Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Site Comments > Archives > Archived Forums > Linux Corner: computers for something other than windows? WHAT > c plus plus (shouldn't that mean the more fun) > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest.
Page: [ 1 2 ] [ Thread Views: 3919 | Total Posts: 31 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
pl0x

now you're redundant if you say anything

Ballkicks: (+29 / -16)
Reg. Date: Jan 2007
(Originally posted on: 09-11-07 03:51:24 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

Okay, long story short, I'm taking an independent study of computer science in my school.
i have to look at really confusing TEKS (requirements to get credit for the class) and i need to make a contract this friday at the latest, that at the end of the year determines if i get credit for the class.

I'm going to learn c++ (and something else if i have time) but, my main objective is to make something in the language.

what exactly, can you make in c++ that will demonstrate i am relatively fluent in the language?

I'm absolutely clueless as to how to attack this.
I know, great way to start learning something completely new.
sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo good ;D
Shadowe

I kinda want to see that up someone's ass

Ballkicks: (+90 / -84)
Reg. Date: Dec 2004
Reply 1 of 31 (Originally posted on: 09-11-07 05:24:44 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

Most mods are made with it I think. So you could theoretically do something impressive like implement soft particles or multiple gravity fields into a game that normally doesn't have it.

All depends on what you're best at. and what would bullshit the grader the most. If they like visuals go for soft particles and relief mapping or something similar.
If there's something wrong, those who have the ability to take action have the responsibility to take action.
antpocas
"Sex is not dating."
"If it were, Santana and I would be dating.

GLEEK

Ballkicks: (+414 / -233)
Reg. Date: May 2002
Reply 2 of 31 (Originally posted on: 09-12-07 08:55:11 AM)

There are lots of impressive things you can do with C++, none of which you will be able to learn how to do in one year, unless you already know how to program well, and understand what goes on in the machine when your software is running.

What I'd consider very impressive for someone who learnt the language less than one year ago is a simple 3D engine (one you made yourself, not cobbled from other people's code samples), a ray casting engine, an emulator of a simple system or a simple chess AI. These are all quite complex and you probably won't be able to accomplish them in one year unless you already know how to program.
pl0x

Reply 3 of 31 (Originally posted on: 09-12-07 08:36:08 PM)

well, thank you guys. some good ideas. Don't worry, i'm not a script kiddie.

I have to scratch this entire thread practically. The school doesn't have any books at all, except for java.
I hate java, but it's what i have to do....

For the final project, i was thinking...to make some type of interaction (one of the 14 books or so i get to read, shows me how to make tetris!) and put it on my site thingy.

Bleh, the only good thing I see about this is, I think it'll be much easier to learn then c++ or c.
Shadowe

Reply 4 of 31 (Originally posted on: 09-13-07 09:10:05 PM)

Well, C is a bad place to start coding anyway. It's sortof like learning how to pick up dates by going to a leper colony.
If there's something wrong, those who have the ability to take action have the responsibility to take action.
antpocas
"Sex is not dating."

GLEEK

Reply 5 of 31 (Originally posted on: 09-14-07 02:27:13 AM)

Quoted from Shadowe:
Well, C is a bad place to start coding anyway. It's sortof like learning how to pick up dates by going to a leper colony.
No, it's not. C is a great place to start programming, especially if you start with the K&R book.

read dis shit
Shadowe

Reply 6 of 31 (Originally posted on: 09-14-07 02:38:47 AM)

The whole article is a giant circle of logic and ad hominem. Java sucks because C was better because it was harder than Java which is why Java sucks, they're all wimps. Repeat.

Maybe there's something resembling a valid argument in there but I wouldn't know, not being a coder. All I know is that some of the best coders for Half-Life told me in 2002 that learning to code by starting with C will teach me nothing but bad habits and starting with C++ will be like trying to learn how to french kiss at a leper colony. Even if you win, you're likely to come away from the encounter with some extra baggage you really don't want.
This reply was last edited on 09-14-07 03:08:17 AM by Shadowe.
antpocas
"Sex is not dating."

GLEEK

Reply 7 of 31 (Originally posted on: 09-14-07 06:22:28 AM)

Quoted from Shadowe:
The whole article is a giant circle of logic and ad hominem. Java sucks because C was better because it was harder than Java which is why Java sucks, they're all wimps. Repeat.

Maybe there's something resembling a valid argument in there but I wouldn't know, not being a coder. All I know is that some of the best coders for Half-Life told me in 2002 that learning to code by starting with C will teach me nothing but bad habits and starting with C++ will be like trying to learn how to french kiss at a leper colony. Even if you win, you're likely to come away from the encounter with some extra baggage you really don't want.
The point of the article is that the way programming is taught nowadays dumbs it down. That means that when someone that learned how to program from a "Java School" comes across a problem that would be better solved with a clever algorithm that involves pointers or recursion, they'll stumble and make an inneficient solution. I'm going to guess that those coders also told you to start with PHP (and if they did they deserve to be prohibited from programming ever again).
FISHMANPET

Fishmanpet, son of Manbearpig and Girlfishpet

Ballkicks: (+102 / -63)
Reply 8 of 31 (Originally posted on: 09-14-07 08:35:55 AM)

Yeah, I understood that whole article. Also, at the University of Minnesota, where I go, the intro CS class (1901) uses that MIT Scheme book that was linked on that page. I've also taken introductory programing classes at another school taught in Java. At the Java school we actually did a lot of recursion, including Quick sort. But it was also taught by a guy who didn't know any C/C++ (he couldn't answer questions from C programmers like "is x in Java like y in C?"). But he also said scheme was his favorite language...

So WTF?
the best thing about high school girls... every year im a little older, but every year they stay the same age. - NNY
Get the sand out of your vagina man. - Wild Bill
When Soccy talks about Star Trek, it's cute. For you, it just makes me picture you in an elaborate suit with a plastic "phaser" propositioning young girls at phaser-point. - Dani
What a bunch of idiots Andy. One day, you'll be their boss. - JamesMartigo
FMP writes erotic stories better than anyone else I know. - Socrateius
Shadowe

Reply 9 of 31 (Originally posted on: 09-14-07 06:57:11 PM)

Actually I was told to start with something simple like Basic and if coding doesn't make me hide under the table and hiss at people's legs to move on up to C++ through a few other languages.
There is no improper place, no unacceptable time to confront such a cancer. To stand quietly for any excuse is to invite all of man to fall beyond recovery. For every soul which is laid bare to the lash of hatred and by every fellow consumed by it's rot a part of us is lost forever.
antpocas
"Sex is not dating."

GLEEK

Reply 10 of 31 (Originally posted on: 09-14-07 11:01:35 PM)

Quoted from Shadowe:
Actually I was told to start with something simple like Basic and if coding doesn't make me hide under the table and hiss at people's legs to move on up to C++ through a few other languages.
starting with basic is quite possibly the worst thing you can do ever

i'm not kidding either, it's the equivalent of voting ron paul
Shadowe

Reply 11 of 31 (Originally posted on: 09-15-07 06:21:38 AM)

Well considering I'm in a completely different field and avoiding coding as much as possible I think I don't need to worry much.
There is no improper place or unacceptable time to confront such a cancer, to stand quietly for any excuse is to invite all of man to fall beyond recovery. For every soul which is laid bare to the lash of hatred and by every fellow consumed by it's rot a part of us is lost forever.
pl0x

Reply 12 of 31 (Originally posted on: 09-15-07 02:12:17 PM)

while everyone has an opinion on where to start first...the fact is I have to learn this all on my own.
(have no doubt "all on my own" means occasionally begging for help here)

And, I'm poor (that does not mean I'm cheap...), and the school has tons of books on Java. so I'm stuck with that.
wheezy
The Reel RS Krew
Lord Handsome

The next time you wanna call a coon a nigger, call that spearchucker a jungle bunny instead. I know, I know... nigger rolls off the tongue so easy, but there is a world of rarely used racial slurs that we need to start utilizing. White power!

Ballkicks: (+527 / -190)
Reg. Date: Dec 2001
Reply 13 of 31 (Originally posted on: 09-16-07 05:26:02 PM)

I just really need to say that I really really fucking hate pointers. Man.
U CANT TRICK THE TRICKSTER

Moderator of the Proud Inside Discussions Forum.
www.uselessstatic.com
FISHMANPET

Reply 14 of 31 (Originally posted on: 09-16-07 11:27:08 PM)

C++ makes me wet in the pants because though it by default does pass by value, if you put a & on the end (myvar&) it does pass by reference. YAY. No more pointers in my C++ code ever again.

Also, I'm a CS major, but I'm not going into any programing field, so I don't care that I won't be able to describe complex algorithms to impress interviewers.
the best thing about high school girls... every year im a little older, but every year they stay the same age. - NNY
When Soccy talks about Star Trek, it's cute. For you, it just makes me picture you in an elaborate suit with a plastic "phaser" propositioning young girls at phaser-point. - Dani
Jesuß
INTL Premium Member
Healing America by Beating People Up

It's "erroneous," you uptight fairy.

Ballkicks: (+137 / -34)
Reg. Date: Dec 2002
Reply 15 of 31 (Originally posted on: 09-22-07 11:30:09 PM)

Quoted from FISHMANPET:
YAY. No more pointers in my C++ code ever again.

Until, you know, you need a program that takes console arguments.

int main (int argc, char** argv){...

Or you need to do something with a linked list... or...
Shadowe

Reply 16 of 31 (Originally posted on: 09-23-07 03:35:43 AM)

Pointless and somewhat offtopic but I just realised how much watching you people talk about coding reminds me of having a friend that speaks another language.

"Bardia"
"What?"
"Shahalagbadad SAREEMBEEDOOL!"
"Wtf?"
"Did I say anything in persian?"
There is no improper place or unacceptable time to confront such a cancer, to stand quietly for any excuse is to invite all of man to fall beyond recovery. For every soul which is laid bare to the lash of hatred, for every fellow consumed by it's rot, a part of us is lost forever.
FISHMANPET

Reply 17 of 31 (Originally posted on: 09-23-07 03:05:57 PM)

Quoted from Jesuß:
Quoted from FISHMANPET:
YAY. No more pointers in my C++ code ever again.

Until, you know, you need a program that takes console arguments.

int main (int argc, char** argv){...

Or you need to do something with a linked list... or...

I can pretty easily throw argv into string array I'm sure, and I managed to implement a linked list just fine in Java with pass by reference, so I should have no problem in C++. With pass by reference, the only thing you really need pointers for is pointer arithmetic to jump through arrays, but compilers are so good these days that such things are hardly necessary.
Jesuß
INTL Premium Member

Reply 18 of 31 (Originally posted on: 09-23-07 09:19:05 PM)

Quoted from FISHMANPET:
I can pretty easily throw argv into string array

But... in C and C++ a char[] *is* a pointer.

Also, I never thought of doing a linked list with pass by reference, but I suppose it would work.

What about dynamic memory allocation? I'm pretty sure you'd still need to use pointers there.

int* foo = new int ...
FISHMANPET

Reply 19 of 31 (Originally posted on: 09-26-07 12:03:19 AM)

Since argv is a string of char pointers (each pointing to the begging of a char array) I should be able to turn that into an array of strings.

Pass by reference is very powerful. It's what makes Java make the world go 'round.

And if I make an object instead of a struct, I shouldn't have any need to allocate memory (MALLOC MUST DIE!). At least I don't think so, haven't done too much with C++ yet.
Jesuß
INTL Premium Member

Reply 20 of 31 (Originally posted on: 10-05-07 06:47:49 AM)

malloc tends to be replaced by new, and free by delete.

someObject* myObject;
myObject = new someObject;

delete myObject;

Besides, you can't actually perform any operations on references once they're created, so if you need to use pointers for polymorphic code, you're out of luck (you wouldn't be able to cast it to the correct type).

I've also never seen anyone pass a function by reference, whereas you could pass a function pointer (although I don't know if this means its not possible).
FISHMANPET

Reply 21 of 31 (Originally posted on: 10-05-07 09:09:15 AM)

I've learned I'd just much rather use python. Python is now my most favorite of languages.
Jesuß
INTL Premium Member

Reply 22 of 31 (Originally posted on: 10-05-07 07:29:38 PM)

Python is very nice.

Unfortunately, when performance matters, you're still going to be stuck with a lower level language.
Air Bud
Internet Superstar

Some plants even masturbate into their own vaginas in order to reproduce.

Ballkicks: (+918 / -56)
Reg. Date: Sep 2001
Reply 23 of 31 (Originally posted on: 10-05-07 08:18:37 PM)

I kinda know how to code. Just kinda. I've written a few programs before. Just a few. No big deal.

Anyway, I read that article above and I completely agree with him. I don't profess to be some expert or MIT 6.001 master, but I know a thing or two about coding and it saddens me when I sit in my Java class at school. There are so many people in the class that just don't know what they're talking about, but try to pass themselves off as incredibly amazing programmers, because they wrote their blog in PHP and have Redhat on their laptop.

I sit in my class and listen to these kids, kids who I'm going to end up competing against in the job market when I get out of college, brag about how awesome they are at programming, then in the same breath, complain about how the exam was "bullshit" and "too hard" because they had to manually write code without the use of a text editor. Just really pisses me off, because it just shows me that these people don't really belong in the CS field to begin with. Maybe I'm just elitist though.

I know this is a C/C++ thread, but this is as good a place as any to post this, if anyone wants to check it out, since I will probably never continue development of this code, so here it is, the infamous INTL v4 code. Without a database to complement it, it really can't do much but sit there and look pretty, but feel free to use it for whatever you want.
antpocas
"Sex is not dating."

GLEEK

Reply 24 of 31 (Originally posted on: 10-05-07 09:10:30 PM)

Quoted from Sandamnit:

I sit in my class and listen to these kids, kids who I'm going to end up competing against in the job market when I get out of college, brag about how awesome they are at programming, then in the same breath, complain about how the exam was "bullshit" and "too hard" because they had to manually write code without the use of a text editor. Just really pisses me off, because it just shows me that these people don't really belong in the CS field to begin with. Maybe I'm just elitist though.
HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO KNOW IF MY CODE WORKS WITHOUT A COMPILER AND A DEBUGGER JEEZ
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 2 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 3919 | Total Posts: 31 ]