Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Site Comments > Comments, Suggestions & Announcements > Status of INTL > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest. Moderated by: Ztolk
Page: [ 1 2 ] [ Thread Views: 6561 | Total Posts: 43 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Subscribe To Thread
How much do you care about INTL?
This poll has expired.
INTL is unbearably slow, and I'd be willing to donate to a new server. 4 votes, 17.391%
INTL is fast enough for me. 15 votes, 65.217%
INTL is slow, but I'm still not going to donate. 4 votes, 17.391%
Totals: 23 votes, 103.058%
Modify Poll
etymxris
INTL Developer

JUST AS PLANNED

Ballkicks: (+179 / -16)
Reg. Date: Jun 2004
(Originally posted on: 02-05-07 09:22:37 AM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

The old server broke. It's probably the motherboard, but we're not sure at this point. Anyway, the host is going to look at the old server today and ship it back to me if it can't easily be fixed. Only when I can get the data from the old server will all the old threads be available again.

However, anything posted here will not be lost. So don't feel skittish about posting new threads.

Lessons learned:
1) Relying on a single colocated machine is not acceptable. When hardware or software fails the site experiences extended downtimes.
2) The current hardware needs to be replaced, and the current colocation company has unacceptably slow support.
3) Shared hosting is pretty slow, even with SQL optimizations I performed yesterday. It also has numerous downtimes, two half-hour downtimes since I set it up yesterday, but these are usually resolved within a few hours.

INTL is currently running on shared hosting. No matter how I optimize the site, resource restrictions are going to make page load times anywhere from 1 to 10 seconds. I think, though I have no evidence to prove this, that users are more likely to stick around with faster load times. I think the smooth operation of the site during the past month before it exploded again contributed to the small influx of new users. So fast load times, in my opinion, contribute to both a better browsing experience and healthier forum activity.

The only way that I can see to get back to sub-second load times is with a dedicated or colocated server. However, dedicated servers are more expensive to host and have all the same weaknesses that colocated servers have.

The best option, I think, is to have two blade servers hosted on Colo-Pronto. That would be $40/mo, which is cheaper than the $50/mo I'm paying now for one server. However, I would have to put together some blade servers, which are usually pretty expensive. One blade could be an old PIII off ebay, which would probably be about $300. But the main server should be about as beefy as the old server. Luckily, most of the old server is probably still functional. If that's so, then I just need a barebones 1U dual opteron blade, such as this one. That would be about $400 once 1U heatsinks are thrown in.

We could try to use shared hosting as a backup, but the lack of root access on these accounts makes live, synchronous backups difficult. So any downtime would likely be for at least a few hours why DNS propagates. In addition, some posts and other data would be lost during the failover.

If both machines were at the same colocation facility, there would be various ways to make failover much faster. Backup could also be synchronous.

In any case, these are the two options for improvement:
1) 1 colocation machine ($20/mo) ($70 setup), with new server ($400), using shared hosting as backup.
2) 2 colocation machines ($40/mo) $70 setup, with one beefy server ($400), and one backup server ($300).

Of course we could stick with things as they are. If you don't think INTL is worth donating money to, it'll just stay as it is for the moment. Whenever we can scrounge up enough money to improve it, however, we will. That may not happen for quite some time without donations.

Anyone who donates would of course be able to use the new server to host any legal content that was not terribly bandwidth intensive (bandwidth intensive = more than 50GB/mo or so).
IF0
Administrator

Hey, I was with Mary Magdalene last night....smell my finger lol

Ballkicks: (+621 / -173)
Reg. Date: Jul 2003
Reply 1 of 43 (Originally posted on: 02-05-07 09:37:46 AM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

Paypal interestingnonetheless@gmail.com plz.

Mailed donations to:
Richard Hamilton
833 E. Elm St. Room 804
Springfield, MO 65806
Adopt a leggo my eggo ifo.
[01:19] witty tirade: wait wait wait
[01:19] witty tirade: let me get this straight
[01:19] witty tirade: I'm the thin attractive one
[01:19] witty tirade: and you, the fat one, are making fun of me?
[01:19] witty tirade: no sir I do not believe it.

[17:54] <vissario> are you black IFO?
Zippo
pooooooop

Leveling entire cities with her magnificient girl-cock

Ballkicks: (+1097 / -49)
Reg. Date: Nov 2002
Reply 2 of 43 (Originally posted on: 02-05-07 09:43:26 AM)

Sign me up for a donation even though I hate Paypal. *IF0 slaps you around a bit with a large trout
animatedcardigan: your nose is sexy
animatedcardigan: i just want sex[/w]

[w]Apprenticed under Kage-STFU the art of bujutsu
"It is in Men that we must place our hope." - Gandalf the Grey
KaosDeath
INTL Premium Member

literally believes that communism works

Ballkicks: (+70 / -32)
Reg. Date: Aug 2006
Reply 3 of 43 (Originally posted on: 02-05-07 09:54:40 AM)

ATM I do not have $$ to donate. However I do have one 36GB Raptor that is not in use. If INTL is interested you can consider it my donation to use it for off-site backups.
Zippo
pooooooop

Leveling entire cities with her magnificient girl-cock

Ballkicks: (+1097 / -49)
Reg. Date: Nov 2002
Reply 4 of 43 (Originally posted on: 02-05-07 10:13:32 AM)

I am also willing to whore out my voice for INTL profit even though:
[11:54] rbrandonstewart: I don't think that would help much
animatedcardigan: your nose is sexy
animatedcardigan: i just want sex[/w]

[w]Apprenticed under Kage-STFU the art of bujutsu
"It is in Men that we must place our hope." - Gandalf the Grey
Amphytrite
Hard for Drah

I don't really even like hearing about it or reading about it

Ballkicks: (+1869 / -83)
Reg. Date: Apr 2004
Reply 5 of 43 (Originally posted on: 02-05-07 10:37:58 AM)

I am willing to whore my Latin services out for INTL profit.
sukkit 7: one day my grandchildren will sit down by the fire and I'll tell them the story of the arena
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

gotta get that VICTORY ROYALE #gamer #memes #LoL

Ballkicks: (+1782 / -130)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
Reply 6 of 43 (Originally posted on: 02-05-07 10:45:09 AM)

I am pretty poor right now but I will probably be able to scrounge up $20 or so donate.
etymxris
INTL Developer

JUST AS PLANNED

Reply 7 of 43 (Originally posted on: 02-05-07 03:12:13 PM)

Some members have offered to donate hardware. I think the best course of action would be to first build the backup blade server, and the try to save up for the beefy main server. We first need a coherent idea of what's available for donation. It has to be something that can fit in a 1U blade, and that will be useful on yesteryear's technology. The easiest way to do this would be to buy a blade off ebay. The specs would be something like:

2x1Ghz processors or 1x1.5Ghz processor
1GB RAM or greater
100GB disk or greater

If you're going to donate disks, they should probably be IDE or SCSI, which is most likely to be compatible with blade servers from a year or two ago. There are various types of SCSI, and I'm not sure which is best. But SATA is probably too new for any inexpensive blade server.
etymxris
INTL Developer

JUST AS PLANNED

Reply 8 of 43 (Originally posted on: 02-05-07 03:43:53 PM)

I just realized I can fit regular motherboards into 1U cases. So that will reduce costs significantly. I'll have to do some more research to find out by how much.

I also just got access to the old server. I'll start updating the database here right away.
abused
i done told you once bitch

Looks and acts like a douche-bag

Ballkicks: (+820 / -208)
Reg. Date: Dec 2002
Reply 9 of 43 (Originally posted on: 02-05-07 03:47:10 PM)

Quoted from etymxris:
I just realized I can fit regular motherboards into 1U cases. So that will reduce costs significantly. I'll have to do some more research to find out by how much.

I also just got access to the old server. I'll start updating the database here right away.

You're the man etymxris!
etymxris
INTL Developer

JUST AS PLANNED

Reply 10 of 43 (Originally posted on: 02-05-07 07:44:38 PM)

test
C
Administrator

Level 90 Ginger

Ballkicks: (+723 / -204)
Reg. Date: Jun 2002
Reply 11 of 43 (Originally posted on: 02-05-07 07:59:52 PM)

test your own goddamned self
Realize that falling in love with someone is just the results of a series of generic events that can occur between you and basically anyone who meets your standards of attractiveness. It's just an emotional manifestation of a handfull of chemicals bouncing back and forth. It's not the holy grail of living, it's not your reason to exist and it's definitely not something reserved for "that one person". Accept that you are just an animal with a big brain that allows him to fret over what only amounts to a game of hormone pool. What you're feeling is not your soul dying a gurgling, ugly death, but withdrawal. All the happy chemicals that saturated your body when you were with her are kicking out cold turkey, and your body is screaming bloody murder, where are my fucking endorphins? It's just chocolate. Find a new bar.
Sunn O)))
INTL Alumni
14 year RP master

Zan-beef

Ballkicks: (+761 / -127)
Reply 12 of 43 (Originally posted on: 02-05-07 08:14:03 PM)

I just went through every goddamned post and thread made during that hiatus and added them by hand. Gah!
etymxris
INTL Developer

JUST AS PLANNED

Reply 13 of 43 (Originally posted on: 02-05-07 08:55:02 PM)

Quote:
Sorry it took so long to figure out what was going on. Looks like originally it was a failed switch port, but when we moved you over to a new port on a new switch there was a VLAN problem that we didn't catch right away.

So there was absolutely nothing wrong with my hardware. Fuck you waveform, fuck you.
ba
INTL Premium Member
Captain of the Cool Kids

and i said, a\re you a gay ass fucker who can't take a baseball up the ass you faggot???? and he said yes........

Ballkicks: (+456 / -62)
Reg. Date: Apr 2003
Reply 14 of 43 (Originally posted on: 02-05-07 09:11:33 PM)

Voted: INTL is slow, but I'm still not going to donate.

Not because I don't want INTL to have a new server, but because I'm poor now and I've already dropped $20 on INTL in the past. Perhaps when I get a job, but that may not be anytime soon.
~British[/whisper] Agent
[whisper].___.
{O,o} O RLY?
/)__)
-"-"-
Links: Penny Arcade, YTMND, Something Awful.
etymxris
INTL Developer

JUST AS PLANNED

Reply 15 of 43 (Originally posted on: 02-05-07 09:19:36 PM)

That's fine, it'd be hardly realistic to expect every forummer to jump at the chance of donating.

Anyway, I may be able to get away with a few 1U cases, some decent 1U powersupplies, and some 1U heatsinks. Then I'd be able to put everything together for about $300 max including both servers. And it could probably be done cheaper.
Baggy_Brad
FIGJAM

Cool.

Ballkicks: (+1431 / -135)
Reply 16 of 43 (Originally posted on: 02-05-07 10:00:19 PM)

Someone donate me $30 I need some beer
bradism.
Ma-Newer
League of Super Sluts

It all became very clear to me sitting out there today that every decision I’ve ever made in my entire life has been wrong.

Ballkicks: (+1024 / -49)
Reg. Date: Sep 2003
Reply 17 of 43 (Originally posted on: 02-05-07 11:16:11 PM)

Quoted from Baggy_Brad:
Someone donate me \$30 I need some beer
I second this. It does seem that you have been slower lately.
Never argue with stupid people. They will drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

KaosDeath
INTL Premium Member

literally believes that communism works

Ballkicks: (+70 / -32)
Reg. Date: Aug 2006
Reply 18 of 43 (Originally posted on: 02-06-07 05:45:59 AM)

Quoted from Shady Milkman:
Quoted from Baggy_Brad:
Someone donate me \\\$30 I need some beer
I second this. It does seem that you have been slower lately.

INTLnet Fund raiser party?
goldorak
Conan The Destroyer, Idiot Extraordinaire

Ballkicks: (+22 / -12)
Reg. Date: Jan 2007
Reply 19 of 43 (Originally posted on: 02-06-07 01:18:30 PM)

perhaps this was just a scam to finance etymxris' sex change operation

*this post was made possible thanks to ol' grandmas association
sometimes when i pee, i smell sugar crisp cereal
ba
INTL Premium Member
Captain of the Cool Kids

and i said, a\re you a gay ass fucker who can't take a baseball up the ass you faggot???? and he said yes........

Ballkicks: (+456 / -62)
Reg. Date: Apr 2003
Reply 20 of 43 (Originally posted on: 02-06-07 05:42:32 PM)

hah! like ety is getting any sex to change.

no but seriously, good job fixing INTL.
~British[/whisper] Agent
[whisper].___.
{O,o} O RLY?
/)__)
-"-"-
Links: Penny Arcade, YTMND, Something Awful.
Dante

cocks in my mouth

Ballkicks: (+661 / -97)
Reg. Date: May 2004
Reply 21 of 43 (Originally posted on: 02-06-07 06:29:24 PM)

Glad to see the INTL back off its knees.

I can donate $30 or so, but not immediately because my bank account is fucked.
C
Administrator

Level 90 Ginger

Ballkicks: (+723 / -204)
Reg. Date: Jun 2002
Reply 22 of 43 (Originally posted on: 02-06-07 07:17:30 PM)

Well, we had a talk earlier tonight, and we certainly appreciate all of your donations and willingness to donate and will continue to do so.

As it stands at the moment, I believe we'll be moving INTL back to our colo center until we can afford to put the server in a 1U case, and possibly build another. The cost for both will be slightly less when we can get the new cases, since the new cases will be smaller and apparently colo centers like that. I'd say we're around $500 out from being able to make the backup server, but only $150 of that or so will be needed to put the original server in the 1U case, which will cut our monthly costs in half.

So yeah.

Anyway, I have company now, so I'm going to leave this open ended for corrections from ety or questions from you, the peanut gallery.
Realize that falling in love with someone is just the results of a series of generic events that can occur between you and basically anyone who meets your standards of attractiveness. It's just an emotional manifestation of a handfull of chemicals bouncing back and forth. It's not the holy grail of living, it's not your reason to exist and it's definitely not something reserved for "that one person". Accept that you are just an animal with a big brain that allows him to fret over what only amounts to a game of hormone pool. What you're feeling is not your soul dying a gurgling, ugly death, but withdrawal. All the happy chemicals that saturated your body when you were with her are kicking out cold turkey, and your body is screaming bloody murder, where are my fucking endorphins? It's just chocolate. Find a new bar.
etymxris
INTL Developer

JUST AS PLANNED

Reply 23 of 43 (Originally posted on: 02-06-07 07:30:17 PM)

TRC explained it pretty well. We're moving the site back to the colo center as soon as my ISP stops throttling my connection and Sandamnit updates the nameservers again, or gives me access to update the nameservers when I need to so I don't have to keep bugging him.

The colo center sucks, but we can't really afford anything else at this point. I'll make sure to keep the main server well synchronized with the backup.
Mira

Ballkicks: (+14 / -7)
Reg. Date: Jan 2007
Reply 24 of 43 (Originally posted on: 02-06-07 08:34:34 PM)

The site doesn't seem any slower -- at least to me anyway. But if you really need the help, I can probably mail a few dollars even though I haven't been here that long. I wish I could help more, but I am putting myself through school on a nonexistent salary so I have very little spending money. :-/
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 2 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 6561 | Total Posts: 43 ]