Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Site Comments > Comments, Suggestions & Announcements > Hardware donations for INTL backup server > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest. Moderated by: Ztolk
Page: [ 1 ] [ Thread Views: 2487 | Total Posts: 20 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
etymxris
INTL Developer

JUST AS PLANNED

Ballkicks: (+179 / -16)
Reg. Date: Jun 2004
(Originally posted on: 02-21-07 02:15:30 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

There are four things we can use:
  1. motherboards
  2. RAM
  3. processors
  4. hard drives

Hopefully someone has a motherboard/RAM/CPU combination lying around that they don't need anymore. That would be most convenient.

If you only have, say, RAM, make sure someone else can donate a compatible CPU and motherboard. It won't help to get a gig of PC133 RAM and a motherboard that only takes DDR.

Here are the minimum specs I am hoping to put together:
  1. motherboard with onboard ethernet network port
  2. CPU >= 1Ghz
  3. RAM >= 1GB
  4. Hard drive >= 30GB

These don't have to be server parts, and it'd probably be easier if they weren't. And keep in mind the specs. Some 128 MB modules of RAM don't do any good if the only motherboard being donated has two RAM slots.

Also, the hardware you donate should not have any history of failures, unless the failures are to things that don't matter for a server. For example, if the onboard sound or modem is broken, it doesn't matter. But if the ethernet controller is flaky, that does matter.
KaosDeath
INTL Premium Member

literally believes that communism works

Ballkicks: (+70 / -32)
Reg. Date: Aug 2006
Reply 1 of 20 (Originally posted on: 02-21-07 04:48:31 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

It doesn't come anywhere near what you are looking for, but I have an old Compaq that has a K6-2 500MHz CPU with 322MB Ram and a 10GB hard drive running Windows 98. It is a full working system with a CD/RW and CD-ROM. I acquired it from a PC install I did recently.

I'm not using it and I can't sell it locally. When I get this kind of stuff I usually donate it to 3rd world countries like Nicaragua or to Africa. If your interested let me know. Also I still have that 36GB raptor.
Do not click here
etymxris
INTL Developer

JUST AS PLANNED

Reply 2 of 20 (Originally posted on: 02-21-07 05:45:24 PM)

Is the 36GB raptor IDE, SCSI, or SATA?

I'm hoping to do a little bit better than a K6-2 500Mhz with 322RAM, but I'm not going to say no to that just yet.
KaosDeath
INTL Premium Member

Reply 3 of 20 (Originally posted on: 02-21-07 05:48:02 PM)

Quoted from etymxris:
Is the 36GB raptor IDE, SCSI, or SATA?

I'm hoping to do a little bit better than a K6-2 500Mhz with 322RAM, but I'm not going to say no to that just yet.

1.5M SATA Western Digital 36GB Raptor 10,000rpm Hard Drive
Do not click here
Ztolk
INTL Premium Member
Rawr.

definitely threw the blue lego

Ballkicks: (+838 / -47)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
Reply 4 of 20 (Originally posted on: 02-21-07 08:10:46 PM)

I can send you my old computer sans hard drive if the logistics aren't too bad and it's not too costly. I can also try to pry off the vitals.
"I used the internet to get laid once. That is not a shining moment of pride for me. The worst thing? She evidently gave me chlamydia, which I evidently got cleared up."
-Wandering Idiot
etymxris
INTL Developer

JUST AS PLANNED

Reply 5 of 20 (Originally posted on: 02-21-07 08:12:24 PM)

Quoted from Ztolk:
I can send you my old computer sans hard drive if the logistics aren't too bad and it's not too costly. I can also try to pry off the vitals.

Can you tell me what the specs of your old computer are?
KaosDeath
INTL Premium Member

Reply 6 of 20 (Originally posted on: 02-21-07 08:28:33 PM)

Sometimes Shopgoodwill.com has full systems and other good items.
http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=2538225

and also...

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=2537802
Do not click here
Ztolk
INTL Premium Member
Rawr.

Reply 7 of 20 (Originally posted on: 02-21-07 10:55:24 PM)

1.6 or GHz, 128 of RAM, and a TNT2 graphics card. That's all I know right now.
"I used the internet to get laid once. That is not a shining moment of pride for me. The worst thing? She evidently gave me chlamydia, which I evidently got cleared up."
-Wandering Idiot
Xiphias

Ballkicks: (+4 / -4)
Reg. Date: Feb 2007
Reply 8 of 20 (Originally posted on: 02-21-07 11:42:20 PM)

Quote:
1.6 or GHz, 128 of RAM,

That's a bit unbalanced.
Ztolk
INTL Premium Member
Rawr.

Reply 9 of 20 (Originally posted on: 02-22-07 12:30:48 AM)

Yeah the RAM was the weak point.
-Wandering Idiot
etymxris
INTL Developer

JUST AS PLANNED

Reply 10 of 20 (Originally posted on: 02-22-07 03:28:28 AM)

Quoted from Ztolk:
1.6 or GHz, 128 of RAM, and a TNT2 graphics card. That's all I know right now.

Well if someone has some extra DIMMs they could spare and they are compatible, it might work. I don't know what type of DIMMs your motherboard takes though or how many slots it has.
mmac
INTL Premium Member
it's INTL, not the fucking UN - Amphy

3ms will rise again

Ballkicks: (+254 / -35)
Reg. Date: Feb 2005
Reply 11 of 20 (Originally posted on: 02-22-07 12:36:43 PM)

I can donate a couple IDE drives. I think they're all 40gb though. I will be sending cash in eventually, but I haven't gotten my MGIB payments yet and I'm pretty strapped.

You want ATX MoBos? and Cases? I have an ATX case and PS if you need those.
An atom walks into a bar looking very depressed.
Bartender: What's wrong?
Atom: I've just lost an electron.
Bartender: Are you sure?
Atom: Yeah, I'm positive.
etymxris
INTL Developer

JUST AS PLANNED

Reply 12 of 20 (Originally posted on: 02-22-07 12:45:25 PM)

I don't need an ATX case or PSU unless you have a 1U form factor. A 40gb hard drive may be workable.

I might be able to use an ATX mobo, preferably one that has many DIMM slots and/or that takes DDR RAM (because I have some of that already).
mmac
INTL Premium Member
it's INTL, not the fucking UN - Amphy

3ms will rise again

Ballkicks: (+254 / -35)
Reg. Date: Feb 2005
Reply 13 of 20 (Originally posted on: 02-22-07 01:58:43 PM)

I dont have any of those MAGUSMAGUSMAGUSMAGUS next time somebody at work buys an new computer because of a bad PSU I can talk to them and try to buy the old computer. I'm sure I could work something out.
An atom walks into a bar looking very depressed.
Bartender: What's wrong?
Atom: I've just lost an electron.
Bartender: Are you sure?
Atom: Yeah, I'm positive.
etymxris
INTL Developer

JUST AS PLANNED

Reply 14 of 20 (Originally posted on: 02-22-07 04:48:22 PM)

My old roommate may just give me an old p4 mobo and processor that takes DDR. I have some DDR RAM I might be able to put into it for the time being. It won't have a hard drive though, and might not be able to handle SATA. It might also be too flaky for colo (he was having weird lockups with it).
Sunn O)))
INTL Alumni
14 year RP master

Zan-beef

Ballkicks: (+761 / -127)
Reply 15 of 20 (Originally posted on: 02-23-07 06:02:41 PM)

I'll look around and see what I can scrap up for parts. I don't have much for HDs (lately just lost two), but for the rest I'll have to see.
etymxris
INTL Developer

JUST AS PLANNED

Reply 16 of 20 (Originally posted on: 02-27-07 05:04:28 PM)

I'll definitely need a hard drive. I can take two hard drives. Preferably IDE. I may not be able to use SATA drives.

My old roommate gave me a motherboard and processor, and if it's stable, I will also need DDR RAM. It has four DIMM slots, which is good, so I should be able to use any RAM sticks 256MB or bigger. But they must be 184-pin DDR. Preferably PC2100 or higher.

That should be it for now. Don't forget that I'll need a hard drive or two regardless.
Nemesis
Zuri's Cat
They're ALL scientologists damn you! IT'S A CONSPIRACY!

Ballkicks: (+87 / -19)
Reg. Date: Dec 2002
Reply 17 of 20 (Originally posted on: 02-28-07 11:03:46 PM)

If anyone is willing to throw down 200 bucks I can get brand new parts discounted to fuck all from work. If not I'll scrap some shit and eventually put one together. I've got a 939 board I'm not using, just gotta snag some ram a proc and a hdd. 200 bucks would front the bill for brand new shit vs used. Up to you guys.
etymxris
INTL Developer

JUST AS PLANNED

Reply 18 of 20 (Originally posted on: 03-01-07 09:28:39 AM)

If I had $200, there would be a lot I could do with it. I think we're going to have to settle for second hand parts. If that board takes SATA, KaosDeath said he had a 10,000 RPM drive that might be useful to you. Since it's a 939, it might be worth trying to scrounge up a cheap dual core off ebay.

I was going to gut a system I'm not using for 1.5gb DDR. But a 939 would probably be better than the board and processor I'm currently testing.
Nemesis
Zuri's Cat
They're ALL scientologists damn you! IT'S A CONSPIRACY!

Ballkicks: (+87 / -19)
Reg. Date: Dec 2002
Reply 19 of 20 (Originally posted on: 03-01-07 01:17:39 PM)

Well I only used the board for 3 months or so, then I upgraded to an SLI instead. Like I said if you give me 2 weeks or so I can probably scrape together everything else.
etymxris
INTL Developer

JUST AS PLANNED

Reply 20 of 20 (Originally posted on: 03-13-07 08:16:09 AM)

Ok, thanks to Nemesis' promised donations, my own stock and donations from my roommate, this is what I have so far:
  1. Socket 939 Motherboard
  2. Athlon FX-55
  3. 1GB stick of DDR400 PC3200 RAM
  4. 80GB IDE hard drive
  5. 1U heatsink, case, and powersupply

What I'm hoping to get in addition
  1. Another 1GB stick of DDR400 PC3200 RAM
  2. Bigger hard drives, either SATA or IDE

In addition, we're currently trying to find the most affordable 1U server colocation. I don't think I'd be comfortable with less than a 500GB alottment a month. The current plan is $50/mo and the provider has been flaky in the past. The cheapest I've found so far is:
http://colopronto.com/

If someone wants to try to find other colocation plans < $50/mo with at least 500GB transfer a month, it would help me out.
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 2487 | Total Posts: 20 ]