Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Discussion Forums > The "Song A Day" Thread Forum > So maybe marijuana really is a bit dangerous.. > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest. Moderated by: D drahnier
Page: [ 1 2 3 ] [ Thread Views: 5515 | Total Posts: 62 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
IF0
Administrator

Hey, I was with Mary Magdalene last night....smell my finger lol

Ballkicks: (+621 / -173)
Reg. Date: Jul 2003
(Originally posted on: 07-27-07 02:45:00 AM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19980923/

Quote:
LONDON - Using marijuana seems to increase the chance of becoming psychotic, researchers report in an analysis of past research that reignites the issue of whether pot is dangerous

Like there weren't already enough crazies on here.
Adopt a leggo my eggo ifo.
Sunn O)))
INTL Alumni
14 year RP master

Zan-beef

Ballkicks: (+761 / -127)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
Reply 1 of 62 (Originally posted on: 07-27-07 02:51:02 AM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

hardly, I'm crazy because I'm a honey nut eating lonely woman
ba
INTL Premium Member
Captain of the Cool Kids

and i said, a\re you a gay ass fucker who can't take a baseball up the ass you faggot???? and he said yes........

Ballkicks: (+456 / -62)
Reg. Date: Apr 2003
Reply 2 of 62 (Originally posted on: 07-27-07 02:55:11 AM)

haven't they been trying to prove pot's dangers since the 60s?
~British[/whisper] Agent
[whisper].___.
{O,o} O RLY?
/)__)
-"-"-
Links: Penny Arcade, YTMND, Something Awful.
IF0
Administrator

Hey, I was with Mary Magdalene last night....smell my finger lol

Ballkicks: (+621 / -173)
Reg. Date: Jul 2003
Reply 3 of 62 (Originally posted on: 07-27-07 02:59:09 AM)

In my understanding, that was just propaganda. Like, "pot is bad, mmkay, it kills brain cells." But then there wasn't a study that'd correlate with that. Then again, I'm not an expert, so I don't know the history or anything. In fact, I believe the more modern-day studies say that it's fine in regards to brain cells and such.
Adopt a leggo my eggo ifo.
asthetik
I SHOULD READ THE HALL OF REJECTS MORE OFTEN!

making jabs at each other is what the internet is for you fucking idiots. oh, and for stealing things.

Ballkicks: (+333 / -161)
Reg. Date: Jul 2002
Reply 4 of 62 (Originally posted on: 07-27-07 08:06:48 AM)

There are a few things that make me question this a bit.

firstly, its sponsored by the british health department (remember, their american cousins are the ones that told us that e puts holes in our brains), and secondly, this bit:

Quote:
“The available evidence now suggests that cannabis is not as harmless as many people think,” said Dr. Stanley Zammit, one of the study’s authors and a lecturer in the department of psychological medicine at Cardiff University.

this is pretty much the single biggest issue with most drug studies. odds are a decent number of people who smoke pot differ from the rest of society to enough of a degree to produce confounding suggesting that there is a relation between smoking and psychosis, although there may be no causal link between the two.

with harder drugs the usual issue is that they can't tell what other drugs subjects might be using, but with pot that would play less of a factor (although not one that should necessarily be disregarded, as probably at least a third of people who smoke weed will do harder drugs on occasion)
wir hören ein singen im raum...
wir jagen die monotomie...
wir machen aus stunden ein jahr
und mondschein aus unserem haar
wir fliegen so weit wie noch nie
atlas sighed (at me)
User is currently banned until further notice.

Reply 5 of 62 (Originally posted on: 07-27-07 08:59:10 AM)

Smoking weed is a lot different than getting addicted to it. The former is unlikely to affect anything, but the latter is likely to ruin your life as a productive member of society and cause you to turn to crime/begging to find enough money to support your habit.

That said, the reason society wants to ban it is because it creates unproductive citizens. People who contribute to the burden of the tax payer while not really offering anything towards the tax base. If junkies weren't the selfish, vindictive creatures they are, they would realize that though pot isn't "bad" for their bodies, it is "bad" for general society.
Sixten Sparre
Épater la bourgeoisie

wears neckerchiefs

Ballkicks: (+1184 / -307)
Reg. Date: Sep 2002
Reply 6 of 62 (Originally posted on: 07-27-07 02:20:19 PM)

You sound like one of those idiot moslem dads, who would force his daughter to marry her cousin, and when she doesn't, because she doesn't want to, he kills her for the family's "honor"

just because you are born into a culture, doesn't mean you have to agree with it, everything is relative from person to person
Tough, Unique, Bad, Bodacious, and Sassy.
ba
INTL Premium Member
Captain of the Cool Kids

and i said, a\re you a gay ass fucker who can't take a baseball up the ass you faggot???? and he said yes........

Ballkicks: (+456 / -62)
Reg. Date: Apr 2003
Reply 7 of 62 (Originally posted on: 07-27-07 03:38:47 PM)

haha weed addiction
~British[/whisper] Agent
[whisper].___.
{O,o} O RLY?
/)__)
-"-"-
Links: Penny Arcade, YTMND, Something Awful.
blacksun

dooooooooood I'm like soooooo high

Ballkicks: (+74 / -90)
Reg. Date: Dec 2002
Reply 8 of 62 (Originally posted on: 07-27-07 06:00:16 PM)

maybe crazy people just like to smoke marijuana.
asthetik

making jabs at each other is what the internet is for you fucking idiots. oh, and for stealing things.

Reply 9 of 62 (Originally posted on: 07-27-07 06:45:27 PM)

Quote:
Smoking weed is a lot different than getting addicted to it. The former is unlikely to affect anything, but the latter is likely to ruin your life as a productive member of society and cause you to turn to crime/begging to find enough money to support your habit.

i smoked weed everyday last spring and still got good marks from one of the top universities in america
poop
$$~~~Crips~~~$$
slooooooooooooots

i'd expect more sorcery in a place called mana pools

Ballkicks: (+731 / -71)
Reg. Date: May 2002
Reply 10 of 62 (Originally posted on: 07-27-07 06:49:05 PM)

Everybody smokes weed. It's normal now.

I distrust almost all stats on drug culture. They can find stats to support ANY claim they want just by choosing who to ask.

Yea I bet you could find 50 hippie freaks that blaze mad weed and hate the government, and you probably would find a correlation.

Even if they are sampling people at random, undoubtedly, the first question would be "do you smoke weed". Now, by day, alot of people still frown upon it, so I'm willing to bet that alot of people would say "no", almost by kneejerk. It's like being asked by your boss if you smoke weed. I'd probably say no, too (unless he's chillin).

But I'm sure some of those people that said no will go right home and smoke a fat blunt.

doctors lawyers professors cops electricians plumbers teachers firemen truck drivers accountants actuarians judges prison guards salesmen all smoke weed.

I read that 17% of Canada's population smokes weed. I bet that the REAL value is higher.

EDIT: and to what asthetik said, I go to Canada's Top University in the world's most intelligent city. For a physics degree. I'm high right now.
asthetik

Reply 11 of 62 (Originally posted on: 07-27-07 07:29:03 PM)

*high five*
Ztolk
INTL Premium Member
Rawr.

definitely threw the blue lego

Ballkicks: (+838 / -47)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
Reply 12 of 62 (Originally posted on: 07-27-07 08:24:29 PM)

Quote:
EDIT: and to what asthetik said, I go to Canada's Top University in the world's most intelligent city. For a physics degree. I'm high right now.

Somebody's got a pretty high opinion of Waterloo. :p

But on topic, I'm of the belief that weed is ok if you don't smoke it all the time. It's when you're in a constant haze that it becomes a problem. It also depends on the person and the strain of weed.
"I used the internet to get laid once. That is not a shining moment of pride for me. The worst thing? She evidently gave me chlamydia, which I evidently got cleared up."
-Wandering Idiot
atlas sighed (at me)
User is currently banned until further notice.

Reply 13 of 62 (Originally posted on: 07-28-07 04:22:28 PM)

Quoted from asthetik:
Quote:

i smoked weed everyday last spring and still got good marks from one of the top universities in america

Yeah, because you are representative of all the weed smokers in America.

I'm sure Pedro down by the docks living in that cardboard box went to college too. And you know why? Because he smoked weed!
poop
$$~~~Crips~~~$$
slooooooooooooots

Reply 14 of 62 (Originally posted on: 07-28-07 06:58:44 PM)

I'd like to meet your friend Pedro that is living in a cardboard box.

Unless of course you just made him up, and in which case, you should realize that people that ACTUALLY smoke weed, like me and asthetik and half the people on this forum, would have a MUCH better idea about what weed culture is all about.

Colleges and Universities are FLOODED with pot.
Snook
INTL Premium Member

enlightening 6 year olds on the horrors of war

Ballkicks: (+247 / -65)
Reg. Date: Jun 2003
Reply 15 of 62 (Originally posted on: 07-28-07 07:02:44 PM)

Quoted from Tarfagus:
Colleges and Universities are FLOODED with pot.

Understatement of the century. On 4/20, a fog descends over my town that is not of natures doing...
Hello my name is Kristoffer Jørgensen and I am from Norweigen I come to see hot USA girls and history landmarks!!
Ryan
Big Sausage Pizza

From west philadelphia born and raised on the playground it's said I spent most of my days

Ballkicks: (+64 / -17)
Reg. Date: Nov 2006
Reply 16 of 62 (Originally posted on: 07-28-07 09:14:27 PM)

Just out of curiosity, why do you all smoke it, to be a rebel? To be cool?

Seriously, that stuff smells like shit and my guess is it tastes the same. It's the same deal with cigarettes, I don't know how people can stand it long enough to get addicted to them.
poop
$$~~~Crips~~~$$
slooooooooooooots

Reply 17 of 62 (Originally posted on: 07-28-07 09:17:53 PM)

Quoted from Purple:
Just out of curiosity, why do you all smoke it, to be a rebel? To be cool?

Thats a big NO followed by a large NEGATIVE.

People do it because it feels good.
People smoke cigarettes because it calms the nervous system, so people find it extremely relaxing.
In the same way, weed enhances your mood and relaxes the nervous system.

Until you try it a few times, you'll probably never understand.

And in my opinion, weed smells really good. Cigarette smell I could do without.
Ryan
Big Sausage Pizza

From west philadelphia born and raised on the playground it's said I spent most of my days

Reply 18 of 62 (Originally posted on: 07-28-07 09:22:13 PM)

What got you started on it though?

Obviously when you started you weren't just looking to become 'relaxed'

I know that's not what I was going for when I got drunk the first time.
kayte
INTL Premium Member

How long until this becomes my new title let's count the seconds

Ballkicks: (+1019 / -241)
Reg. Date: Nov 2003
Reply 19 of 62 (Originally posted on: 07-28-07 09:29:55 PM)

Quoted from Tarfagus:

Unless of course you just made him up, and in which case, you should realize that people that ACTUALLY smoke weed, like me and asthetik and half the people on this forum, would have a MUCH better idea about what weed culture is all about.

lololol "weed culture."

I smoked more weed than any person really should and then I gave it up because actually yeah smoking that much pot is really stupid. The only people who think that pot is totally safe are the people who smoke it a lot, so you know, not really an unbiased analysis there.

It's not really taboo anymore, and I don't really see a problem with people who smoke occasionally and just for fun, but there are so many burnouts out there for whom a smoke is the highlight of their day/life and to me that is just really pathetic.

Quote:
LONDON - Using marijuana seems to increase the chance of becoming psychotic, researchers report in an analysis of past research that reignites the issue of whether pot is dangerous

Well, I think that is true. Considering side effects like the paranoia a lot of people experience when smoking, it doesn't seem to me such a giant leap to think that those effects will start to be apparent even when someone isn't stoned... just like how drinking has deleterious effects on the body. I don't know when or how people ever got the idea that NOTHING BAD COULD EVER HAPPEN as a result of smoking pot.

Quoted from Tarfagus:
I go to Canada's Top University in the world's most intelligent city.

Bahahahaha.

I wrote this whole post just so I could say "deleterious" today. 
Ryan
Big Sausage Pizza

Reply 20 of 62 (Originally posted on: 07-28-07 09:31:42 PM)

Quote:
I go to Canada's Top University in the world's most intelligent city.

Kingston is far superior to Waterloo.
poop
$$~~~Crips~~~$$
slooooooooooooots

Reply 21 of 62 (Originally posted on: 07-28-07 10:03:47 PM)

Maclean's seems to think so.

And some jerks at ICF seem to think so too.
Quoted from http://www.intelligentcommunity.org/displaycommon.cfm?an=1&subarticlenbr=161:
Intelligent Community Forum Announces Recipients of 2007 Awards and Names Waterloo, Ontario, Canada the Intelligent Community of the Year

Haha whatever though. I don't care too much.

Kingston is great yeah omg yah rite fag lol. I'm a big fan of their cells. Alot more spacious than other places. And the guards are alot nicer there!
Ryan
Big Sausage Pizza

Reply 22 of 62 (Originally posted on: 07-28-07 10:07:34 PM)

That's actually the reason I've been to Kingston, my step-Father is a parole officer and had to go there to present a training consultation for other officers.
poop
$$~~~Crips~~~$$
slooooooooooooots

Reply 23 of 62 (Originally posted on: 07-29-07 01:53:28 AM)

Of course. There's three reasons why somebody lives in Kingston:
-Military
-Queen's U
or
-Ex-Con
Science Brad
INTL Premium Member
sigh

Logic is the beginning of wisdom, not the end.

Ballkicks: (+288 / -77)
Reply 24 of 62 (Originally posted on: 07-29-07 01:55:29 AM)

Having read the article, it simply says they performed a review of data from many previous studies that tracked tens of thousands of users over a course of time ranging from 1 to 27 years. They concluded that users of weed pretty much across all studies had an increased risk of developing a mental disorder. But due to the nature of the study could not rule out other factors such as people who use weed being more prone to a mental disorder, with the frequency of weed use correlating to how likely they were to have it. The study basically says that an actual study needs to be done on the actual long-term health effects of weed.

This is a summary since lots of people won't read the article and will instead spout some stuff off like Tarfagus did in post 10. This study doesn't really add much of anything new per se to the knowledge about how weed affects a user, but it does show there is a definite correlation between weed use and the risk of mental disorder. Yay.

I personally don't care if people use it or not. If they do then while they are high it is easy for me to manipulate money out of them at least big grin
"We've arranged a civilization in which most crucial elements profoundly depend on science and technology. We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces." -Carl Sagan
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 2 3 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 5515 | Total Posts: 62 ]