Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Site Comments > Archives > Archived Forums > Linux Corner: computers for something other than windows? WHAT > File Transfer > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest.
Page: [ 1 ] [ Thread Views: 1705 | Total Posts: 16 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
pl0x

now you're redundant if you say anything

Ballkicks: (+29 / -16)
Reg. Date: Jan 2007
(Originally posted on: 03-24-07 06:07:13 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

Okay so I need to do some file tranfering PC to PC.
I'm moving some files to a friend and the size of the files makes it impossible to email, and all remote access software has been troublesome, since you have to buy a subscription to transfer things.
i'll be moving some documents, but mostly movies and other media.
I need an easy program like CC File Transfer, but i'm poor so i would prefer a free program, or one i can uninstall and reinstall trials.

Help is MUCH appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

~Grim
~~make a s/n and get on the game, and i'll kill you till you get better at it.~~
~~well...you could have taken 2x2=your mama... or 1% of nothingx your mama~~
~~it would be funny if there was an actual asian kid in class there & thats how u refered 2 him, and he gave out back rubs for some odd reason~~
etymxris
INTL Developer

JUST AS PLANNED

Ballkicks: (+179 / -16)
Reg. Date: Jun 2004
Reply 1 of 16 (Originally posted on: 03-24-07 06:12:45 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

Your best bet is FTP. Filezilla works fine, and is free. Filezilla contains both a server and a client. The machine running the server should be connected directly to the internet; i.e., not through a NAT. If both of you are behind NATs, then the one running the server should have the appropriate ports forwarded from his/her router to his/her machine.
pl0x

Reply 2 of 16 (Originally posted on: 03-24-07 06:27:03 PM)

how would i get passed NATs if the problem arised?
~~make a s/n and get on the game, and i'll kill you till you get better at it.~~
~~it would be funny if there was an actual asian kid in class there & thats how u refered 2 him, and he gave out back rubs for some odd reason~~
mmac
INTL Premium Member
it's INTL, not the fucking UN - Amphy

3ms will rise again

Ballkicks: (+254 / -35)
Reg. Date: Feb 2005
Reply 3 of 16 (Originally posted on: 03-25-07 10:39:47 AM)

Use an ext HD, by far the easiest way.
An atom walks into a bar looking very depressed.
Bartender: What's wrong?
Atom: I've just lost an electron.
Bartender: Are you sure?
Atom: Yeah, I'm positive.
Sunn O)))
INTL Alumni
14 year RP master

Zan-beef

Ballkicks: (+761 / -127)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
Reply 4 of 16 (Originally posted on: 03-25-07 02:16:21 PM)

Quoted from mmac:
Use an ext HD, by far the easiest way.

I was just about to say that.

If not, are you unable to use services such as www.sendspace.com ?
pl0x

Reply 5 of 16 (Originally posted on: 03-25-07 03:31:00 PM)

I'm not quite sure what you mean by ext HD. An external harddrive? if so, that's completely out of the question, he lives in another state.

sendspace only allows up to 300megs, and the movie files i have are at least 600.

I also want a few other friends to be able to receive these files.

And i'm having the worst time trying to figure out how to use filezilla.
=(
Sunn O)))
INTL Alumni
14 year RP master

Zan-beef

Reply 6 of 16 (Originally posted on: 03-25-07 03:33:10 PM)

Why not split the files into 300MB chunks and then upload them using that service? If it's 600MB, it shouldn't take more than two or three chunks.
pl0x

Reply 7 of 16 (Originally posted on: 03-25-07 04:09:28 PM)

because not all of them are that low, and i really don't want to go through the trouble of having to break up different stuff, considering the main reason i'm transfering these is because of low hard drive space.
and to copy and delete half of one is still sucking up much needed space.
and then there is upload time.
etymxris
INTL Developer

JUST AS PLANNED

Reply 8 of 16 (Originally posted on: 03-25-07 04:28:49 PM)

Bittorrent may be overkill for something like this, but if you have many gibibytes of files then it might be a good idea. The main reason to use Bittorrent is that you can stop and resume it as many times as you want. You still have to solve the NAT issue though.

For getting around a NAT, it really depends on the exact brand and model of router you're using.
Sunn O)))
INTL Alumni
14 year RP master

Zan-beef

Reply 9 of 16 (Originally posted on: 03-25-07 09:38:41 PM)

Why not just burn it to a CD/DVD and then send it through mail to your friend?
pl0x

Reply 10 of 16 (Originally posted on: 03-25-07 10:16:15 PM)

i use nero to burn stuff, and either i'm not doing it right or something is wrong, because on videos it takes as long as the movie is to finish it.

and i wanted to get some experience with an ftp or some type of upload/download thing because i'm going to set up a website with featured media included in it.
D
Administrator

i didn't have the strength to get it all the way off

Ballkicks: (+1950 / -91)
Reply 11 of 16 (Originally posted on: 03-26-07 12:07:28 AM)

I don't want to sound like a noob, but AIM always works fine for me. My friends and I use it all the time to send files.
"They could have grown up to become Hitler....collectively." - Ztolk's creepy Flash man
FISHMANPET

Fishmanpet, son of Manbearpig and Girlfishpet

Ballkicks: (+102 / -63)
Reg. Date: May 2002
Reply 12 of 16 (Originally posted on: 03-26-07 03:01:35 AM)

Quoted from gr1m:
i use nero to burn stuff, and either i'm not doing it right or something is wrong, because on videos it takes as long as the movie is to finish it.

and i wanted to get some experience with an ftp or some type of upload/download thing because i'm going to set up a website with featured media included in it.

If you burn it as a video DVD, it has to encode the file before it can burn it. If you burn it as straight data disc, it doesn't encode.
the best thing about high school girls... every year im a little older, but every year they stay the same age. - NNY
Get the sand out of your vagina man. - Wild Bill
When Soccy talks about Star Trek, it's cute. For you, it just makes me picture you in an elaborate suit with a plastic "phaser" propositioning young girls at phaser-point. - Dani
What a bunch of idiots Andy. One day, you'll be their boss. - JamesMartigo
FMP writes erotic stories better than anyone else I know. - Socrateius
pl0x

Reply 13 of 16 (Originally posted on: 03-28-07 10:53:24 PM)

Dimi, first off, my respect is automatic for you, despite the fact that i don't know you, because you are a moderator and as far as i know, are well liked.

but i am talking about an at least 600meg file.
we both have broadband, but that's still a HUGE file to send even over aim.
it'd take forever....
etymxris
INTL Developer

JUST AS PLANNED

Reply 14 of 16 (Originally posted on: 03-29-07 01:41:49 AM)

Quoted from gr1m:
Dimi, first off, my respect is automatic for you, despite the fact that i don't know you, because you are a moderator and as far as i know, are well liked.

but i am talking about an at least 600meg file.
we both have broadband, but that's still a HUGE file to send even over aim.
it'd take forever....

Well, none of us here can magically make your internet connection faster, unless you mean that AIM transfers are throttled slower than other means of transferring files.
D
Administrator

i didn't have the strength to get it all the way off

Ballkicks: (+1950 / -91)
Reply 15 of 16 (Originally posted on: 03-29-07 10:46:25 AM)

I'll usually send bigger files overnight. Or before I go out. Or even if you just leave them in the background while you're doing other stuff on the internet, it doesn't really get in the way much. Only problem would be if either of you have problems where you randomly get kicked offline. But even then, AIM usually picks up the download where it left off.
"They could have grown up to become Hitler....collectively." - Ztolk's creepy Flash man
pl0x

Reply 16 of 16 (Originally posted on: 03-30-07 10:34:13 PM)

Well, thank you all.
i think i'll be attempting to figure out how to use filezilla, and go from there.

thanks again for all your help.
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 1705 | Total Posts: 16 ]