Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Site Comments > Archives > Archived Forums > Linux Corner: computers for something other than windows? WHAT > Unexpected Bonuses When Purchasing Computer Equipment AND see Shadowe get trolled > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest.
Page: [ 1 2 ] [ Thread Views: 3556 | Total Posts: 30 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
KaosDeath
INTL Premium Member

literally believes that communism works

Ballkicks: (+70 / -32)
Reg. Date: Aug 2006
(Originally posted on: 11-14-07 04:24:57 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

I recently purchased a 500GB external USB HDD and was looking in disk management and found there was an additional 100GB of unallocated disc space. Of course I formatted it so I could use it. Has anyone else gotten any unexpected bonuses with any computer equipment hardware or software?
σ☻├§╚
Shadowe

I kinda want to see that up someone's ass

Ballkicks: (+90 / -84)
Reg. Date: Dec 2004
Reply 1 of 30 (Originally posted on: 11-14-07 06:26:40 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

I got an 8800gts 640mb OC2 for over 100 less than even newegg has it.
Hanlon's Razor: Never assume malice when stupidity will suffice.
Nemesis
Zuri's Cat
They're ALL scientologists damn you! IT'S A CONSPIRACY!

Ballkicks: (+87 / -19)
Reg. Date: Dec 2002
Reply 2 of 30 (Originally posted on: 11-15-07 07:52:42 PM)

I got my 320MB 8800 for $150 from someone who was upgrading to the Ultra. I guess no one told him the Ultra wasn't that big of a jump for the extra like, 500 bucks. Also, not bragging, just merely pointing this out for anyone who might buy an 8800 in the near future, the 320mb actually outperforms the 640 by a fair bit. PS you'd be an idiot to buy a GTS rather than a GT at this point.
Shadowe

Reply 3 of 30 (Originally posted on: 11-16-07 02:48:07 PM)

Whoever told you that is messing with you, they're the exact same card with different amounts of vram. The 640mb outperforms the 320mb consistently because at higher resolutions, especially with AA and AF, more vram is needed and the chips tend to be binned higher.
Nemesis
Zuri's Cat

Reply 4 of 30 (Originally posted on: 11-16-07 04:19:03 PM)

And yet evidence would suggest otherwise. That is if you play games at less than a 24" monitor and 4x AA, which most people don't. As such, as far as most people are concerned (or just me, doesn't really matter, always look out for #1), the 320mb is a better buy.
pl0x

now you're redundant if you say anything

Ballkicks: (+29 / -16)
Reg. Date: Jan 2007
Reply 5 of 30 (Originally posted on: 11-21-07 01:13:16 PM)

hah! another shadowe and nemesis argument.

Eh, it doesn't really fit your question, but a BestBuy pricing error gave me a 4gig SD card for $10 once.
ben is a golden sex god ohmygodilovehim BONE BONE BONE
Shadowe

Reply 6 of 30 (Originally posted on: 11-21-07 03:10:30 PM)

less than 10fps at a resolution I've never even heard of is not what I would call outperforming by a "fair bit", it's a small enough difference that I'd chalk it up to a case temperature difference.

Look at the overall FPS, the 640mb beats the 320mb 1881 to 1828. Aside from the extra vram making a huge difference at higher resolutions and where extra data is stored (HDR, AA, AF) the chips are also generally binned higher. The difference in performance is already quite large right now and it's only going to get bigger as time goes on.

It's still pointless though because the 8800GT is probably going to settle somewhere around ~$220 to $250 once the "OMG NEW VIDEOCARD" price gouging ends and that little bastard very nearly outdoes the 8800gtx.
FISHMANPET

Fishmanpet, son of Manbearpig and Girlfishpet

Ballkicks: (+102 / -63)
Reg. Date: May 2002
Reply 7 of 30 (Originally posted on: 11-21-07 04:44:27 PM)

The 8800gt is gonna kick everyone's ass. I'm so excited. Two 8800GTs in SLI beats the 8800GTX Ultra, and is cheaper to boot!
the best thing about high school girls... every year im a little older, but every year they stay the same age. - NNY
Get the sand out of your vagina man. - Wild Bill
When Soccy talks about Star Trek, it's cute. For you, it just makes me picture you in an elaborate suit with a plastic "phaser" propositioning young girls at phaser-point. - Dani
What a bunch of idiots Andy. One day, you'll be their boss. - JamesMartigo
FMP writes erotic stories better than anyone else I know. - Socrateius
Snook
INTL Premium Member

enlightening 6 year olds on the horrors of war

Ballkicks: (+247 / -65)
Reg. Date: Jun 2003
Reply 8 of 30 (Originally posted on: 11-21-07 05:55:28 PM)

This thread is making me depressed. Damned pace of change...
Hello my name is Kristoffer Jørgensen and I am from Norweigen I come to see hot USA girls and history landmarks!!
Shadowe

Reply 9 of 30 (Originally posted on: 11-21-07 07:42:41 PM)

Quoted from FISHMANPET:
The 8800gt is gonna kick everyone's ass. I'm so excited. Two 8800GTs in SLI beats the 8800GTX Ultra, and is cheaper to boot!

Not after you factor in the cost of the 680i mobo and SLI capable PSU.
Nemesis
Zuri's Cat

Reply 10 of 30 (Originally posted on: 11-21-07 08:45:54 PM)

Wait...why do you have to have a 680i motherboard? I'm pretty sure any SLI board will handle it, and with the power consumption rates of the 8800gt as low as they are, a 500w with 2 12v rails should be sufficient, but at the end of the day I guess you're still looking at a bit more than a 8800 ultra.
pl0x

now you're redundant if you say anything

Ballkicks: (+29 / -16)
Reg. Date: Jan 2007
Reply 11 of 30 (Originally posted on: 11-21-07 09:35:31 PM)

I also got an extra chicken nuggget at lunch once. What a day!
ben is a golden sex god ohmygodilovehim BONE BONE BONE
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

gotta get that VICTORY ROYALE #gamer #memes #LoL

Ballkicks: (+1782 / -130)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
Reply 12 of 30 (Originally posted on: 11-22-07 01:08:10 AM)

Quoted from Shadowe:
less than 10fps at a resolution I've never even heard of is not what I would call outperforming by a "fair bit", it's a small enough difference that I'd chalk it up to a case temperature difference.

Look at the overall FPS, the 640mb beats the 320mb 1881 to 1828. Aside from the extra vram making a huge difference at higher resolutions and where extra data is stored (HDR, AA, AF) the chips are also generally binned higher. The difference in performance is already quite large right now and it's only going to get bigger as time goes on.

It's still pointless though because the 8800GT is probably going to settle somewhere around ~\$220 to \$250 once the "OMG NEW VIDEOCARD" price gouging ends and that little bastard very nearly outdoes the 8800gtx.

I fucking hate people like you, who think that virtual memory is the be-all end-all of modern video cards. Why do you think they call it virtual memory? Because it's not real. Just look at the calendar, man -- it's not 2004! Also with the introduction of DX10 the appreciation factor on these video cards is vanishingly small (and smaller with every release), so I don't understand how you could possibly justify that statement either. Game companies will be game companies, but that's no basis to conclude that the cards are artificially limited.
Shadowe

Reply 13 of 30 (Originally posted on: 11-22-07 09:45:45 AM)

Quoted from Nemesis:
Wait...why do you have to have a 680i motherboard? I'm pretty sure any SLI board will handle it, and with the power consumption rates of the 8800gt as low as they are, a 500w with 2 12v rails should be sufficient, but at the end of the day I guess you're still looking at a bit more than a 8800 ultra.

Nvidia's not letting anybody elses chipsets use SLI, I think I read somewhere that intel licensed the hardware so they could do it with one of the newer ones but as far as I know right now 680i is the only chipset to support full x16-x16 SLI.

[edit]

Make that a 700 series board, since apparently nvidia doesn't want the 45nms to run on the 600 series for whatever reason.
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=536089
This reply was last edited on 11-22-07 12:15:56 PM by Shadowe.
Nemesis
Zuri's Cat

Reply 14 of 30 (Originally posted on: 11-22-07 11:12:19 PM)

What about AMD SLI chipsets? last I checked the M2N-32SLI Deluxe and the A8N-32SLI Deluxe both ran 16x PCI-Ex2 like a champ. Same with the 650i chipsets (The budget Intel 775 board for those of you who aren't fuckasses that spend 300 bucks on a motherboard.)
Shadowe

Reply 15 of 30 (Originally posted on: 11-22-07 11:25:35 PM)

It's not a 680i but it's still an nvidia chipset (nforce 590).
Nemesis
Zuri's Cat

Reply 16 of 30 (Originally posted on: 11-23-07 12:10:38 AM)

Being that SLI is an Nvidia thing I don't think anyone but you is suprised that it's only supported by Nvidia chipsets, But thank you for making my point, all I was looking for really.
Ryan
Big Sausage Pizza

From west philadelphia born and raised on the playground it's said I spent most of my days

Ballkicks: (+64 / -17)
Reg. Date: Nov 2006
Reply 17 of 30 (Originally posted on: 11-23-07 03:58:32 AM)

Wow, arguing on the internet about motherboard specs. You'll go far.
Shadowe

Reply 18 of 30 (Originally posted on: 11-23-07 10:08:37 AM)

Quoted from Nemesis:
Being that SLI is an Nvidia thing I don't think anyone but you is suprised that it's only supported by Nvidia chipsets, But thank you for making my point, all I was looking for really.

I did say that as far as I had seen the 680i was the only x16-x16. I'm glad there are others out there, means I have something else to suggest to people who want to do SLI with older cards on a cheaper mobo.
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

Reply 19 of 30 (Originally posted on: 11-25-07 02:27:54 PM)

so you just give me negative karma and don't respond to my argument? Look, have you ever heard of not shooting the messenger?

I'm obviously right, it's plain for everyone too see on the specs: the virtual memory on the 660's chipset cannot support the double-bypass requested by DX10, hence the inferiority. It tests well because of its real memory reserves and the bandwidth the massive amounts of functional RAM-space that that allows it to have
Snook
INTL Premium Member

enlightening 6 year olds on the horrors of war

Ballkicks: (+247 / -65)
Reg. Date: Jun 2003
Reply 20 of 30 (Originally posted on: 11-25-07 02:46:04 PM)

Quoted from Purple:
Wow, arguing on the internet about motherboard specs. You'll go far.

It's like they're speaking a whole other language.

I just want something that'll play Oblivion. I don't care if it has ZOMG 660i XTR SUPER DELUXE EXTRA VRAM which lets me play with sextuple AA buffering and pixel-bump shading.
Hello my name is Kristoffer Jørgensen and I am from Norweigen I come to see hot USA girls and history landmarks!!
Shadowe

Reply 21 of 30 (Originally posted on: 11-25-07 08:58:17 PM)

Quoted from ice:
so you just give me negative karma and don't respond to my argument? Look, have you ever heard of not shooting the messenger?

I'm obviously right, it's plain for everyone too see on the specs: the virtual memory on the 660's chipset cannot support the double-bypass requested by DX10, hence the inferiority. It tests well because of its real memory reserves and the bandwidth the massive amounts of functional RAM-space that that allows it to have

I was thinking about going to great lengths to bring tons of evidence of why that makes about as much sense as saying it's faster because it uses non-hertzian frequencies but then I figured I should share the joy and laughter your posts have given me with all of OCforums.

Out 75,000+ members, about 300 or so of which are logged in at any given time, statistically at least one of them is bound to agree with you if what you say has any merit at all.

[edit]
and if not there then maybe someone on [H]ardforum will have something to say.
This reply was last edited on 11-25-07 11:36:03 PM by Shadowe.
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

Reply 22 of 30 (Originally posted on: 11-27-07 03:48:54 AM)

you think I'm going take advice a bunch of idiots on some unknown internet website? Who's even heard of [Hard]wares or whatever the fuck website you're talking about?

If you're not going to respond to my argument directly, fine, but don't go running to your little friends so they can make up a story to back you up. Seriously, the 320 is faster because it uses a much more uncomplicated chipset, the smaller size and smaller power use reduces heat generation (and increases loss in case that wasn't obvious, it probably wasn't to you) and that as we all know increases speed exponentially. It's in the laws of physics. I'll spell it out for you: the less-cluttered nature of the the board causes less electrical and radio interference generation (as well as the aforementioned heat). When these obvious benefits are combined with the more efficient drivers (they have to handle half as many bits, so they're more efficient and easier for the computer to handle), it should be clear to anyone that it is a superior card.

Also I read that thing about non-hertzian frequencies, and you obviously don't know anything, because that has nothing to do with video cards at all
Shadowe

Reply 23 of 30 (Originally posted on: 11-27-07 12:53:20 PM)

The 320mb and 640mb GTS are the exact same card, they're both G80 cores, they have the same hardware down to the heatsink. The only difference is that the 320mb has less physical memory. There's no other difference between them, even the PCBs are the same.

Virtual memory, double bypass, EM interference, drivers that have to handle half as many bits being more efficient? I can't respond to your argument directly because you don't have an argument. All you've done is throw out a bunch of technical sounding bullshit that doesn't exist and insult me.

And good for you for reading the link I put in there, now if you read the post you'd know why it was there in the first place instead of embarassing yourself by bragging about how dumb I am because it has nothing to do with videocards when I never said it did to begin with.

Frequencies are measured in hertz, therefore the phrase non-hertzian frequency is meaningless technobabble. The same sort of nonexistent technology that you've been going on about for 3 posts now but have absolutely no proof if it's existence.

Now, let's take apart your argument piece by piece since you refuse to accept anything the "bunch of idiots" on the single largest technical community online says. I don't know why I'm bothering with this since you'll probably just insult me again and say you're right anyway and the rest of the world is wrong but at least everyone ELSE will learn something.

Virtual memory. Real, but has nothing to do with what you're talking about. It's a method of managing data and RAM space, not an actual thing that can be had on a videocard.

Double Bypass. Doesn't exist, google for double bypass as it relates to directx10 and you get some results for the heart surgery but nothing else.

660 chipset. Yet again something that doesn't exist. There's a 6600 videocard from nvidia but that's bloody old, and I'm betting you aren't referring to the shitty onboard SiS 660 graphics set either.

The cards are different you say? utter bullshit as well. The only thing that's clear to anyone is that the videocards are identical in all but the amount of ram on each and you're making this up as you go along.

The truth gives a limitless supply of evidence which I can link to, you on the other hand will eventually run out of insults and random technical sounding phrases to pad your posts with.

Just give up man, you can't keep lying forever. Eventually you'll need to either abuse your admin powers to shut me up or admit you're wrong and you, or someone who was lying to you, made all of this up.
This reply was last edited on 11-27-07 01:04:18 PM by Shadowe.
wheezy
The Reel RS Krew
Lord Handsome

The next time you wanna call a coon a nigger, call that spearchucker a jungle bunny instead. I know, I know... nigger rolls off the tongue so easy, but there is a world of rarely used racial slurs that we need to start utilizing. White power!

Ballkicks: (+527 / -190)
Reg. Date: Dec 2001
Reply 24 of 30 (Originally posted on: 11-27-07 01:21:59 PM)

Sooo.....uh....

Anyway.

I never really got any free bonuses. Maybe I did, but I didn't really investigate too much. I just wish I knew how to put my old HDD in my new computer. Maybe I'll make a thread about it sometime.
U CANT TRICK THE TRICKSTER

Moderator of the Proud Inside Discussions Forum.
www.uselessstatic.com
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 2 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 3556 | Total Posts: 30 ]