Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Site Comments > Archives > Archived Forums > Linux Corner: computers for something other than windows? WHAT > Call of Duty 4 - Modern Warfare > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest.
Page: [ 1 2 3 ] [ Thread Views: 6190 | Total Posts: 63 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
IF0
Administrator

Hey, I was with Mary Magdalene last night....smell my finger lol

Ballkicks: (+621 / -173)
Reg. Date: Jul 2003
(Originally posted on: 11-15-07 03:54:27 AM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

I have it for PS3.

This game is pretty awesome, and I like the game-play. I haven't much played the single-player campaign, though I heard it's short. But the multiplayer online is set up like Halo's so it's easy to find stuff to do. There are different classes of characters that do different things (Sniper vs. Assault vs. Demolitions, etc.) and have different equipment and different "perks." The perks are, for example, an assault guy can sprint more. Someone has a steady hand for shooting from the hip more accurately. There are also things that, when you level up, you can select as additional abilities, such as firing off a few extra shots as you die, or dropping a grenade when you die (to be a prick, obviously). You level up by playing online and getting promoted and thereby getting a higher rank. Also, when you get multiple kills in a row, you're rewarded with the ability to call in attack helicopters, scan the map with a radar to see where everybody is, call a bomb strike, etc. You can create custom classes to be starting at 4th level/rank. I am typing this because I woke up in the middle of the night and can't sleep, so if it doesn't make sense or I missed something, that's why.
Adopt a leggo my eggo ifo.
Pertti Susilainen
Head Priest

mr. sukkit

Ballkicks: (+924 / -57)
Reg. Date: Dec 2002
Reply 1 of 63 (Originally posted on: 11-15-07 04:28:27 AM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

I'm playing the demo for PC. I really liked the atmosphere, it's nice to be playing CoD without having to kill Germans again and again. The modern but realistic setting is very refreshing. I'll definitely look into acquiring the full game.

The only thing I didn't like was the loading level intro. You know how in CoD and CoD2 (and, I assume, CoD3) sometimes a movie was played, sort of like a documentary, and then you were informed of the situation by diary notes written by your character, and stuff like that. I thought that was good for setting the mood. In the demo there's nothing like that. The intro is some sort of Command and Conquer-ish flashy thing that I didn't really like. But yeah, this is very minor. The game itself great, from what I've seen.

ps: isn't it Modern Warfare?
đonne onwŠcne­ eft wineleas guma, gesih­ him biforan fealwe wegas, ba■ian brimfuglas, brŠdan fe■ra, hreosan hrim ond snaw hagle gemenged. Ůonne beo­ ■y hefigran heortan benne, sare Šfter swŠsne. Sorg bi­ geniwad ■onne maga gemynd mod geondhweorfe­, grete­ gliwstafum, georne geondsceawa­ secga geseldan; swimma­ oft on weg. Fleotendra fer­ no ■Šr fela bringe­ cu­ra cwidegiedda.
The Wanderer, l. 45-55a
IF0
Administrator

Reply 2 of 63 (Originally posted on: 11-15-07 09:57:53 AM)

Yes it is Modern Warfare. In the campaign that I have, there is a storyline with talking and briefing and all that.
Shadowe

I kinda want to see that up someone's ass

Ballkicks: (+90 / -84)
Reg. Date: Dec 2004
Reply 3 of 63 (Originally posted on: 11-15-07 06:25:20 PM)

So on a scale of "Battlefield 2 ripoff" to 10 how is it?
Hanlon's Razor: Never assume malice when stupidity will suffice.
Nemesis
Zuri's Cat
They're ALL scientologists damn you! IT'S A CONSPIRACY!

Ballkicks: (+87 / -19)
Reply 4 of 63 (Originally posted on: 11-15-07 07:48:03 PM)

Quoted from Shadowe:
So on a scale of "Battlefield 2 ripoff" to 10 how is it?

Let's just say you probably played this game 2 years ago, except with vehicles. The controls feel clunky because it takes a while to pull out a different weapon. I don't play video games to simulate real war. In other words I don't feel it should take 5 seconds to pull out your RPG. The kits, while I enjoy the ability to pick my weapons, (Rainbow 6 Vegas did this so much better) you still have to carry a side arm which means you immediately swap to your pistol and pick up a dead guy's gun as soon as you get into combat. As far as BF2 ripoff goes, I actually thought my room mate was playing BF2 when I heard the Arabic voices, because I swear they say the exact same thing. They also decided EA had a good idea when they threw in the ability to do a bombardment and a UAV, because that's in there(Sans the fun of having someone play commander.) While I'm at it, that "level up to get better guns" thing EA had? Yeah that's here too. I guess it's ok as far a console shooter goes, however I still prefer gears by a fair margin. Also with the lack of vehicles and huge 32v32 player maps, it pales in comparison with what we'll call it's predecessor. Don't fix what's not broken. And before someone flames me for not having a good enough computer to run BF2, what the fuck did you spend 300-600 dollars on a console for? BF2 doesn't take dick to run like a champ.

Edited to add that the clipping is fucking atrocious, and if there's so much as a pebble in front of you you won't move over it.
This reply was last edited on 11-16-07 10:30:00 AM by Nemesis.
Ryan
Big Sausage Pizza

From west philadelphia born and raised on the playground it's said I spent most of my days

Ballkicks: (+64 / -17)
Reg. Date: Nov 2006
Reply 5 of 63 (Originally posted on: 11-18-07 12:19:37 PM)

I'd like to say the exact polar opposite. This is the best FPS I've ever played, especially on a console.

It's SO much better than Halo 3.
IF0
Administrator

Reply 6 of 63 (Originally posted on: 11-18-07 04:32:15 PM)

Actually, I haven't had any experience with any of the issues Nemesis has. What system did you play it on?

For example:
The pulling out the pistol is almost immediate, and is faster than reloading (in fact, they inform you of this in case you're in the middle of a fight and run out of ammo)

"Picking up a dead guy's gun" doesn't mean much if you've managed to customize your own gun how you like it. I.E. I love having a light machine gun with a laser scope. They hit hard.

I enjoy it a lot.
Shadowe

I kinda want to see that up someone's ass

Ballkicks: (+90 / -84)
Reg. Date: Dec 2004
Reply 7 of 63 (Originally posted on: 11-18-07 07:01:30 PM)

So where every other CoD game pretty much mugged and raped Day of Defeat and Mohaa in an alley this one just politely asked Battlefield 2 for some pointers and went to the same tailor.
Hanlon's Razor: Never assume malice when stupidity will suffice.
Nemesis
Zuri's Cat
They're ALL scientologists damn you! IT'S A CONSPIRACY!

Ballkicks: (+87 / -19)
Reply 8 of 63 (Originally posted on: 11-18-07 07:15:58 PM)

Don't get me wrong, I don't actually hate the game. I just think Battlefield did it better. I definitely agree that it's better than the shitheap that Halo 3 is (Fuck shotty sniper in the ear really fucking hard, and the inability to choose the type of game you want to play aside from the basic genre.) I still think that pulling out the RPG takes entirely too fucking long, though this has been repaired by never using an RPG and abusing claymore mines like a cheap hooker. That and the clipping is kind of a pain in the dick. It's become less the pebble thing I bitched about earlier, and more that you can't walk through your teammates -- but you can shoot through them. Those fucks take advantage and use you as a human shield. As far as console shooters go I think this and Gears are probably the best we're going to see for a while.
Fisher
INTL Premium Member
jhsdfi;loiha

Fishdick

Ballkicks: (+439 / -139)
Reg. Date: Jun 2002
Reply 9 of 63 (Originally posted on: 11-19-07 03:08:47 PM)

1. Play Team Hardcore instead.

2. The RPG takes long to take out for good reason. In hardcore it'll blast a whole room.

3. You can kill teammates in hardcore. Easily.

4. Call of Duty is built for its campaign, which it does well again for the 4th time in a row.

It's not even HD, and it looks gorgeous. It doesn't attempt to compare to Battlefield, either, and there are about zero similarities between the two except for the theme; that's like saying Castlevania did it better than Mario. No shit.

Also, learn to Bomb Squad, it'll take care of your claymore problems. After you get out of the kiddie enlisted rank matches and into 90% Prestige 2 / 3 games; you'll realize that the game becomes much less paper rock scissors and requires an ass load of teamwork and strategy, on top of reflex skill.
IF0
Administrator

Reply 10 of 63 (Originally posted on: 11-20-07 09:14:45 AM)

I'm having a good 'ole time playing the cagematch 1 on 1 online. And yes, the team hardcore is the shit.
Sunn O)))
INTL Alumni
14 year RP master

Zan-beef

Ballkicks: (+761 / -127)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
Reply 11 of 63 (Originally posted on: 11-29-07 09:36:36 AM)

I definitely like it. It's not as great - to me - as the original Call of Duty or even Call of Duty 2, but it's good (last stand is my mortal enemy, ha). I've been playing it on the Xbox, though, so I'm waiting to get it for PC.

It's a lot easier to shoot through walls then in previous CoDs, but that's to be expected with the weapons.
IF0
Administrator

Reply 12 of 63 (Originally posted on: 11-29-07 09:47:26 AM)

Rumors:

The first update for PS3 will allow split-screen multiplayer (invite a friends), new weapons, new maps, and corrections to the questionable sniper rifles. Possibly new perks as well. big grin
Sunn O)))
INTL Alumni
14 year RP master

Zan-beef

Reply 13 of 63 (Originally posted on: 11-29-07 09:49:44 AM)

Quoted from IF0:
Rumors:

The first update for PS3 will allow split-screen multiplayer (invite a friends), new weapons, new maps, and corrections to the questionable sniper rifles. Possibly new perks as well. big grin

I assume this would be the same for Xbox?
IF0
Administrator

Reply 14 of 63 (Originally posted on: 11-29-07 09:53:16 AM)

(Oh, and bots for split-screen multiplayer offline)

And I assume the same could be said for the X-Box. I just haven't read much about it specifically. I don't know if the upgrades/patches/downloads work the same way on it or not.
goatsnacks
Administrators

"When I decide to brush (maybe once a week)" -Snook, INTL's #1 Scrub

Ballkicks: (+512 / -167)
Reg. Date: Feb 2004
Reply 15 of 63 (Originally posted on: 11-29-07 12:05:49 PM)

Usually if theres a patch for an Xbox game when you put the game in (and if you're online) it will notify you via the guide and download once you give it the ok. Though I wonder if the new weapons will be free or cost MP.
"A man chooses, a slave obeys."
Sunn O)))
INTL Alumni
14 year RP master

Zan-beef

Reply 16 of 63 (Originally posted on: 11-30-07 07:00:58 PM)

I really hope they hurry up with that update.

I'm getting a little peeved at not being able to play split screen multiplayer online MAGUSMAGUSMAGUSMAGUS
IF0
Administrator

Reply 17 of 63 (Originally posted on: 11-30-07 07:50:15 PM)

They're just rumors I read about, who knows if any of those in particular will be anytime soon. Right now they're working on one (Since Nov 15) that fixes some online issues.
Quote:
The first patch will be a Optimized Connection Patch, First the troubleshooting, those of you experiencing connection issues should check your router and make sure the following ports are OPEN:

Port: 3075 UDP
3074 UDP

This is the cause of why your Xbox 360 may work online, but your PS3 would not, as the Xbox 360 uses Port: 3074 UDP which is default open for Xbox Live compatible routers, however the PS3 version is using BOTH Port: 3075 (which is default closed for the majority of routers) and 3074 which should be default open.

Please ensure your router has 3075 UDP and 3074 UDP open, information on how to open ports on your router should be found in your individual router's manual or website. This is a temporary solution, the optimized connection patch will fix this automatically once it's released.

Now for the Optimized Multiplayer updates, we've taken a lot of your community feedback and have been working on a patch for the PS3 version which we plan to release once complete, no ETA on when it will come out as it has to go through certification with Sony, however the update will address and add the following:

Optimized / Fixed Sniper Rifle hit detection / accuracy

Identify party by Background Color (in Lobby)

Optimized Server selection for first match for better connections

Improved network performance for 18 player games

Optimized 'Chase Cam' when Spectating

Fixed Playlist error when attempting to join from other games

Handle Corrupt Create A Class data instead of kicking player

Added Kill cam to Airstrike bombs and Claymores

Added the ability to Mute Players on PS3

Added Recently Met Players on PS3

Tweaked the following Oldschool Mode Settings based on feedback:
- Added Unlimited Sprint
- Increased Magazine Size
- Added Ragdoll Cam

The admin that posted that said it has already been submitted to Sony, so just depends on when it will be released (Who knows about 360, since I don't read those).

The custom stuff will probly take a bit longer, I'm sure.

EDIT: Nevermind. 360 patch is pretty much the same:
Quote:
Hey Everyone --

Wanted to give you a heads up for an update in the works for the Xbox 360 version. We're going to be optimizing a lot of things behind the scenes with matchmaking and host selection as well as adding a few new features via the update which I have outlined below. No ETA on when this update will be available for download, just giving a heads up on what's to come in the future in the first potential update:

Additions / New Features:
Added Kill cam to Airstrike bombs and Claymores

Addition of Host Migration so if Host Leaves auto-chooses next best host in Lobby

Tweaked the following Oldschool Mode settings based on feedback:
- Added Unlimited Sprint
- Increased Magazine Size
- Added Ragdoll Cam

Addition of New "N0M4D" Control Scheme

Optimizations / Tweaks:

Optimized / Fixed Hit Detection for Sniper Rifles and ACOG Scope

Identify party by background color (in Lobby)

Optimized server selection for first match for better connections

Improved network performance for 18 player games

Optimized 'Chase Cam' when Spectating

Fixed Playlist error when attempting to join from other games

Handle Corrupt Create A Class data instead of kicking player

Herminator
vervet is a dumby

Jamie Foxx kicks ass you whale fart >:(

Ballkicks: (+12 / -10)
Reg. Date: Nov 2005
Reply 18 of 63 (Originally posted on: 12-01-07 10:18:36 PM)

i just wish they would fix the damn rank save issue already(even though its only been a day)
IF0
Administrator

Reply 19 of 63 (Originally posted on: 12-07-07 04:55:22 PM)

Smokey's online with me! Get your asses in here.
IF0
Administrator

Reply 20 of 63 (Originally posted on: 12-08-07 12:07:13 PM)

Clan tag INTL. Yeah baby. big grin
Ryan
Big Sausage Pizza

From west philadelphia born and raised on the playground it's said I spent most of my days

Ballkicks: (+64 / -17)
Reg. Date: Nov 2006
Reply 21 of 63 (Originally posted on: 12-10-07 12:54:59 AM)

I guess I'll join up tomorrow. My PS3 is in a no-go zone right now as my parents are using my basement for work until the end of the week.

I WANT ON MY PLASMA!
IF0
Administrator

Reply 22 of 63 (Originally posted on: 12-19-07 07:17:36 AM)

http://www.actiontrip.com/link.phtml?http://forums.xbox.com/17291953/ShowPost.aspx

I just downloaded it, haven't played yet though.
IF0
Administrator

Reply 23 of 63 (Originally posted on: 12-19-07 12:07:49 PM)

My mistake. That's only for the 360. PS3 comes out later.
ba
INTL Premium Member
Captain of the Cool Kids

and i said, a\re you a gay ass fucker who can't take a baseball up the ass you faggot???? and he said yes........

Ballkicks: (+456 / -62)
Reg. Date: Apr 2003
Reply 24 of 63 (Originally posted on: 12-31-07 02:00:57 PM)

Oh man, I just picked it up for the 360 after x-mas, and its fantastic. It's everything I wished Halo 3 was when it first came out; of course that might just mean that my standards were set pretty low when I bought it, but at $37.99 rather than the new average of $59.99 a game, you can't beat it.

So far I've gotten up to 1st Lt. and have been been playing with the M21 Sniper Rifle mostly, even in close maps (with the ACOG Scope). I've actually gotten pretty decent at cappin homies from a distance as well as close-in and hip-firing with it which makes it like the perfect gun for me.

I think the graphics are great, but I get to play it on a 60 inch plasma in HD; which could also be why its easy to spot baddies from a distance, but whatever.

My (roommate's) tag is Your OBGYN, so add meh.

Has anyone got to play with the Berrett .50 cal?
~British[/whisper] Agent
[whisper].___.
{O,o} O RLY?
/)__)
-"-"-
Links: Penny Arcade, YTMND, Something Awful.
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 2 3 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 6190 | Total Posts: 63 ]