Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Site Comments > Archives > Archived Forums > Linux Corner: computers for something other than windows? WHAT > Bioshock > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest.
Page: [ 1 2 3 ] [ Thread Views: 5872 | Total Posts: 53 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
Nemesis
Zuri's Cat
They're ALL scientologists damn you! IT'S A CONSPIRACY!

Ballkicks: (+87 / -19)
Reg. Date: Dec 2002
(Originally posted on: 08-22-07 09:02:49 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

My roomate picked up Bioshock this afternoon, being one of the most anticipated games for the next gen systems this year I expected a lot from it. In fact, I was actually excited to come home from work and play it. Powered up the 360 when I got home, great, it's already in the system, let's start a new game. Difficulty, we'll go moderate, so far so good. The game opens up with a plane crash from which you're the sole survivor. A plane crash in the middle of the ocean. And there's a lighthouse. Let's not forget to mention that the game's done in the Unreal engine, so it looks fucking phenomenal on my high def DLP. First combat scene, opens with a bit of a cut scene and all is well, until you try to change to your plasmid (basically magic weapon) with the Y button, which in this game turns out to be jump. Despite being change weapon in every other game Y is fucking jump. Cool, adapt and move on. But wait, to use your plasmid you have to hit left trigger, despite not being able to use a gun, which fires like a normal game weapon with the L button. GOD FORBID YOU TRY TO FIRE YOUR PLASMID WITH YOUR RIGHT HAND BECAUSE THAT SHIT JUST WON'T FLY. Oh no, instead of shooting, it changes your weapon back to the pistol you didn't want to use. But wait, there's more. There's a bonus prize. You can't remap the control scheme on the X-box. All I have to say about that is I'm glad I didn't pay 50 bucks for it and I probably won't be playing it again. So now I'm sad and probably going back to playing WoW.
wheezy
The Reel RS Krew
Lord Handsome

The next time you wanna call a coon a nigger, call that spearchucker a jungle bunny instead. I know, I know... nigger rolls off the tongue so easy, but there is a world of rarely used racial slurs that we need to start utilizing. White power!

Ballkicks: (+527 / -190)
Reg. Date: Dec 2001
Reply 1 of 53 (Originally posted on: 08-22-07 11:42:23 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

Oh so the huuuuge problem with this game that makes it so unplayable and a giant letdown is because the controls aren't what you're used to? Good thing you never were big into Goldeneye, or else you would never play any FPS's.
U CANT TRICK THE TRICKSTER

Moderator of the Proud Inside Discussions Forum.
www.uselessstatic.com
Shadowe

I kinda want to see that up someone's ass

Ballkicks: (+90 / -84)
Reg. Date: Dec 2004
Reply 2 of 53 (Originally posted on: 08-23-07 12:16:55 AM)

Now you know how PC gamers feel when they play every goddamn console port ever made.
If there's something wrong, those who have the ability to take action have the responsibility to take action.
Nemesis
Zuri's Cat

Reply 3 of 53 (Originally posted on: 08-23-07 12:52:17 AM)

No, my gripe about it is that you can't remap the controls. I'd be absolutely A+ supercool OK with the game if the right trigger was always the shoot button, but it changes depending on what kind of weapon you're using. It's not like Halo 2 where the left trigger controls one gun and your right trigger controls your other, because you only have one out at a time there's no reason to use the left trigger at all. I can think of a perfectly good use for the left trigger, like refilling your magic, but instead you have to have your magic weapon out to reload it even though it has an energy bar. Basically, it's like having 2 triggers in goldeneye instead of one and using one to shoot a P90 and another to shoot a PPK, but if you press the wrong trigger it switches the weapon and doesn't fire. It's fucking retarded, and for me, renders the game practically unplayable when combined with the "can't fucking change this, because this is how we designed it." To aknowledge your point Shadowe, I won't even play Halo on a PC. There's a reason that I crank the xbox controller up to max sensativity and can play it on the hardest setting while my roomates get smoked by shit on easy because they react too slowly in every shooter that comes out.
Snook
INTL Premium Member

enlightening 6 year olds on the horrors of war

Ballkicks: (+247 / -65)
Reg. Date: Jun 2003
Reply 4 of 53 (Originally posted on: 08-23-07 08:44:46 AM)

Adapt or go extinct.

And Oblivion has Y mapped as Jump.

I've got high expectations for this game, and Iw as hoping for a constructive review... Oh well, my roommates are planning on getting it, so I'll try it out for myself.
Hello my name is Kristoffer Jørgensen and I am from Norweigen I come to see hot USA girls and history landmarks!!
Nemesis
Zuri's Cat

Reply 5 of 53 (Originally posted on: 08-23-07 01:09:30 PM)

It's a really good game from what I can tell from watching my roomates play it, the story is good and the graphics are what you'd expect with an Unreal engine, I just can't deal with the fact that there's 2 different shoot buttons depending on which type of weapon you're using. Really the jump button didn't bother me too much, as it makes sense not to use the Y button for change weapons being that there's 2 different sets. Overall I have to say it looks like it'd be more fun on the PC (keymapping)for me, but I enjoy watching my room mates get murdered by a big robot.
mmac
INTL Premium Member
it's INTL, not the fucking UN - Amphy

3ms will rise again

Ballkicks: (+254 / -35)
Reg. Date: Feb 2005
Reply 6 of 53 (Originally posted on: 08-24-07 12:42:32 AM)

And with bioshock comes the slew of people coming in for new video cards. And with that comes the people bitching about that nvidia 8800 not working with their 300 watt PSUs.

*joy*
An atom walks into a bar looking very depressed.
Bartender: What's wrong?
Atom: I've just lost an electron.
Bartender: Are you sure?
Atom: Yeah, I'm positive.
Shadowe

Reply 7 of 53 (Originally posted on: 08-24-07 01:54:41 AM)

Surprisingly it's usually the people with absurdly high wattage PSU's that I wind up dealing with. People think "Hay, 850 watts should work" and don't bother checking to make sure the 12v rails deliver enough amps.
If there's something wrong, those who have the ability to take action have the responsibility to take action.
Ryan
Big Sausage Pizza

From west philadelphia born and raised on the playground it's said I spent most of my days

Ballkicks: (+64 / -17)
Reg. Date: Nov 2006
Reply 8 of 53 (Originally posted on: 08-24-07 02:23:29 AM)

I've got no gripes with this game, it's excellent so far.
mmac
INTL Premium Member

3ms will rise again

Reply 9 of 53 (Originally posted on: 08-24-07 11:06:05 AM)

OMFG I was stopping in at work to pick up my check, and a customer was yelling at one of the other agents because he needed to upgrade his power supply, and that mean "I can't believe you charged me $400 dollars for a fucking piece of shit"

Sure, it is a new computer, but it's $400. I almost wanted to go up and tell them, well you bought the cheapest one, even if you put a new graphics card it's still a piece of shit.

I mean come on it's a pentium 4 for fucks sake.
Shadowe

Reply 10 of 53 (Originally posted on: 08-24-07 01:57:28 PM)

Depends on which p4 and what they do with it. my prescott easily holds its own in even supreme commander but a northwood, unless overclocked to hell and back, will cry in half-life2.
Ryan
Big Sausage Pizza

From west philadelphia born and raised on the playground it's said I spent most of my days

Reply 11 of 53 (Originally posted on: 08-25-07 12:44:43 AM)

When my parents bought their Compaq desktop (we are talking before the HP merger, etc) it had a 185W power supply. Since my PSU died, I have successfully been running 3 hard drives, a decent video card, a DVD-RW drive and a CD-RW drive as well as several lights and 4 fans. The only thing that's ever happened is the hard drive has bottomed out when it's under a lot of stress. I'm kind of worried about leaving it in this setup for too long, but it still works somehow.
Shadowe

Reply 12 of 53 (Originally posted on: 08-25-07 05:24:25 AM)

*Sigh*
Why would a demo need securom?

http://www.gamingbob.com/2007/08/23/bioshock-installs-rootkit-including-demo/
This reply was last edited on 08-25-07 05:39:35 AM by Shadowe.
antpocas
"Sex is not dating."
"If it were, Santana and I would be dating.

GLEEK

Ballkicks: (+414 / -233)
Reg. Date: May 2002
Reply 13 of 53 (Originally posted on: 08-25-07 04:55:09 PM)

Quoted from Shadowe:
*Sigh*
Why would a demo need securom?

http://www.gamingbob.com/2007/08/23/bioshock-installs-rootkit-including-demo/

So crackers can't crack the retail copy with help from the demo executable? And bioshock-installs-rootkit-including-demo? Talk about sensationalism. Wow.
emtilt

the cow of horses

Ballkicks: (+486 / -41)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
Reply 14 of 53 (Originally posted on: 08-26-07 09:30:58 AM)

While the whole OH GOD ITS A ROOTKIT thing is kinda ridiculous, the DRM on this game is still too much for my tastes. I personally don't want to buy a game that has to check in with the company's server before it'll let me play it for no reason other than DRM.
this is my music i hope you like it
this is music i listen to these are movies i like
mmac
INTL Premium Member

3ms will rise again

Reply 15 of 53 (Originally posted on: 08-26-07 10:19:37 AM)

Can you install the game if you don't have an internet connection?
Ryan
Big Sausage Pizza

Reply 16 of 53 (Originally posted on: 08-26-07 12:52:35 PM)

I'd assume you can considering it's only a single player game. I have it for 360 though, so no idea about the pc version.
Fisher
INTL Premium Member
jhsdfi;loiha

Fishdick

Ballkicks: (+439 / -139)
Reg. Date: Jun 2002
Reply 17 of 53 (Originally posted on: 08-26-07 03:56:36 PM)

I don't know what the hell you're on' but the control scheme is pretty flawless. Left trigger is your left hand; right trigger is your right hand.

OH SHIT.
emtilt

the cow of horses

Ballkicks: (+486 / -41)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
Reply 18 of 53 (Originally posted on: 08-26-07 04:09:58 PM)

Quoted from mmac:

No. An internet connection is required because they have to activate the game each time you install it on a computer because there is a limited number of installs allowed per purchased game. So you cannot simply buy the game and play it on a non-internet connected machine solely due to the DRM. At the time of its midnight release, the company's servers were down, so people who bought could not immediately play it. Granted, that was only a couple hours. But are their servers going to be up if I want to install it and play ten years from now? Hell, if I had gone through 5 computers in those ten years, I might not even be allowed to install it on my new machine even if those servers were still up. If I spend that much on a game, I should at the very least be able to install it when and where I want. Note that I'm only referring to how the DRM affects the ways I can legally use the game; I'm not talking about installing it on friends computers or the like, only on my own.

I wouldn't even consider buy a game with DRM this restrictive.
this is my music i hope you like it
this is music i listen to these are movies i like
Ryan
Big Sausage Pizza

Reply 19 of 53 (Originally posted on: 08-26-07 10:22:20 PM)

Quoted from emtilt:
Quoted from mmac:

No. An internet connection is required because they have to activate the game each time you install it on a computer because there is a limited number of installs allowed per purchased game. So you cannot simply buy the game and play it on a non-internet connected machine solely due to the DRM. At the time of its midnight release, the company's servers were down, so people who bought could not immediately play it. Granted, that was only a couple hours. But are their servers going to be up if I want to install it and play ten years from now? Hell, if I had gone through 5 computers in those ten years, I might not even be allowed to install it on my new machine even if those servers were still up. If I spend that much on a game, I should at the very least be able to install it when and where I want. Note that I'm only referring to how the DRM affects the ways I can legally use the game; I'm not talking about installing it on friends computers or the like, only on my own.

I wouldn't even consider buy a game with DRM this restrictive.

What. The. Hell.

This is why I'm glad that I don't play PC games very often.
mmac
INTL Premium Member

3ms will rise again

Reply 20 of 53 (Originally posted on: 08-26-07 10:41:38 PM)

I know an awful lot of people in Iraq who are going to be disappointed then. While they do have great computers, good luck getting it on the internet to activate a game.
Shadowe

Reply 21 of 53 (Originally posted on: 08-27-07 09:40:10 AM)

yeah... that's pretty sad when a group of people the copyright brigade wants us to believe are funding terrorists is doing more for our soldiers than almost anyone else.
Yogi
INTL Premium Member
The Hero of Canton

check out my color filters

Ballkicks: (+129 / -58)
Reg. Date: Mar 2003
Reply 22 of 53 (Originally posted on: 08-28-07 03:34:04 AM)

Most overhyped game 2007
The Big Deal
Ryan
Big Sausage Pizza

Reply 23 of 53 (Originally posted on: 08-28-07 09:23:02 AM)

Quoted from Yogi:
Most overhyped game 2007

Why is that?
antpocas
"Sex is not dating."
"If it were, Santana and I would be dating.

GLEEK

Ballkicks: (+414 / -233)
Reg. Date: May 2002
Reply 24 of 53 (Originally posted on: 08-28-07 09:59:03 AM)

Quoted from Purple:
Quoted from Yogi:
Most overhyped game 2007

Why is that?

because its not on mac
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 2 3 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 5872 | Total Posts: 53 ]