Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Site Comments > Archives > Archived Forums > Linux Corner: computers for something other than windows? WHAT > Grand Theft Auto IV, bitches! > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest.
Page: [ 1 2 3 ] [ Thread Views: 6249 | Total Posts: 66 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
ba
INTL Premium Member
Captain of the Cool Kids

and i said, a\re you a gay ass fucker who can't take a baseball up the ass you faggot???? and he said yes........

Ballkicks: (+456 / -62)
Reg. Date: Apr 2003
(Originally posted on: 04-08-07 02:25:27 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

I only ever had one complaint about the GTA series: the graphics always sucked compared to other games out at the time.

This problem seems to be remedied.

I heard a rumor before that Sony lost Rockstar and that this will be a 360 exclusive, conferm/deny? (I only have a 360 so this is important)
~British[/whisper] Agent
[whisper].___.
{O,o} O RLY?
/)__)
-"-"-
Links: Penny Arcade, YTMND, Something Awful.
ba
INTL Premium Member
Captain of the Cool Kids

and i said, a\re you a gay ass fucker who can't take a baseball up the ass you faggot???? and he said yes........

Reply 1 of 66 (Originally posted on: 04-08-07 02:35:13 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

On a similar note:

Quoted from wikipedia:
The American attorney and anti-obscenity activist Jack Thompson has sent a message, entitled “Bill Gates in the Crosshairs," to various news outlets vowing to rally against the release of Grand Theft Auto IV for Xbox 360. He cited a December 2006 report from the Interfaith Center on Corporate Responsibility that indicates progress has been made to keep mature-rated games out of children's hands, but that further efforts need to be taken to ensure inappropriate content is held from minors.

Thompson said that he would “undertake various means to prohibit” the sale of GTA IV to minors, and told Gates “Please have your lawyers contact me in order that such sales will be prevented.”

He also said that the ICCR report “makes it abundantly clear that unless such prohibitions are in place, then millions of units of the new Grand Theft Auto game will be sold directly to minors.” He continued, “I am quite intent upon making sure that does not happen. I and others will endeavor to stop Microsoft from participating in any fashion, directly or indirectly, in such sales to minors.”

Thompson's campaign seems to be solely focused on the Xbox 360 release of the game, making no mention of the PS3 version at all.

On 16 March 2007, Take Two Interactive filed a lawsuit against Thompson in attempt to block him from trying to declare the games a public nuisance.

Discuss.
~British[/whisper] Agent
[whisper].___.
{O,o} O RLY?
/)__)
-"-"-
TheShadowDawn
Cautiously optimistic

Draggy

Ballkicks: (+82 / -11)
Reg. Date: Apr 2002
Reply 2 of 66 (Originally posted on: 04-08-07 05:24:20 PM)

Jack Thompson continues to be a moron who doesn't serve any purpose except for the occasional, highly amusing, updates on Penny Arcade. He lacks any sophistication or basis for his arguments (bar citing irrelevant, flawed, or inconclusive studies) with his criticism of violent games, so essentially, he's just a ranting ideologue. Any media penetration he achieves is not going to change anyone's mind - it's simply going to confirm what people already believe, be it that games are innocent or that they are responsible for all the evil in the world.

So yeah, so surprise, no biggie.

As for the trailer...odd presentation for debuting a GTA game. Little trumpet fanfare for the big apple of Liberty City, no guns, nothing out of the usual, really. Except our highly shady slavic sounding character who cannot possibly be a protagonist to empathise with if he "smuggled people, sold people". So that's weird.

But I'm guessing it's mostly just a teaser to highlight graphics. Which do look pretty. And which, by the time San Andreas rolled around, were really lagging behind other games despite some polishing up. I honestly worry about what sort of PC power would be needed (when the game eventually lands on PC) to produce graphics detail such as is shown in that video. So I don't think it's representative, to be honest. At least, of what an eventual PC version could do.
You live and learn. At any rate, you live.
antpocas
"Sex is not dating."
"If it were, Santana and I would be dating.

GLEEK

Ballkicks: (+414 / -233)
Reg. Date: May 2002
Reply 3 of 66 (Originally posted on: 04-09-07 12:12:09 AM)

Quoted from British Agent:

I heard a rumor before that Sony lost Rockstar and that this will be a 360 exclusive, conferm/deny? (I only have a 360 so this is important)

Deny. They will have a simultaneous release MAGUSMAGUSMAGUSMAGUS
I wish it was a PS3 exclusive tho vvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
Shadowe

I kinda want to see that up someone's ass

Ballkicks: (+90 / -84)
Reg. Date: Dec 2004
Reply 4 of 66 (Originally posted on: 04-09-07 03:35:08 AM)

I was impressed until I noticed that the game is suffering from severe next-gen Shazamitis.
If there's something wrong, those who have the ability to take action have the responsibility to take action.
mmac
INTL Premium Member
it's INTL, not the fucking UN - Amphy

3ms will rise again

Ballkicks: (+254 / -35)
Reg. Date: Feb 2005
Reply 5 of 66 (Originally posted on: 04-09-07 12:25:45 PM)

Because if it were only released on the PS3 watching rockstar take a huge financial loss would be cool.
An atom walks into a bar looking very depressed.
Bartender: What's wrong?
Atom: I've just lost an electron.
Bartender: Are you sure?
Atom: Yeah, I'm positive.
Bon

Village Idiot

Ballkicks: (+162 / -84)
Reg. Date: Sep 2002
Reply 6 of 66 (Originally posted on: 04-10-07 04:19:54 AM)

I feel disappointed. Was anyone else hoping for a GTA set in modern day Russia? Now that'd fucking rule. Russian mafia style.
“Was der Tod der Elf einmal bedeuten wird, vermögen heute nur wenige zu ahnen — noch weniger kann ich darüber schreiben. Wir stehen mitten in einer grossen Zeitenwende. Was wir alle durchmachen sind ihre Geburtswehen. Alles scheint negativ — und einmal wird dann doch Neues and Grosses geboren werden....”
goatsnacks
Administrators

"When I decide to brush (maybe once a week)" -Snook, INTL's #1 Scrub

Ballkicks: (+512 / -167)
Reg. Date: Feb 2004
Reply 7 of 66 (Originally posted on: 04-10-07 07:53:43 AM)

I have a feeling the main character is a once bad egg who's now a cop. You play as him with free rain and no restrictions in fighting the forces of evil (or whatever). We'll see what really happens I suppose.

Never really liked the other GTA's. They were fun for a little but since it was so open ended the story seemed to just float and not grab me. Another game like this would be Oblivion (Not content wise, of course). I hope there is a clearer narrative and more at stake than simply getting killed...maybe a love interest or family or something. Funny how such a adult game has plenty a' room to grow up (cinematically speaking).
Its like watching tv except its a show about wet clothes.
antpocas
"Sex is not dating."
"If it were, Santana and I would be dating.

GLEEK

Ballkicks: (+414 / -233)
Reg. Date: May 2002
Reply 8 of 66 (Originally posted on: 04-12-07 12:15:11 PM)

Quoted from mmac:
Because if it were only released on the PS3 watching rockstar take a huge financial loss would be cool.
what the fuck is wrong with you fucking people you talk as if the ps3 has sold a grand total of 4 systems jesus fucking christ i'm going to laugh in all your dumb faces when it fucking crushes the 360 :nerdrage:
Ryan
Big Sausage Pizza

From west philadelphia born and raised on the playground it's said I spent most of my days

Ballkicks: (+64 / -17)
Reg. Date: Nov 2006
Reply 9 of 66 (Originally posted on: 04-12-07 12:18:08 PM)

Realistically, if you bought a PS3, you could dump Gentoo on it or something and use it as a computer. It's probably a much better, and a much cheaper desktop than you currently own. That said, I still can't afford to blow $1000 on a console. MAGUSMAGUSMAGUSMAGUS
goatsnacks
Administrators

"When I decide to brush (maybe once a week)" -Snook, INTL's #1 Scrub

Ballkicks: (+512 / -167)
Reg. Date: Feb 2004
Reply 10 of 66 (Originally posted on: 04-12-07 03:49:44 PM)

Quoted from antpocas:
Quoted from mmac:
what the fuck is wrong with you fucking people you talk as if the ps3 has sold a grand total of 4 systems jesus fucking christ i'm going to laugh in all your dumb faces when it fucking crushes the 360 :nerdrage:
Pretty much every title for PS3 is coming to 360, so really, whats the point? Its cheaper and plays the same games. I'm not much a fanboy but what I do like is not spending loads of cash on something that simply looks a little better. Well that and I don't have the money for an HD tv.

Either way from what I've read the Wii is outselling both the PS3 and XBox 360 in my area (and over much of the US).
Its like watching tv except its a show about wet clothes.
Jesuß
INTL Premium Member
Healing America by Beating People Up

It's "erroneous," you uptight fairy.

Ballkicks: (+137 / -34)
Reg. Date: Dec 2002
Reply 11 of 66 (Originally posted on: 04-12-07 06:59:47 PM)

Yes, but the Wii looks like shit warmed-over on an HDTV. Both the 360 and the PS3 look good, but I'll be leaning towards buying games on the PS3 as opposed to the 360. I actually think that the 360 has a better interface and whatnot, but it can't measure up to the power of the PS3 (as Resistance clearly shows).

That said, I'm not interested in GTA whatsoever unless this one is markedly different than the other ones... so I'll just go fuck off now.
drahnier
INTL VIP
:iceburn:

Ballkicks: (+886 / -232)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
Reply 12 of 66 (Originally posted on: 04-13-07 10:49:04 AM)

Quote:
I only ever had one complaint about the GTA series: the graphics always sucked compared to other games out at the time.

Well they had to adapt them for playstation 2 even after it was horribly outdated.

Still the graphics did suck ass, especially GTA 3s.
It looked like ten years old compared to other similar games that came around the same time. (Like Mafia, amazing game by the way)

I've been a GTA fan ever since i played the top-down ones on my parents computer though, and San Andreas is clearly one of my favourite games ever.
If i had a minor fortune to spend on a PS3 or a new computer i'd totally buy this.

I'd sort of prefer if they set it in the same cities as the previous ones though, rather than a new and (probably) much bigger one with the same name.
Like coming back to all the same places with new improved graphics and a new guy, that would be really nice.
DRAHNIER
This reply was last edited on 04-13-07 10:56:35 AM by drahnier.
Ryan
Big Sausage Pizza

From west philadelphia born and raised on the playground it's said I spent most of my days

Ballkicks: (+64 / -17)
Reg. Date: Nov 2006
Reply 13 of 66 (Originally posted on: 04-13-07 11:55:42 AM)

GTA: Liberty City was awesome. I loved running over the groups of monks. big grin
ba
INTL Premium Member
Captain of the Cool Kids

Reply 14 of 66 (Originally posted on: 04-13-07 01:37:59 PM)

I'll bet there are some of the same places from GTA 3 (and Liberty City Stories or whatever), and that they just added new places to make it bigger and to look more like New York.
~British[/whisper] Agent
[whisper].___.
{O,o} O RLY?
/)__)
-"-"-
Penn

Ballkicks: (+3 / -2)
Reg. Date: Aug 2006
Reply 15 of 66 (Originally posted on: 05-09-07 07:34:56 PM)

I'm looking forward to being able to play it in a few months and see how many of these "great new features" turn out to be BS and/or over-hyped.
IF0
Administrator

Hey, I was with Mary Magdalene last night....smell my finger lol

Ballkicks: (+621 / -173)
Reg. Date: Jul 2003
Reply 16 of 66 (Originally posted on: 05-09-07 11:23:47 PM)

Quoted from Penn:
I'm looking forward to being able to play it in a few months and see how many of these "great new features" turn out to be BS and/or over-hyped.

Thus far GTA has done a pretty good job of living upto its own hype.
Adopt a leggo my eggo ifo.
Penn

Ballkicks: (+3 / -2)
Reg. Date: Aug 2006
Reply 17 of 66 (Originally posted on: 05-10-07 01:10:11 PM)

It has, but I found this hidden away in my favourites: http://fivestarstuff.com/list.htm

It's a list of old confirmed features from San Andreas. Most of them are true, but theres alot of them that never really made it to the game, and many of them let on to being bigger than what they turned out to be, IMO.

Oh well, my standards must be too high.
Smokey
INTL Premium Member
fuck this title

funkle smokey

Ballkicks: (+845 / -114)
Reg. Date: Jun 2004
Reply 18 of 66 (Originally posted on: 05-13-07 08:19:35 PM)

Quoted from Penn:
It has, but I found this hidden away in my favourites: http://fivestarstuff.com/list.htm

It's a list of old confirmed features from San Andreas. Most of them are true, but theres alot of them that never really made it to the game, and many of them let on to being bigger than what they turned out to be, IMO.

Oh well, my standards must be too high.

This is the case with everything that is anticipated with excitement.
Sex
Smokey
INTL Premium Member
fuck this title

funkle smokey

Reply 19 of 66 (Originally posted on: 06-08-07 03:52:56 PM)

I've been playing Vice City Stories - when I got it the dude at the counter is like "this is the worse in the series" and he's wrong.

Liberty City Stories is the worse in the series.

VCS has Phil Collins i'm a serial-killer :)
Sex
Widukind
MARCHINTOCH SI 4 DA FAGZZZZ

M/F? No one knows

Ballkicks: (+126 / -166)
Reg. Date: May 2003
Reply 20 of 66 (Originally posted on: 06-08-07 05:19:04 PM)

meh, i would have liked a scenario change. San andreas was refreshing, an european city would be even more so.
atlas sighed (at me)
User is currently banned until further notice.

Reply 21 of 66 (Originally posted on: 06-09-07 10:57:20 AM)

Quote:
but (PS3) it can't measure up to the power of the PS3 (as Resistance clearly shows).

So I guess Gears of War never existed? Or how about Lost Planet? Because both of those titles showed that the graphics and phsysics engine of the PS3 doesn't outpace that of the 360 by even a marginal amount even considering it has a 25% higher floating point.

Sure, maybe in 3 years the difference will become more apparent as both systems max out, but even then it will be petty as the only difference will be slighlty less rendered doodads.
IF0
Administrator

Hey, I was with Mary Magdalene last night....smell my finger lol

Ballkicks: (+621 / -173)
Reg. Date: Jul 2003
Reply 22 of 66 (Originally posted on: 06-09-07 02:23:12 PM)

This isn't a PS3 vs. 360 vs. Wii vs. Atari thread.
PS3 wins.
Adopt a leggo my eggo ifo.
Smokey
INTL Premium Member
fuck this title

funkle smokey

Reply 23 of 66 (Originally posted on: 06-13-07 10:50:51 PM)

Quoted from Widukind:
meh, i would have liked a scenario change. San andreas was refreshing, an european city would be even more so.

Setting and scenario are two completely different things.

And yeah I'd rather keep on revisiting the same cities over and over. They are great cities that can be expanded on and we are familiar with all their characters on and off camera. Part of its continuing appeal to me is the revisiting of characters and a sort of indirect continuation of their stories in a nifty non-chronological fashion.
Sex
This reply was last edited on 06-13-07 10:56:22 PM by Smokey.
drahnier
INTL VIP
:iceburn:

Ballkicks: (+886 / -232)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
Reply 24 of 66 (Originally posted on: 06-18-07 08:12:50 PM)

Quote:

Ha, yeah.

It advertizes the AI, which we all know turned out to be absolutely horrible like always.
It makes the shooting on the PC ridiculously easy as the enemies just run towards you on a big line when they're not repeatedly running into walls.

They should really have fixed the AI already, and if they don't improve it massively for GTA 4 it'll just be bad.

Quote:
I've been playing Vice City Stories - when I got it the dude at the counter is like "this is the worse in the series" and he's wrong.

Liberty City Stories is the worse in the series.

VCS has Phil Collins

I agree.

At least VCS looks a lot better than LCS, which is certainly no big accomplishment as LCS is the ugliest PS2 game i've ever played. (i suppose because it was made to be hand-held)

Also the radio is a lot better, of course, especially the music which was pretty crappy in LCS. (i believe most of it was home-made for the game)
DRAHNIER
This reply was last edited on 06-18-07 08:19:13 PM by drahnier.
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 2 3 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 6249 | Total Posts: 66 ]