Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Discussion Forums > The "Song A Day" Thread Forum > Jesus' tomb... found? > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest. Moderated by: D drahnier
Page: [ 1 2 3 ] [ Thread Views: 4707 | Total Posts: 58 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
Sunn O)))
INTL Alumni
14 year RP master

Zan-beef

Ballkicks: (+761 / -127)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
(Originally posted on: 02-25-07 08:34:49 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

http://dsc.discovery.com/news/2007/02/25/tomb_arc.html?category=archaeology&guid=20070225073000
thoughts?

While it seems convincing, I doubt many denominations will accept it.
Yogi
INTL Premium Member
The Hero of Canton

check out my color filters

Ballkicks: (+129 / -58)
Reg. Date: Mar 2003
Reply 1 of 58 (Originally posted on: 02-25-07 08:37:36 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

I thought they knew already where it was...
http://www.thebigdealshow.com/
Mr Excitable
INTL Premium Member
My girlfriend is the Michelin Man

Ballkicks: (+514 / -60)
Reg. Date: Jan 2003
Reply 2 of 58 (Originally posted on: 02-25-07 08:47:18 PM)

yes and no. There was been a few sites linked to being Jesus tomb however with anything related to the bible, storys/facts have been changed and anything has to be taken with a grain of salt.
emtilt

the cow of horses

Ballkicks: (+486 / -41)
Reply 3 of 58 (Originally posted on: 02-25-07 09:02:17 PM)

Quoted from Sunny:

They couldn't. It contradicts the doctrine of resurrection and ascension, and that is central to Christianity.

The article is convincing, but sparse on details. Do you know if the team has published its findings anywhere (ie a journal or something)?
For now we see through a glass, darkly, but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.
Sunn O)))
INTL Alumni
14 year RP master

Zan-beef

Ballkicks: (+761 / -127)
Reply 4 of 58 (Originally posted on: 02-25-07 09:12:54 PM)

Quoted from emtilt:
Quoted from Sunny:

They couldn't. It contradicts the doctrine of resurrection and ascension, and that is central to Christianity.

The article is convincing, but sparse on details. Do you know if the team has published its findings anywhere (ie a journal or something)?

I've been looking, nothing found yet. Their sources check out though.

I'm also slightly unconvinced by their arguments towards resurrection, but ascension has been argued to be spiritual not physical.

I'm pretty sure though that such things can be argued away with enough doctrine, the idea Jesus had a child with Mary Magdalene would upset most denominations more.
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

gotta get that VICTORY ROYALE #gamer #memes #LoL

Ballkicks: (+1782 / -130)
Reply 5 of 58 (Originally posted on: 02-25-07 09:20:36 PM)

How would you DNA test for Jesus?

It seems like this is based off of the evidence of the names and not much else. While it seems pretty unlikely that a family would exist with the same names as the Bible's family, it's not impossible.

Quote:
The study concludes that the odds are at least 600 to 1 in favor of the Talpiot Tomb being the Jesus Family Tomb. In other words, the conclusion works 599 times out of 600.

Those seem like pretty good odds, but if you actually read how he got the numbers, it seems pretty meaningless.

I'm going to reserve my judgement until I see the documentary.
KaosDeath
INTL Premium Member

literally believes that communism works

Ballkicks: (+70 / -32)
Reg. Date: Aug 2006
Reply 6 of 58 (Originally posted on: 02-25-07 09:25:50 PM)

Quoted from ice:

I can only assume the DNA test will be based off the DNA removed from the shroud of Turin.
Do not click here
Angus

D'oh!

Ballkicks: (+621 / -84)
Reg. Date: Jun 2004
Reply 7 of 58 (Originally posted on: 02-25-07 09:30:40 PM)

I've always heard the point that the names are very common. It would be similar to seeing a tombstone that said "Here lies Brad, son of William, his wife Kristen," etc. So it probably won't change very much about Christianity.
emtilt

the cow of horses

Ballkicks: (+486 / -41)
Reply 8 of 58 (Originally posted on: 02-25-07 09:39:53 PM)

Quoted from Sunny:
ascension has been argued to be spiritual not physical.
True, but I don't know of any major denomination or Church that teaches that. Further, it is a little bit of a stretch in light of how it is discussed in context throughout the New Testament.

Quote:
I'm pretty sure though that such things can be argued away with enough doctrine...

Indeed most things can be argued away, but only by relying wordings that can be construed as vague. Also, it would call into question a great deal of the doctrines of churches such as Roman Catholicism and various Orthodoxies that have not only based teachings on the bodily ascension but have also asserted the value of Christian tradition as an authoritative way of evaluating both the bible itself and resulting doctrine.

It would be very difficult for most of the major Christian churches to give up bodily ascension.

Quoted from ice:

The article is vague, but I gathered that they only used that for comparative purposes among the remains in the tomb, such as to see whether the remains they identify as Mary Magdalene and Jesus were related or not.

Quote:
Those seem like pretty good odds, but if you actually read how he got the numbers, it seems pretty meaningless.

Yeah, it was kinda sketchy, but there isn't really any way of evaluating their method because a number of key details and sources aren't given in the article.

Quote:
I'm going to reserve my judgement until I see the documentary.

Yep. There aren't nearly enough details in that article or the accompanying website.
For now we see through a glass, darkly, but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.
Xiphias

Ballkicks: (+4 / -4)
Reg. Date: Feb 2007
Reply 9 of 58 (Originally posted on: 02-25-07 09:47:03 PM)

Jesus is obviously buried under the Arc de Triomphe, and Mary is obviously under that glass pyramid in du Musée du Louvre.

Seriously, why are you even asking where they are buried, you know I'm right!!
Snowy
INTL Premium Member

i always try to make a statement with my fashion...thats why today i wore a crop top with a pic of richard nixon captioned: growl at sweat

Ballkicks: (+899 / -313)
Reg. Date: Feb 2005
Reply 10 of 58 (Originally posted on: 02-25-07 09:55:24 PM)

Quoted from KaosDeath:
Quoted from ice:

I can only assume the DNA test will be based off the DNA removed from the shroud of Turin.

Ahahaha that's gotta be a joke, right? There's no way that shroud is authentic, especially since the person depicted fits a medieval view of Jesus not a historically accurate one, seeing as jesus was a jew and wouldnt have looked at all like oh say...a skinny norman...;p
She does it all the time
Making mistakes and then I'll ease her mind
atlas sighed (at me)
User is currently banned until further notice.

Reply 11 of 58 (Originally posted on: 02-25-07 10:16:39 PM)

Quote:
seeing as jesus was a jew and

All Jews have common identifying characteristics?
Learn u Somethin' @ Jewwatch.com
Zippo
pooooooop

Leveling entire cities with her magnificient girl-cock

Ballkicks: (+1097 / -49)
Reg. Date: Nov 2002
Reply 12 of 58 (Originally posted on: 02-25-07 10:29:40 PM)

Genetically speaking, yes.
Quoted from José Rizal:
I've always heard the point that the names are very common. It would be similar to seeing a tombstone that said "Here lies Brad, son of William, his wife Kristen," etc. So it probably won't change very much about Christianity.

This is correct.

Actually, a few years ago an ossuary was found that bore the epitaph "James, Son of Joseph, Brother of Jesus," which was quite remarkable but turned out to be a hoax.

Basically there is no solid proof as of yet, but I am pretty interested in this film.
animatedcardigan: your nose is sexy
animatedcardigan: i just want sex
animatedcardigan: i thought cunterhosen was you getting a brain tumour in a bad place

Apprenticed under Kage-STFU the art of bujutsu
"It is in Men that we must place our hope." - Gandalf the Grey
KaosDeath
INTL Premium Member

Reply 13 of 58 (Originally posted on: 02-25-07 10:31:45 PM)

Quoted from vissario.:
Quote:
seeing as jesus was a jew and

All Jews have common identifying characteristics?

Snowy's right...Jesus had hair of lambs wool...Which means that unless Jesus got a gerry curl back in the day, he would have a nappy head of hair.
Do not click here
atlas sighed (at me)

Reply 14 of 58 (Originally posted on: 02-25-07 10:35:41 PM)

Quote:

So that's why Jews in Russia have blond hair and freckles while Jews in Palestine have golden skin, brown eyes, and dark hair while Jews in New York have fair skin, brown hair, and brown eyes!

But really, were you just pulling that statement out of your ass or do you have anything to refer it too? Say, an academic essay or study, not Nazi or Iranian propaganda leaflets?

EDIT:

Quote:
Which means that unless Jesus got a gerry curl back in the day, he would have a nappy head of hair

Were you alive 2,000 years ago KaosDeath?
IF0
Administrator

Hey, I was with Mary Magdalene last night....smell my finger lol

Ballkicks: (+621 / -173)
Reg. Date: Jul 2003
Reply 15 of 58 (Originally posted on: 02-25-07 10:44:58 PM)

If I'm not mistaken, modern day Palestinians were originally Scythians in northeastern Asia anyhow. kekeke u give soj??? But that's off-topic, as it were, really, and just playing into Vissario's obsession with being a pain in the ass.
Adopt a leggo my eggo ifo.
KaosDeath
INTL Premium Member

Reply 16 of 58 (Originally posted on: 02-25-07 10:46:24 PM)

Quoted from vissario:
Quote:

So that's why Jews in Russia have blond hair and freckles while Jews in Palestine have golden skin, brown eyes, and dark hair while Jews in New York have fair skin, brown hair, and brown eyes!

But really, were you just pulling that statement out of your ass or do you have anything to refer it too? Say, an academic essay or study, not Nazi or Iranian propaganda leaflets?

Genetic Marker

Quote:
Which means that unless Jesus got a gerry curl back in the day, he would have a nappy head of hair

Quoted from vissario:
Were you alive 2,000 years ago KaosDeath?

Actually I was...My name was James. I buried my brother. And I have returned.
Do not click here
This reply was last edited on 02-25-07 10:51:30 PM by KaosDeath.
Zippo
pooooooop

Reply 17 of 58 (Originally posted on: 02-25-07 10:48:24 PM)

Quoted from vissario.:
Quote:

Take your pick:

http://www.med.nyu.edu/pediatrics/genetics/research/jewish_origins.html
http://www.sdss.jhu.edu/~ethan/jFAQ.html
http://www.simpletoremember.com/vitals/jewish-genetics.htm
http://www.khazaria.com/genetics/abstracts.html
http://foundationstone.com.au/HtmlSupport/WebPage/semiticGenetics.html

Phenotype does not always denote genotype... dumbass learn u some stuff ok??
animatedcardigan: i thought cunterhosen was you getting a brain tumour in a bad place

atlas sighed (at me)

Reply 18 of 58 (Originally posted on: 02-25-07 11:00:07 PM)

Quote:
Actually I was...My name was James. I buried my brother. And I have returned.

Great use of flippant humor to play off the fact that YOU DON'T KNOW JACK-SHIT ABOUT WHAT JESUS LOOKED LIKE BECAUSE, OMG!OMG!OMG, YOU, LIKE US ALL, WEREN'T AROUND 2,000 YEARS AGO.

Quote:
Phenotype does not always denote genotype...

Touche to your sources, but that still does not rebuke my fundamental argument against snowy in post 11. She claimed that Jesus could not have been a person with straight hair because all Jewish people do not have straight hair, an assumption based upon racial bias. As has been shown millions of times already, an alarming number of Jewish people do have straight hair, and according to your sources which cite the initial immigrantion from Palestine as the hearth of most "Jewish Genes", it is a fair assumption to say that many Jews during that period in that area did have straight hair.

You are right, but she is wrong.
Snowy
INTL Premium Member

i always try to make a statement with my fashion...thats why today i wore a crop top with a pic of richard nixon captioned: growl at sweat

Ballkicks: (+899 / -313)
Reg. Date: Feb 2005
Reply 19 of 58 (Originally posted on: 02-25-07 11:06:03 PM)

Quoted from vissario.:

Touche to your sources, but that still does not rebuke my fundamental argument against snowy in post 11. She claimed that Jesus could not have been a person with straight hair because all Jewish people do not have straight hair, an assumption based upon racial bias. As has been shown millions of times already, an alarming number of Jewish people do have straight hair, and according to your sources which cite the initial immigrantion from Palestine as the hearth of most "Jewish Genes", it is a fair assumption to say that many Jews during that period in that area did have straight hair.

You are right, but she is wrong.

I didnt say annnnything about his hair, that was you guys. I was thinking more about that small, aqualine nose, thin lips and high cheekbones..not really physical characteristics of someone typically jewish. Looks far more like a dead European dude.
She does it all the time
Making mistakes and then I'll ease her mind
Mr Excitable
INTL Premium Member

Reply 20 of 58 (Originally posted on: 02-25-07 11:08:33 PM)

wow this went down the shitter fast once again...

There was a chance jesus was a white guy
For our own arguements sake chances are jesus was an arab. Due to the fact if he was a real person born into an arab country....there is a good to excellent chance he was an arab.

fuck does everything have to degrade all the time around here.
This reply was last edited on 02-25-07 11:16:06 PM by Mr Excitable.
Zippo
pooooooop

Reply 21 of 58 (Originally posted on: 02-25-07 11:14:11 PM)

vissario, what is your source for Jews having straight hair?

I can speak from experience that the majority of semitic people I know, including my own family, have curly or wavy hair. And I am purely semitic.

Amphytrite
Hard for Drah

I don't really even like hearing about it or reading about it

Ballkicks: (+1869 / -83)
Reg. Date: Apr 2004
Reply 22 of 58 (Originally posted on: 02-25-07 11:17:56 PM)

Quoted from vissario.:
As has been shown millions of times already, an alarming number of Jewish people do have straight hair

I'm quite alarmed to hear this! The sale of hair straighteners is plummeting as I type this! Oh no!
i am raising my eyebrow
Mr Excitable
INTL Premium Member

Reply 23 of 58 (Originally posted on: 02-25-07 11:18:59 PM)

Quoted from Ampitheatre:
Quoted from vissario.:
As has been shown millions of times already, an alarming number of Jewish people do have straight hair

I'm quite alarmed to hear this! The sale of hair straighteners is plummeting as I type this! Oh no!

its a fucking conspiracy. The hair dressers of the world are in league with the zionists in a plot to control the salons of the world.
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

gotta get that VICTORY ROYALE #gamer #memes #LoL

Ballkicks: (+1782 / -130)
Reply 24 of 58 (Originally posted on: 02-25-07 11:27:56 PM)

vissario can get mad about anything
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 2 3 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 4707 | Total Posts: 58 ]