Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Discussion Forums > The "Song A Day" Thread Forum > Haha, I'm posting from Japan. > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest. Moderated by: D drahnier
Page: [ 1 2 ] [ Thread Views: 3595 | Total Posts: 40 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
Scruffy - The Janitor
Alcoholics Anonymous
While anarchy can often turn a humdrum weekend into something unforgettable, eventually the mob must be kept from stealing the conch and killing Piggy.

Pimpin is just a haircut and a shave away!

Ballkicks: (+650 / -57)
Reg. Date: Jan 2003
(Originally posted on: 04-12-07 08:39:54 AM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

And holy balls, what a country. Unfortunatly, I speak very little Japanese myself, but I have a friend here I've been meeting up with from time to time who has lived here for awhile, and I'm making more friends through her.

It's amazing how much nicer the people here have been overall in comparison to the fucking American asshats I'm used to. After the first day of meeting me, a friend of my friend offered to let me stay at his appartment in Kyoto for as long as I'd have liked. Didn't take him up on it right away, as I had more I wanted to do elsewhere, but I'm going to be here for ten more days, so I'll probably swing back up there before I go.

Of course, I was a dumbass and forgot all the USB cables I had wanted to bring on my bed, so I can't upload any of the pictures I've been taking.

The jetlag has been killing me. After being up and active for about 12 hours I just want to crash out, but keep waking up every few hours.

So yeah, I don't really have an itinerary for the next few days, going to a local shrine tomorrow, Isu shrine, if memory serves... So if any of you know shit about Japan and have any locations or activities you'd like to recomend and have me take pictures of, by all means do!

Jya, mata ne.
An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools.
Ma-Newer
League of Super Sluts

It all became very clear to me sitting out there today that every decision Iĺve ever made in my entire life has been wrong.

Ballkicks: (+1024 / -49)
Reg. Date: Sep 2003
Reply 1 of 40 (Originally posted on: 04-12-07 10:52:35 AM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

Excellent, Japan is No.1 on my list of places to visit in the future. Bring me back some soiled underpants from the black market.
Never argue with stupid people. They will drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

etymxris
INTL Developer

JUST AS PLANNED

Ballkicks: (+179 / -16)
Reg. Date: Jun 2004
Reply 2 of 40 (Originally posted on: 04-12-07 11:01:04 AM)

Quoted from Arnok:
It's amazing how much nicer the people here have been overall in comparison to the fucking American asshats I'm used to.

Well that's probably because you're american and not an otaku. If you were korean or something I doubt you'd be as welcomed. While Japan is a very polite society, it hasn't solved the issues of human conflict. It just gets repressed and expressed through passive-agressive gossip behind each others' backs. I think I prefer the directness of all those asshole americans.

My assessment could be totally off, but from what I've heard from many sources, I'd doubt it.
Amphytrite
Hard for Drah

I don't really even like hearing about it or reading about it

Ballkicks: (+1869 / -83)
Reg. Date: Apr 2004
Reply 3 of 40 (Originally posted on: 04-12-07 11:03:40 AM)

Why are you in Japan?
i am raising my eyebrow

Baggy Brad: Amphytrite if you come to my house I will stare at you until you orgasm as your prize
Ztolk
INTL Premium Member
Rawr.

definitely threw the blue lego

Ballkicks: (+838 / -47)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
Reply 4 of 40 (Originally posted on: 04-12-07 11:05:47 AM)

You forgot your USB cabels? You're in fucking Japan! They grow on trees there.
"I used the internet to get laid once. That is not a shining moment of pride for me. The worst thing? She evidently gave me chlamydia, which I evidently got cleared up."
-Wandering Idiot
Kitabatake
Fishing with Firecrackers

2efficient4spacebar

Ballkicks: (+450 / -46)
Reg. Date: May 2002
Reply 5 of 40 (Originally posted on: 04-12-07 01:00:30 PM)

Ztolk beat me to it. Seriously, man.
You think I like you.
But I don't like you.
I hate your guts, I hate your guts.
Mingan
INTL Alumni
Mmm Skyscraper I Love You

Why are we having this wedding? because Abraham Lincoln, of course!

Ballkicks: (+637 / -48)
Reg. Date: May 2002
Reply 6 of 40 (Originally posted on: 04-12-07 01:21:46 PM)

whats more important though, have you found the squid sex chicks and told them they've gotta stop being rediculous yet?
Wireless Muppet, of Strings and Ribbonwax
C
Administrator

Level 90 Ginger

Ballkicks: (+723 / -204)
Reg. Date: Jun 2002
Reply 7 of 40 (Originally posted on: 04-12-07 01:54:06 PM)

I'd just hit up some all-girl Japanese high schools if I were you. You're a hairy American, they dig that.
Realize that falling in love with someone is just the results of a series of generic events that can occur between you and basically anyone who meets your standards of attractiveness. It's just an emotional manifestation of a handfull of chemicals bouncing back and forth. It's not the holy grail of living, it's not your reason to exist and it's definitely not something reserved for "that one person". Accept that you are just an animal with a big brain that allows him to fret over what only amounts to a game of hormone pool. What you're feeling is not your soul dying a gurgling, ugly death, but withdrawal. All the happy chemicals that saturated your body when you were with her are kicking out cold turkey, and your body is screaming bloody murder, where are my fucking endorphins? It's just chocolate. Find a new bar.
peach
I get enamoured

Just call me "Mom"

Ballkicks: (+735 / -175)
Reg. Date: Jul 2002
Reply 8 of 40 (Originally posted on: 04-12-07 03:02:22 PM)

Go to a maid cafe.

Take pictures of crazy vending machines.
atlas sighed (at me)
User is currently banned until further notice.

Reply 9 of 40 (Originally posted on: 04-12-07 07:40:18 PM)

Quote:
So if any of you know shit about Japan

I know they believe in state-enforced culture, fascism, and, of course, the liberal use of a whipping cane and the distortation of world history in their public schools.

Sounds like a great place suicide is fun
Sixten Sparre
╔pater la bourgeoisie

wears neckerchiefs

Ballkicks: (+1184 / -307)
Reg. Date: Sep 2002
Reply 10 of 40 (Originally posted on: 04-12-07 07:42:49 PM)

Quoted from vissario:
Quote:

I know they believe in state-enforced culture, fascism, and, of course, the liberal use of a whipping cane and the distortation of world history in their public schools.

the only thing you appear to like, is not liking anything else than that
Tough, Unique, Bad, Bodacious, and Sassy.
Air Bud
Internet Superstar

Some plants even masturbate into their own vaginas in order to reproduce.

Ballkicks: (+918 / -56)
Reg. Date: Sep 2001
Reply 11 of 40 (Originally posted on: 04-12-07 10:31:21 PM)

Quoted from vissario:
Quote:

Sounds to me like the only place you will actually enjoy will be in the comfort of your own grave.
Pertti Susilainen
Head Priest

mr. sukkit

Ballkicks: (+924 / -57)
Reg. Date: Dec 2002
Reply 12 of 40 (Originally posted on: 04-13-07 04:30:59 AM)

Baka...

That's awesome, Arnok. Are they as weird as they want us to believe?
đonne onwŠcne­ eft wineleas guma, gesih­ him biforan fealwe wegas, ba■ian brimfuglas, brŠdan fe■ra, hreosan hrim ond snaw hagle gemenged. Ůonne beo­ ■y hefigran heortan benne, sare Šfter swŠsne. Sorg bi­ geniwad ■onne maga gemynd mod geondhweorfe­, grete­ gliwstafum, georne geondsceawa­ secga geseldan; swimma­ oft on weg. Fleotendra fer­ no ■Šr fela bringe­ cu­ra cwidegiedda.
The Wanderer, l. 45-55a
Smokey
INTL Premium Member
fuck this title

funkle smokey

Ballkicks: (+845 / -114)
Reply 13 of 40 (Originally posted on: 04-13-07 06:04:43 AM)

Quoted from Arnok:
And holy balls, what a country. Unfortunatly, I speak very little Japanese myself

I used to speak Japanese, but after the horrible accident that I neglected to speak about online forced me to unlearn it, I feel as though I've lost a significant part of my past.

It's good to enjoy their music again, though.
Sex
Scruffy - The Janitor
Alcoholics Anonymous
While anarchy can often turn a humdrum weekend into something unforgettable, eventually the mob must be kept from stealing the conch and killing Piggy.

Reply 14 of 40 (Originally posted on: 04-13-07 06:25:21 AM)

Quoted from etymxris:
Quoted from Arnok:
It's amazing how much nicer the people here have been overall in comparison to the fucking American asshats I'm used to.

Well that's probably because you're american and not an otaku. If you were korean or something I doubt you'd be as welcomed. While Japan is a very polite society, it hasn't solved the issues of human conflict. It just gets repressed and expressed through passive-agressive gossip behind each others' backs. I think I prefer the directness of all those asshole americans.

My assessment could be totally off, but from what I've heard from many sources, I'd doubt it.
While this is for the most part true, it doesn't change the fact that since they are all worried about how they are judged by others, it more or less forces them to be incredibly kind and accomidating. I don't care if the second I'm out of earshot they're talking about the stupid American tourist, the point is they make shit a little easier for me.

Quoted from Ampitheatre:
Why are you in Japan?
I've always been rather enamoured with Japan and Japanese culture. A friend of mine has been here for the past year and will be going back to the States within the month, so I've been saving my money to take advantage of the fact that I'd have a friend here to kind of lead me around.

Quoted from Ztolk:
You forgot your USB cabels? You're in fucking Japan! They grow on trees there.
They're currently out of season. Apparently I just missed the harvest, so I'll have to go to the local grocery store.

Quoted from Mingan:
whats more important though, have you found the squid sex chicks and told them they've gotta stop being rediculous yet?
The search continues...

Quoted from vissario:
I HATE WHAT YOU LIKE. WHAT ARE YOU GONNA DO ABOUT IT!?
Okay, tell you what. I'll humor you. Tell me more about where you got this point of view. I'll pretend for the next 5 posts that you aren't just pulling your opinions out of the ass of a dead hooker you lovingly call "mom".

Quoted from Sukkit:
Baka...

That's awesome, Arnok. Are they as weird as they want us to believe?
Yes, yes they are. Japanese television is insane. Some shows I don't understand what's going on at all, and I don't think that's due to the language barrier... I also saw a Steven Segal movie called "Belly of the Beast" that was dubbed. Holy funny. Every time he moved the badguys would fall over due to the force of his jiggle.

By the way, It wasn't "Isu" shrine that I went to, it was "Ise". "Isu" means chair.
THE MORE YOU KNOW
An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools.
Muzta
Lord of the Dance
Negative Association was the name of my hot tub

Ballkicks: (+140 / -19)
Reg. Date: Apr 2002
Reply 15 of 40 (Originally posted on: 04-13-07 11:07:05 AM)

Quote:

*loves being from Maine*
"Nice guys finish last, then we sleep in" - Duk's Sig
Smokey
INTL Premium Member
fuck this title

funkle smokey

Ballkicks: (+845 / -114)
Reply 16 of 40 (Originally posted on: 04-13-07 11:30:20 AM)

I don't understand at all why friendly people are enjoyed by others.
Sex
pl0x

now you're redundant if you say anything

Ballkicks: (+29 / -16)
Reg. Date: Jan 2007
Reply 17 of 40 (Originally posted on: 04-13-07 12:25:09 PM)

i had to do a 6 page research paper over japan.

check out the john lennon museum, and the food theme parks.
~~make a s/n and get on the game, and i'll kill you till you get better at it.~~
~~well...you could have taken 2x2=your mama... or 1% of nothingx your mama~~
~~it would be funny if there was an actual asian kid in class there & thats how u refered 2 him, and he gave out back rubs for some odd reason~~
Scruffy - The Janitor
Alcoholics Anonymous

Reply 18 of 40 (Originally posted on: 04-13-07 04:28:58 PM)

Quoted from Smokey:
I don't understand at all why friendly people are enjoyed by others.
Free lodging and informed information about local attractions.
IF0
Administrator

Hey, I was with Mary Magdalene last night....smell my finger lol

Ballkicks: (+621 / -173)
Reg. Date: Jul 2003
Reply 19 of 40 (Originally posted on: 04-13-07 04:34:54 PM)

Quote:
While Japan is a very polite society, it hasn't solved the issues of human conflict.

Although that is made easier by being a very homogenous society, which I think is what Vissario might've been referring to as fascist.
Adopt a leggo my eggo ifo.
Pertti Susilainen
Head Priest

mr. sukkit

Ballkicks: (+924 / -57)
Reg. Date: Dec 2002
Reply 20 of 40 (Originally posted on: 04-13-07 04:43:58 PM)

According to my Intercultural Communication professors, Japan's favoured kind of courtesy is a positive courtesy, which means the emphasis is on making you feel accepted and as part of the community, whereas typical Western* courtesy strategies favour negative strategy, which focuses on respecting one's individual space and keeping the distance between the interlocutors.

*Mediterranean countries tend to favour positive courtesy more, but not as much as the Japanese and Chinese cultures.

This might be the only time that stupid class proves semi-relevant, so I figured I'd post something.
đonne onwŠcne­ eft wineleas guma, gesih­ him biforan fealwe wegas, ba■ian brimfuglas, brŠdan fe■ra, hreosan hrim ond snaw hagle gemenged. Ůonne beo­ ■y hefigran heortan benne, sare Šfter swŠsne. Sorg bi­ geniwad ■onne maga gemynd mod geondhweorfe­, grete­ gliwstafum, georne geondsceawa­ secga geseldan; swimma­ oft on weg. Fleotendra fer­ no ■Šr fela bringe­ cu­ra cwidegiedda.
The Wanderer, l. 45-55a
IF0
Administrator

Hey, I was with Mary Magdalene last night....smell my finger lol

Ballkicks: (+621 / -173)
Reg. Date: Jul 2003
Reply 21 of 40 (Originally posted on: 04-13-07 05:33:08 PM)

You're mom's pretty positively courteous too.
Adopt a leggo my eggo ifo.
atlas sighed (at me)
User is currently banned until further notice.

Reply 22 of 40 (Originally posted on: 04-13-07 05:50:47 PM)

Quote:
I've always been rather enamoured with Japan and Japanese culture

Ah yes, the fruit of Japanese state-sponsored propaganda, otherwise known as 'Anime'

Quote:
Tell me more about where you got this point of view.

From the fact that they hate foreigners, impose huge tariffs on foreign goods, hate any liberal ideas (aside from capitalism) corrupting their nice, fascist state, and, oh yes, they still think China was the one who invaded them. Really, they are great people once you get past the fact that they really think you (and your culture) are trash. kekeke u give soj???

Quote:
Japan's favoured kind of courtesy is a positive courtesy, which means the emphasis is on making you feel accepted and as part of the community

Ah, so that is why they set up so many immigration restrictions! They are an inclusive, accepting people!

This reply was last edited on 04-13-07 10:39:45 PM by atlas sighed (at me).
Scruffy - The Janitor
Alcoholics Anonymous

Reply 23 of 40 (Originally posted on: 04-14-07 01:44:02 AM)

I'm sorry, vissario, I think I used too many big words. What I should have asked was; "Have you ever been to Japan or had a conversation with a real live Japanese person?" Allow me to recount last night's festivities...

Around 11:30pm I hopped on a bike and went down to a local bar my friend had reccomended to me. When I got there, this is what I saw: A Japanese bartender, four Japanese patrons, one American (not including myself), one British, two Austrailian, and a Korean. How do I know their nationalities? I talked to all of them, and they were all very kind. We sat there for hours drinking and talking, exchanging stories and even talking socal politics. It was a blast. And then I got to drink absenth. Ho-ly god. Almost twelve hours later and I still feel a bit fucked up.
Bar time was 2am, but the bartender let us stick around until 4am or so just talking, then he busted out some shumai. Mmm...I loves me some shumai. I exchanged contact information with some of the remaining patrons, one of which swore he was going to try to get me laid, dispite the fact I told him I had a girlfriend at home whom I love very much.

Getting back to the hotel was quite the adventure. Drunken cycling in a strange city always is. It should have been a quick 10 minute ride, but it turned into an hour. Had to stop and ask for directions twice. Again, the people I stopped to asked spoke little to no English, yet were very helpful. The only reason I had to stop twice was because I was a drunken idiot.

I might as well take a moment to construct a point or two, even though I know vissario will simply ignore them and pull something else out of his mother's lower intestines and put in on display for all of us to see.

Quote:
Ah yes, the fruit of Japanese state-sponsored propaganda, otherwise known as 'Anime'
Hollywood much?

Quote:
From the fact that they hate foreigners, impose huge tariffs on foreign goods, hate any liberal ideas (aside from capitalism) corrupting their nice, fascist state, and, oh yes, they still think China was the one who invaded them. Really, they are great people once you get past the fact that they really think you (and your culture) are trash. kekeke u give soj???
All you did was re-hash your point of view. The question was where did you get this information. Silly question, I know.

Quote:
Ah, so that is why they set up so many immigration restrictions! They are an inclusive, accepting people!
Simply walking into the country got me a three month tourist visa. If I wanted to stay longer, all I'd need to do is get a job and I'd get a work visa. The days of Japan having it's doors closed to forigners are long gone. :up:

Now then, if you could just re-state all the trite bullshit you've given us thus far, that would be great. I'd hate for you to go and suprise everyone with a well thought out response that was based in our current reality.

P.S. Whoever disabled the thumbs up and thumbs down emotes, fuck you, bring them back.
Ma-Newer
League of Super Sluts

It all became very clear to me sitting out there today that every decision Iĺve ever made in my entire life has been wrong.

Ballkicks: (+1024 / -49)
Reg. Date: Sep 2003
Reply 24 of 40 (Originally posted on: 04-14-07 02:57:58 AM)

Quoted from Arnok:
I exchanged contact information with some of the remaining patrons, one of which swore he was going to try to get me laid, dispite the fact I told him I had a girlfriend at home whom I love very much.
Dude don't think of it as cheating on your girlfriend. Think of it as a once in a lifetime opportunity to get fully immersed into a foreign culture. See? You'd be stupid NOT to do it!
Never argue with stupid people. They will drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 2 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 3595 | Total Posts: 40 ]