08:57:42 AM)

Quoted from Surt:
My one-liner was better thant your whole thread

for that awesome one-liner you deserve a +k surt
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 2 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 1356 | Total Posts: 35 ]