Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Discussion Forums > The "Song A Day" Thread Forum > Indiana or Michigan? > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest. Moderated by: D drahnier
Page: [ 1 2 ] [ Thread Views: 4196 | Total Posts: 49 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
Angus

D'oh!

Ballkicks: (+621 / -84)
Reg. Date: Jun 2004
(Originally posted on: 05-02-07 05:17:14 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

Indiana University or University of Michigan?

Foreign languages are my strong point, so I will be studying as many as I can no matter which I choose. I understand that IU is pretty well known for their language programs, but Michigan is good at them too, since they're good at almost everything. I am not going to be an engineer, otherwise it would be Michigan without a doubt.

Most people around here seem to think that the Michigan degree would be more valuable because of prestige and reputation, etc., but it would also cost twice as much as the IU degree, since IU gave me some scholarship money.

Michigan has stronger academics, and IU has a better social scene. But neither of them are too shabby in the other area, since Ann Arbor is an amazing town, and since IU is pretty solid in most academic areas.

Most of what I'm asking is if a Michigan degree would really be worth paying twice as much as for IU, or if most people just see "Big 10 School" and don't really distinguish beyond that.

And the coin toss said Michigan but I want a slightly more informed decision.
wheezy
The Reel RS Krew
Lord Handsome

The next time you wanna call a coon a nigger, call that spearchucker a jungle bunny instead. I know, I know... nigger rolls off the tongue so easy, but there is a world of rarely used racial slurs that we need to start utilizing. White power!

Ballkicks: (+527 / -190)
Reg. Date: Dec 2001
Reply 1 of 49 (Originally posted on: 05-02-07 05:18:42 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

It really depends on how much cock you want rammed up your ass. If a lot, I'd say Michigan. Otherwise, Indiana.
U CANT TRICK THE TRICKSTER

Moderator of the Proud Inside Discussions Forum.
www.uselessstatic.com
atlas sighed (at me)
User is currently banned until further notice.

Reply 2 of 49 (Originally posted on: 05-02-07 05:25:16 PM)

I'm pretty sure if you were paying for it you would pick Indiana.
poop
$$~~~Crips~~~$$
slooooooooooooots

i'd expect more sorcery in a place called mana pools

Ballkicks: (+731 / -71)
Reg. Date: May 2002
Reply 3 of 49 (Originally posted on: 05-02-07 05:34:51 PM)

michigan nucka

i think i might apply there for grad school
Amphytrite
Hard for Drah

I don't really even like hearing about it or reading about it

Ballkicks: (+1869 / -83)
Reg. Date: Apr 2004
Reply 4 of 49 (Originally posted on: 05-02-07 05:35:29 PM)

University of Cowpens, son.
Indiana has more of a presence in the Classics world, and I've read a lot of their classics professors' articles and books. I don't know if that specifically is what you want to go into, but if you're thinking about taking some Latin or Greek (I hope you are i'm a serial-killer :)), Indiana's a strong place for that.
And vissario does make a good point, Indiana's less expensive than Michigan.
Quote:
Most people around here seem to think that the Michigan degree would be more valuable because of prestige and reputation, etc.

It doesn't really matter where you go, getting the degree is the most important part.
i am raising my eyebrow

Baggy Brad: Amphytrite if you come to my house I will stare at you until you orgasm as your prize
atlas sighed (at me)

Reply 5 of 49 (Originally posted on: 05-02-07 05:52:33 PM)

Quote:
It doesn't really matter where you go, getting the degree is the most important part.

Maybe the actual degree doesn't change, but the prospects of getting a good job after graduating from a community college aren't quite the same as graduating from Harvard.
wheezy
The Reel RS Krew
Lord Handsome

The next time you wanna call a coon a nigger, call that spearchucker a jungle bunny instead. I know, I know... nigger rolls off the tongue so easy, but there is a world of rarely used racial slurs that we need to start utilizing. White power!

Reply 6 of 49 (Originally posted on: 05-02-07 05:54:27 PM)

The question is, young sir,

Does it make a difference if he went to Big Gay Michigan, or Indiana?

www.uselessstatic.com
flaming arrow
INTL Premium Member

old time judge suck cock

Ballkicks: (+1266 / -281)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
Reply 7 of 49 (Originally posted on: 05-02-07 05:54:37 PM)

It depends on if you're paying for it. If you are, Indiana. If you're not, Michigan.
"...The LORD was with Judah; and he drave out the inhabitants of the mountain; but could not drive out the inhabitants of the valley, because they had chariots of iron." -- Judges 1:19
Angus

D'oh!

Reply 8 of 49 (Originally posted on: 05-02-07 06:52:42 PM)

There are a lot of extended family helping to pay for the college so I wouldn't be paying for Michigan. My biggest fear about UM would be that I suddenly decide that teaching is my calling and I graduate and make $40,000 a year after wasting all that money.
atlas sighed (at me)

Reply 9 of 49 (Originally posted on: 05-02-07 07:15:54 PM)

Quote:
There are a lot of extended family helping to pay for the college so I wouldn't be paying for Michigan. My biggest fear about UM would be that I suddenly decide that teaching is my calling and I graduate and make $40,000 a year after wasting all that money.

Higher education is supposed to be more than just career prep.
Amphytrite
Hard for Drah

Reply 10 of 49 (Originally posted on: 05-02-07 07:24:56 PM)

It is?
i am raising my eyebrow

Baggy Brad: Amphytrite if you come to my house I will stare at you until you orgasm as your prize
wheezy
The Reel RS Krew
Lord Handsome

Reply 11 of 49 (Originally posted on: 05-02-07 08:04:54 PM)

Quoted from vissario:
Quote:
There are a lot of extended family helping to pay for the college so I wouldn't be paying for Michigan. My biggest fear about UM would be that I suddenly decide that teaching is my calling and I graduate and make \$40,000 a year after wasting all that money.

Higher education is supposed to be more than just career prep.

not much more. I'm a computer science major and I've taken a few econ classes and think they're cool, but that's about it. It really hasn't added a ton of value to my life. I also took a film class or two, and enjoyed what I learned, but I probably could've learned most of that shit just by surfing the web, or even wiki

www.uselessstatic.com
atlas sighed (at me)

Reply 12 of 49 (Originally posted on: 05-02-07 08:16:54 PM)

Quoted from Ampitheatre:
It is?

The idea of higher learning stretches all the way back to Ancient Athens where the ruler ship and aristocracy would send their children to extended schools to become knowledgeable in all things. From war, to philosophy, to science, and to the humanities, college was supposed to give a human being a full load, if you will, in all things worth learning, not just their desired career. The point was, then, and as it is now, to actually make the human being better coming out than he was coming in. To make the student wiser, broader, and hopefully, a little more enlightened then your average Joe Schmo. Way back when, it was devised as a tool to make the ruler ship actually capable of ruling wisely. Today, it still serves the same purpose, but only it has become more open to the masses to help make democracy and the wiser leadership of it possible.

You should go to college to do more than just prepare yourself for a life of consumerism. You should go there to expand your horizons and become a better, more fulfilling member of your society and hopefully a more satisfied person with yourself. Pursuing a career should just be a facet of your short life, not the point of it.
poop
$$~~~Crips~~~$$
slooooooooooooots

Reply 13 of 49 (Originally posted on: 05-02-07 08:32:35 PM)

No you're fucking wrong buddy admit it.

Aren't you in highschool or what?
20 years ago maybe, you wouldn't need university education to find a job. But nowadays, if you dont have higher education, you're mostly fucked, unless you're going into a trade skill.

And even more recently...within the past 5 or 10 years maybe (i'm not a historian on this stuff), you need even higher education to pull off sweet shit in your career.

I know in my field...I'm stuck in shit creek with no master's degree
Angus

D'oh!

Reply 14 of 49 (Originally posted on: 05-02-07 08:32:56 PM)

Goddamnit I don't care when vissario shits on other threads, but this thread is pretty important to me and vissario ruined it. UR THE GHEYEST PERSNO EVAR SNDAMIT!!1
poop
$$~~~Crips~~~$$
slooooooooooooots

Reply 15 of 49 (Originally posted on: 05-02-07 08:34:01 PM)

Yea fuck...I'm stupid for biting in. I always try not to.

Back to the thread.
Go to Michigan Baby....better football team.
atlas sighed (at me)

Reply 16 of 49 (Originally posted on: 05-02-07 08:39:37 PM)

Quote:
No you're fucking wrong buddy admit it.

20 years ago maybe, you wouldn't need university education to find a job. But nowadays, if you dont have higher education, you're mostly fucked, unless you're going into a trade skill.

And even more recently...within the past 5 or 10 years maybe (i'm not a historian on this stuff), you need even higher education to pull off sweet shit in your career.

WTF am I wronga bout? Do you even bother reading my posts anymore you moron?

I said that getting a career by going to college should be one part of your life, not the end-all be-all of it.

If you somehow magically construed that I was saying "DON'T GO TO COLLEGE, DO NOT GO TO COLLEGE" from that post, you are probably the retard who is still in high school.

Quoted from Tartarus:
I'm stupid

Agreed
Amphytrite
Hard for Drah

Reply 17 of 49 (Originally posted on: 05-02-07 09:10:46 PM)

Quoted from Tartarus:
Go to Michigan Baby....better football team.

Ooooooh, he has a good point there.
i am raising my eyebrow

Captain James T. Kirk
Sweaty men? Yes please!

íSpanish!

Ballkicks: (+184 / -62)
Reg. Date: Mar 2003
Reply 18 of 49 (Originally posted on: 05-02-07 09:58:59 PM)

I'm not too far from IU.
<Byc> kita, give troz a rim job
<Trfzt> if youlike the flavor
<Trfzt> rim?
<Byc> he knows what i'm talking about
<kita> urgh.
<Trfzt> give it to me, oh yeah
<kita> no.
<Trfzt> why?
<Trfzt> is it something like eat ass?
IF0
Administrator

Hey, I was with Mary Magdalene last night....smell my finger lol

Ballkicks: (+621 / -173)
Reg. Date: Jul 2003
Reply 19 of 49 (Originally posted on: 05-02-07 09:59:41 PM)

Having a degree from an accredited 4 year university is what matters, and unless it's from something like Harvard (go Soccy) then it won't make much of a difference. Go wherever you'll be happy, not which degree you think would look better. Besides, if you plan on going to grad school, people won't pay very much attention to your undergrad degree in the end anyways. Michigan is known as an academic school, but Indiana is no slouch either, mostly because people have heard of it. It's not like you're saying "Hey, I'm getting a degree from Wofford."
Adopt a leggo my eggo ifo.
wheezy
The Reel RS Krew
Lord Handsome

Reply 20 of 49 (Originally posted on: 05-02-07 10:04:42 PM)

Vissario don't post in this thread again. You're derailing it and making Angus upset.

www.uselessstatic.com
Amphytrite
Hard for Drah

Reply 21 of 49 (Originally posted on: 05-02-07 10:10:30 PM)

Quoted from IF0:
It's not like you're saying "Hey, I'm getting a degree from Wofford."

Well, I've heard of Wofford.

Honestly Sam, where do you want to go? Take everything into account--cost of travel, the weather, parking on campus, aesthetics, the condition of the residence halls, how students are treated by faculty, the sales tax in both states, the faculty-student ratio, what you might want to major in, how good the food was, the people you met when you visited, the physical size of the campus, how many stairs and hills there are on campus, sports, & the number of squirrels at each school. And everything else you can possibly think of. And then decide which place you liked more based on everything. That's your decision. Worry more about what'll make you happy than what will make everyone else happy.
i am raising my eyebrow

IF0
Administrator

Hey, I was with Mary Magdalene last night....smell my finger lol

Ballkicks: (+621 / -173)
Reg. Date: Jul 2003
Reply 22 of 49 (Originally posted on: 05-02-07 10:21:15 PM)

Exactly, as Jess said. And yes, they play Div 1 sports so more people have heard of them than haven't, but I mean.. okay, New Jersey Institute of Technology. Missouri-Rolla. I dunno. You get the point. big grin
Adopt a leggo my eggo ifo.
wheezy
The Reel RS Krew
Lord Handsome

Reply 23 of 49 (Originally posted on: 05-02-07 10:32:14 PM)

Size of school, sales tax and faculty-student ratio are all fine and dandy, but is it all worth is when you're getting reamed in the ass?

www.uselessstatic.com
Pertti Susilainen
Head Priest

mr. sukkit

Ballkicks: (+924 / -57)
Reg. Date: Dec 2002
Reply 24 of 49 (Originally posted on: 05-03-07 12:57:33 AM)

This concept of university confuses and infuriates me, but from what you say, I'd pick Indiana.
đonne onwŠcne­ eft wineleas guma, gesih­ him biforan fealwe wegas, ba■ian brimfuglas, brŠdan fe■ra, hreosan hrim ond snaw hagle gemenged. Ůonne beo­ ■y hefigran heortan benne, sare Šfter swŠsne. Sorg bi­ geniwad ■onne maga gemynd mod geondhweorfe­, grete­ gliwstafum, georne geondsceawa­ secga geseldan; swimma­ oft on weg. Fleotendra fer­ no ■Šr fela bringe­ cu­ra cwidegiedda.
The Wanderer, l. 45-55a
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 2 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 4196 | Total Posts: 49 ]