Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Site Comments > Archives > Archived Forums > The Arena: Bunch of dudes talking about balls > NHL Playoffs > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest.
Page: [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] [ Thread Views: 12990 | Total Posts: 147 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
poop
$$~~~Crips~~~$$
slooooooooooooots

i'd expect more sorcery in a place called mana pools

Ballkicks: (+731 / -71)
Reg. Date: May 2002
(Originally posted on: 04-20-07 08:58:06 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

On the off-chance that somebody here cares about hockey...

SECOND ROUND PICKS

Tartarus
Sabres in 5
Ducks in 6
Sens in 6
Sharks in 7

goldorak
buffalo over ny rangers in 6
new jersey over ottawa in 6
san jose over detroit in 7
vancouver over anaheim in 7

hasty penguin
Sabres in 6
Ducks in 5
Sharks in 6
New Jersey in 6

Erags
Ducks in 5
Sabres in 6
SJ in 7.
Ottawa in 7

Dimi
Ducks in 4
buffalo over ny rangers in 5
Ottawa over Devils in 6
san jose over detroit in 7

Who's your picks?

I've been screaming San Jose since the trade deadline. Bill Guerin and Rivet were both good acquisitions, and beats the Forsberg trade if you ask me. Nashville didn't stand a chance. It was a great series though...easily the best this year so far.

Ottawa was an easy pick over Sidney Crybaby and the rest of the Pens. As much as I dislike the Sens, they have a really solid team. They got a good group of young players like Vermette and Kelly to fill in the depth, and probably one of the deadliest top lines in the league in Heatley, Alfie, and Spezza.

Rangers sweep the Thrashers. That was somewhat surprising if you ask me. Not that the Rangers won, just that Atlanta hardly even put up a fight. Pretty embarassing on their part.

New Jersey is up 3 games to 2 agaisnt Tampa Bay. I don't really care either way for this series. New Jersey easily has the better team, since Tampa Bay can really only put one line out there that can compete. Still though, that one TB line is an amazing line, I kinda hope they beat New Jersey. NJ defensive hockey is so utterly boring to watch.

But fuck, how bout the Islanders? Such a goddamn pissoff. They beat the Leafs out of their playoff spot, only to get creamed by Buffalo in the first round. I still think that Leafs had the best chance to beat the Sabres out of the three teams that were going for that 8th spot (Montreal, Toronto, and Islanders). That series woulda been amazing. With the amount of Leafs fans that make the trip to Buffalo for the games, Toronto pretty much woulda had home-ice advantage every game.
This reply was last edited on 04-26-07 01:39:37 PM by poop.
goldorak
Conan The Destroyer, Idiot Extraordinaire

Ballkicks: (+22 / -12)
Reg. Date: Jan 2007
Reply 1 of 147 (Originally posted on: 04-21-07 06:51:35 AM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

ottawa can't be trusted in the playoffs.
despite taking out the penguins, ottawa is so underwhelming that it feels like it's a matter of time before they disappear.
maybe this is their year but... but we've been saying that since 2001

the rangers have been hot lately, but let's not forget that the trashers were the worst (meaning least capable of making a run) team in either conference to make the playoffs and hartley's baffling decisions with their goaltending killed any potential for the trashers to get their shit in order

vancouver's gonna win it this year... luongo is a monster right now
my new title suits me perfectly... i love it
poop
$$~~~Crips~~~$$
slooooooooooooots

Reply 2 of 147 (Originally posted on: 04-21-07 09:03:44 AM)

Luongo is a monster for sure. Vancouver probably wouldn't even be in the Playoffs to start with if it weren't for Luongo.

As for Ottawa....yea the convention is that they are choke artists in the playoffs. All I'm thinking is that how many consecutive times can you choke before you finally get it right?
I'm not even a fan of the Sens, but I think they easily have potential in the East.

Depending on how the playoff ladder works, I'd say it'd be Buffalo and Ottawa in the Conference Finals.

Without a doubt the West is a much tougher conference this year. Ducks, Sharks, Predators, Vancouver and Detroit probably all had equal shots at winning the cup in my mind (that is, until the Preds got beat out).
Ztolk
INTL Premium Member
Rawr.

definitely threw the blue lego

Ballkicks: (+838 / -47)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
Reply 3 of 147 (Originally posted on: 04-21-07 09:53:37 AM)

The Leafs are taking the cup this year. I know we say it every year BUT THIS YEAR IS THE YEAR.
"I used the internet to get laid once. That is not a shining moment of pride for me. The worst thing? She evidently gave me chlamydia, which I evidently got cleared up."
-Wandering Idiot
poop
$$~~~Crips~~~$$
slooooooooooooots

Reply 4 of 147 (Originally posted on: 04-21-07 11:14:51 AM)

Damn Leafs.

They better make some moves this summer.

Fire JFJ, dump Oneil, Perreault, and Peca. Move Raycroft to be a backup goalie somewhere else. Bid for Ryan Smyth and Ray Emery (and win the contract), and THEN we may have a shot.

Also...figure out what the fuck is wrong with Steen and why he blew ass this year.
Widukind
MARCHINTOCH SI 4 DA FAGZZZZ

M/F? No one knows

Ballkicks: (+126 / -166)
Reg. Date: May 2003
Reply 5 of 147 (Originally posted on: 04-21-07 11:55:49 AM)

Pens vs Devils and Rangers vs Sens would have been awesome for a first round.

Also, no way on earth leafs deserved that playoff spot. They played like shit all season. The number of fans they have doesn't change that fact. They could have won any other game to win that place but they didn't. Same thing goes for the habs. The islanders on the other hand, fought to the bitter end, even with a wounded #1 goaler.

Ottawa-Penguins series: the real winner here are the penguins. Because if they don't win the cup next year, it will be the year after. They just have too much potential not to become something incredible.

Lightning-Devils: devils : YAWN. Lecavalier & Martin are easily the best duo out there. It's true that they're the only members of their team that shine, but you could say the same for Brodeur/Parise. Altough the last one seems to have problems standing on his two feet.

Canucks - Stars : this is what you get when two equal teams compete, boring hockey. 4 o.t. periods anyone?

All in all, I hope the CH makes it next year, because I feel like i dont have anyone to root for. But if Gainey doesn't quit, I doubt it will happen.
poop
$$~~~Crips~~~$$
slooooooooooooots

Reply 6 of 147 (Originally posted on: 04-21-07 12:12:45 PM)

Quoted from Widukind:

Also, no way on earth leafs deserved that playoff spot. They played like shit all season. The number of fans they have doesn't change that fact. They could have won any other game to win that place but they didn't. Same thing goes for the habs. The islanders on the other hand, fought to the bitter end, even with a wounded #1 goaler.

Leafs were among the top team in Team Injuries. I forget the total but it's something obscene like 150 games lost.

Peca hardly played at all, and he would have greatly helped the PK, faceoff circle, AND woulda been a good shutdown center.

Wellwood emerged as one of the signature talents on the Team and was finding amazing chemistry with Tucker and Sundin until he got injured. He played nearly a point-per-game before he got injured (48 games, 12 goals, 30 assists, 42 points ). If he coulda stayed healthy then he would have guarenteed us at least 25+ more points (goals/assists, i mean), which probably would of equated to at least 3 or 4 more wins (=playoff spot).

Tucker went out for a while too. Tucker is okay...I don't kid myself into thinking he's star calibre, but he was a beast on the Power Play, which probably woulda earned us another win or so.

That's not even mentioning the games lost when our defense was wrecked. Kubina, Kaberle, and Colaicovo all lost games this year. Granted, they didn't lose as many games as Wellwood and Peca, but we still could have used Kaberle in those important games after the Jannssen hit. That was such a fuckin dirty hit....wwwwwayy after the play.

Not too mention that all season we were playing in front of a goalie that was downright terrible at some times. Raycroft had his moments of brilliance, but most of the time I called him Raysoft for all the soft goals he let in.

Moral of the story is that if Wellwood stayed healthy, we would have had a playoff spot. If Peca AND Wellwood stayed healthy, it would have been guarenteed, methinks.
Sixten Sparre
Épater la bourgeoisie

wears neckerchiefs

Ballkicks: (+1184 / -307)
Reg. Date: Sep 2002
Reply 7 of 147 (Originally posted on: 04-21-07 12:34:36 PM)

I stopped watching NHL when kansas city lost their franchise *sigh*
Tough, Unique, Bad, Bodacious, and Sassy.
D
Administrator

i didn't have the strength to get it all the way off

Ballkicks: (+1950 / -91)
Reply 8 of 147 (Originally posted on: 04-21-07 12:41:13 PM)

I'm going for Dallas. I used to hate them but now i'm desperate.
"They could have grown up to become Hitler....collectively." - Ztolk's creepy Flash man
poop
$$~~~Crips~~~$$
slooooooooooooots

Reply 9 of 147 (Originally posted on: 04-21-07 12:43:18 PM)

I'm a fan of Dallas too. If it weren't for Luongo, they'd have the better team for sure.
Coca-Cola
INTL Premium Member

MY WIG-WAM WOKS!

Ballkicks: (+503 / -183)
Reg. Date: Feb 2003
Reply 10 of 147 (Originally posted on: 04-22-07 06:20:40 AM)

Although Dallas is a good team, I didn't feel they had a chance against Vancouver - that is until last night (game 6). Vancouver just didn't seem with it at all. I still think, and hope though that they have a good chance at advancing with their home ice advantage on Monday.

I'm undecided at this point who I want to win overall this season, but my prediction at the moment (which will probably change throughout) is that it will come down to Buffalo and Anaheim.

goldorak
Conan The Destroyer, Idiot Extraordinaire

Ballkicks: (+22 / -12)
Reg. Date: Jan 2007
Reply 11 of 147 (Originally posted on: 04-22-07 08:15:50 AM)

canucks sucked last night... two games in a row without a goal?
there went my vancouver-in-six prediction...

why is it impossible for calgary to win as visitor?
does the management put them up in cheap hotels or something?
my new title suits me perfectly... i love it
poop
$$~~~Crips~~~$$
slooooooooooooots

Reply 12 of 147 (Originally posted on: 04-22-07 10:14:11 AM)

Calgary hasn't been able to win on the road all season long. They have an amazing audience at home, and for some reason, they can't find the motivation to play unless there's a crowd. Pretty stupid.
Not to mention that Detroit, yet again, is one of the top teams in the league.
I'm originally from Windsor, Ontario...which is right across the border from Detroit. Pretty much the only spot in Canada where Red Wing fans outnumber Toronto Maple Leaf fans. As you might guess, I fuckin hate the Red Wings.

I watched the Vancouver game too. I'm surprised you thought they'd win, Coca Cola. Luongo is really their best player, and almost their ONLY player. They have shit all for depth. Honestly, who do they really have other than the Sedins and Naslund. Morrison is overrated in my opinion, and I'm not impressed with Vancouver's defence in the slightest.

Dallas on the otherhand, has TONS of players that make a huge difference in the game. Nagy, Ribeiro, Zubov, Boucher, Modano, Morrow, Jokinen, and Lehtinen all had terrific seasons. Not too mention Marty Turco, like Luongo, steals games on a regular basis.
poop
$$~~~Crips~~~$$
slooooooooooooots

Reply 13 of 147 (Originally posted on: 04-22-07 01:58:36 PM)

Jersey just beat out Tampa Bay. Kinda pisses me off because now we need to struggle through another boring series with the Devils.
D
Administrator

Reply 14 of 147 (Originally posted on: 04-23-07 08:50:51 PM)

Damn, just watched as the canucks beat dallas. Somewhat dissapointed to see Dallas lose, but more excited to watch an exciting game. I'd cheer for Vancouver in the rest of the series if it wasn't for that hideous logo of theirs. Also its not in my nature to cheer for canadian teams. But we'll see.
"They could have grown up to become Hitler....collectively." - Ztolk's creepy Flash man
poop
$$~~~Crips~~~$$
slooooooooooooots

Reply 15 of 147 (Originally posted on: 04-23-07 09:00:26 PM)

Quoted from Dimi:
Also its not in my nature to cheer for canadian teams. But we'll see.

Yeah, I guess you'll have to settle for cheering for a team full of Canadians playing in the states LOL IM SUCH A FAG!!

I hate Vancouvers jerseys too though.

I'm not sure how the Western Ladder is going to go, but the Eastern ladder is posted, and it looks to be a no-brainer.

Buffalo vs New York ---> Should be easy Buffalo victory

Ottawa vs New Jersey ---> Brodeur hasn't as spectacular as he has been in the past, while Emery HAS been quite good. Ottawa has an obscene amount of fire power to throw at Brodeur, and Jersey isn't exactly known for a tough offense. Should be an easy Ottawa victory.

If Jersey upsets Ottawa, I wouldn't be nearly as surprised as I'd be if the Rangers beat the Sabres. That would be absurd.
D
Administrator

Reply 16 of 147 (Originally posted on: 04-23-07 09:26:53 PM)

Quoted from Tartarus:
Quoted from Dimi:
Also its not in my nature to cheer for canadian teams. But we'll see.

Yeah, I guess you'll have to settle for cheering for a team full of Canadians playing in the states LOL IM SUCH A FAG!!

True, but I guess its a step ahead of a team full of Canadians playing in Canada?

Anyway, by the looks of it it seems I've got no other choice but to hop on with a Canadian team.

Rangers vs. Sabres -- Hate them both. Hope they both lose somehow.

Senators vs. Devils -- Hate the Devils. Go Ottawa?

Anahiem vs. Vancouver -- I kinda like the Ducks, but I dont like they're new all-black look. Plus I think Vancouver just won my heart. Go Vancouver?

Calgary vs. Nashville -- I don't really like expansion teams, and I usually don't like teams from warm-weather places. Seems like i'm rooting for another Canadian team.. :{ Then again I never liked Calgary (mainly cause they remind me of the Red Wings, who I hate), so I could stand to see a nashville victory also.

I guess in the end I'm looking for either Ottawa or Vancouver to win.

PS. Why the eff is there a whale/shark the logo for the canucks?? If they start wearing the throwback jersey the wore tonight as their regular they've got my full support. Love it.

Also i'm starting to realize, the only team I really like in the NHL is the Flyers. Other then that, I either hate them or i'm relatively indifferent.

Edit: yup, its true. After looking through a list of teams I found that theres really only 2 other teams I like, St. Louis Blues and the Dallas Stars (who I used to hate). Then theres only 4/5 more teams that I look slightly favorably upon.

which brings the totals to,
love: 1
like: 2
okay: 5
dont care: 12
hate: 10

As if anyone gives a shit. Sorry for this post, its more of a personal record than anything worth reading.
This reply was last edited on 04-23-07 09:36:51 PM by D.
poop
$$~~~Crips~~~$$
slooooooooooooots

Reply 17 of 147 (Originally posted on: 04-23-07 09:35:46 PM)

Quote:

Calgary vs. Nashville -- I don't really like expansion teams, and I usually don't like teams from warm-weather places. Seems like i'm rooting for another Canadian team.. :{ Then again I never liked Calgary (mainly cause they remind me of the Red Wings, who I hate), so I could stand to see a nashville victory also.

Actually, it's gonna be San Jose vs Detroit.
San Jose has been my pick for the Cup, so I'm obviously cheering for SJ. And I despise Detroit, so it's an easy choice for me.

Quote:

PS. Why the eff is there a whale/shark the logo for the canucks??

Cuz Vancouver's on the Ocean...I guess? I don't know the answer but I hate the jersey..

Quote:

Also i'm starting to realize, the only team I really like in the NHL is the Flyers.

See any games this year? Downright terrible this season. They made some sweet trades though (Upshall, Biron....good acquisitions).
Sunn O)))
INTL Alumni
14 year RP master

Zan-beef

Ballkicks: (+761 / -127)
Reply 18 of 147 (Originally posted on: 04-23-07 09:36:44 PM)

Quote:
PS. Why the eff is there a whale/shark the logo for the canucks?? If they start wearing the throwback jersey the wore tonight as their regular they've got my full support. Love it.

a) reference to their parent company "Orca Bay"
b) native element. The design is very Haida-ish.
c) somewhat symbolizing of Vancouver, with its seaside element, reknown aquarium (which also heavily emphasizes the Orca theme), and with the Orca itself, an 'alleged' common animal in the area.
D
Administrator

Reply 19 of 147 (Originally posted on: 04-23-07 09:42:24 PM)

Quoted from Tartarus:
Quote:

Actually, it's gonna be San Jose vs Detroit.
San Jose has been my pick for the Cup, so I'm obviously cheering for SJ. And I despise Detroit, so it's an easy choice for me.

Oh... I blame NHL.com for not being very easy to navigate.

In that case, lets go San Jose. Normally not a fan, but if you asked me to list my 3 least favorite temas, Detroit would be one of them.

Quote:
Quote:

Also i'm starting to realize, the only team I really like in the NHL is the Flyers.

See any games this year? Downright terrible this season. They made some sweet trades though (Upshall, Biron....good acquisitions).

Yeah it was an awful season. But as you said there were some good trades, and good draft picks next year and I heard we might be getting Forsberg back.

Quote:
b) native element. The design is very haida-ish.
c) somewhat symbolizing of Vancouver, with its seaside element, reknown aquarium, and of an 'alleged' common animal in the area.

Thanks xunnipedia
Sunn O)))
INTL Alumni
14 year RP master

Zan-beef

Ballkicks: (+761 / -127)
Reply 20 of 147 (Originally posted on: 04-23-07 09:46:59 PM)

Quote:
Quote:
b) native element. The design is very haida-ish.
c) somewhat symbolizing of Vancouver, with its seaside element, reknown aquarium, and of an 'alleged' common animal in the area.

Thanks xunnipedia

The free encyclopedia that anyone can fuck.
poop
$$~~~Crips~~~$$
slooooooooooooots

Reply 21 of 147 (Originally posted on: 04-23-07 09:49:20 PM)

Quote:

Yeah it was an awful season. But as you said there were some good trades, and good draft picks next year and I heard we might be getting Forsberg back.

Getting Forsberg back may not be the best choice. Forsberg is a huge contract, and he has shown this year that he's too old to play an 82 game season. You can't sign a guy like Forsberg for the amount of money he wants, only to have him play 40 games...thats the making of a bad team (that was Philly's downfall this year).
Forsbergs last three seasons: 57 games this year, 60 games last year, and 39 games in 03-04. That's terrible. He plays with a physical edge, and with age, he's gonna be even more injury prone.

Instead, I expect Philly to be heavily pursuing Danny Briere as a free-agent. It'd be a good signing for them too. A young team with Briere leading the charg...that'd be good for Philly's future AND the present.
Hasty Penguin
get in the box
People are a danger to society.

there is a guy who gets it on with three girls at once and they all have amazing unibrows

Ballkicks: (+1307 / -46)
Reply 22 of 147 (Originally posted on: 04-24-07 01:04:05 PM)

So Vancouver's win over Dallas? Awesome.

Unfortunately, my second round picks go to the Ducks over Vancouver. The Sharks should prevail over Detroit, who, despite having a strong line up, only had an exceptionally good record this season due to a lot of games against teams like Florida, who sucked.

Buffalo should be able to handle New York, but it'll be a good series, and for god's sake, Ottawa had better beat New Jersey, because New Jersey is such a boring team.
"One time I spilled ice cream on my pants and we had to throw them out."
"Last night I fell asleep, and when I woke up, my room was a black and white movie."

Theatre on the Edge|My Musical Compositions|The Hunger Site
D
Administrator

Reply 23 of 147 (Originally posted on: 04-24-07 01:07:02 PM)

Quoted from Tartarus:
Quote:

Getting Forsberg back may not be the best choice. Forsberg is a huge contract, and he has shown this year that he's too old to play an 82 game season. You can't sign a guy like Forsberg for the amount of money he wants, only to have him play 40 games...thats the making of a bad team (that was Philly's downfall this year).
Forsbergs last three seasons: 57 games this year, 60 games last year, and 39 games in 03-04. That's terrible. He plays with a physical edge, and with age, he's gonna be even more injury prone.

Instead, I expect Philly to be heavily pursuing Danny Briere as a free-agent. It'd be a good signing for them too. A young team with Briere leading the charg...that'd be good for Philly's future AND the present.

Yeah thats what people have been telling me. I believe them since they know better than I do.
poop
$$~~~Crips~~~$$
slooooooooooooots

Reply 24 of 147 (Originally posted on: 04-24-07 01:10:39 PM)

Detroit is similar to New Jersey in that they play excellent defensive hockey. The Red Wings are notorious for only allowing 20 or shots per game...which is incredible. It's hard to score with only 20 shots, only 5 of which are ACTUALLY good scoring chances.

They have Nick Lidstrom, who is easily one of ther top Defenceman in the league year after year.

Detroit doesn't play florida alot though. The teams they play the most are the teams in their own division. But still, the point is still valid. Look at Detroits Division:
Detroit
Nashville
St Louis <---Terrible team
Columbus <--- Terrible team
Chicago <--- Terrible team

So detroit plays all 3 of those absolutely awful teams, 6 times each. That's 18 wins pretty much handed to them on a silver platter.

That's always my excuse for Toronto. Toronto's division is in one of the most consistently competitive division in the league.
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 12990 | Total Posts: 147 ]