Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Discussion Forums > The "Song A Day" Thread Forum > A photo-representation of the A.M. hours of an engineer (a.k.a. The All-Nighter Thread) > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest. Moderated by: D drahnier
Page: [ 1 2 3 ] [ Thread Views: 6403 | Total Posts: 66 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
D
Administrator

i didn't have the strength to get it all the way off

Ballkicks: (+1950 / -91)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
(Originally posted on: 12-11-06 07:36:53 AM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

This scene was not altered at all for the picture. And I don't even like Pepsi.

So i'm up real late(early) writing this lab report and (now that I finally finished that) am about to study for a statics test (which I have at 11:30am, it is 7:12am right now).

Anyway, I was coming back from the bathroom, and I saw this scene, and found it kinda funny (in a sad sort of way) so I thought I might share it with ya'll.

Share your stories of your recent all-nighters if you wish.

Or come here and share your story next time you're in the middle of an all-nighter and you're miserable and want to take a short venting break.

Come on people, its exam season, I know you've got stories.
"They could have grown up to become Hitler....collectively." - Ztolk's creepy Flash man
Agon
Vodka and Lip Gloss
INTL Best Dressed List

when i finish my cut in a few months i'll show you my shiny new abs.

Ballkicks: (+322 / -63)
Reg. Date: Jul 2004
Reply 1 of 66 (Originally posted on: 12-11-06 08:26:08 AM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

i'm in the middle of an all-nighter right now, and am completely burned out just in time for daylight! what better way to start finals week?
Bebop

cups are only really useful for people drinking

Ballkicks: (+219 / -19)
Reg. Date: Oct 2003
Reply 2 of 66 (Originally posted on: 12-11-06 08:35:56 AM)

I was up till 7 doing mechanics too, my sleep paterns are fucked. On tonights menu we have linear algebra.
Mr Excitable
INTL Premium Member
My girlfriend is the Michelin Man

Ballkicks: (+514 / -60)
Reg. Date: Jan 2003
Reply 3 of 66 (Originally posted on: 12-11-06 12:37:10 PM)

during university I pulled a few all nighters. Most times it wasnt very bad because I was a night hawk, its those "late" projects that suck or a major issue. Such as my 3rd year where a combo of power outage/ virus destroyed a months long work that was due at 8 am and I was on final page at 10pm at night.

Basically re writing 12 pages, from scratch and no sleep = shitty shitty mark. Handed in at 9 am, I was so tired my legs were going numb and giving out. I could careless what the mark was I just handed it in.
emtilt

the cow of horses

Ballkicks: (+486 / -41)
Reply 4 of 66 (Originally posted on: 12-11-06 02:05:03 PM)

I'm only a year into college, but I've never had any need to pull an all-nighter. I suppose that will probably eventually change as my classes get tougher.
L'enfer, c'est les autres.
Hoff
Lightnin' Hopkins

Helping a brother out.

Ballkicks: (+192 / -38)
Reg. Date: Jan 2006
Reply 5 of 66 (Originally posted on: 12-11-06 02:16:54 PM)

Last tuesday night I stayed up all night. I had a music appreciation final, which doesnt sound hard at all, who doesnt appreciate music. This class is evident that if you get a shitty professor, he can make the easiest class impossible. This class was hands down the hardest class i've taken. More than half the people failed the final and the average was a D. So I had to study for that test, I ended up doing pretty average...MAGUSMAGUSMAGUSMAGUS Than I had a final paper due for brit.lit. II about great expectations, and a bio lab final, and a german oral presentation that i had to memorize. And on tuesday before I started studying I had a brit. lit. I final. So yeah that was not a fun two days. And today I have my german final which I was gonna start studying for last night, but what the fuck happens? My gf decides she needs another fucking break from me and says that we should experience other things before next year(when she will be goin to the same college as me). So fuck that bullshit, if thats what I wanted, I wouldn't have been with her all semester and all of last year. Fuckin ass mother fucking great. But on the only positive note is that my final is at 7 tonight, so i have a good amount of time to study today. But mother fucker i hate finals. and bullshit, i hate bullshit.
drahnier
INTL VIP
:iceburn:

Ballkicks: (+886 / -232)
Reply 6 of 66 (Originally posted on: 12-11-06 02:30:48 PM)

If you walk into my appartment any time between 12 and 8 am, this is what you might see.

http://uploaded.interestingnonetheless.net/insane_dreamer/nude.jpg
DRAHNIER
EscalatorToHell

elusive and illustrious

Ballkicks: (+177 / -80)
Reg. Date: Jun 2003
Reply 7 of 66 (Originally posted on: 12-11-06 02:35:50 PM)

ew funyuns MAGUSMAGUSMAGUSMAGUS

i am highly skilled at procrastination.
4 page philosophy paper on the ethics of war due today by noon was started last night at 11pm and finished around 1:15 (take into account frequent cigarette breaks and phonecalls). i think its a pretty fantastic paper not only because of incorporating belle & sebastian AND rilo kiley lyrics this is an emo emoticon, get it??? EMO-TICON!!!
studied for my geology final at 7am, took it at 8:30am.
just started studying for one of my lit. finals at 6pm. other final is late wednesday morning and, realistically, i won't get to it until early wednesday morning.

all in all i haven't gotten any less sleep so far this week than i have the rest of the semester, it's just that this sleep deprivation has less to do with light substance abuse and road-trips and more to do with legitimate college student concerns.
did i really call you?
Sunn O)))
INTL Alumni
14 year RP master

Zan-beef

Ballkicks: (+761 / -127)
Reply 8 of 66 (Originally posted on: 12-11-06 03:21:41 PM)

so I'm off to travel over an hour to drop of a paper I wont do good on given that the marker is more anal than I

maybe I'll get some milk
D
Administrator

Reply 9 of 66 (Originally posted on: 12-11-06 03:29:08 PM)

This past week has been hell. Absolute hell.

Rewind back to two thursdays ago. I get incredibly sick and puke for like 2 days straight, miss thursday lab and friday classes. Miss a homework assignment that was due friday, and my professor has still yet to respond to my 3 emails asking him what the deal is. I mean, he could be cool and accept the fact that I was sick (and I dont really have access to the health-center as easy as the on-campus students have to get a note proving this) and just delete the grade. Or he could give me a zero. I would understand if he did either one, but I really fucking need to know.

Anyway, because I missed the lab, I missed to opportunity to pick what lab I wanted to write the formal report for, and thus got stuck with the one nobody else wanted. I suck at electricity and magnatism anyway, so having the really hard one made things... really really hard.

Anyway, I had a Physics test that monday, so I stayed up almost all night sunday night to study. I ended up doing incredibly bad on that test, but thats okay cause he drops the lowest test grade and my other two grades are respectable. Still, I was up all night.
Then, on tuesday, I had an oral report due. So I had to research and practice that for class the next day. Everyone was able to give presentations on cool cutting-edge technological advancements, while I got stuck presenting about "Couplings." Don't know what couplings are? Basically, they're things that connect two rotating shafts. Neat! Needless to say I couldn't hold anyones interest.

After the oral report, I had to meet with my project group. The project was to build a battle-bot. The competition would be Saturday, and we sort of put it off to the last minute. It was a fun project to do, I wont lie, but meeting all the time during this busy as hell week was not good.

So due Tuesday was Calc3 homework. Not just any homework, big-part-of-grade homework. So that kept me up pretty late.

Then for thursday, our Lab reports were due (the ones I mentioned earlier). I stayed up pretty late working on that until I realized I wasn't going to finish it. I emailed him asking if I could turn it in on Monday. Still, I woke up at 8am and drove to the library to work on it (lab is at 2:30), but I couldn't get it finished. I got an email back from him while I was working saying that it was okay to turn it in Monday. I give up and take a much needed nap in a lounge-couch.

So I do my make-up lab (I was only one of 3 kids that needed to do it, cause I was sick the week before) and then I head home at like 5 O'clock cause lab runs so late. Then its time to study for that Calc3 exam AND a Statics exam... But wait!!!!!!! MIRACLE, I sent a email to my statics professor begging him to move the exam to monday, and apparently some other people did, so I got some inbox love, informing us that our test would now be on Monday (yet he still didn't respond about my fucking homework).

So I study for Calc 3, and am feeling confident. I take the test and felt really confident at the conclusion. After class, I met with my project group and worked on our robot till pretty late at night. For the first time in about a week, I got the opportunity to relax my mind. I went out with some friends I hadn't seen in a really long time and we went to eat. We stayed out real late. Unfortunately for me, I had to wake up at 9 the next morning to finish working on our robot, and then to have the competition.

Our robot did horrible, but it was still a lot of fun anyway. At least we tried to make a weapon, while most groups just designed metal boxes on wheels. booooooring.

Saturday I stay in, expecting that I would work on that lab report so I would have time to study on Sunday night. But no, I found my guitar which I hadn't had a chance to play all week, and spent all night playing and singing.

So Sunday rolls around, i watch the Eagles game, make incredibly slow progress on my lab report. I finally really get started at like 10:00, and I realize its going to take a lot longer than I thought. I work semi-steadily on it until about 7:30 a.m. (when this thread was made), and then I begin studying for statics. Realizing that i'm about to die of no sleep, I take a half hour nap. I wake up and study for Statics from 8:00-9:45, when I have to be on my way to make it to calc3 class.

I get to class and get my test back, the one I was confident about, and see a poor result. I'm very dissapointed. But he drops our lowest test grade, and this grade is higher than my previous lowest test grade, so thats a plus.

I meander on over to statics class to take my test and 50 minutes goes by in 10, I barely got a chance to write the problems down on the paper. I completely bombed it. Horribly.

So I go on over to the library to print out my lab report, and for some reason all the library printers are printing big black lines all over the pages. I go to the third floor and print it out there, where its a little better. I decide I don't give a shit, and print it out on inkstained paper. I go to hand it in, like the professor agreed, but he's not in his office. I go to the Physics office and find out he has NO office hours on Monday. And today is the last day of the semester... Wtf? So the secretary suggests I leave my report in his mailbox, which I do. I promtly email him explaining where my report is.

Then I go to the last physics lecture ever, and its as big of a waste as all the other ones have been.

Now i'm here typing this, and I realize i'm 10 minutes late for my last class for Analysis and Design, the only class I have an A in and probably the only one I will for a long time.

Whoops, peace out.

On the bright side, I don't have anything to do for tomorrow. Finally I get a clear mind tonight. Tomorrow I start studying for finals though, which don't end till next Tuesday (plus I have one on Saturday... and they're all at 8:00am.)

Fuck meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee i gotta roll
"They could have grown up to become Hitler....collectively." - Ztolk's creepy Flash man
D
Administrator

Reply 10 of 66 (Originally posted on: 12-11-06 03:30:17 PM)

BTW heres a link to a video of that battle bot I was talkin about

but seriously now time for class
Ma-Newer
League of Super Sluts

It all became very clear to me sitting out there today that every decision I’ve ever made in my entire life has been wrong.

Ballkicks: (+1024 / -49)
Reg. Date: Sep 2003
Reply 11 of 66 (Originally posted on: 12-11-06 03:33:59 PM)

Reminds me of when I was studying for my final in thermodynamics. I had 90 pages worth of problems alone to go over as practice, a binder worth of my own notes, text book and Schaum's guide all scattered over my desk and bed including about 6 empty red bull containers and other various sugary snack wrappers. Then the exam was in an auditorium which had no desks so they gave us some wood to write on which had to be positioned on an incline on the seat infront of you and kept digging into your stomach. Then on that incline you had to keep your exam, textbook, calculator and analysis charts all from falling over all while solving five ridiculous problems with the pressure of knowing that there would be no partial credit whatsoever for your page long calculations so you can't screw up anywhere. Im so glad that is all over.
Never argue with stupid people. They will drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Pertti Susilainen
Head Priest

mr. sukkit

Ballkicks: (+924 / -57)
Reg. Date: Dec 2002
Reply 12 of 66 (Originally posted on: 12-11-06 03:45:14 PM)

I've been working all day on a paper on a book called Sobre los orķgenes sociales de la Reconquista ("On the social origins of the Reconquista") for my Medieval Society class. Okay, so technically I didn't start working on it until after lunch, but anyway. I wanted to finish it today, but I'm beginning to see that won't be possible. I should have returned the book to the library today, but I'll have to keep it a few more days.

I also have to write another paper on another book for the same class. Since I won't be able to pick it from my uni's library I'll have to ask my brother to get it from his. Anyway, both papers (ten pages each) are due on the 21st.

Then there's that oral presentation on political correctness in the US, due on the 21st too. This one's a team effort, but we haven't started yet.

And next Monday I reckon I'll have to take a sort of oral exam on the Holy Roman Empire.
Šonne onwęcneš eft wineleas guma, gesihš him biforan fealwe wegas, bažian brimfuglas, brędan fežra, hreosan hrim ond snaw hagle gemenged. Žonne beoš žy hefigran heortan benne, sare ęfter swęsne. Sorg biš geniwad žonne maga gemynd mod geondhweorfeš, greteš gliwstafum, georne geondsceawaš secga geseldan; swimmaš oft on weg. Fleotendra ferš no žęr fela bringeš cušra cwidegiedda.
The Wanderer, l. 45-55a
kayte
INTL Premium Member

How long until this becomes my new title let's count the seconds

Ballkicks: (+1019 / -241)
Reg. Date: Nov 2003
Reply 13 of 66 (Originally posted on: 12-11-06 04:55:23 PM)

I'm done for the semester so my only all-nighters are because I can't go to sleep, so I fuck around on the internet.
D
Administrator

Reply 14 of 66 (Originally posted on: 12-11-06 05:38:55 PM)

Well, i'm home, and classes for the semester are officially over!!

Finally i got through the full 7 day hell week!!!!

now i got all night to relax and do nothing, ready to usher in the next week, exam week, titled "slightly less hell week."

But tonight i'm gonna do nothing but eat funyuns (for pleasure this time), play halo, play guitar, and possibly watch some of this Arrested Development DVD my friend lended me last thursday, which I have yet to touch.
Alyantis
FEMALE

Ballkicks: (+89 / -25)
Reg. Date: Apr 2002
Reply 15 of 66 (Originally posted on: 12-11-06 08:29:07 PM)

Dimi I pulled an all nighter thursday night. As a sophmore mechanical engineer, I'm pulling for you.
I Cant Skat3: Well, I may be stupid. I'll let others decide that.
D
Administrator

Reply 16 of 66 (Originally posted on: 12-11-06 08:30:49 PM)

Quoted from Alyantis:
Dimi I pulled an all nighter thursday night. As a sophmore mechanical engineer, I'm pulling for you.

Thats funny, I'm a sophomore mechanical engineer!

*high-five*
etymxris
INTL Developer

JUST AS PLANNED

Ballkicks: (+179 / -16)
Reg. Date: Jun 2004
Reply 17 of 66 (Originally posted on: 12-11-06 08:30:49 PM)

My work never ends. I'll have to take at least one incomplete this semester. But even if I didn't, I need to start working on my thesis. No breaks for me MAGUSMAGUSMAGUSMAGUS
Dante

cocks in my mouth

Ballkicks: (+661 / -97)
Reg. Date: May 2004
Reply 18 of 66 (Originally posted on: 12-11-06 08:36:37 PM)

Math is for nerds!
Work-work-work. Gnaw-gnaw-gnaw. Build-build-build. Must hurry
Wandering Idiot
INTL Premium Member

Surely something dumber has come up since my apparent forgetfulness for STDs and doctor visits.

Ballkicks: (+257 / -16)
Reg. Date: Jul 2003
Reply 19 of 66 (Originally posted on: 12-11-06 09:06:35 PM)

I'm up all sorts of odd hours nowadays. Chances that I'm stoned or drunk past 10pm: 98+%. Factor in a good few hours of Gears of War player matches and some adult swim. Usually I'm asleep around 4am, but sometimes I'll be up for 40 hours and just crash early.

Fuck I hope work will put me a steady schedule, I'm lost as shit waking up at 10am or 2pm every day.
"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."
-Dave Barry
Sunn O)))
INTL Alumni
14 year RP master

Zan-beef

Ballkicks: (+761 / -127)
Reply 20 of 66 (Originally posted on: 12-11-06 09:11:07 PM)

so I need to decide. I have an exam at 8 AM on Wednesday. Should I sleep (and from what times) or should I just stay up?

I'm not a morning person, I tend to go to bed at around 2 AM and wake up near 10AM, this waking up early shit is new to me. I need to take into consideration time to get to class, it will take about an hour, plus sometime to wake up and get ready. So by the time I leave, I hope it's around 6:30.
D
Administrator

Reply 21 of 66 (Originally posted on: 12-11-06 09:57:58 PM)

Quoted from Dante:
Math is for nerds!

Write a thesis about it, i'll be out doing something tangible and useful.
Dante

cocks in my mouth

Ballkicks: (+661 / -97)
Reg. Date: May 2004
Reply 22 of 66 (Originally posted on: 12-11-06 10:21:01 PM)

Quoted from Dimi:
Quoted from Dante:
Math is for nerds!

A computer can't do my job, though. They aren't very good at reporting the news.

...But the thesis thing...Ouch. *sigh*
Work-work-work. Gnaw-gnaw-gnaw. Build-build-build. Must hurry
emtilt

the cow of horses

Ballkicks: (+486 / -41)
Reply 23 of 66 (Originally posted on: 12-11-06 10:27:02 PM)

My major is both math intesive and doesn't produce much in the way of tangible, useful things. Where does this leave me?
L'enfer, c'est les autres.
D
Administrator

Reply 24 of 66 (Originally posted on: 12-11-06 10:29:14 PM)

Quoted from Dante:
Quoted from Dimi:
Quoted from Dante:
Math is for nerds!

A computer can't do my job, though. They aren't very good at reporting the news.

...But the thesis thing...Ouch. *sigh*

Computers can't do my job either. We use computers (that we make, btw) in to help us do a better and faster job. I suspect a computer can do a much better job giving a news report than designing a jet. Have you seen the news lately?

edit: the news is on right now, theres a story about how someone stole a baby jesus from someones lawn. God, there are few things I respect less than Local News.
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 2 3 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 6403 | Total Posts: 66 ]