Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Discussion Forums > The "Song A Day" Thread Forum > The Death of Pets > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest. Moderated by: D drahnier
Page: [ 1 2 ] [ Thread Views: 3646 | Total Posts: 36 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Subscribe To Thread
Do you value the life of human strangers or beloved pets more?
This poll has expired.
Human Strangers 1 vote, 7.143%
Beloved Pets 9 votes, 64.286%
Neither / Other 4 votes, 28.571%
Totals: 14 votes, 103.058%
Modify Poll
abused
i done told you once bitch

Looks and acts like a douche-bag

Ballkicks: (+820 / -208)
Reg. Date: Dec 2002
(Originally posted on: 08-10-07 01:34:46 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

So although most of you won't care, while I was away at summer camp, my dog died. Her name was Maggie, and she was an Irish Setter. I took pictures of her and made threads about it once in awhile.

Basically, Im just wondering to what degree each of you is affected, if any, by the death of a pet. Do you highly value the life of animals or is it no more important than the cow you ate for lunch.

I also included a somewhat morbid, but serious, poll question.

Discuss!
"Hey there, Fancypants. Play the songs that make us dance. Play the tunes that make the ladies swoon. A song for all the lonely hearts, shattered dreams and broken parts. It feels like sunny days are coming soon."
emtilt

the cow of horses

Ballkicks: (+486 / -41)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
Reply 1 of 36 (Originally posted on: 08-10-07 01:44:59 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

I've never had a pet other than fish die. My dog isn't that old. I imagine that I'll be disappointed when she dies, but that I'll quickly get over it.

Quote:
No one can give anyone else the gift of the idyll; only an animal can do so, because only animals were not expelled from Paradise. The love between man and animal is idyllic. It knows no conflicts, no hair-raising scenes; it knows no development.

this is my music i hope you like it
For now we see through a glass, darkly, but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.

This reply was last edited on 08-11-07 01:29:33 PM by emtilt.
Kitabatake
Fishing with Firecrackers

2efficient4spacebar

Ballkicks: (+450 / -46)
Reg. Date: May 2002
Reply 2 of 36 (Originally posted on: 08-10-07 02:11:57 PM)

I swing wildly. I'll probably be only slightly disappointed when my dog dies.

Sometimes I care about other people dying, and sometimes I really don't. It's weird.

-I think that I care the most about other people dying when it makes me face my own mortality. That's probably the subtext there.
You think I like you.
But I don't like you.
I hate your guts, I hate your guts.
IF0
Administrator

Hey, I was with Mary Magdalene last night....smell my finger lol

Ballkicks: (+621 / -173)
Reg. Date: Jul 2003
Reply 3 of 36 (Originally posted on: 08-10-07 02:15:10 PM)

I usually don't give a damn when a person dies. Unless it was something brutally painful, or like an old person or child. Like those girls recently that were forced to kneel down and be executed? I don't like it when something/someone that is defenseless gets tortured/killed.

Just like I hope Michael Vick gets ass raped, tortured, and dies bleeding from his ass in prison for fucking with the dogs. Dog fighting pisses me off. Dogs don't choose to fight, they're forced and tortured. I generally feel bad when animals are killed because they're defenseless, and I mostly care more when an animal is killed more than I do a person. Like the gorillas that were tied to bamboo set-ups and executed. That pissed me off. Anyhow, atleast Maggie had a peaceful death and had a comforting home.
Adopt a leggo my eggo ifo.
drahnier
INTL VIP
:iceburn:

Ballkicks: (+886 / -232)
Reply 4 of 36 (Originally posted on: 08-10-07 02:29:37 PM)

I remember maggie.

I even remember your story about how you dropped hot marshmallows on her or something.
DRAHNIER
Smokey
INTL Premium Member
fuck this title

funkle smokey

Ballkicks: (+845 / -114)
Reg. Date: Jun 2004
Reply 5 of 36 (Originally posted on: 08-10-07 02:32:37 PM)

Only dogs have ever been important to me. That's why I date the girls I do OH OH!
Sex
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

gotta get that VICTORY ROYALE #gamer #memes #LoL

Ballkicks: (+1782 / -130)
Reply 6 of 36 (Originally posted on: 08-10-07 02:45:20 PM)

Obviously I am much more emotionally affected by my dog dying than a person I don't know dying. But if I had to choose between a stranger dying and my dog dying, I would choose my dog, because he's not a person.
Amphytrite
Hard for Drah

I don't really even like hearing about it or reading about it

Ballkicks: (+1869 / -83)
Reg. Date: Apr 2004
Reply 7 of 36 (Originally posted on: 08-10-07 04:30:12 PM)

I've never had a dog, but I was absolutely devastated when my first horse died. I even thought about quitting riding because I was so upset that I couldn't be around other horses without thinking about him. I had never been that upset in my life and I wasn't again until my grandfather died.

I value the lives of my animals much more than I value the lives of humans I don't know. Emotionally, the actions of random humans I don't know won't going to affect me as much as the actions of the animals I know.
i am raising my eyebrow

Vissario: i am here to serve
Amphy: then make me a sandwich.
Vissario: holy shit
Vissario: u just did not say that, sugaboo
Ryan
Big Sausage Pizza

From west philadelphia born and raised on the playground it's said I spent most of my days

Ballkicks: (+64 / -17)
Reg. Date: Nov 2006
Reply 8 of 36 (Originally posted on: 08-10-07 04:32:05 PM)

I'm only really effected by deaths of people/animals that are really close to me, sadly to say, my family isn't really in that list.
atlas sighed (at me)
User is currently banned until further notice.

Reply 9 of 36 (Originally posted on: 08-10-07 04:55:38 PM)

Pets are way too needy and strangers are generally annoying and insulting. I can't say I would care very much either way if a stranger died. As to pets, they are just primitive animals and no matter how much importance and "love" we personify them with, they act only out of the belief that if they continue what they do, they will be fed. As such, I could hardly say in truth that I would ever get very emotionally attached to a pet because it is hardly "loving" me.
Mr Pixies
Scuba.

Ballkicks: (+490 / -96)
Reply 10 of 36 (Originally posted on: 08-10-07 05:30:55 PM)

Sorry about Maggie, I remember her, dogs are better than people. People can be so much worse than a dog could ever be, even if the dying person is nice and the dog is Cujo, I pick Cujo.
VAGINIAN

I'm entertained, but I'd rather be enlightened.

Nilbog! It's goblin spelled backwards! This is their kingdom! - Joshua

Grow the fuck up, this is the goddamn internet. - Menion
Baggy_Brad
FIGJAM

Cool.

Ballkicks: (+1431 / -135)
Reply 11 of 36 (Originally posted on: 08-10-07 05:58:02 PM)

I remember maggie too, she was a cool dog and I feel sad that she's gone now, so I can't imagine how much you must be hurting. Condolences from me Adam MAGUSMAGUSMAGUSMAGUS
bradism.
Sunn O)))
INTL Alumni
14 year RP master

Zan-beef

Ballkicks: (+761 / -127)
Reply 12 of 36 (Originally posted on: 08-10-07 06:08:47 PM)

Oh wow, Maggie was like another INTLer.

I answered the poll based on whether I'd miss either or. I don't miss strangers - in the definition of people (and animals) I don't know. I've had pets which have died, and I do miss them as much if not more than people whom I have known well. But it's not as though I dwell on it.
Smokey
INTL Premium Member
fuck this title

funkle smokey

Reply 13 of 36 (Originally posted on: 08-10-07 07:06:34 PM)

Was anyone else's initial reaction "What did you do to her?!"
Sex
Amphytrite
Hard for Drah

Reply 14 of 36 (Originally posted on: 08-10-07 08:30:35 PM)

Don't be an ass, Smokey.
i am raising my eyebrow

Skizzles
INTL Premium Member
Okay, Okay! I take it back. Unfuck you!

I <3 you too.

Ballkicks: (+145 / -59)
Reg. Date: Mar 2004
Reply 15 of 36 (Originally posted on: 08-10-07 08:38:52 PM)

humans > animals
Iím the new king, Iíll take the queen...

[12:34am] <14Xunny> It may be highly viscous, but it doesn't mean it will stay there forever.
[12:34am] <04AntiAmi> my member is better now
[12:34am] <04AntiAmi> it stopped burning yesterday
[12:34am] <14Xunny> and Menion should shut the fuck up
[12:34am] <06+JimRowley> well i dunno bout the underaged literotica stuff
[12:34am] <06+Amphytrite> that's the spirit, sunny.
Smokey
INTL Premium Member
fuck this title

funkle smokey

Reply 16 of 36 (Originally posted on: 08-10-07 08:42:47 PM)

Quoted from Ampitheatre:
Don't be an ass, Smokey.

He was drunk all the time. Remember all the stupid shit he'd make that poor dog do? I bet he got her too drunk.
Sex
Zippo
pooooooop

Leveling entire cities with her magnificient girl-cock

Ballkicks: (+1097 / -49)
Reg. Date: Nov 2002
Reply 17 of 36 (Originally posted on: 08-11-07 04:14:42 PM)

Yet that dog loved him unconditionally, and that's what made her so special. My condolences, Adam.
Exchange of the Week
[22:36] Only One Catch: are you drunk?
[22:36] sunniesrevenge: no
[22:36] sunniesrevenge: I don't have to be drunk to love you

Apprenticed under Kage-STFU the art of bujutsu
"It is in Men that we must place our hope." - Gandalf the Grey
D
Administrator

i didn't have the strength to get it all the way off

Ballkicks: (+1950 / -91)
Reply 18 of 36 (Originally posted on: 08-11-07 04:57:03 PM)

That didn't make it special. My brother used to stick our bird in the freezer, the drawers, throw it across the room, and it still loved him.
Zippo
pooooooop

Leveling entire cities with her magnificient girl-cock

Ballkicks: (+1097 / -49)
Reg. Date: Nov 2002
Reply 19 of 36 (Originally posted on: 08-11-07 05:08:07 PM)

I was trying to make a distinction between human love and animal love. If you did the same thing to a human being, he/she would probably love you less or not at all.
Exchange of the Week
[22:36] Only One Catch: are you drunk?
[22:36] sunniesrevenge: no
[22:36] sunniesrevenge: I don't have to be drunk to love you

Apprenticed under Kage-STFU the art of bujutsu
"It is in Men that we must place our hope." - Gandalf the Grey
atlas sighed (at me)
User is currently banned until further notice.

Reply 20 of 36 (Originally posted on: 08-11-07 05:15:44 PM)

Quoted from Zippo:
Yet that dog loved him unconditionally, and that's what made her so special. My condolences, Adam.

There is no proof that animals understand the complex emotion known as "love".

If anything, it is personification to apply human emotions onto animals which don't have the mental capacity to feel it. In reality, animals, especially pets, act the way they do out of simple action and reaction. If a dog is fed only after it comes to you, it will learn that being around you constantly will more likely result in food than not being around you. If a dog is physically petted and rubbed, it will associate, again, being around you with puerile physical pleasure. Both being fed and being touched are intrinsically basic pleasures for a domesticated animal and neither really indicate a type of human "love".
Amphytrite
Hard for Drah

Reply 21 of 36 (Originally posted on: 08-11-07 06:23:01 PM)

Quoted from vissario:
Quoted from Zippo:

There's no proof they don't, either. Humans understand love, so there's a possibility that other animals can at least feel it.
Quote:
If anything, it is personification to apply human emotions onto animals which don't have the mental capacity to feel it. In reality, animals, especially pets, act the way they do out of simple action and reaction. If a dog is fed only after it comes to you, it will learn that being around you constantly will more likely result in food than not being around you. If a dog is physically petted and rubbed, it will associate, again, being around you with puerile physical pleasure. Both being fed and being touched are intrinsically basic pleasures for a domesticated animal and neither really indicate a type of human "love".

Maybe being fed and touched are basic pleasures, but they are still enjoyable and they are going to associate enjoyment with whomever did said petting and feeding. When I first started handling my (now) horse, I only dealt with him when I was riding him, and otherwise I had no part in his life. However, he almost always came to me rather than his owner when given the choice. That may not be love, but it's certainly dedication & it's possible that dedication is how some animals show love.
i am raising my eyebrow

Mr Pixies
Scuba.

Ballkicks: (+490 / -96)
Reply 22 of 36 (Originally posted on: 08-11-07 07:19:06 PM)

Quoted from vissario:
Quoted from Zippo:

How is that different from a human though? What's so complex about love, and what makes you think it even exists at all?

Dimi's bird loved his brother even though Dimi's brother molested his bird, so that means that animal affection is less significant than a humans? Lots of people are molested and still love their abusers, others don't. Same thing with animals, some will love their abusers now matter what, others will fight back. I don't think us humans are a special species that do anything any differently than any other species.
VAGINIAN

I'm entertained, but I'd rather be enlightened.
pl0x

now you're redundant if you say anything

Ballkicks: (+29 / -16)
Reg. Date: Jan 2007
Reply 23 of 36 (Originally posted on: 08-11-07 07:29:04 PM)

i agree with IF0, when it comes to strangers who are helplessly tortured and killed, my heart goes out to them and their families. Obviously I'm going to be more attached to an animal I'm acquainted with and have taken care of, then for someone I've never met my entire life. Yes, I'll care about it, to some degree, but as far as comparing them to an animal I've grown to "love"...then I'll take the animal.

Besides, i love Henry the Fish of Doom.
sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo good ;D
emtilt

the cow of horses

Ballkicks: (+486 / -41)
Reply 24 of 36 (Originally posted on: 08-11-07 07:47:46 PM)

I used to think what vissario thinks, but then I realized human behavior really isn't all that special in the animal kingdom. Our "love" is still just a response built into us by by evolution (which isn't to take anything away from human thought and behavior, it's great, but not magical or anything).
this is my music i hope you like it
For now we see through a glass, darkly, but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 2 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 3646 | Total Posts: 36 ]