Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Discussion Forums > The "Song A Day" Thread Forum > Popped collars > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest. Moderated by: D drahnier
Page: [ 1 2 3 4 ] [ Thread Views: 6311 | Total Posts: 80 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
D
Administrator

i didn't have the strength to get it all the way off

Ballkicks: (+1950 / -91)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
(Originally posted on: 09-15-06 07:45:02 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

This is about a lot more than Popped collars, though i'm not gonna bother elaborating. Lets just say, I go to college. I'm a sophomore. I commute so I get a whooole lot less interaction with everyone on campus then every one else, so freshman year this somehow passed over my head without me noticing.

But now i'm starting to notice much more. A lot of these rich kids are fucking shallow. Just fake, horribly fake. Its annoying and disgusting. Heres a picture I saw in the school newspaper yesterday making fun of it, I found it hilarious and dead-on.

"They could have grown up to become Hitler....collectively." - Ztolk's creepy Flash man
IF0
Administrator

Hey, I was with Mary Magdalene last night....smell my finger lol

Ballkicks: (+621 / -173)
Reg. Date: Jul 2003
Reply 1 of 80 (Originally posted on: 09-15-06 07:49:55 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

Popped collars = very bad. I see them now and then here. Usually with the frat boys.
Adopt a leggo my eggo ifo.
[01:19] witty tirade: wait wait wait
[01:19] witty tirade: let me get this straight
[01:19] witty tirade: I'm the thin attractive one
[01:19] witty tirade: and you, the fat one, are making fun of me?
[01:19] witty tirade: no sir I do not believe it.

[17:54] <vissario> are you black IFO?
Ma-Newer
League of Super Sluts

It all became very clear to me sitting out there today that every decision Iĺve ever made in my entire life has been wrong.

Ballkicks: (+1024 / -49)
Reg. Date: Sep 2003
Reply 2 of 80 (Originally posted on: 09-15-06 09:54:09 PM)

I'm interested in the article at the bottom that is talking about victorias secret and flip flops. That sounds like a sexier trend than popped collars.
Never argue with stupid people. They will drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Dante

cocks in my mouth

Ballkicks: (+661 / -97)
Reg. Date: May 2004
Reply 3 of 80 (Originally posted on: 09-16-06 12:19:31 AM)

Rich people suck because they don't understand enough. Poor people suck, stemming from a different breed of ignorance.

I don't what the middle ground is; I hate everyone UR THE GHEYEST PERSNO EVAR SNDAMIT!!1
Work-work-work. Gnaw-gnaw-gnaw. Build-build-build. Must hurry
kayte
INTL Premium Member

How long until this becomes my new title let's count the seconds

Ballkicks: (+1019 / -241)
Reg. Date: Nov 2003
Reply 4 of 80 (Originally posted on: 09-16-06 01:12:55 AM)

Someone needs to alert Hessian to this thread.
girlsgonedocile
The Whole Sick Crew

like a daydream or a fever

Ballkicks: (+40 / -7)
Reg. Date: Jul 2006
Reply 5 of 80 (Originally posted on: 09-16-06 01:37:14 AM)

That comic was stupid and it made no sense. And collar popping is (was?) just a retarded trend, like wearing your pants backwards, or wearing super tight jeans or wearing super baggy jeans or wearing pink, they're all just trends. What the comic has to say about people being shallow I don't see. And why is he crying? It makes no sense. Maybe his parents just got killed or something?

Quote:
A lot of these rich kids are fucking shallow. Just fake, horribly fake. Its annoying and disgusting.

I could be wrong cause I don't know you very well, but you seem kind of uppity too. There's no difference between the rich, arrogant, shallow people you describe and some of the alternative groups who are just as arrogant, stuck up, and exclusive as the preps. It's just that it may be personified with an accoustic guitar and a scraggly goatee instead of a popped collar. It's not fair to demonize the symbols of a certain social sect without doing the same to all other groups. Goths, punks, nerds, druggies whatever, they all have shitty shallow people.
start diggin'
D
Administrator

Reply 6 of 80 (Originally posted on: 09-16-06 02:54:55 AM)

Quoted from girlsgonedocile:
I could be wrong cause I don't know you very well, but you seem kind of uppity too. There's no difference between the rich, arrogant, shallow people you describe and some of the alternative groups who are just as arrogant, stuck up, and exclusive as the preps. It's just that it may be personified with an accoustic guitar and a scraggly goatee instead of a popped collar. It's not fair to demonize the symbols of a certain social sect without doing the same to all other groups. Goths, punks, nerds, druggies whatever, they all have shitty shallow people.

Yes you are wrong, and you don't know me. I know there are shallow people of all kinds, and I'm the last person to have prejudices against rich people just for being rich. If theres one thing i'm not, and one thing I hate, its fakeness/lying. I don't know how i'm percieved through the internet, but the closest people to me know and understand how much I hate fakeness.

Okay, so there are a lot of different fake people from different cultures and backgrounds and classes. Right now, i'm complaining about all the rich snots that go to my school and are fake as hell. It took me a year to realize that i'm surrounded because I was too busy wishing someone would talk to me to realize, wow, most of these people are incredibly fake and I don't want to play their games anyway.
I say most, not all. And maybe not even most, I haven't met half the people so I couldn't tell you. But I see and hear enough of them every day, everywhere I go to warrant this.

The comic did make sense. I'm not sure the comic relates to being shallow or not, but it makes perfect sense.

The kid is being all trendy, wearing his popped collar polo, aviators, slick'ed clean cut hair, sandals and shorts. A mild mannered kid, who we are to assume has never seen these trends, comes up and asks, whats with the collar? The kid doesn't understand why the kid pops his collar, and when asked why, the kid doesn't know why he does it. And he sheds a tear because he's doing something with such attitude and conviction, yet doesn't really know why he's doing it.
Honestly, maybe you're just not around this enough to understand it as well.

Seriously though, i'm the last person to "hate on the rich" for the fact that they're rich or anything. Like what dante said, I won't agree with that.
"They could have grown up to become Hitler....collectively." - Ztolk's creepy Flash man
STFU, biatch
not bobby

YOU CAN'T CUT BACK ON FUCKING!

Ballkicks: (+460 / -108)
Reg. Date: Aug 2003
Reply 7 of 80 (Originally posted on: 09-16-06 02:55:24 AM)

popped collars are pretty much useless if you have nice scarves and know how to tie them

zippo-chan is my new samurai graduate......if anyone objects, speak now and forever rest in peace
girlsgonedocile
The Whole Sick Crew

Reply 8 of 80 (Originally posted on: 09-16-06 05:20:25 AM)

People pop collars because it is fasionable in some circles to do so. Unless that kid is mentally handicapped, he would know why he does it, because it's fasionable. Now if you would have said "I think popped collars are ridiculous" I would back you up, they are. However, you tried to make some half-assed social commentary about how rich kids are are fake without any discussion on how they are fake or why. Just some amateur school newspaper comic that makes little sense, and like you, is attempting to make a point about something without saying anything about the subject. I understand that the paper is trying to say that people blindly follow and don't know why, and there is a lot to discuss there, but to target something so insignificant and not tie in any greater problem in the association is kind of lame. And if your post is about rich kids being shallow then why did you not go any further in depth than to say "I don't like it when people are shallow". If it's about the pop-collar phenomenon, well you didn't really say anything about that either. I see I have doubled my negative k by disagreeing with you on something. Now if only you guys could argue rationally.
start diggin'
Snowy
INTL Premium Member

i always try to make a statement with my fashion...thats why today i wore a crop top with a pic of richard nixon captioned: growl at sweat

Ballkicks: (+899 / -313)
Reg. Date: Feb 2005
Reply 9 of 80 (Originally posted on: 09-16-06 05:51:45 AM)

In any event, watching two internet studs fight it out over popped collars is MY kind of saturday night.

Useless little atoms are burning all the bridges
Tiger

One Big Happy

Ballkicks: (+34 / -10)
Reg. Date: Mar 2006
Reply 10 of 80 (Originally posted on: 09-16-06 08:10:42 AM)

I saw this thread and thought "Popped collars" was yet another sexual term I am out of touch with, only to find it is yet another fashion term I am out of touch with.

Thats good, in a way.
Tiger (obviously)
I'M ON IRC, TALK TO ME, I'M DEPRESSIVE
Pertti Susilainen
Head Priest

mr. sukkit

Ballkicks: (+924 / -57)
Reg. Date: Dec 2002
Reply 11 of 80 (Originally posted on: 09-16-06 08:26:32 AM)

Quote:
Unless that kid is mentally handicapped, he would know why he does it, because it's fasionable

I'm not acquainted with popped collars, but even I understood the comic strip. It kind of implies being fashionable is a shallow reason, as the guy probably doesn't even like it.
đonne onwŠcne­ eft wineleas guma, gesih­ him biforan fealwe wegas, ba■ian brimfuglas, brŠdan fe■ra, hreosan hrim ond snaw hagle gemenged. Ůonne beo­ ■y hefigran heortan benne, sare Šfter swŠsne. Sorg bi­ geniwad ■onne maga gemynd mod geondhweorfe­, grete­ gliwstafum, georne geondsceawa­ secga geseldan; swimma­ oft on weg. Fleotendra fer­ no ■Šr fela bringe­ cu­ra cwidegiedda.
The Wanderer, l. 45-55a
girlsgonedocile
The Whole Sick Crew

Reply 12 of 80 (Originally posted on: 09-16-06 09:15:24 AM)

Conformity in no way implies lack of depth. This guy is obviously very emotionally deep as this albino kid's critique of his style motives have the same effect as hot garbage on the quintessential roadside Indian. The terms shallow and superficial have come to mean a lack of concern with personality and only caring about looks and money. Following a trend does not put you in this category.

When I made the comment that the kid would have to be retarded not to know why I was referring to dimi's statement

Quote:
The kid doesn't understand why the kid pops his collar, and when asked why, the kid doesn't know why he does it. And he sheds a tear because he's doing something with such attitude and conviction, yet doesn't really know why he's doing it.

He does know why, he's doing it to fit in. And it makes him cry because he is doing something he normally wouldn't do to try and fit in. Well guess what? That's fucking life. And you do have to fit in if you want to be a part of society. You can't just completely be yourself all the time or you will not be succesful in any aspect of life, it is give and take. I said the comic "makes no sense" in regards to being shallow because shallow people would not care if some guy came up and talked shit, and they wouldn't "not know why they do it" because shallow people realize they are shallow and they don't care, they do it intentionally. But that isn't the point.

The point is that it's worse to assume people are "fake" without knowing them. Everyone looks "fake" when you don't understand them. I don't understand them, but I suppose they like the way they are and that means they are being REAL. Thinking that a certain group of people is completely shallow and your own group isn't is really shallow and arrogant in itself. Rich preppy kids have real and emotional relationships too. These people are reknown for their arrogance. But I'm here to tell you there is WAY more arrogance in the small alternative groups. I know because I am very arrogant myself.
start diggin'
Hasty Penguin
get in the box
People are a danger to society.

there is a guy who gets it on with three girls at once and they all have amazing unibrows

Ballkicks: (+1307 / -46)
Reg. Date: May 2002
Reply 13 of 80 (Originally posted on: 09-16-06 10:54:24 AM)

My brother pops his collar, thinks Will Ferrel movies are hilarious - and I quote from him "I don't like watching things that make me think."

He wears all the American Eagle shirts and such (usually gifts from his flavour of the month depending on the time of year - birthday, Christmas etc.) and often borrows my pants or shorts because I am taller and they are baggy on him.

If he wasn't pretty damn funny, he'd be virtually useless to me at present.

And I see these guys everywhere, too. Always chewing on toothpicks or the wrappers for straws at restaurants or hot dog stands or whatever.

Quote:
You can't just completely be yourself all the time or you will not be succesful in any aspect of life

What an attitude. If only Mr. Dress-Up had found you sooner. MAGUSMAGUSMAGUSMAGUS

I don't think I've been influenced by trying to fit in at all. Then again, I went to a school that required uniforms. Most of my friends now are the nerdy math people, folks in the nursing/science department, theatre/drama people, computer science guys or they're ten years older than I am and we just act in the same improv troupe.

I have no business or law friends - which, I believe is the general standard for these popped collar fellows.

So, yes it is possible to "be yourself" you just have to listen to the Amazing Panda Adventure and "NEVER GIVE UP, NEVER!" Thank you, Mr. Dress-Up for making me into someone special.
"One time I spilled ice cream on my pants and we had to throw them out."
"Last night I fell asleep, and when I woke up, my room was a black and white movie."

Theatre on the Edge
My Musical Compositions
The Hunger Site
Skye
INTL Premium Member
Droog Queen

I love Skye

Ballkicks: (+781 / -120)
Reg. Date: Jan 2003
Reply 14 of 80 (Originally posted on: 09-16-06 11:54:00 AM)

Quoted from Hasty Penguin:
I have no business or law friends - which, I believe is the general standard for these popped collar fellows.

Nah. Business and law cats are pretentious assholes, but they don't need to resort to fashion retardation to be that way.

A lot of the guys in my class have popped collar airs about them (including one guy in my small section who looks like he frequents the alternative section of Abercrombie), but having never spoken to them beyond a superficial greeting, I don't really know how they interact. I've met a few well-to-do people who are really down to earth, or at least as much as they can be.
http://forums.interestingnonetheless.net/display.php?tid=4368

A guy walks into a bar, and orders six shots. The bartender pours them, and he slams them back as fast as he can.
"Woah, buddy!" The bartender says, "why are you drinking so fast?"
"You'd be drinking fast too, if you had what I have," the guy says, gravely.
"Oh," the bartender says, "what do you have?"
"Seventy-five cents."

"Africa is to be pitied, worshipped or dominated. Whichever angle you take, be sure to leave the strong impression that without your intervention and your important book, Africa is doomed."
Socrateius
Robobear 3000

homersexual

Ballkicks: (+611 / -49)
Reg. Date: Jul 2002
Reply 15 of 80 (Originally posted on: 09-16-06 12:34:02 PM)

I pop my collar because I think it looks good, and I hate how people have a pathological hatred of popped collars and repeatedly tell me to unpop it. Essentially hating all people (and I'm not saying you do, Dimi, but most people at my university do) who pop their collar is the same kind of bigotry that the "preps" practice against the other kids - not wearing a certain type of clothing and the like. It's just two different kinds of intolerance and retardation. I'm the least preppy person in the entire damned university, so anyone that tells me to unpop my collar even though I think it looks good gets a middle finger or a simple no.
HeavenGaymes hahaha gay mes

"Being tackled is fun cause its like getting a great big hug from a strong guy. You get to lose yourself in his arms...It only hurts when they let go MAGUSMAGUSMAGUSMAGUS" - Shady Milkman

"I'm not even sure if believe in abortions period...but man do I hate retards" - Dimitrios
Snowy
INTL Premium Member

i always try to make a statement with my fashion...thats why today i wore a crop top with a pic of richard nixon captioned: growl at sweat

Reply 16 of 80 (Originally posted on: 09-16-06 12:46:05 PM)

Well gee I hope assless leather chaps become the next campus fad. *_*@Soc.

IF0
Administrator

Reply 17 of 80 (Originally posted on: 09-16-06 12:49:08 PM)

Quoted from Socrateius:
I pop my collar because I think it looks good, and I hate how people have a pathological hatred of popped collars and repeatedly tell me to unpop it. Essentially hating all people (and I'm not saying you do, Dimi, but most people at my university do) who pop their collar is the same kind of bigotry that the "preps" practice against the other kids - not wearing a certain type of clothing and the like. It's just two different kinds of intolerance and retardation. I'm the least preppy person in the entire damned university, so anyone that tells me to unpop my collar even though I think it looks good gets a middle finger or a simple no.

Unfortunately, next comes some Goth kid that wears all black with 6 inch heeled boots and black fingernails and razor pointed hair saying he's doing it because he thinks it looks good. I dunno, maybe he is, but it seems to me like that sort of look is to get attention. SO, unfortunately for you, since that reasoning has seemingly been played out by every style-stereotype there is, you're probably screwed and stuck in the fratboy type of stereotype. Although, obviously, we here know you're not that type, Star Trek nerd.

Pertti Susilainen
Head Priest

mr. sukkit

Ballkicks: (+924 / -57)
Reg. Date: Dec 2002
Reply 18 of 80 (Originally posted on: 09-16-06 01:23:16 PM)

Quote:
I dunno, maybe he is, but it seems to me like that sort of look is to get attention

As someone who loved to sport moderately spikey red-dyed hair, I disagree.

Really, who's to judge other people's tastes? If Soccy likes it, then kudos to him for popping his collar despite the associations he knows most people are making. It's only those who mindlessly follow a trend that are annoying and laughable, not because of their looks but because of their personality and attitude.
đonne onwŠcne­ eft wineleas guma, gesih­ him biforan fealwe wegas, ba■ian brimfuglas, brŠdan fe■ra, hreosan hrim ond snaw hagle gemenged. Ůonne beo­ ■y hefigran heortan benne, sare Šfter swŠsne. Sorg bi­ geniwad ■onne maga gemynd mod geondhweorfe­, grete­ gliwstafum, georne geondsceawa­ secga geseldan; swimma­ oft on weg. Fleotendra fer­ no ■Šr fela bringe­ cu­ra cwidegiedda.
The Wanderer, l. 45-55a
IF0
Administrator

Reply 19 of 80 (Originally posted on: 09-16-06 01:25:31 PM)

That's what I'm saying. He'll inevitably be grouped into the people who DO mindlessly follow a trend, even if those who know him know he's not the type of person to do so.

Kitabatake
Fishing with Firecrackers

2efficient4spacebar

Ballkicks: (+450 / -46)
Reg. Date: May 2002
Reply 20 of 80 (Originally posted on: 09-16-06 02:45:03 PM)

I zip my leather jacket all the way up and pop the collar up like Marlon Brando.

Cause I like to.
You think I like you.
But I don't like you.
I hate your guts, I hate your guts.
D
Administrator

Reply 21 of 80 (Originally posted on: 09-16-06 04:20:36 PM)

Let me start by saying, no one here speaks for me, and just because they've agreed with me or are on "my side" doesn't mean I neccessarily agree with them.

Second, girlsgonegenocidal, i'm sorry your -karma has gone up for this, I didn't give you any and I don't think you deserved to recieve any for what you've said.

Now in response to you, you've made a lot of assumtions about what i'm saying that aren't the case, which is fair for you to have done because I really made a vauge thread with no explination.

Quote:
People pop collars because it is fasionable in some circles to do so. Unless that kid is mentally handicapped, he would know why he does it, because it's fasionable. Now if you would have said "I think popped collars are ridiculous" I would back you up, they are. However, you tried to make some half-assed social commentary about how rich kids are are fake without any discussion on how they are fake or why. Just some amateur school newspaper comic that makes little sense, and like you, is attempting to make a point about something without saying anything about the subject. I understand that the paper is trying to say that people blindly follow and don't know why, and there is a lot to discuss there, but to target something so insignificant and not tie in any greater problem in the association is kind of lame.

To start, I posted the comic because I found it funny, and it can describe a lot of people I've seen. I wasn't using it to make some sort of social statement or anything any deeper than being funny. It was sort of, "Heres my post, here's why i'm bitching, and now heres something funny about it."
The paper I got it from did go on on a long article about it, and to be fair, they did make a point like the subject. I didn't, because, well, I didn't feel like it, I just kinda wanted to put this subject out there, and I wanted to put the comic out there cause it made me laugh.

Quote:
And if your post is about rich kids being shallow then why did you not go any further in depth than to say "I don't like it when people are shallow". If it's about the pop-collar phenomenon, well you didn't really say anything about that either. I see I have doubled my negative k by disagreeing with you on something. Now if only you guys could argue rationally.

I didn't go any further cause I didn't feel like it. As you can see by the length of the original post, I was in no mood to really make a point. Originally I thought to post just the title and the picture and leave it at that and not have any sort of discussion about it, but then I decided, let me toss in a few words as to what inspired this.

For your next post, I wont respond again to the first part, I'll just ask that we stop discussing the comic as anything more than a joke. Thats really all it is, theres no need to analyze it any further than the surface of it. I found it funny, if you didn't think it was funny, let it go.

Quote:

The point is that it's worse to assume people are "fake" without knowing them. Everyone looks "fake" when you don't understand them. I don't understand them, but I suppose they like the way they are and that means they are being REAL. Thinking that a certain group of people is completely shallow and your own group isn't is really shallow and arrogant in itself. Rich preppy kids have real and emotional relationships too. These people are reknown for their arrogance. But I'm here to tell you there is WAY more arrogance in the small alternative groups. I know because I am very arrogant myself.

This is another point i'd like to address though. I know I didn't make it all clear in my previous posts, so it was fair of you to assume this, but its not like i'm completely assuming these things. Like I said at one point, I haven't met half the people, so I can't say anything on them. But I have met a lot, and i'm not going to get into why I think each person is shallow or fake (fake bothers me more than shallow), but I don't think its arrogant to think other people are fake and my "group" is not. I know my "group" isn't shallow and fake because my "group" consists of like 10 kids who i've been close with for atleast 2 and at most 12 years. And I know them all pretty well, and if they were fake or liars, I wouldn't hang out with them any more (and that has happened before). My "group" isn't a group of kids that dress the same or all have the same interests or all like the same music or anything, we're just a group of good kids that have grown close over the years. Then I've got other people i've met that I think are also good people and I like to hang out with them too, they could be anyone. Good people are good people, and I like spending time with good people.
Again, i'm not just totally assuming things. Throughout last year I had met a fair share of kids that were infact arrogant, shallow, liars and fake. I blew it off because, as much as I hate it, those kinds of people are everywhere. However, the more people I meet, the more I find a great majority of these guys and gals are this way, which is something I dont find other places.
Thank you for telling me about arrogance, but I didn't really need to hear it. I know theres pleanty of arrogance that goes with every 'clique', I don't know (or care) which group harbors the most, but the topic of the hour is the arrogance of the kids i'm thinking about. If you want to discuss a more broad range or arrogant people, feel free to start a new thread, I wont challange it. Or even if you want to talk about it here go ahead, but don't think I disagree with you about it. I know you're assuming a lot about me, and I know I would too if I were you and I knew nothing about me and I read this thread.

As for everyone else telling their stories about popping they're collars or why they think popping they're collars is stupid or any of that, feel free to continue your discussion in this thread and duke it out, but just keep in mind what I said at the beginning of this post,
Quote:
Let me start by saying, no one here speaks for me, and just because they've agreed with me or are on "my side" doesn't mean I neccessarily agree with them.

AND more importantly what I said at the beginning of this thread,
Quote:
This is about a lot more than Popped collars, though i'm not gonna bother elaborating.

I probably should have elaborated. Oh well, hopefully this posts clears everything up.
Socrateius
Robobear 3000

homersexual

Ballkicks: (+611 / -49)
Reg. Date: Jul 2002
Reply 22 of 80 (Originally posted on: 09-16-06 04:46:12 PM)

Quoted from IF0:
That's what I'm saying. He'll inevitably be grouped into the people who DO mindlessly follow a trend, even if those who know him know he's not the type of person to do so.

The way I see it, though, is those that criticize me for popping my collar are following just another trend: that of hating popped collars, they're just as bad.

But yes I do agree with your assessment, I just like to bitch about it.
HeavenGaymes hahaha gay mes

"Being tackled is fun cause its like getting a great big hug from a strong guy. You get to lose yourself in his arms...It only hurts when they let go MAGUSMAGUSMAGUSMAGUS" - Shady Milkman

"I'm not even sure if believe in abortions period...but man do I hate retards" - Dimitrios
Hoff
Lightnin' Hopkins

Helping a brother out.

Ballkicks: (+192 / -38)
Reg. Date: Jan 2006
Reply 23 of 80 (Originally posted on: 09-16-06 05:25:12 PM)

Girlsgonedocile, do you pop your collar?
No ifs ands or buts, these kids got guts.

-Mike O'Malley (Global Guts)
Snowy
INTL Premium Member

Reply 24 of 80 (Originally posted on: 09-16-06 05:28:50 PM)

Who knew the boys of this chat felt so passionately about fashion?

Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 2 3 4 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 6311 | Total Posts: 80 ]