Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Site Comments > Archives > Archived Forums > Pretension Palace: i don't like that band because you've heard of them > Epic Music Battles - Round 1 > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest. Moderated by: Amphytrite
Page: [ 1 2 ] [ Thread Views: 2869 | Total Posts: 26 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Subscribe To Thread
please only vote for ONE PER PAIR and DO NOT VOTE FOR THE BLANK OPTIONS
This poll has expired.
Billy Joel vs. 17 votes, 9.29%
Elton John 9 votes, 4.918%
-- 0 votes, 0%
Bob Dylan vs. 17 votes, 9.29%
David Bowie 9 votes, 4.918%
-- 0 votes, 0%
Led Zeppelin vs. 12 votes, 6.557%
Pink Floyd 15 votes, 8.197%
-- 0 votes, 0%
The Beatles vs. 20 votes, 10.929%
The Rolling Stones 6 votes, 3.279%
-- 0 votes, 0%
George Harrison vs. 13 votes, 7.104%
Eric Clapton 12 votes, 6.557%
-- 0 votes, 0%
John Lennon vs. 19 votes, 10.383%
Paul McCartney 7 votes, 3.825%
-- 0 votes, 0%
Queen vs. 17 votes, 9.29%
The Who 10 votes, 5.464%
Totals: 183 votes, 103.058%
Modify Poll
D
Administrator

i didn't have the strength to get it all the way off

Ballkicks: (+1950 / -91)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
(Originally posted on: 02-23-07 04:51:28 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

A couple years ago I had a little Musician Battle in my AIM profile where I came up with a bunch of match-ups I thought would make for good battles. Then every one voted. A lot of these turned out to be pretty epic (well, as epic as a AIM profile-poll can get). So I thought i'd bring the voting here.

Please vote for everything unless you honestly feel like you don't know enough of either to judge. But if you're thinking "they're just both too good (or bad?), I can't choose one," then please choose one. Thats the whole point.

VOTE FOR ONLY ONE ARTIST PER PAIR

As you can see, i've paired off the artists, only vote for one per pair. If you like them both equally, and can't decide: decide anyway. Pick one.

Also please don't vote for the blank options, not that it will make a difference but they'll confuse me when i'm counting up the results and theres no real reason to do it.

I've got more match-ups that didn't fit in this poll, so i'll post them some other time.
"They could have grown up to become Hitler....collectively." - Ztolk's creepy Flash man
Amphytrite
Hard for Drah

I don't really even like hearing about it or reading about it

Ballkicks: (+1869 / -83)
Reg. Date: Apr 2004
Reply 1 of 26 (Originally posted on: 02-23-07 05:49:04 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

Queen all the way.
i am raising my eyebrow
D
Administrator

Reply 2 of 26 (Originally posted on: 02-23-07 05:57:57 PM)

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, you should probably post your picks so that people can tell you how wrong you are and there can be some discussion with this.. Here are my picks:

Billy Joel vs. <<<
Elton John
--
Bob Dylan vs. <<<
David Bowie
--
Led Zeppelin vs.
Pink Floyd <<<
--
The Beatles vs. <<<
The Rolling Stones
--
George Harrison vs. <<<
Eric Clapton
--
John Lennon vs.
Paul McCartney <<<
--
Queen vs.
The Who <<<
"They could have grown up to become Hitler....collectively." - Ztolk's creepy Flash man
Sunn O)))
INTL Alumni
14 year RP master

Zan-beef

Ballkicks: (+761 / -127)
Reply 3 of 26 (Originally posted on: 02-23-07 05:58:52 PM)

would be nice if it wasn't all 60s to 80s rock
emtilt

the cow of horses

Ballkicks: (+486 / -41)
Reply 4 of 26 (Originally posted on: 02-23-07 06:04:01 PM)

Quoted from Sunny:
would be nice if it wasn't all 60s to 80s rock

Yeah. Pretty boring matchups, really.

Anyway...

Billy Joel vs. <<<
Elton John
--
Bob Dylan vs. <<<
David Bowie
--
Led Zeppelin vs. <<<
Pink Floyd
--
The Beatles vs. <<<
The Rolling Stones
--
George Harrison vs. <<<
Eric Clapton
--
John Lennon vs. <<<
Paul McCartney
--
Queen vs. <<<
The Who
For now we see through a glass, darkly, but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.
D
Administrator

Reply 5 of 26 (Originally posted on: 02-23-07 06:24:19 PM)

I picked huge-normous bands that everyone knows. Everyone knows these bands/artists (for the most part) and they're all hailed as being epic and influential musicians, so since everyone has heard them a good bit everyone is going to have an opinion.

If you want round two can include more match-ups like "The Ranging Revlover Story vs. Yesteryear's Beard Tour" and "The Incredible Muffin Factor vs. The Yarmukles" and "The Sandmen vs. Kevlar Sanctuary" and "Mule Story vs. Bosnian Signapore" and "Bel-Aire Bonanza vs. Bill Saratoga and the Palendromes" and "Perfect Paradox vs. Varied Villains" and "The Seventh Stage vs. Mountaintop" and "Ramirez vs. The Shingles" and "Hot Daddy and the Monkey Puppets vs. Jesse and the Ripers" and we can all scratch our chins and feel artsy.

I'm really sorry for that. I know one example was more than enough to get my point across, but making fake band names got fun and the rest were just for my own entertainment.

Feel free to come up with more, its fun!

Anyway, to come back from the tangent... The rest of the list includes more artists and they aren't all classic rock, so just keep in mind that the only reason they're not on here is because the poll option wasn't long enough.
Hoff
Lightnin' Hopkins

Helping a brother out.

Ballkicks: (+192 / -38)
Reg. Date: Jan 2006
Reply 6 of 26 (Originally posted on: 02-23-07 06:37:52 PM)

Billy Joel vs. <<<
Elton John
--
Bob Dylan vs. <<<
David Bowie
--
Led Zeppelin vs.<<<
Pink Floyd
--
The Beatles vs. <<<
The Rolling Stones
--
George Harrison vs. <<<
Eric Clapton
--
John Lennon vs.
Paul McCartney <<<
--
Queen vs.
The Who <<<
KaosDeath
INTL Premium Member

literally believes that communism works

Ballkicks: (+70 / -32)
Reg. Date: Aug 2006
Reply 7 of 26 (Originally posted on: 02-23-07 07:31:56 PM)

Billy Joel vs. <<<
Elton John
--
Bob Dylan vs. <<<
David Bowie
--
Led Zeppelin vs.
Pink Floyd <<< This one was a hard one
--
The Beatles vs.
The Rolling Stones <<<
--
George Harrison vs.
Eric Clapton <<<
--
John Lennon vs.
Paul McCartney <<<
--
Queen vs.
The Who <<<
Do not click here
emtilt

the cow of horses

Reply 8 of 26 (Originally posted on: 02-23-07 07:38:49 PM)

I'm surprised that Harrison is so far ahead of Clapton.
For now we see through a glass, darkly, but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.
D
Administrator

Reply 9 of 26 (Originally posted on: 02-23-07 08:28:48 PM)

Me too. Personally I prefer Harrison but when I had this poll going before, it was a real close race I think Clapton ended up ahead.
Sunn O)))
INTL Alumni
14 year RP master

Zan-beef

Ballkicks: (+761 / -127)
Reply 10 of 26 (Originally posted on: 02-23-07 09:14:23 PM)

Quoted from Dimi:
I picked huge-normous bands that everyone knows. Everyone knows these bands/artists (for the most part) and they're all hailed as being epic and influential musicians, so since everyone has heard them a good bit everyone is going to have an opinion.

If you want round two can include more match-ups like "The Ranging Revlover Story vs. Yesteryear's Beard Tour" and "The Incredible Muffin Factor vs. The Yarmukles" and "The Sandmen vs. Kevlar Sanctuary" and "Mule Story vs. Bosnian Signapore" and "Bel-Aire Bonanza vs. Bill Saratoga and the Palendromes" and "Perfect Paradox vs. Varied Villains" and "The Seventh Stage vs. Mountaintop" and "Ramirez vs. The Shingles" and "Hot Daddy and the Monkey Puppets vs. Jesse and the Ripers" and we can all scratch our chins and feel artsy.

I'm really sorry for that. I know one example was more than enough to get my point across, but making fake band names got fun and the rest were just for my own entertainment.

Anyway, to come back from the tangent... The rest of the list includes more artists and they aren't all classic rock, so just keep in mind that the only reason they're not on here is because the poll option wasn't long enough.

I'm not saying you should seep into the realm of unknown myspace bands, but these bands are fairly typical, boring and a little too common. It would be nice to diverge a little from the typical norms into bands and genres of different periods (it would be patronizing to assume that INTLers don't have experience with less popular artists). Something which would make this a little more than just 'oh Led Zeppelin vs. Pink Floyd/George Harrison vs Eric Clapton, how many times have I seen this before?'
Baggy_Brad
FIGJAM

Cool.

Ballkicks: (+1431 / -135)
Reply 11 of 26 (Originally posted on: 02-23-07 10:36:47 PM)

Well I voted on who I think has been most important in shaping and influencing the bands I currently like, so:

Billy Joel vs. <<<
Elton John
--
Bob Dylan vs.
David Bowie <<<
--
Led Zeppelin vs.
Pink Floyd <<<
--
The Beatles vs. <<<
The Rolling Stones
--
George Harrison vs. <<<
Eric Clapton
--
John Lennon vs. <<<
Paul McCartney
--
Queen vs. <<<
The Who
bradism.
D
Administrator

Reply 12 of 26 (Originally posted on: 02-24-07 02:33:56 AM)

Quoted from Sunny:
Quoted from Dimi:

I'm not saying you should seep into the realm of unknown myspace bands, but these bands are fairly typical, boring and a little too common. It would be nice to diverge a little from the typical norms into bands and genres of different periods (it would be patronizing to assume that INTLers don't have experience with less popular artists). Something which would make this a little more than just 'oh Led Zeppelin vs. Pink Floyd/George Harrison vs Eric Clapton, how many times have I seen this before?'

How many times have you seen it before?

My point isn't that INTLers don't have experience with less popular artists, its that not every INTL is going to have experience with the same less popular artists.

Anyway, you're free to suggest future match-ups. I'll include them as I wish, but if I don't include them and you think wrong and being a crazy tyrant about it you can make a thread of your own too.

But yeah, please (sincerely) suggest more.
Hoff
Lightnin' Hopkins

Helping a brother out.

Reply 13 of 26 (Originally posted on: 02-24-07 02:54:11 AM)

ppl seriously, the who is so much better than queen.
Angus

D'oh!

Ballkicks: (+621 / -84)
Reg. Date: Jun 2004
Reply 14 of 26 (Originally posted on: 02-24-07 11:22:42 AM)

Apparently every single one of my choices goes against the majority. Damn internet liberal fags.
D
Administrator

Reply 15 of 26 (Originally posted on: 02-24-07 02:46:03 PM)

Quoted from Josť Rizal:
Apparently every single one of my choices goes against the majority. Damn internet liberal fags.

We're not the ones voting for elton john
Hoff
Lightnin' Hopkins

Helping a brother out.

Reply 16 of 26 (Originally posted on: 02-24-07 03:38:39 PM)

come on people, the who is so much better than queen.
Dante

cocks in my mouth

Ballkicks: (+661 / -97)
Reg. Date: May 2004
Reply 17 of 26 (Originally posted on: 02-25-07 01:34:58 AM)

and Floyd is better than Led Zep, imo
Amphytrite
Hard for Drah

I don't really even like hearing about it or reading about it

Ballkicks: (+1869 / -83)
Reg. Date: Apr 2004
Reply 18 of 26 (Originally posted on: 02-25-07 02:38:42 AM)

Quoted from Hoff:
come on people, the who is so much better than queen.

Sorry, but no, Freddie Mercury is a god, and the other three members are on the waiting list to be gods too.
i am raising my eyebrow
Zippo
pooooooop

Leveling entire cities with her magnificient girl-cock

Ballkicks: (+1097 / -49)
Reg. Date: Nov 2002
Reply 19 of 26 (Originally posted on: 02-25-07 02:23:26 PM)

Voted for Billy Joel, Bob Dylan, Pink Floyd, The Beatles, Eric Clapton, John Lennon, and Queen.
animatedcardigan: your nose is sexy
animatedcardigan: i just want sex
animatedcardigan: i thought cunterhosen was you getting a brain tumour in a bad place

Apprenticed under Kage-STFU the art of bujutsu
"It is in Men that we must place our hope." - Gandalf the Grey
wheezy
The Reel RS Krew
Lord Handsome

The next time you wanna call a coon a nigger, call that spearchucker a jungle bunny instead. I know, I know... nigger rolls off the tongue so easy, but there is a world of rarely used racial slurs that we need to start utilizing. White power!

Ballkicks: (+527 / -190)
Reg. Date: Dec 2001
Reply 20 of 26 (Originally posted on: 02-25-07 03:53:22 PM)

George Harrison? Come on. Layla. I shouldn't need to say anythign else. Layla.

And as far as it being only 60 - 80s rock, I understand you don't want obscure bands, but you could've (or for the next time) throw in more recent big name bands, like Metallica, Guns & Roses, Pearl Jam and such. Everyone knows them, and actually, probably better than some of these.
U CANT TRICK THE TRICKSTER

Moderator of the Proud Inside Discussions Forum.
www.uselessstatic.com
emtilt

the cow of horses

Reply 21 of 26 (Originally posted on: 02-25-07 04:42:34 PM)

Layla is a very overrated song. There isn't really anything interesting about it. It barely has a melody, the guitar work is just typical Clapton, and the overlong instrumental bit is self-indulgent.
uselessinformation
I wasted my fucking time earning this title

cutesy gonzo journalism reference

Ballkicks: (+368 / -31)
Reg. Date: Apr 2002
Reply 22 of 26 (Originally posted on: 02-26-07 03:50:53 PM)

Elton/Dylan/Floyd/Beatles/Clapton/Lennon/Who
He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man.
- Dr. Johnson

MikeRomard.com
Mr Excitable
INTL Premium Member
My girlfriend is the Michelin Man

Ballkicks: (+514 / -60)
Reg. Date: Jan 2003
Reply 23 of 26 (Originally posted on: 02-26-07 04:49:13 PM)

Elton/Dylan/Floyd/Beatles/Harrison/Lennon/Queen
C
Administrator

Level 90 Ginger

Ballkicks: (+723 / -204)
Reg. Date: Jun 2002
Reply 24 of 26 (Originally posted on: 02-26-07 05:37:17 PM)

Joel/Dylan/Floyd/Beatles/Clapton/Lennon/Queen
Realize that falling in love with someone is just the results of a series of generic events that can occur between you and basically anyone who meets your standards of attractiveness. It's just an emotional manifestation of a handfull of chemicals bouncing back and forth. It's not the holy grail of living, it's not your reason to exist and it's definitely not something reserved for "that one person". Accept that you are just an animal with a big brain that allows him to fret over what only amounts to a game of hormone pool. What you're feeling is not your soul dying a gurgling, ugly death, but withdrawal. All the happy chemicals that saturated your body when you were with her are kicking out cold turkey, and your body is screaming bloody murder, where are my fucking endorphins? It's just chocolate. Find a new bar.
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 2 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 2869 | Total Posts: 26 ]