Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Site Comments > Archives > Archived Forums > Linux Corner: computers for something other than windows? WHAT > Nintendo Wii > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest.
Page: [ 1 2 3 4 ] [ Thread Views: 9634 | Total Posts: 80 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
Lyle

My penis is huge

Ballkicks: (+243 / -48)
Reg. Date: Nov 2002
(Originally posted on: 10-18-06 11:57:41 AM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

I'm not entirely sure if there has been a thread about the Wii yet or not, but I used the search feature and didn't find one.

Is there anyone else here who is as excited about this as I am? I was lucky enough to be able to pre-order a system (and I say lucky because I work 8-5 every day, but was able to take a VERY early lunch break), but I am torn between keeping it and selling it on ebay to try and make a tidy profit.

I've also pre-ordered Zelda, as well as a 1gig memory stick.

Discuss your enthusiasm for this system.

Also, has anyone else pre-ordered one? Are you planning on keeping or selling it? What games are you excited about?
This reply was last edited on 10-18-06 03:19:31 PM by Lyle.
goatsnacks
Administrators

"When I decide to brush (maybe once a week)" -Snook, INTL's #1 Scrub

Ballkicks: (+512 / -167)
Reg. Date: Feb 2004
Reply 1 of 80 (Originally posted on: 10-19-06 08:03:13 AM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

You're not going to get much money for a Wii, seeing as an approximated 7 million will have been shipped by first quarter '07. I'd just take the thing home and play it.

If you wanted to make money you should've snagged a PS3. What with a smallish 200,000 (400,000 worldwide) to be shipped those are the ones people want. Sony always makes a mountain out of a molehill. (Actually it was the result of a couple things but I like to pretend its all a conspiracy!)

My numbers could be a little off but this is what I remember from a couple different people telling me estimates. If you don't want your Wii I will gladly take it.
You try and mess with mozart your going to get a bullet in your head from butch cassidy.
Lyle

My penis is huge

Reply 2 of 80 (Originally posted on: 10-19-06 09:16:04 AM)

Quoted from Aaron:
You're not going to get much money for a Wii, seeing as an approximated 7 million will have been shipped by first quarter '07. I'd just take the thing home and play it.
there are always stupid people. learn u some stuff ok?? actually, if i do try to sell it (like i said, i'm torn), i'll put a reserve on it.

Quote:
If you wanted to make money you should've snagged a PS3. What with a smallish 200,000 (400,000 worldwide) to be shipped those are the ones people want.
i don't have $600 dollars to shell out for one, unfortunately.

Quote:
Sony always makes a mountain out of a molehill.
agreed. i don't have any desire to get a ps3, at all.
antpocas
"Sex is not dating."
"If it were, Santana and I would be dating.

GLEEK

Ballkicks: (+414 / -233)
Reg. Date: May 2002
Reply 3 of 80 (Originally posted on: 10-20-06 08:04:43 PM)

Quoted from Aaron:

If you wanted to make money you should've snagged a PS3. What with a smallish 200,000 (400,000 worldwide) to be shipped those are the ones people want. Sony always makes a mountain out of a molehill. (Actually it was the result of a couple things but I like to pretend its all a conspiracy!)

My numbers could be a little off but this is what I remember from a couple different people telling me estimates. If you don't want your Wii I will gladly take it.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure your numbers are off. The US is getting 400,000 and Japan is getting 100,000, IIRC. Europe is getting jack shit until March. And, uh, Wii with 7,000,000 shipped by the first (financial?) quarter of 2007? That just sounds ridiculous. The Gamecube only sold about 20,000,000 units worldwide, plus it's probably physically impossible to just build so goddamn many Wii's and ship them all. It also sounds like a logistical nightmare.

I don't like the Wii anyway, and think the controller is retarded, so I hope it fails miserably.
Squareknight
I will never be independant

XX_mira_fan_Xx

Ballkicks: (+181 / -100)
Reply 4 of 80 (Originally posted on: 10-20-06 08:18:24 PM)

Quoted from antpocas:

I don't like the Wii anyway, and think the controller is retarded, so I hope it fails miserably.

I agree so much, not just for Nintendos newfound focus on gimmickry, but the fanboys that lap it up
FISHMANPET

Fishmanpet, son of Manbearpig and Girlfishpet

Ballkicks: (+102 / -63)
Reply 5 of 80 (Originally posted on: 10-20-06 08:41:02 PM)

Quoted from antpocas:

I don't think you should knock it until you try it.
the best thing about high school girls... every year im a little older, but every year they stay the same age. - NNY
Get the sand out of your vagina man. - Wild Bill
When Soccy talks about Star Trek, it's cute. For you, it just makes me picture you in an elaborate suit with a plastic "phaser" propositioning young girls at phaser-point. - Dani
What a bunch of idiots Andy. One day, you'll be their boss. - JamesMartigo
FMP writes erotic stories better than anyone else I know. - Socrateius
goatsnacks
Administrators

Reply 6 of 80 (Originally posted on: 10-20-06 11:46:26 PM)

Yeah it gets confusing when you read three different things and then hear three other different things.

I think I've just grown up on nintendo and thats why I favor it over the others. Not that I'm a fanboy, heck I enjoy pretty much any genre game. Just more of a preference.
You try and mess with mozart your going to get a bullet in your head from butch cassidy.
antpocas
"Sex is not dating."
"If it were, Santana and I would be dating.

GLEEK

Ballkicks: (+414 / -233)
Reply 7 of 80 (Originally posted on: 10-21-06 09:50:06 AM)

Quoted from FISHMANPET:
Quoted from antpocas:

I base my reasoning on the following:
NINTENDO DS UNVEILED
Me: "hey that's pretty cool"
Others: "wtf nintendo what is that shit it sucks lol"
Nintendo: *rolls in cash from DS*

WII UNVEILED
Me: "ahahhahaha that's so retarded"
Others: "AWESOME"
Nintendo: BANKRUPT YOU FAGGOTS ARE GOING BANKRUPT YOU SHOULD'VE NEVER CHALLENGED SEGA LOOK AT WHAT THAT GOT YOU
Lyle

My penis is huge

Reply 8 of 80 (Originally posted on: 10-21-06 12:53:16 PM)

Quoted from antpocas:
Quoted from FISHMANPET:
Quoted from antpocas:

I base my reasoning on the following:
NINTENDO DS UNVEILED
Me: "hey that's pretty cool"
Others: "wtf nintendo what is that shit it sucks lol"
Nintendo: *rolls in cash from DS*

WII UNVEILED
Me: "ahahhahaha that's so retarded"
Others: "AWESOME"
Nintendo: BANKRUPT YOU FAGGOTS ARE GOING BANKRUPT YOU SHOULD'VE NEVER CHALLENGED SEGA LOOK AT WHAT THAT GOT YOU

the ds DOES suck, though. really pretty badly. and i mean, what is it about the wii that doesn't appeal to you? at least nintendo is trying to take gaming in a different direction than most other systems. i mean, not trying, they are. everyone else is just concerned with graphics (don't get me wrong, that's always important), but to change HOW people game? i like that.
IF0
Administrator

Hey, I was with Mary Magdalene last night....smell my finger lol

Ballkicks: (+621 / -173)
Reg. Date: Jul 2003
Reply 9 of 80 (Originally posted on: 10-21-06 01:38:45 PM)

No.. the others are not only concerned with gaming. The others are concerned with becoming the center of a home entertainment center. That's the big difference at the moment. Nintendo is focused solely on games. In a gay way.
Adopt a leggo my eggo ifo.
Squareknight
I will never be independant

XX_mira_fan_Xx

Ballkicks: (+181 / -100)
Reply 10 of 80 (Originally posted on: 10-31-06 08:39:53 PM)

Quote:
and i mean, what is it about the wii that doesn't appeal to you? at least nintendo is trying to take gaming in a different direction than most other systems. i mean, not trying, they are. everyone else is just concerned with graphics (don't get me wrong, that's always important), but to change HOW people game? i like that.

You're recycling their soundbits right now.

"It's gonna change gaming 4evah!"
"Those other guys only care about Graphics!"

Here's the deal, I can see how the Wii might be enjoyable for mindless party games and the like, but nintendo has a history of gimmicks. Virtual Boy, Power glove, accessories simply dont make a game. Gimmick accessories are like the 3D glasses of videogaming, they dont do anything to really improve the games themselves, they just give a different way of playing them. Nintendo games have a history of being about as deep as a kiddy pool when they're based around a gimmick controller. Look at Donkey Konga for example, it's a mascot doing a tech demo for your plastic bongos.

I'm done with Nintendo for the most part, exept for Zelda. Too many recycled mascots, too much focus on perhipherals.

Other games will begin to become more emotional, the presentation more cinematic, the characters more dimensional and real. Nintendo will still be touting it's Wii 3, which features a cat to pee on to move foreward, a mallet to hit in order to move left and the moevement of your right and left toe to control weapons (backwards and right movements controlled by atmospheric conditions) IT'S A TOTALLY NEW WAY TO PLAY WOOOAAAAHHHHH screw those guys with their deep, cinematic games that involve interesting characters and not mascots and decent technological graphics we got CONTROLLERS!

I also dont think I could stand swinging around a controller like a retard for an hour, talk about lactic acid buildup.
Jesuß
INTL Premium Member
Healing America by Beating People Up

It's "erroneous," you uptight fairy.

Ballkicks: (+137 / -34)
Reg. Date: Dec 2002
Reply 11 of 80 (Originally posted on: 11-02-06 06:31:06 PM)

Without really judging the games that are produced, we can't say for sure that's is going to be a gimmick system. I have my doubts of course, but for the time being I'll give it the benefit of the doubt and get one.
Without you I am only revolutions of ruin.
Sunn O)))
INTL Alumni
14 year RP master

Zan-beef

Ballkicks: (+761 / -127)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
Reply 12 of 80 (Originally posted on: 11-07-06 01:14:35 AM)

the new Zelda has officially turned me on; thus, I shall purchase the Wii.
Scruffy - The Janitor
Alcoholics Anonymous
While anarchy can often turn a humdrum weekend into something unforgettable, eventually the mob must be kept from stealing the conch and killing Piggy.

Pimpin is just a haircut and a shave away!

Ballkicks: (+650 / -57)
Reg. Date: Jan 2003
Reply 13 of 80 (Originally posted on: 11-19-06 09:02:01 AM)

just got home from target (east town store, madison, WI*). my friend (NNY) and i went to camp out after work last night (about 3am). we did a drive by on target, best buy and walmart. target and best buy had some decent sized lines (about 20-25) walmart had 3 people (two of whom were togeter). so we go back there and hang around for half an hour or so before someone comes out and tells us they sold all their nintendos last night at midnight.

we made it in within the last ten or so slots at target, thankfully. now we're gonna fix some breakfast, have a celebratory beer and then go back and get our prize and zelda.

on the off chance that any of you guys were there (yeah, i know, probably not), we were arranging games of meteos and tetris. Wii (lol) managed to get a pretty good set of games going though, 4-5 people together playing.
An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools.
etymxris
INTL Developer

JUST AS PLANNED

Ballkicks: (+179 / -16)
Reg. Date: Jun 2004
Reply 14 of 80 (Originally posted on: 11-19-06 09:37:16 AM)

The best game controller was found over ten years ago: it's the combination of keyboard and mouse.
goatsnacks
Administrators

Reply 15 of 80 (Originally posted on: 11-19-06 10:47:58 AM)

My friend got a Wii last night and today at some point he is coming over so that we can play.

I am excited i'm a serial-killer :)
Air Bud
Internet Superstar

Some plants even masturbate into their own vaginas in order to reproduce.

Ballkicks: (+918 / -56)
Reg. Date: Sep 2001
Reply 16 of 80 (Originally posted on: 11-19-06 05:36:54 PM)

Heading over to a friend's house right now to check out the Wii, wooo. I'm actually excited about this. PS3 can wait.
IF0
Administrator

Hey, I was with Mary Magdalene last night....smell my finger lol

Ballkicks: (+621 / -173)
Reply 17 of 80 (Originally posted on: 11-19-06 07:06:17 PM)

Quote:
The first buyer, Isaiah Triforce Johnson, had been waiting in line outside the store for more than a week. He wore a Nintendo Power Glove, a wearable controller that came out in 1989, while shaking hands with Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime after buying the first Wii. Johnson said he had legally changed his middle name to a reference in Nintendo's "Zelda" series of games.

Adopt a leggo my eggo ifo.
Wandering Idiot
INTL Premium Member

Surely something dumber has come up since my apparent forgetfulness for STDs and doctor visits.

Ballkicks: (+257 / -16)
Reply 18 of 80 (Originally posted on: 11-20-06 01:42:39 PM)

I camped out for one, so did my roommate. After playing it, I realized the cotrollers were actually kinda cool, especially for Wii Sports. Marvel Ultimate Alliance is boring as fuck though, just like X-Men Legends, just far more boring. Zelda looks pretty cool though. We've been playing my roommates' when we haven't been sleeping, and so far we all love it.

I sold mine, after considering that we have one here already and I can always get one again later. I was thinking of giving it to my little brother (he's 9 now) for christmas, but he's evidently rather clueless about the whole thing, and rarely touches his Gamecube as it is. Just shipped it this morning after an SA goon paypalled me the cash for it.

You can make money on a Wii, but don't use ebay if you get one and plan to sell it (or are buying). Check your local Craigslist first, then the local newspaper online classifieds. Prices should be coming down on the system soon enough because of the impending flood of systems, so selling is going to be limited past today or tomorrow if you're wanting to make cash off of it.

Again, the controllers are fucking awesome. Don't knock it til you try it.
"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."
-Dave Barry
Jesuß
INTL Premium Member

Reply 19 of 80 (Originally posted on: 11-21-06 09:49:04 AM)

So what do you all think about the controversy / flamewar that has erupted around that guy's 8.8/10 review of Zelda?

Teh inturnetses are crazy.

( http://www.joystiq.com/2006/11/18/groupthink-and-zelda/) for those that haven't heard about it.
Hasty Penguin
get in the box
People are a danger to society.

there is a guy who gets it on with three girls at once and they all have amazing unibrows

Ballkicks: (+1307 / -46)
Reply 20 of 80 (Originally posted on: 11-21-06 11:56:48 AM)

I am excited for this only because my friends and I love Smash Bros. and the Mario Party series of games. It's something that just goes on in the background during our conversations and we all love to get angry at each other.

As far as the Wii and I, I certainly will not buy or own one at any point unless I win one for free. I've never owned a video game system and never plan to. I'd just sink my life into it and never focus on what I need to.

Kind of like the internet.
"One time I spilled ice cream on my pants and we had to throw them out."
"Last night I fell asleep, and when I woke up, my room was a black and white movie."

Theatre on the Edge
My Musical Compositions
The Hunger Site
Herminator
vervet is a dumby

Jamie Foxx kicks ass you whale fart >:(

Ballkicks: (+12 / -10)
Reg. Date: Nov 2005
Reply 21 of 80 (Originally posted on: 11-21-06 02:57:14 PM)

In my opinion Nintendo has been lost behind the power curve for too long. Flashy titles and actually pretty sweet controller schemes do bring out the curiousness but not enough to spend half of the cost of the PS3 which I will be buying once the scrounging has been completed. To me great idea, great price considering (cost of 360/PS3) but just lacks the performance.
Scruffy - The Janitor
Alcoholics Anonymous
While anarchy can often turn a humdrum weekend into something unforgettable, eventually the mob must be kept from stealing the conch and killing Piggy.

Reply 22 of 80 (Originally posted on: 11-24-06 03:58:00 PM)

Currently have 8 hours of solid play time clocked on Twilight Princess...and I'm only at the second major dungeon.

To Gears of War, I say "FEH!"

This game has just about broken my WoW addiction. Actually logged on for the first time in days, wandered around for awhile, then thought "fuck this", and am now going to get back to some sweet sweet Zelda action.
An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools.
Jesuß
INTL Premium Member

Reply 23 of 80 (Originally posted on: 11-25-06 12:06:42 AM)

I heard that the controller is a little over-sensitive. Have you found that, or is it just the whining of haters?
Scruffy - The Janitor
Alcoholics Anonymous

Reply 24 of 80 (Originally posted on: 11-25-06 05:00:10 AM)

That's just the whining of people with serious muscle tremor issues. I've found the remote to be perfectly sensitive. Sure, I've fired an arrow just barely to the side of something, missing it narrowly, but at least it's my own fault and not the fault of a control that jumps all over the goddamned place.
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 2 3 4 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 9634 | Total Posts: 80 ]