Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Site Comments > Archives > Archived Forums > Serious Discussions: Too serious to have a double entendre in the title > Victim-based sentencing for violent crimes... > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest.
Page: [ 1 2 ] [ Thread Views: 4533 | Total Posts: 38 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Subscribe To Thread
Should a man who rapes a nine year old girl be given the same sentence as a man who rapes a prostitute?
This poll has expired.
Yes 4 votes, 30.769%
No 9 votes, 69.231%
Other: Specify 0 votes, 0%
Totals: 13 votes, 103.058%
Modify Poll
abused
i done told you once bitch

Looks and acts like a douche-bag

Ballkicks: (+820 / -208)
Reg. Date: Dec 2002
(Originally posted on: 12-07-06 10:59:00 AM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

What is your take on having different levels of sentencing for the same crime, depending on who the victim is and their age.

For example, should a man who rapes a child be given a harsher punishment than someone who rapes a prostitute? Why or why not??
[b"Hey there, Fancypants. Play the songs that make us dance. Play the tunes that make the ladies swoon. A song for all the lonely hearts, shattered dreams and broken parts. It feels like sunny days are coming soon."[/b]
This reply was last edited on 12-07-06 11:27:25 AM by abused.
Scruffy - The Janitor
Alcoholics Anonymous
While anarchy can often turn a humdrum weekend into something unforgettable, eventually the mob must be kept from stealing the conch and killing Piggy.

Pimpin is just a haircut and a shave away!

Ballkicks: (+650 / -57)
Reg. Date: Jan 2003
Reply 1 of 38 (Originally posted on: 12-07-06 05:16:36 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

Most places do have laws punishing those who have sex with minors. I'd be suprised to see a court hearing in which a man who raped a child got the same punishment as a man who raped an adult of any profession.

But yeah, voted yes.
An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools.
Jesu▀
INTL Premium Member
Healing America by Beating People Up

It's "erroneous," you uptight fairy.

Ballkicks: (+137 / -34)
Reply 2 of 38 (Originally posted on: 12-08-06 11:48:25 AM)

I honestly don't see why there should be differing punishment based on the victim. If the offense has degrees, like murder, then it makes sense.

Putting it in different terms, someone should be punished equally for breaking into my house as for breaking into yours. If you enforce victim-based punishment, you're inadvertently also placing a hierarchical value on each victim (person x is worth more, therefore the punishments for acting against them should be higher) which conflicts with the premise of every person being equal under the law.
Without you I am only revolutions of ruin.
Acheron
INTL Premium Member
If I die in Raleigh, at least I will die free.

is this guy acheron???????? hahaha acheron you big fag

Ballkicks: (+224 / -116)
Reg. Date: Mar 2004
Reply 3 of 38 (Originally posted on: 12-09-06 01:03:58 AM)

I'd like to point out that child rape is completely different from raping another adult.

The guy who rapes the college girl should be given the same punishment as the guy who rapes the prostitute, but when it comes to a child that makes the crime far worse.

Voted no.
"Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
-Mark Twain
goatsnacks
Administrators

"When I decide to brush (maybe once a week)" -Snook, INTL's #1 Scrub

Ballkicks: (+512 / -167)
Reg. Date: Feb 2004
Reply 4 of 38 (Originally posted on: 12-09-06 08:45:25 AM)

If it has anything to do with our current jury system you know it'll make a bigger difference if it was a child over a prostitute. If its simply law, well then I don't know.

In either case the mind of the rapist could be warped, or it could be a one time mistake (at least in the prostitutes case). Could a prostitute say she was raped if the guy just didn't pay?

But if you rape a child, I mean...jeez. Something has to be ticking the wrong way upstairs. You don't just do that after a night of heavy drinking or whatever. It indicates something deeper is awry.
Its like watching tv except its a show about wet clothes.
abused

Reply 5 of 38 (Originally posted on: 12-09-06 11:14:08 AM)

Quote:
I'd like to point out that child rape is completely different from raping another adult.

Elaborate please. I see differences in that children are physically weaker and thus unable to defend themselves as well are mentally immature/vulnerable. This notion of children as "easier" and more naive targets is true but how does that make them any more important under the law?
Because of psychological implications?
I'm sure many adults get fucked up in the head from rape.
Because of age? What age is it ok to rape someone? What's the cutoff? If it's 18 how is raping a 17 year old any worse than raping an 18 year old?

Women are weaker than men physically.
Should raping a man be less punishable because he had a better chance of defending himself?

That notion is opening up a lot of doors. I know we're all want to say that violence to children is worse, and I can see that argument because it's a hugely sick thing. I just want to ensure that focus on adult victims isn't ignored... I think treating a violent act towards adults as "less important" than a similar act towards different individuals accomplishes that. They were still raped. They still had to undergo the same physical and psychological pain as other victims. Is it worse with kids? I'd say it probably depends on the person, and even so we can't punish based on reaction rather than action. Each case is so unique, and everyone reacts differently, so that this is impossible and impractical.

Although I can agree with the point of view that a violent crime towards a child is worse morally, I do not think that we can use victim-based sentencing. Treating people differently under the law will make way for a lot of problems and confusion. Let's just jack up rape penalties for any victim to a high level and call it a day.
"Hey there, Fancypants. Play the songs that make us dance. Play the tunes that make the ladies swoon. A song for all the lonely hearts, shattered dreams and broken parts. It feels like sunny days are coming soon."
mmac
INTL Premium Member
it's INTL, not the fucking UN - Amphy

3ms will rise again

Ballkicks: (+254 / -35)
Reg. Date: Feb 2005
Reply 6 of 38 (Originally posted on: 12-09-06 12:25:02 PM)

I think they're saying it's different, not because of how difficult it is, but because a child could be hurt more psychologically than the average adult would. Something that happens at such a young age can affect that child for the rest of their life, more than it would affect an adult.
An atom walks into a bar looking very depressed.
Bartender: What's wrong?
Atom: I've just lost an electron.
Bartender: Are you sure?
Atom: Yeah, I'm positive.
abused

Reply 7 of 38 (Originally posted on: 12-09-06 05:21:01 PM)

Quoted from mmac:
I think they're saying it's different, not because of how difficult it is, but because a child could be hurt more psychologically than the average adult would. Something that happens at such a young age can affect that child for the rest of their life, more than it would affect an adult.

Do you have any scientific data to back up these claims?
"Hey there, Fancypants. Play the songs that make us dance. Play the tunes that make the ladies swoon. A song for all the lonely hearts, shattered dreams and broken parts. It feels like sunny days are coming soon."
Smokey
INTL Premium Member
fuck this title

funkle smokey

Ballkicks: (+845 / -114)
Reg. Date: Jun 2004
Reply 8 of 38 (Originally posted on: 12-12-06 05:06:49 AM)

Quoted from Adam:
Quoted from mmac:

Do you have any scientific data to back up these claims?

Google it, Adam. Simplest terms: Childs brain is like a sponge - you just filled that sponge with rape. The brain is in the developement stage and a traumatic incident, especially one as brutal as rape, is going to stay with them forever.

I'm sure we all have at least minor "traumatic" incidents that stick out from when we were kids...mine involves a painful operation when I was 7 and waking up in the middle of it! Did that scar me for life? Irrational fear of doctors, hospitals, or anything that reminds me of them. I can't walk through the Nursing section of my school because they've deliberately made the entire building a mock hospital.

A mistake and a few doctors scarred me in that way. Now think of rape and primarily the social/sexual ramifications that could have on a growing mind that has imbedded in it the fear of sex, men, or whathave you - there are hundreds upon hundreds of studies out there that detail any scenario you can think of and the many common problems that can occur from such an impact at such a young age.

PS: You also have to be a certain kind of crazy to want to rape kids instead of adults...raping an adult can be a result of many things, sure, but some of those things may be as simple as drunkenness or sexual repression or something like that - You actually don't have to be crazy to rape an adult! Fuck, the mainstream media makes hourly contributions to the rise in sex crime - society has its potholes that help create this kind of behavior in otherwise mentally stable people.

We find the opposite sex physically appealing but we aren't normally wired to find children sexually attractive - so it's a completely different animal.
Sex
atlas sighed (at me)
User is currently banned until further notice.

Reply 9 of 38 (Originally posted on: 12-12-06 07:18:49 PM)

Quote:
We find the opposite sex physically appealing but we aren't normally wired to find children sexually attractive

So, adults, while being attracted to members of the opposite sex, are not "properly wired" when they find younger members of the opposite sex attractive? And, Smokey, how does an arbitrary "right" and "wrong" age at all detract from the physical or emotional attraction an adult can show towards a person?

And I suppose fags aren't normally wired as well, huh Smokey?
goatsnacks
Administrators

"When I decide to brush (maybe once a week)" -Snook, INTL's #1 Scrub

Ballkicks: (+512 / -167)
Reg. Date: Feb 2004
Reply 10 of 38 (Originally posted on: 12-12-06 07:45:43 PM)

Attraction and rape are two different things, Viss.
Its like watching tv except its a show about wet clothes.
Smokey
INTL Premium Member
fuck this title

funkle smokey

Reply 11 of 38 (Originally posted on: 12-12-06 08:50:27 PM)

Quoted from Vissario:
Quote:
We find the opposite sex physically appealing but we aren't normally wired to find children sexually attractive

So, adults, while being attracted to members of the opposite sex, are not "properly wired" when they find younger members of the opposite sex attractive? And, Smokey, how does an arbitrary "right" and "wrong" age at all detract from the physical or emotional attraction an adult can show towards a person?

And I suppose fags aren't normally wired as well, huh Smokey?

You're right - humans are wired to fall hopelessly in lust with anything at all and we should condone whatever horrible things are done and chalk it up to diversity in human nature. Effective post, Vissario.

Also you can't commit a sexual act with a 9 year old that isn't rape or molestation - there's no such thing as a childs consent.
Sex
artzilla
Firefox remembers my PASSWORD

More like Grandpa AWESOME

Ballkicks: (+95 / -25)
Reg. Date: Dec 2005
Reply 12 of 38 (Originally posted on: 12-13-06 05:09:07 PM)

My personal opinion? Anyone who harms a child NEEDS the shit kicked out of them. I'll put it this way, no matter how the court trial turns out, when the child rapist gets to prison, the son of a bitch will be in a Living Hell. The one who rapes a prostitute? Well, he will ultimately be someones bitch. He will survive, the child rapist won't. The child rapist will suffer intensely and eventually be shanked, when the inmates grow bored with hurting him in every way imaginable.
Scarlet
Woah

Skank

Ballkicks: (+82 / -89)
Reg. Date: Apr 2005
Reply 13 of 38 (Originally posted on: 12-14-06 06:14:40 AM)

I think that raping a child is completely different to raping a prostitute. Irrespective of age, the prostitute, as a sex worker, is "putting themselves out" sexually (ie skimpy clothes, actively offering herself for sex etc) - whereas a child is not. Therefore I think the prostitute should take a percent of the "blame" for the crime because she placed herself in a position to be raped, this would leave the rapist with a less severe sentence. In the case of the child, they would not be putting themselves out and thus the blame would lie entirely with the rapist.

I am aware that their are certain complications, such as the prostitute could of been forced into prostitution, but as Adam rightly said "each case is so unique" - this is why I'm going for broader, more encompassing reasoning.

I agree that age plays a part, but Mmac and Smokey have pretty much covered my views on that subject.
- Scarlet.
Jesu▀
INTL Premium Member

Reply 14 of 38 (Originally posted on: 12-14-06 10:25:11 AM)

Quoted from Scarlet:
Therefore I think the prostitute should take a percent of the "blame" for the crime because she placed herself in a position to be raped, this would leave the rapist with a less severe sentence.

You're seriously going to blame the victim here?

Ok, what if I'm a really annoying asshole. Does that justify someone coming up and shooting me? (Oh, he was really annoying. It's ok).

Yes, they may have put themselves in a riskier situation, but still should not diminish their legal rights.

If someone walks home instead of taking a car, and gets mugged, is it less of a crime? They could have driven a car and the opportunity for them to get mugged wouldn't have been there. They were "putting themselves out" there.

Your whole argument doesn't fly for me.

Quoted from Scarlet:
In the case of the child, they would not be putting themselves out and thus the blame would lie entirely with the rapist.

Have you *seen* some of the kids these days?

Adam has the right idea. Just make the punishment very severe, and leave it at that.

Also Smokey - for pedophiles, wouldn't attraction to children be "normal" for them? It's not like they woke up one day and decided "hey, I'm going to find ten year olds attractive".

Most people aren't wired to find children attractive. Also, most people aren't wired to find members of the same sex attractive. But according to current progressive social mores, it's considered normal. You don't decide who you're attracted to, so punishing someone on that basis is no different than racism.

Punishing someone for acting on urges that cause them to harm someone else... that's a completely different story.
This reply was last edited on 12-14-06 10:31:19 AM by Jesu▀.
Smokey
INTL Premium Member
fuck this title

funkle smokey

Reply 15 of 38 (Originally posted on: 12-14-06 12:19:11 PM)

The "have you seen kids these days comments" is irrelevant to the arguement, because even if the 9 year old is dressed as if he or she belongs to Cindy Crawford that bit of blame goes entirely to the parent - and it's not much different with a 17 year old because until that kid is 18 the parents get to choose how they dress....how they act - different story and that's where the difference lies between barely legal and completely off limits illegal. But there can't be too many cases of 9 year olds propositioning 30 year olds so...yeah...even if you wanted to blame the victim you couldn't blame the child.

Quoted from Jesus:

Also Smokey - for pedophiles, wouldn't attraction to children be "normal" for them? It's not like they woke up one day and decided "hey, I'm going to find ten year olds attractive".

"Normal for them" is not how we define "normal" in society and it can be. From a philosophical standpoint, I guess you could muse all day and night about the definition of normal, though. I said they must be crazy - crazy by our standards meaning there needs to be some intervention - I don't believe in prison as the solution to everything and in most child rape cases a mental institution sentence seems much more appropriate than prison...especially since being a child rapist is a great way to get killed in prison...and anyone who truley valued human life wouldn't applaud the murder of anyone, anymore than the rape of anyone.

Quoted from Scarlet:
Therefore I think the prostitute should take a percent of the "blame" for the crime because she placed herself in a position to be raped, this would leave the rapist with a less severe sentence.

Yeah that's a common view among idiots. I just noticed Jesus's response, and I'm lucky I did because I was just going to repeat the same scenario. As he said, legal rights are legal rights and crimes commited rest on the criminal who commited them. Prostitution is illegal in most areas but rape isn't the price for such a crime and shouldn't be.

To actually suggest that a rapist gets a less severe punishment for the rape of a prostitute is to apply judgement and unequal value on the VICTIM and devalues human life. A prostitute has every right a business woman has and ...well...chances are she's probably less of a slut.
Sex
Scarlet
Woah

Skank

Reply 16 of 38 (Originally posted on: 12-15-06 01:38:01 PM)

Quoted from Jesus:
Ok, what if I'm a really annoying asshole. Does that justify someone coming up and shooting me? (Oh, he was really annoying. It's ok).

No, it doesn't. But then what if someone was asking people to shoot them for money, and then someone shot them for free? Surely said person would be attributed some of the blame?

Quoted from Jesus:
Yes, they may have put themselves in a riskier situation, but still should not diminish their legal rights.

What legal rights should a "criminal" (ie the prostitute) have?

Quoted from Jesus:
If someone walks home instead of taking a car, and gets mugged, is it less of a crime? They could have driven a car and the opportunity for them to get mugged wouldn't have been there. They were "putting themselves out" there.

Of course not, but then you're using a pretty exagerated analogy. If somebody is stood in skimpy clothes, offering sex for money, and then they get raped - well then it's partly their fault because they were exhibiting themselves. If you walked down a street with a wad of cash in your hand, and you were mugged for it - then some of the blame for that mugging must lie with you.
- Scarlet.
Jesu▀
INTL Premium Member

Reply 17 of 38 (Originally posted on: 12-15-06 02:52:27 PM)

Quoted from Scarlet:
What legal rights should a "criminal" (ie the prostitute) have?

Prostitution is not illegal everywhere. Like in Canada. So that argument doesn't apply unless we're limiting this United States law.

In that case, the prostitute is running a legitimate business.

Your argument is implying that it would be fine for hungry people to rob grocery stores.

I mean, there are hungry people out there. The grocery store should have some of the blame if they're robbed.

Smokey - my point in regards to the "have you seen what they wear" comment was simply to say that if you're going to differentiate and apply blame based on inviting harm, then you'll have to specify more closely. Scarlet indicated that the prostitute should be held accountable in part because they're wearing skimpy clothes. By that argument, then, a child wearing skimpy clothes should be treated similarly to a prostitute for sentencing.

In addition, in my post regarding what's considered "normal", I wasn't referring to child rapists, I was referring to any person who was sexually attracted to children. You're equating one with the other.
Scarlet
Woah

Skank

Reply 18 of 38 (Originally posted on: 12-15-06 03:39:57 PM)

Quoted from Jesus:
Prostitution is not illegal everywhere. Like in Canada. So that argument doesn't apply unless we're limiting this United States law.

That is why I used quotations to cover "criminal" - I am aware of the differing legalities of prostitution, I just assumed the arguement was centred around US Law. Either way, this is more of a sub-point so it doesn't hold too much significance.

Quoted from Jesus:
Your argument is implying that it would be fine for hungry people to rob grocery stores.

I mean, there are hungry people out there. The grocery store should have some of the blame if they're robbed.

That analogy doesn't really fit; people exhibiting themselves in some way isn't comparable to grocery stores displaying produce.
- Scarlet.
Jesu▀
INTL Premium Member

Reply 19 of 38 (Originally posted on: 12-15-06 05:44:20 PM)

Quoted from Scarlet:
That analogy doesn't really fit; people exhibiting themselves in some way isn't comparable to grocery stores displaying produce.

Why not? They're both selling something.

It's quite comparable.
Scarlet
Woah

Skank

Reply 20 of 38 (Originally posted on: 12-16-06 07:04:40 AM)

Because one is a person that makes descisions concerning themselves and one is a shop? Also, shops don't tend to walk up and down streets at night looking to "sell something" ...
- Scarlet.
Smokey
INTL Premium Member
fuck this title

funkle smokey

Reply 21 of 38 (Originally posted on: 12-17-06 04:50:25 AM)

Quoted from Scarlet:
Because one is a person that makes descisions concerning themselves and one is a shop? Also, shops don't tend to walk up and down streets at night looking to "sell something" ...

You're too fucking stupid for this conversation.

User was banned for this post - Sukkit
Sex
This reply was last edited on 12-17-06 09:38:46 AM by Pertti Susilainen.
Scarlet
Woah

Skank

Reply 22 of 38 (Originally posted on: 12-17-06 05:57:14 AM)

Woah, pwned.

User was warned for this post - Sukkit
- Scarlet.
This reply was last edited on 12-17-06 09:43:03 AM by Pertti Susilainen.
Pertti Susilainen
Head Priest

mr. sukkit

Ballkicks: (+924 / -57)
Reply 23 of 38 (Originally posted on: 12-17-06 09:40:59 AM)

Don't flame, please. And don't reply with "Woah, pwned" either.
đonne onwŠcne­ eft wineleas guma, gesih­ him biforan fealwe wegas, ba■ian brimfuglas, brŠdan fe■ra, hreosan hrim ond snaw hagle gemenged. Ůonne beo­ ■y hefigran heortan benne, sare Šfter swŠsne. Sorg bi­ geniwad ■onne maga gemynd mod geondhweorfe­, grete­ gliwstafum, georne geondsceawa­ secga geseldan; swimma­ oft on weg. Fleotendra fer­ no ■Šr fela bringe­ cu­ra cwidegiedda.
The Wanderer, l. 45-55a
Jesu▀
INTL Premium Member

Reply 24 of 38 (Originally posted on: 12-18-06 10:50:04 AM)

Quoted from Scarlet:

No, but a shop has an owner who is concerned with selling things, and is brightly and festively lit. It may also be open 24 hours (depends on the shop). Some might say that's inviting problems. And yes, they are still looking to "sell something". Just not sex.

Look, where I come from, a prostitute, however socially unacceptable, is still a legitimate business-person, and has the same *legal* rights as anyone else.

Regardless of the analogy you're going to use, you're arguing that person X is worthy of more legal protection than person Y.

There's something about that in your constitution... let's see.
Quote:
Amendment XIV - Citizenship Rights. Ratified 7/9/1868.

1. All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

(emphasis my own)

Equal protection. I'm no lawyer, but doesn't that mean that acting as you suggest and punishing the prostitute rapist less would be illegal?
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 2 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 4533 | Total Posts: 38 ]