Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Discussion Forums > The "Song A Day" Thread Forum > Seatbelts > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest. Moderated by: D drahnier
Page: [ 1 2 3 ] [ Thread Views: 5124 | Total Posts: 52 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Subscribe To Thread
Do you feel people should be punished (fined, etc) for not wearing a seatbelt in a vehicle?
This poll has expired.
Yes 18 votes, 54.545%
No 13 votes, 39.394%
Undecided / Don't Care 2 votes, 6.061%
Other 0 votes, 0%
Totals: 33 votes, 103.058%
Modify Poll
abused
i done told you once bitch

Looks and acts like a douche-bag

Ballkicks: (+820 / -208)
Reg. Date: Dec 2002
(Originally posted on: 01-01-07 10:55:09 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

Should people be punished for not wearing a seatbelt?

Is it a choice that should be a personal freedom?

How often do you wear your seatbelt? Have you ever been caught by the police for not wearing your seatbelt? What happened?

Do you have any seatbelt related stories?
"Hey there, Fancypants. Play the songs that make us dance. Play the tunes that make the ladies swoon. A song for all the lonely hearts, shattered dreams and broken parts. It feels like sunny days are coming soon."
Amphytrite
Hard for Drah

I don't really even like hearing about it or reading about it

Ballkicks: (+1869 / -83)
Reg. Date: Apr 2004
Reply 1 of 52 (Originally posted on: 01-01-07 11:31:23 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

I always wear a seatbelt when I'm in the front of an auto. I usually don't if I'm in the back (they choke my neck), unless my father is driving. I think it's definitely something people should be punished for doing--if I were caught, even in the back seat, I'd have to agree with the officer, because it's just common sense.
Sorry, I have nothing exciting to say about seatbelts.
Zippo: maybe you can draw your vagina as a stage and show him where to put his props
ba
INTL Premium Member
Captain of the Cool Kids

and i said, a\re you a gay ass fucker who can't take a baseball up the ass you faggot???? and he said yes........

Ballkicks: (+456 / -62)
Reg. Date: Apr 2003
Reply 2 of 52 (Originally posted on: 01-01-07 11:38:55 PM)

When I'm in an auto I usually always wear one which is pretty much just out of habit. I guess it's saved my life once or twice (the mailbox thing a couple years ago).

haha auto
~British[/whisper] Agent
[whisper].___.
{O,o} O RLY?
/)__)
-"-"-
Links: Penny Arcade, YTMND, Something Awful.
Ztolk
INTL Premium Member
Rawr.

definitely threw the blue lego

Ballkicks: (+838 / -47)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
Reply 3 of 52 (Originally posted on: 01-01-07 11:54:22 PM)

I don't think there's a need to punish nonwearers because the pro-seatbelt propoganda we got as kids worked pretty well.

However, people who don't make their kids wear seatbelts should be punished.
"I used the internet to get laid once. That is not a shining moment of pride for me. The worst thing? She evidently gave me chlamydia, which I evidently got cleared up."
-Wandering Idiot
Mr Excitable
INTL Premium Member
My girlfriend is the Michelin Man

Ballkicks: (+514 / -60)
Reg. Date: Jan 2003
Reply 4 of 52 (Originally posted on: 01-02-07 12:18:29 AM)

Jeeze Adam are you serious?

Should they be punished? Yes they should.

Some stories. I am a volunteer fire fighter. I have seen some managled people who didnt wear their belts. I know of one person who died this past year.
Baggy_Brad
FIGJAM

Cool.

Ballkicks: (+1431 / -135)
Reply 5 of 52 (Originally posted on: 01-02-07 12:23:38 AM)

Belt up and live.
bradism.
FISHMANPET

Fishmanpet, son of Manbearpig and Girlfishpet

Ballkicks: (+102 / -63)
Reg. Date: May 2002
Reply 6 of 52 (Originally posted on: 01-02-07 12:27:55 AM)

You could say it's a personal freedom, but if that's the case then don't expect any help from the government if you're in an accident without your seatbelt. That means no government funded services, that means no first responders, no firefighters, and depending on your insurance and hospital, no hospitalization. At the very core of it, at a very inhuman level, not wearing a seatbelt is very expensive. Fire fighters would have to work harder to get the person out, and the hospital bill is going to be much more expensive. Any form of government in which any of these services are publically funded, a seatbelt law is on some level a way to keep costs down. If we lived in a system where firefighters and ambulances and health care were all privately funded, then I'd say not wearing a seatbelt is totally OK. But I don't think any of us live in a society like that.
the best thing about high school girls... every year im a little older, but every year they stay the same age. - NNY
Get the sand out of your vagina man. - Wild Bill
When Soccy talks about Star Trek, it's cute. For you, it just makes me picture you in an elaborate suit with a plastic "phaser" propositioning young girls at phaser-point. - Dani
What a bunch of idiots Andy. One day, you'll be their boss. - JamesMartigo
FMP writes erotic stories better than anyone else I know. - Socrateius
Amphytrite
Hard for Drah

Reply 7 of 52 (Originally posted on: 01-02-07 12:38:52 AM)

Quoted from Baggy_Brad:
Belt up and live.

Or in New Jersey...
Click it or ticket!
Zippo: maybe you can draw your vagina as a stage and show him where to put his props
flaming arrow
INTL Premium Member

old time judge suck cock

Ballkicks: (+1266 / -281)
Reply 8 of 52 (Originally posted on: 01-02-07 12:47:39 AM)

Yes, because they have to pay for cleaning up the mess that people who don't wear seatbelts leave behind when they get into a wreck.

Quoted from Ampitheatre:
Quoted from Baggy_Brad:
Belt up and live.

Or in New Jersey...
Click it or ticket!

That's the slogan for pretty much every state now.
Amphytrite
Hard for Drah

Reply 9 of 52 (Originally posted on: 01-02-07 01:26:33 AM)

Quoted from Flaming Arrow:
Quoted from Ampitheatre:
Quoted from Baggy_Brad:
Belt up and live.

Or in New Jersey...
Click it or ticket!

That's the slogan for pretty much every state now.

Whatever man, South Carolina's still pretty far behind the times.
Tied into this--what do you all think about motorcyclists wearing helmets? South Carolina is thinking about trying to pass a law requiring all motorcyclists to wear helmets while on highways, and a recent poll showed that the state is about evenly split. I don't know what it's like in other states, but IIRC, NJ had a helmet law in place. Do you think the helmet serves as a protector equivalent to a seat belt?
C
Administrator

Level 90 Ginger

Ballkicks: (+723 / -204)
Reg. Date: Jun 2002
Reply 10 of 52 (Originally posted on: 01-02-07 01:33:35 AM)

I'm pretty impartial. I've known people who've been in wrecks who weren't wearing their seatbelts and lived because of that. Well, one person, but if he'd been wearing it he wouldn't have been thrown from the car and he would've been crushed. Still seatbelts probably save more lives than they end. I try to wear mine, but I really don't care if some asshole who hits me is wearing his.
Realize that falling in love with someone is just the results of a series of generic events that can occur between you and basically anyone who meets your standards of attractiveness. It's just an emotional manifestation of a handfull of chemicals bouncing back and forth. It's not the holy grail of living, it's not your reason to exist and it's definitely not something reserved for "that one person". Accept that you are just an animal with a big brain that allows him to fret over what only amounts to a game of hormone pool. What you're feeling is not your soul dying a gurgling, ugly death, but withdrawal. All the happy chemicals that saturated your body when you were with her are kicking out cold turkey, and your body is screaming bloody murder, where are my fucking endorphins? It's just chocolate. Find a new bar.
Sunn O)))
INTL Alumni
14 year RP master

Zan-beef

Ballkicks: (+761 / -127)
Reply 11 of 52 (Originally posted on: 01-02-07 02:36:40 AM)

Quote:
Should people be punished for not wearing a seatbelt?

No, but they are.

Quote:
Is it a choice that should be a personal freedom?

Yes, I figure people should be able to make their own decision about it, and they often do. I do not believe in being held accountable for the actions (or misactions) of others. Education, experience and knowledge has given individuals a perspective about the consequences of wearing or not wearing seatbelts.

Quote:
How often do you wear your seatbelt? Have you ever been caught by the police for not wearing your seatbelt? What happened?

I generally wear a seatbelt in the front of a vehicle, and not in the backseat. When I've been pulled over by the police it was not because I wasn't wearing a seatbelt, only that I was wearing it underneath my arm (improperly wearing a seatbelt). It's a habit I haven't been able to break. The typical fine is 130 dollars, taxes depend on province.

Quote:
Do you have any seatbelt related stories?

many personal and through friends/etc. most are typical though - fines and car accidents... and occasionally the possessed car whose seatbelts slowly choke you.
Wandering Idiot
INTL Premium Member

Surely something dumber has come up since my apparent forgetfulness for STDs and doctor visits.

Ballkicks: (+257 / -16)
Reg. Date: Jul 2003
Reply 12 of 52 (Originally posted on: 01-02-07 02:53:45 AM)

No.

Now that I've said that, it's wreckless to drive without a seatbelt. I don't even back out of my parking spot without my seatbelt on, and everyone that rides with me, except my father, because it's impossible to convince him to wear a belt. However, his seatbelt almost got him killed once, but I don't know the whole story because I was about 4 when it happened.

The way I see it, it's natural selection. If you don't wear your belt you should be fully aware of the consequences. I believe the insurance should be significantly more for those who don't wear belts, much like Floridas' motorcycle helmet law. It isn't really a question of personal freedom anymore, it's an intelligence matter. If you're not smart enough to see the safety purpose then you deserve to pay more for your coverage and ultimately accept the responibility for your own injuries when in an accident, even when it's not your fault because you're not wearing a seatbelt. Idiot tax.
"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."
-Dave Barry
D
Administrator

i didn't have the strength to get it all the way off

Ballkicks: (+1950 / -91)
Reply 13 of 52 (Originally posted on: 01-02-07 03:06:25 AM)

I voted no, but one scenario I didn't consider:

What if you rear end someone who wasn't wearing their seatbelt. You're responsible to pay for their medical damages - but its their fault they didn't wear their seatbelt and got a lot more injured than they could have.
If there was no seatbelt law, you'd have to pay more for someone else's mistake. Sure, it was your mistake that you hit them, but its their fault they got more injured than they should have. Know what I mean?
"They could have grown up to become Hitler....collectively." - Ztolk's creepy Flash man
Socrateius
Robobear 3000

homersexual

Ballkicks: (+611 / -49)
Reg. Date: Jul 2002
Reply 14 of 52 (Originally posted on: 01-02-07 03:15:04 AM)

No, though I think people should wear seatbelts, you're fucking retarded if you don't. Every single person I know that's died in a car accident would have lived if they just wore their seatbelt.
HeavenGaymes hahaha gay mes

"Being tackled is fun cause its like getting a great big hug from a strong guy. You get to lose yourself in his arms...It only hurts when they let go MAGUSMAGUSMAGUSMAGUS" - Shady Milkman

"I'm not even sure if believe in abortions period...but man do I hate retards" - Dimitrios
Snowy
INTL Premium Member

i always try to make a statement with my fashion...thats why today i wore a crop top with a pic of richard nixon captioned: growl at sweat

Ballkicks: (+899 / -313)
Reg. Date: Feb 2005
Reply 15 of 52 (Originally posted on: 01-02-07 03:20:48 AM)

Only someone from North America or Ghana would even have to ask this question.

Useless little atoms are burning all the bridges
kayte
INTL Premium Member

How long until this becomes my new title let's count the seconds

Ballkicks: (+1019 / -241)
Reg. Date: Nov 2003
Reply 16 of 52 (Originally posted on: 01-02-07 03:41:30 AM)

I think it's a "duh, yes they should" question simply because of the slope argument to what you can and cannot be punished for doing in your car. Driving, as my parents would say, is a privilege and not a right. People don't get to do whatever they want whenever they want, and they shouldn't be allowed to, either. It's a strange line between "personal freedom" and "anarchy."
Pertti Susilainen
Head Priest

mr. sukkit

Ballkicks: (+924 / -57)
Reg. Date: Dec 2002
Reply 17 of 52 (Originally posted on: 01-02-07 06:47:54 AM)

Seatbelts? Helmets for motorbike riders? What the fuck is this all about?

Yes to all, for god's sake. It's just a belt, you get used to it in like 3 minutes, tops.

Seriously.
đonne onwŠcne­ eft wineleas guma, gesih­ him biforan fealwe wegas, ba■ian brimfuglas, brŠdan fe■ra, hreosan hrim ond snaw hagle gemenged. Ůonne beo­ ■y hefigran heortan benne, sare Šfter swŠsne. Sorg bi­ geniwad ■onne maga gemynd mod geondhweorfe­, grete­ gliwstafum, georne geondsceawa­ secga geseldan; swimma­ oft on weg. Fleotendra fer­ no ■Šr fela bringe­ cu­ra cwidegiedda.
The Wanderer, l. 45-55a
Scruffy - The Janitor
Alcoholics Anonymous
While anarchy can often turn a humdrum weekend into something unforgettable, eventually the mob must be kept from stealing the conch and killing Piggy.

Pimpin is just a haircut and a shave away!

Ballkicks: (+650 / -57)
Reg. Date: Jan 2003
Reply 18 of 52 (Originally posted on: 01-02-07 08:51:08 AM)

My seatbelt touches me innapropriately when no one is watching. It has me call it "Uncle Seabel". I definatly don't have a choice about this, why should anyone else?
An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools.
artzilla
Firefox remembers my PASSWORD

More like Grandpa AWESOME

Ballkicks: (+95 / -25)
Reg. Date: Dec 2005
Reply 19 of 52 (Originally posted on: 01-02-07 10:41:14 AM)

I only wear one if the person driving makes me nervous. But for the most part I think seat belts were originally designed to keep the body inside the car in the event of an accident. And isn't that strange, the last syllable in that word is "dent?" I may be wrong but weren't they originally called "Safety Belts?" Perhaps senility has finally set in...what was I talking about?...
Coca-Cola
INTL Premium Member

MY WIG-WAM WOKS!

Ballkicks: (+503 / -183)
Reg. Date: Feb 2003
Reply 20 of 52 (Originally posted on: 01-03-07 10:28:03 AM)

I have never not worn my seatbelt as far as I know. What's the point of not wearing one, considering you're much more likely to die in a car crash if you don't. it's just common sense.

Nova Scotia's always been good for having tough seatbelt laws; when I took a trip to the U.S. as a kid I was very surprised to see how many states had little to no seatbelt laws (although many have changed since).

Megaman
met some pretty craaaaaaazy people in his days

Ballkicks: (+4 / -0)
Reg. Date: Feb 2008
Reply 21 of 52 (Originally posted on: 02-20-08 02:31:44 PM)

I got pulled over a couple years ago for speeding (thats another story), and I also was not wearing my seatbelt. The cop let me slide with a warning though, if he didn't I would have been really mad because I almost always wear it.
poop
$$~~~Crips~~~$$
slooooooooooooots

i'd expect more sorcery in a place called mana pools

Ballkicks: (+731 / -71)
Reg. Date: May 2002
Reply 22 of 52 (Originally posted on: 02-20-08 03:02:24 PM)

The real question is: does a turban count as a substitute for a helmet when riding a motorcycle?

For city driving, I usually don't buckle up. Highways, I always do. To me, I wear it when the car is going fast enough to actually throw me out the window. I don't think I'm going anywhere if I get into a fender-bender going 40 kph.
Alyantis
FEMALE

Ballkicks: (+89 / -25)
Reg. Date: Apr 2002
Reply 23 of 52 (Originally posted on: 02-20-08 04:02:08 PM)

People should be punished for not wearing seat belts. The probability that the medical costs will increase, as well as police and other emergency services, increases greatly when a person does not wear a seat belt. Driving isn't a right anyways, it's regulated by the government.
I Cant Skat3: Well, I may be stupid. I'll let others decide that.
wheezy
The Reel RS Krew
Lord Handsome

The next time you wanna call a coon a nigger, call that spearchucker a jungle bunny instead. I know, I know... nigger rolls off the tongue so easy, but there is a world of rarely used racial slurs that we need to start utilizing. White power!

Ballkicks: (+527 / -190)
Reg. Date: Dec 2001
Reply 24 of 52 (Originally posted on: 02-20-08 04:37:45 PM)

I really don't see why it would be a big deal. I mean, people complaining about having to wear them is a joke. It definitely makes you much safer, and it's not really uncomfortable. The only time I don't like wearing a seatbelt sometimes is if I'm in a loooong car ride, and in the backseat and want to lie down or something.
U CANT TRICK THE TRICKSTER

Moderator of the Proud Inside Discussions Forum.
www.uselessstatic.com
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 2 3 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 5124 | Total Posts: 52 ]