Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Discussion Forums > The "Song A Day" Thread Forum > School Shootings, Amish Edition > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest. Moderated by: D drahnier
Page: [ 1 2 3 4 ] [ Thread Views: 6972 | Total Posts: 95 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
Wandering Idiot
INTL Premium Member

Surely something dumber has come up since my apparent forgetfulness for STDs and doctor visits.

Ballkicks: (+257 / -16)
Reg. Date: Jul 2003
(Originally posted on: 10-02-06 12:49:55 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/10/02/amish.shooting.ap/index.html

Quoted from CNN:
NICKEL MINES, Pennsylvania (AP) -- A gunman killed six people at a one-room Amish schoolhouse Monday morning in Pennsylvania's bucolic Lancaster County, and several others were taken to hospitals with injuries, authorities said.

"So far, six confirmed dead, and the helicopters are pulling into (Lancaster General Hospital) like crazy," Coroner G. Gary Kirchner said.

It was unclear if the shooter was among the six. State Police Cpl. Ralph Striebig said earlier that the shooter was dead. (Watch helicopter video from the scene of the shooting -- 1:00 )

Three girls, all in critical condition with gunshot wounds, were admitted to Lancaster General Hospital, spokesman John Lines told WGAL-TV.

Officials at the Penn State Milton S. Hershey Medical Center confirmed that victims also were being admitted there. A spokeswoman said the hospital anticipated more than one patient but did not know how many.

Police surrounded the one-room school late Monday morning, and the Lancaster County 911 Web site reported that dozens of emergency units were dispatched to a "medical emergency" at 10:45 a.m.

Two hours later, about three dozen people in traditional Amish clothing, hats and bonnets stood near the small school building speaking to one another, several young people and authorities.

At least two ambulances had left the scene, and at least one person was taken on a stretcher to a medical helicopter.

Quoted from Another CNN Article:
PARADISE, Pennsylvania (CNN) -- A 32-year-old truck driver walked into a one-room Amish schoolhouse Monday, binding and shooting three girls execution-style before killing himself, police said.

Eight other girls were wounded in the attack, which police said appeared to be a revenge killing for an incident that occurred two decades ago.

"It would take a miracle for us to not lose more lives today," said Commissioner Jeffrey Miller of the Pennsylvania State Police, adding that the wounded were in critical condition -- two of them "very dire." (Watch how the gunman got in and what he did -- 7:44 Video)

The attack was the nation's third deadly school shooting in a week.

The gunman, Charles Carl Roberts IV, was armed with three guns, a stun gun, two knives and a bag holding 600 rounds of ammunition, Miller said.

He was also carrying an assortment of tools and other items, including toilet paper, that led police to believe he was prepared for an extended standoff.

"It seems as though he wanted to attack young female victims, and this is close to his residence. That's the only reason we can figure that he went to the school," said Miller. (Read Miller's dramatic account)

"It's a horrendous crime scene," he said.

The shooting took place in Lancaster County, about 60 miles west of Philadelphia, at a school run by the Amish community. There were 26 students in the school Monday, 11 of them girls. (Watch police investigate shooting scene -- 1:00)

The school teaches students ranging from 6 to 13, with some older students working as teachers' aides. Two students and an aide were dead at the scene, with one girl dying in a state trooper's arms, Miller said.

The wounded girls were taken to several hospitals in the central Pennsylvania area, some of them with gunshot wounds to the head.

Roberts drove a commercial milk truck, said Miller. He was not Amish, was not previously wanted by authorities and had no known criminal history.

The Bart, Pennsylvania, resident had three children, and left several notes for his family "along the lines of suicide notes," Miller said.

The notes were "rambling" and "didn't make much sense," Miller said.

Roberts did not respond when police at the scene attempted to communicate with him, and troopers were preparing to storm the schoolhouse before the shooting began, Miller said.

Roberts' wife tried to call him when she found the notes, Miller said. He returned the call on his cell phone, told her he wouldn't be coming home and "that he was acting out to achieve revenge for something that happened 20 years ago."

The suspect called 911 and "made a declaration that if the state police didn't leave the property he would start shooting people within 10 seconds."

"Within seconds, he just started firing in rapid succession."

Police then stormed the schoolhouse through the windows and found Roberts dead, Miller said. He had fired at least one shotgun blast at police.
Gunman let boys go

The commissioner said Roberts had worked a shift that ended about 3 a.m. Monday and taken his children to their bus stop before beginning his rampage.

Police said he had barricaded himself in the schoolhouse with two-by-four and two-by-six pieces of lumber, which he brought to the scene in a borrowed pickup truck.

"He did a great deal of planning," Miller said. "It appears that he intended to be prepared for a lengthy siege."

Miller said that during the attack, Roberts apparently told students to line up in front of the blackboard. He began to tie his female captives' feet together. He let the 15 boys in the classroom leave.

Miller said Roberts also allowed an adult female who was pregnant to leave with three other adult females who had infant children with them.

The teacher who was released was able to alert authorities, Miller said.

"Apparently, there was some sort of an issue in his past that for some reason, he wanted to exact revenge against female victims. That's all I can tell you right now," Miller said.

Miller said Roberts' grudge did not appear to involve the Amish community and that he may have chosen his target out of convenience, perhaps thinking "getting into a school like this was maybe just a little bit easier."

A man who said he was a friend of the Roberts family, Dwight Lefever, read a statement attributed to the gunman's wife, Marie Roberts, according to CNN affiliate WGAL.

"The man that did this today was not the Charlie I've been married to for almost 10 years. My husband was loving, supportive, thoughtful. All the things you'd always want and more. He was an exceptional father," the statement said.

"Our hearts are broken, our lives are shattered, and we grieve for the innocents and lives that were lost today. Above all, please pray. Pray for the families who lost children today, and please pray, too, for our family and children."

Lancaster County's 911 Web site reported dozens of emergency vehicles -- including at least nine ambulances -- were dispatched to Bart Township shortly before 11 a.m. for a "medical emergency." The Lancaster County emergency communications Web site showed 20 incident calls listed to the normally quiet Bart Township at 10:48 a.m.

Shortly after the attack, men, women and girls in traditional Amish clothing gathered in small groups outside the country schoolhouse along a dirt road. Horse-drawn carriages could be seen in a nearby parking lot.

The school is one of about 150 that serve the Amish population of about 200,000, said Donald Kraybill, a sociology professor at nearby Elizabethtown College.

"They typically are one-room facilities operated by Amish parents," Kraybill said. "There usually are not any security concerns or security risks in the schools, so this is quite a shock."

Aaron Meyer, who owns a buggy company in the nearby village of Bird in Hand, said the largely rural Amish country had experienced nothing like the crime in the 25 years he has lived in the area.

"Many of these townships there have no police at all, because there's no crime," Meyer told CNN.

On Wednesday, a 53-year-old man entered a high school in Bailey, Colorado, where he held several female students hostage at gunpoint. He shot one girl before killing himself seconds after a SWAT team stormed the classroom.

A high school student near Madison, Wisconsin, is suspected of fatally gunning down his principal on Friday, after he complained about being bullied and was disciplined for carrying tobacco.

It's kinda funny, admit it.

Edit: It's not funny anymore MAGUSMAGUSMAGUSMAGUS
"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."
-Dave Barry

This reply was last edited on 10-02-06 08:37:58 PM by Wandering Idiot.
kayte
INTL Premium Member

How long until this becomes my new title let's count the seconds

Ballkicks: (+1019 / -241)
Reg. Date: Nov 2003
Reply 1 of 95 (Originally posted on: 10-02-06 01:22:34 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

Surprising maybe, funny no.
Wandering Idiot
INTL Premium Member

Surely something dumber has come up since my apparent forgetfulness for STDs and doctor visits.

Ballkicks: (+257 / -16)
Reply 2 of 95 (Originally posted on: 10-02-06 01:28:23 PM)

Okay, so it's not funny to those not cynical. They're saying at least 6 dead now. Supposedly a gunman walked in, he's dead also according to what CNN is saying now.

Now if it was amish on amish violence with muzzleloaders/muskets, then it would be funny.
"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."
-Dave Barry
mmac
INTL Premium Member
it's INTL, not the fucking UN - Amphy

3ms will rise again

Ballkicks: (+254 / -35)
Reg. Date: Feb 2005
Reply 3 of 95 (Originally posted on: 10-02-06 01:43:59 PM)

so they guy that was shooting was amish or no? I'm cynical, so if it was an amish guy I'm ROFL..... otherwise that guy should get the chair.
This signature is only a temporary replacement for something that is actually funny.

nevermind, this is permanent
Pertti Susilainen
Head Priest

mr. sukkit

Ballkicks: (+924 / -57)
Reg. Date: Dec 2002
Reply 4 of 95 (Originally posted on: 10-02-06 02:03:03 PM)

What will the media do? Blaming it on rock music and videogames will be a bit difficult this time.
đonne onwŠcne­ eft wineleas guma, gesih­ him biforan fealwe wegas, ba■ian brimfuglas, brŠdan fe■ra, hreosan hrim ond snaw hagle gemenged. Ůonne beo­ ■y hefigran heortan benne, sare Šfter swŠsne. Sorg bi­ geniwad ■onne maga gemynd mod geondhweorfe­, grete­ gliwstafum, georne geondsceawa­ secga geseldan; swimma­ oft on weg. Fleotendra fer­ no ■Šr fela bringe­ cu­ra cwidegiedda.
The Wanderer, l. 45-55a
Bon

Village Idiot

Ballkicks: (+162 / -84)
Reg. Date: Sep 2002
Reply 5 of 95 (Originally posted on: 10-02-06 02:45:20 PM)

Too much time playing marbles behind the shed, not enough barn raising is what I'm blaming this on.
ôWas der Tod der Elf einmal bedeuten wird, verm÷gen heute nur wenige zu ahnen Ś noch weniger kann ich darŘber schreiben. Wir stehen mitten in einer grossen Zeitenwende. Was wir alle durchmachen sind ihre Geburtswehen. Alles scheint negativ Ś und einmal wird dann doch Neues and Grosses geboren werden....ö

RUDOLF HESS
abused
i done told you once bitch

Looks and acts like a douche-bag

Ballkicks: (+820 / -208)
Reply 6 of 95 (Originally posted on: 10-02-06 02:50:19 PM)

Ok, I hate to demonstrate my extreme religious ignorance, but can someone give me a quick tl;dr summary on the Amish faith.

PS - These school shootings are disgusting and the media is definitely helping with copy-cat crimes by giving these sick fucks so much attention.
Alloy
Grammar Whores Unite

Androgynous Mystic Wizard

Ballkicks: (+95 / -20)
Reg. Date: Jan 2006
Reply 7 of 95 (Originally posted on: 10-02-06 03:23:04 PM)

Amish don't believe in using technology unless absolutely necessary. They're a pretty strict and closed Anabaptist sect. They live like it's the 18th Century. Genetic diseases among them are pretty common, since they don't marry outside of the faith. Uh. That's all I know. Oh, and they speak a dialect of German.
SUL
Analyzing humor is like dissecting a frog. Few people are interested and the frog dies of it. - E.B White
Hasty Penguin
get in the box
People are a danger to society.

there is a guy who gets it on with three girls at once and they all have amazing unibrows

Ballkicks: (+1307 / -46)
Reg. Date: May 2002
Reply 8 of 95 (Originally posted on: 10-02-06 03:24:25 PM)

Quoted from Sukkit:
What will the media do? Blaming it on rock music and videogames will be a bit difficult this time.

Hahahaha, comedy.

Maybe the Amish were thinking "Hey, even Quebec is doing it, maybe we ARE behind the times..."
"One time I spilled ice cream on my pants and we had to throw them out."
"Last night I fell asleep, and when I woke up, my room was a black and white movie."

Theatre on the Edge
My Musical Compositions
The Hunger Site
Hoff
Lightnin' Hopkins

Helping a brother out.

Ballkicks: (+192 / -38)
Reply 9 of 95 (Originally posted on: 10-02-06 04:04:11 PM)

I would like to quote wierd al, it looks like those poor souls will be "living in amish paradise" now. Its a good song too, i heard some rapper stole it from him tho. wtf.
No ifs ands or buts, these kids got guts.

-Mike O'Malley (Global Guts)
goatsnacks
Administrators

"When I decide to brush (maybe once a week)" -Snook, INTL's #1 Scrub

Ballkicks: (+512 / -167)
Reg. Date: Feb 2004
Reply 10 of 95 (Originally posted on: 10-02-06 04:10:07 PM)

Quoted from Hoff:
I would like to quote wierd al, it looks like those poor souls will be "living in amish paradise" now. Its a good song too, i heard some rapper stole it from him tho. wtf.
uh...weird al parodied it from gangsta's paradise.

Kinda fucked up when you go to school worrying about a zit you couldn't pop and then BAM you're dead. I just wonder how the amish community will deal with security issues in their schools because of the no-technology thing. It could get difficult.
You try and mess with mozart your going to get a bullet in your head from butch cassidy.
Hoff
Lightnin' Hopkins

Helping a brother out.

Reply 11 of 95 (Originally posted on: 10-02-06 04:14:49 PM)

Quoted from Aaron:
Quoted from Hoff:

Wrong.

Ztolk
INTL Premium Member
Rawr.

definitely threw the blue lego

Ballkicks: (+838 / -47)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
Reply 12 of 95 (Originally posted on: 10-02-06 04:16:10 PM)

Did he shoot the people with a bow and arrows?
"I used the internet to get laid once. That is not a shining moment of pride for me. The worst thing? She evidently gave me chlamydia, which I evidently got cleared up."
-Wandering Idiot
goatsnacks
Administrators

"When I decide to brush (maybe once a week)" -Snook, INTL's #1 Scrub

Ballkicks: (+512 / -167)
Reg. Date: Feb 2004
Reply 13 of 95 (Originally posted on: 10-02-06 04:23:20 PM)

Quoted from Hoff:
Quoted from Aaron:
Quoted from Hoff:

Wrong.
Rly? Weird. If thats true then it makes that song and gansta's paradise 10x more hilarious.
You try and mess with mozart your going to get a bullet in your head from butch cassidy.
cunterhoXen
damn, i am good
mass pms are gay and annoying, faggot

As witty as... well, he's not witty. But atleast he's annoying, the strange fetish for \

Ballkicks: (+23 / -18)
Reg. Date: Sep 2006
Reply 14 of 95 (Originally posted on: 10-02-06 04:29:29 PM)

Quoted from Hoff:
Quoted from Aaron:
Quoted from Hoff:

Wrong.

http://www.weirdal.com/parodypolkas.htm

maybe you should shoot weird al an email because he seems to be confused about the origin of his own song
IF0
Administrator

Hey, I was with Mary Magdalene last night....smell my finger lol

Ballkicks: (+621 / -173)
Reply 15 of 95 (Originally posted on: 10-02-06 04:31:32 PM)

*sigh* Did any of you actually read about this?

An Amish guy did not do the shooting. It was some milk truck driver that had issues with women. He invaded the schoolhouse, separated the people by gender, and let the guys go. He then proceeded to execute the females.

And then offed himself.
Adopt a leggo my eggo ifo.
[01:19] witty tirade: wait wait wait
[01:19] witty tirade: let me get this straight
[01:19] witty tirade: I'm the thin attractive one
[01:19] witty tirade: and you, the fat one, are making fun of me?
[01:19] witty tirade: no sir I do not believe it.

[17:54] <vissario> are you black IFO?
Snowy
INTL Premium Member

i always try to make a statement with my fashion...thats why today i wore a crop top with a pic of richard nixon captioned: growl at sweat

Ballkicks: (+899 / -313)
Reply 16 of 95 (Originally posted on: 10-02-06 05:29:39 PM)

These poor fucking kids.

Useless little atoms are burning all the bridges
kayte
INTL Premium Member

How long until this becomes my new title let's count the seconds

Ballkicks: (+1019 / -241)
Reg. Date: Nov 2003
Reply 17 of 95 (Originally posted on: 10-02-06 05:42:05 PM)

Quoted from Adam:
Ok, I hate to demonstrate my extreme religious ignorance, but can someone give me a quick tl;dr summary on the Amish faith.

Jesus-loving technophobes, wikipedia.org.

Quoted from IF0:

An Amish guy did not do the shooting. It was some milk truck driver that had issues with women. He invaded the schoolhouse, separated the people by gender, and let the guys go. He then proceeded to execute the females.

"Issues with women" puts it rather mildly, I'd say.

Quoted from BBC:

The attack happened at a school for children aged six to 13.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/5400570.stm

Blame it on the milkman, eh.
IF0
Administrator

Hey, I was with Mary Magdalene last night....smell my finger lol

Ballkicks: (+621 / -173)
Reply 18 of 95 (Originally posted on: 10-02-06 06:16:42 PM)

I wish he would've said what it was that caused him to freak.
Adopt a leggo my eggo ifo.
[01:19] witty tirade: wait wait wait
[01:19] witty tirade: let me get this straight
[01:19] witty tirade: I'm the thin attractive one
[01:19] witty tirade: and you, the fat one, are making fun of me?
[01:19] witty tirade: no sir I do not believe it.

[17:54] <vissario> are you black IFO?
Hoff
Lightnin' Hopkins

Helping a brother out.

Reply 19 of 95 (Originally posted on: 10-02-06 06:17:58 PM)

And I was just joking about the wierd al thing, dont you ppl know sarcasm?

Pertti Susilainen
Head Priest

mr. sukkit

Reply 20 of 95 (Originally posted on: 10-02-06 06:19:15 PM)

I bet the milkman worked for Phonak.

Why do I bother, it's not like Surt or drah will read this 
đonne onwŠcne­ eft wineleas guma, gesih­ him biforan fealwe wegas, ba■ian brimfuglas, brŠdan fe■ra, hreosan hrim ond snaw hagle gemenged. Ůonne beo­ ■y hefigran heortan benne, sare Šfter swŠsne. Sorg bi­ geniwad ■onne maga gemynd mod geondhweorfe­, grete­ gliwstafum, georne geondsceawa­ secga geseldan; swimma­ oft on weg. Fleotendra fer­ no ■Šr fela bringe­ cu­ra cwidegiedda.
The Wanderer, l. 45-55a
D
Administrator

i didn't have the strength to get it all the way off

Ballkicks: (+1950 / -91)
Reply 21 of 95 (Originally posted on: 10-02-06 06:22:31 PM)

Quoted from unterhosen:
Quoted from Hoff:
Quoted from Aaron:
Quoted from Hoff:

Wrong.

http://www.weirdal.com/parodypolkas.htm

maybe you should shoot weird al an email because he seems to be confused about the origin of his own song

No shit guys, he was fucking kidding. But thanks for the weird al url.

As for the Amish, they crowd up the roadways with their horse and buggy's when driving through lancaster county and the horses sometimes leave big turds in the middle of the road, but usually they have buckets on their asses.
"They could have grown up to become Hitler....collectively." - Ztolk's creepy Flash man
Snowy
INTL Premium Member

i always try to make a statement with my fashion...thats why today i wore a crop top with a pic of richard nixon captioned: growl at sweat

Ballkicks: (+899 / -313)
Reply 22 of 95 (Originally posted on: 10-02-06 06:50:26 PM)

You know, a lack of compassion and empathy for others is one of the defining characteristics of a psychopath. I remember back when I first joined there was a big discussion with Drah about whether he was correct in labelling himself a psychopath, but really when a story like this breaks and all some people can do is crack jokes on the internet, it really illuminates for me what worthless sacks of shit the majority of our race really are.

Nobody is perfect, least of all me, but the amount of people who present information like this online and instantly crack an Amish joke or find it amusing first, whatever else second really disgusts me. The internet, it's great..but we exist in it's lowliest ghetto, never doubt it.

Useless little atoms are burning all the bridges
D
Administrator

i didn't have the strength to get it all the way off

Ballkicks: (+1950 / -91)
Reply 23 of 95 (Originally posted on: 10-02-06 06:56:37 PM)

For the record, what I said about the amish wasn't a joke. I live 45 minutes away from Lancaster County (Amish Country, where this happened), and that was just some first-person info about the Amish, however useless it may be.
"They could have grown up to become Hitler....collectively." - Ztolk's creepy Flash man
Pertti Susilainen
Head Priest

mr. sukkit

Reply 24 of 95 (Originally posted on: 10-02-06 06:57:31 PM)

It's just our way of coping with pain. And with boredom. Don't forget about boredom.
The Wanderer, l. 45-55a
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 2 3 4 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 6972 | Total Posts: 95 ]