Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Discussion Forums > The "Song A Day" Thread Forum > How to Steal a Street Sign > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest. Moderated by: D drahnier
Page: [ 1 2 ] [ Thread Views: 105837 | Total Posts: 37 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
Amphytrite
Hard for Drah

I don't really even like hearing about it or reading about it

Ballkicks: (+1869 / -83)
Reg. Date: Apr 2004
(Originally posted on: 07-06-06 10:35:25 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

It seems like a simple plan. Run up to a sign in the middle of the night, twist the bolts off the metal pole, and make off with your very own piece of locality. But is it really that easy? Is anything ever that easy? One of the things that would-be stealers often misjudge is the simplicity of stealing a street sign. Many view it as a trivial task, one that takes no real skill or intelligence. But these people are sorely mistaken. Breaking any law properly takes a considerable amount of time and effort, especially one that commands the lawbreakers to be sly as foxes. Serious sign stealers take extra steps to prevent capture by the police, from preparation to the act itself and its aftermath. You will all soon be capable of wiping out the sign population of the world.

A typical mistake novice sign stealers make is insufficient preparation, including care for the sign. Something that most people don't realize is the actual size of the typical street sign. Since most signs are made to be visible from distances of one hundred feet or more and at speeds of up to 70 miles per hour, they have to be big. Stop signs are normally two feet in diameter, as are other traffic signs. Local signs, such as route signs, are usually slightly smaller. Street signs, used to mark the names of streets, are generally most difficult to steal because the one sign everyone in the community wants to have is the one you want as well. Trust me, the sign will be bolted down like Fort Knox. Therefore, walking half a mile from the scene of the crime to your house with a two foot wide metal sign in your grubby paws is not going to cut it. It is always best to have a getaway vehicle. A best friend's old pickup truck will suffice, as will anything with a trunk. It is considered wise to use a car that does not draw attention to itself. Leave the spinners home, as well as the extra bass plug-in for your stereo. I don't suggest parking directly next to the sign. Doing this is asking for trouble, and no one wants that! Park close enough for a smooth getaway, and if the sign you want is in a residential area, keep the car and its driver about a block away. Be sure that the driver can see what's happening, and it gives you an excuse to use a cool hand signal to initiate the getaway.

Some stealers don't consider the repercussions of stealing an actual road sign, especially when the sign is in a highly populated area, as many are. Although traffic signs are supercool, in the past people who were caught for stealing stop signs were found guilty of manslaughter. After the stop sign was taken, a car ran through the area the stop sign occupied and its driver died. This is the reason I highly recommend stealing an informational sign, such as one with the worst intention of making drivers lost. I also suggest scoping out a sign beforehand. It is key to remember the rules of real estate—location, location, location. Stealing a sign next to a busy intersection is something only experienced sign stealers should attempt in the dead of night. If you aren't as advanced in this art, the best idea is to find a sign in a less popular area, generally on a road people aren't likely to travel at night.

The best time to execute your plan is during the nighttime. In daytime, drivers are much more likely to notice a car parked on the side of the road and two people standing awkwardly around a sign pole. As with the car, don't wear anything that will stick out at night like a sore thumb. No matter how much you like hot pink, it's a bad idea to wear it during a steal attempt. If a pair of high beams catches sight of your yellow shirt while you're dangling from the top of a road sign, the driver will become quite suspicious. In my experience, most drivers keep going, but there is always a Good Samaritan trying to ruin everything for the rest of us.

The last step of preparation is to have the right equipment. The most essential items for the act itself are a good wrench, some sort of stool and two sidekicks. I like to think the wrench is obvious, but I still get students who think they can undo the nuts and bolts with their bare hands. I will say this once and only once—you are not The Hulk. We all like to think we're strong, but I can tell you right now that you're not that strong. The stool may be a little less clear, but just as they're a lot bigger than everyone thinks, signs are also placed a lot higher in the air than one would imagine. I'm 5'10 and I usually can't reach higher than the bottom bolt of a sign. This is why you need a sidekick outside. I suggest someone taller than you if you're pretty sure you can't reach the top bolt with your stool, and even if you can, someone to keep lookout for cars (especially the Blue Light Specials) and pedestrians. The other sidekick will serve as your driver. If you don't have your own car, I recommend "borrowing" not only a car but the car's owner as well.

The actual act of stealing a sign seems simple as well, but that is fully incorrect. Although the theft itself takes a lot less time than the preparation, it's still a difficult task to achieve. Unfortunate sign stealers may find themselves dealing with special bolts used to deter stealers, or worse, rusty bolts. For those who want to steal Slow Children signs, take heed! Since their introduction to special communities everywhere, several years have passed and a true Slow Children sign will undoubtedly have very rusty bolts. This may mean coming back multiple times to work on the bolts, and that's okay. This holds true for all signs—as long as you aren't hanging around it all night every night, it's okay to come back once a week or so to work on rusty or tricky bolts.

Once you arrive at the site of the sign, work quickly. The driver should remain in the car at all times, and the car should be at least idling in preparation for an unsuspected interruption in the operation. Your sidekick should be on the watch for dangers on the ground, such as other people and raccoons. (This is a good time to suggest that you're all up-to-date on your rabies and tetanus inoculations.) Your sidekick should also help you maintain your balance on the stool if there is uneven ground, but don't expect him or her to hold you up. That won't fly on the side of the road.

After you have successfully retrieved the street sign and returned to the car, put the sign in the trunk, covered by whatever menagerie of items is already in the trunk. It is a good idea to remind the driver not to speed en route to your house. Being stopped by the police for speeding with a freshly stolen street sign in the trunk screams awkward moment.

Once you have returned to your house, wipe the street sign clean with some soap and water. It also feels good to wash your own hands as a metaphorical deed akin to washing your hands clean of the crime. Many consider the most difficult part of stealing a sign is finding a place to display the sign. This can be especially challenging if you still live with your parents, or if your roommate is a policeman. If this is the case, I would suggest hanging the sign in your closet, with a small shrine dedicated to it. Don't light candles and then walk away. If you live with awesome people, anywhere is appropriate. The most classic spot for a sign to be hung is on the living room wall. If you have space constraints, any sort of wall will do. After you have found a home for your street sign, celebrate! Go to dinner with your sidekicks or play a rousing game of Risk.

Although I have mentioned this before, I will remind you that stealing any street sign automatically puts you in the hands of fate. Some people do get caught stealing signs, and some things that happen as an effect of stealing a street sign can be harmful not only to you but also to drivers. You must weigh the advantages and the disadvantages of taking a sign—is it something you really want to do? For me, the answer has always been yes. I have armed you with the strongest tool I have, which is knowledge. If you are still willing to steal a sign, let me be the first to welcome you into the brotherhood of sign stealers. We are happy to have you! Good luck and god speed.
IF0
Administrator

Hey, I was with Mary Magdalene last night....smell my finger lol

Ballkicks: (+621 / -173)
Reg. Date: Jul 2003
Reply 1 of 37 (Originally posted on: 07-08-06 02:29:36 AM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

You know, I know you're a grammar nazi, so all of that is good. big grin I really could see you worrying about all of this though.. haha.

I like articles that make something a little more in-depth about something simple, so I like this one.
Adopt a leggo my eggo ifo.
[01:19] witty tirade: wait wait wait
[01:19] witty tirade: let me get this straight
[01:19] witty tirade: I'm the thin attractive one
[01:19] witty tirade: and you, the fat one, are making fun of me?
[01:19] witty tirade: no sir I do not believe it.
Amphytrite
Hard for Drah

Reply 2 of 37 (Originally posted on: 07-11-06 09:56:46 PM)

Cool, thanks. It was a paper I had to write for an English class a year ago, and my professor appreciated it a lot more than I thought he would.
sukkit 7: one day my grandchildren will sit down by the fire and I'll tell them the story of the arena
Dante

cocks in my mouth

Ballkicks: (+661 / -97)
Reg. Date: May 2004
Reply 3 of 37 (Originally posted on: 07-13-06 07:20:30 PM)

Can we somehow embed Judas Priest's "Breakin' The Law" into this thread?
Work-work-work. Gnaw-gnaw-gnaw. Build-build-build. Must hurry
Kitabatake
Fishing with Firecrackers

2efficient4spacebar

Ballkicks: (+450 / -46)
Reg. Date: May 2002
Reply 4 of 37 (Originally posted on: 09-23-06 01:00:56 PM)

Here's another thing to remember.

Dealing with rusty bolts: Bring a small can of WD-40. It works wonders, really.
You think I like you.
But I don't like you.
I hate your guts, I hate your guts.
Amiodarone
INTL Premium Member

pronounces name 'ileu'

Ballkicks: (+126 / -46)
Reg. Date: Dec 2002
Reply 5 of 37 (Originally posted on: 10-04-06 03:33:23 PM)

If you have a truck it's sometimes easier to remove the entire pole from the ground and remove the sign at a different location, or just find signs that have already been taken out by a woman driver.
psycodrew

Ballkicks: (+2 / -2)
Reg. Date: Feb 2008
Reply 6 of 37 (Originally posted on: 02-06-08 03:57:52 PM)

yeah how about bolt cutters! they pull it off easy and yeah i do that all the time
look heres some of the ones ivs stolen each one has a story to tell
Hoff
Lightnin' Hopkins

Helping a brother out.

Ballkicks: (+192 / -38)
Reg. Date: Jan 2006
Reply 7 of 37 (Originally posted on: 02-06-08 04:19:15 PM)

hello old thread
D
Administrator

i didn't have the strength to get it all the way off

Ballkicks: (+1950 / -91)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
Reply 8 of 37 (Originally posted on: 02-06-08 04:27:35 PM)

that radioactive one i'm sure has a good story
Snook
INTL Premium Member

enlightening 6 year olds on the horrors of war

Ballkicks: (+247 / -65)
Reg. Date: Jun 2003
Reply 9 of 37 (Originally posted on: 02-06-08 05:20:06 PM)

Gotta love a good resurrection.
Hello my name is Kristoffer Jørgensen and I am from Norweigen I come to see hot USA girls and history landmarks!!
Amphytrite
Hard for Drah

Reply 10 of 37 (Originally posted on: 02-06-08 09:22:05 PM)

Can we like...anchor this thread or something?
i am raising my eyebrow

Vissario: i am here to serve
Amphy: then make me a sandwich.
Vissario: holy shit
Vissario: u just did not say that, sugaboo

Sunny: I'm actually vissario in disguise
emtilt

the cow of horses

Ballkicks: (+486 / -41)
Reply 11 of 37 (Originally posted on: 02-06-08 09:40:22 PM)

I hope you get caught if you steal street signs.
this is my music i hope you like it
this is music i listen to these are movies i like these are books i like
jimmy
Selber Schuld, kein Mitleid

I am really bad at giving custom titles and, well, the internet in general tbqh

Ballkicks: (+506 / -233)
Reg. Date: Nov 2003
Reply 12 of 37 (Originally posted on: 02-06-08 11:33:33 PM)

This thread is more like "How to decorate your room like every other wannabe rebel in the world".
jimmy
Selber Schuld, kein Mitleid

I am really bad at giving custom titles and, well, the internet in general tbqh

Ballkicks: (+506 / -233)
Reg. Date: Nov 2003
Reply 13 of 37 (Originally posted on: 02-06-08 11:34:11 PM)

double post
wheezy
The Reel RS Krew
Lord Handsome

The next time you wanna call a coon a nigger, call that spearchucker a jungle bunny instead. I know, I know... nigger rolls off the tongue so easy, but there is a world of rarely used racial slurs that we need to start utilizing. White power!

Ballkicks: (+527 / -190)
Reg. Date: Dec 2001
Reply 14 of 37 (Originally posted on: 02-07-08 12:30:50 AM)

I didn't even notice this was an old thread!
U CANT TRICK THE TRICKSTER

Moderator of the Proud Inside Discussions Forum.
www.uselessstatic.com
psycodrew

Ballkicks: (+2 / -2)
Reg. Date: Feb 2008
Reply 15 of 37 (Originally posted on: 02-07-08 05:28:45 AM)

Quoted from awkward jimmy:
This thread is more like "How to decorate your room like every other wannabe rebel in the world".

nah i just think they look cool and i like stealing them its like a rush or something im not trying to take down "The Man" by stealing detore signs i mean seriosly how is that rebelion? anyway yeah i didnt relize how old this was i found it through google (note how i am a noob)
atlas sighed (at me)
User is currently banned until further notice.

Reply 16 of 37 (Originally posted on: 02-07-08 05:34:40 AM)

Quoted from psycodrew:
Quoted from awkward jimmy:

nah i just think they look cool and i like stealing them its like a rush or something im not trying to take down "The Man" by stealing detore signs i mean seriosly how is that rebelion? anyway yeah i didnt relize how old this was i found it through google (note how i am a noob)

that's cute; stealing from fellow citizens for a personal rush just like those cuddly kittens at Enron or Tricky Dicky
ba
INTL Premium Member
Captain of the Cool Kids

and i said, a\re you a gay ass fucker who can't take a baseball up the ass you faggot???? and he said yes........

Ballkicks: (+456 / -62)
Reg. Date: Apr 2003
Reply 17 of 37 (Originally posted on: 02-07-08 06:15:35 AM)

Wow Amph, I read your 2nd post and almost called you out on plagiarism... I was all, 'I know I read this somewhere like 2 years ago' I AM A NINJA!
~British[/whisper] Agent
[whisper].___.
{O,o} O RLY?
/)__)
-"-"-
Links: Penny Arcade, YTMND, Something Awful.

This reply was last edited on 02-07-08 06:21:03 AM by ba.
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

gotta get that VICTORY ROYALE #gamer #memes #LoL

Ballkicks: (+1782 / -130)
Reply 18 of 37 (Originally posted on: 02-07-08 08:04:00 AM)

In like 2003 there was a lot of construction work going on in a part of my city, so there were a lot of signs that said "ROAD CONSTRUCTION AHEAD". My friends and I hatched a plan and with the help of some orange spray paint, covered the "A" and "CONSTRUCTION" on about ten signs.

I really hope someone got a blow job because of those signs. I can imagine it, like, driving with your girlfriend and you see the sign "Oh ha ha that sign says road head that's funny" and then you kinda look over and who knows what happens next?
Amphytrite
Hard for Drah

Reply 19 of 37 (Originally posted on: 02-07-08 11:44:15 AM)

Quoted from British Agent:
Wow Amph, I read your 2nd post and almost called you out on plagiarism... I was all, 'I know I read this somewhere like 2 years ago' I AM A NINJA!

That could have been scandalous!
i am raising my eyebrow

Vissario: i am here to serve
Amphy: then make me a sandwich.
Vissario: holy shit
Vissario: u just did not say that, sugaboo

Sunny: I'm actually vissario in disguise
Snook
INTL Premium Member

enlightening 6 year olds on the horrors of war

Ballkicks: (+247 / -65)
Reg. Date: Jun 2003
Reply 20 of 37 (Originally posted on: 02-08-08 07:35:09 AM)

Hey guys remember the part where we needed new members?
Hello my name is Kristoffer Jørgensen and I am from Norweigen I come to see hot USA girls and history landmarks!!
poop
$$~~~Crips~~~$$
slooooooooooooots

i'd expect more sorcery in a place called mana pools

Ballkicks: (+731 / -71)
Reg. Date: May 2002
Reply 21 of 37 (Originally posted on: 02-08-08 03:21:24 PM)

Dimi invented him to post the radiation story, which does indeed promise intrigue.

The ball's in his court.
D
Administrator

i didn't have the strength to get it all the way off

Ballkicks: (+1950 / -91)
Reply 22 of 37 (Originally posted on: 02-09-08 12:24:17 AM)

sorry guys i'm scowering the web for a good radioactive story but haven't found one yet.
ChubbsChubbs

Ballkicks: (+0 / -0)
Reg. Date: Feb 2009
Reply 23 of 37 (Originally posted on: 02-23-09 01:56:40 PM)

i am the king of street sign theft
ChubbsChubbs

Ballkicks: (+0 / -0)
Reg. Date: Feb 2009
Reply 24 of 37 (Originally posted on: 02-23-09 01:57:14 PM)

It seems like a simple plan. Run up to a sign in the middle of the night, twist the bolts off the metal pole, and make off with your very own piece of locality. But is it really that easy? Is anything ever that easy? One of the things that would-be stealers often misjudge is the simplicity of stealing a street sign. Many view it as a trivial task, one that takes no real skill or intelligence. But these people are sorely mistaken. Breaking any law properly takes a considerable amount of time and effort, especially one that commands the lawbreakers to be sly as foxes. Serious sign stealers take extra steps to prevent capture by the police, from preparation to the act itself and its aftermath. You will all soon be capable of wiping out the sign population of the world.

A typical mistake novice sign stealers make is insufficient preparation, including care for the sign. Something that most people don't realize is the actual size of the typical street sign. Since most signs are made to be visible from distances of one hundred feet or more and at speeds of up to 70 miles per hour, they have to be big. Stop signs are normally two feet in diameter, as are other traffic signs. Local signs, such as route signs, are usually slightly smaller. Street signs, used to mark the names of streets, are generally most difficult to steal because the one sign everyone in the community wants to have is the one you want as well. Trust me, the sign will be bolted down like Fort Knox. Therefore, walking half a mile from the scene of the crime to your house with a two foot wide metal sign in your grubby paws is not going to cut it. It is always best to have a getaway vehicle. A best friend's old pickup truck will suffice, as will anything with a trunk. It is considered wise to use a car that does not draw attention to itself. Leave the spinners home, as well as the extra bass plug-in for your stereo. I don't suggest parking directly next to the sign. Doing this is asking for trouble, and no one wants that! Park close enough for a smooth getaway, and if the sign you want is in a residential area, keep the car and its driver about a block away. Be sure that the driver can see what's happening, and it gives you an excuse to use a cool hand signal to initiate the getaway.

Some stealers don't consider the repercussions of stealing an actual road sign, especially when the sign is in a highly populated area, as many are. Although traffic signs are supercool, in the past people who were caught for stealing stop signs were found guilty of manslaughter. After the stop sign was taken, a car ran through the area the stop sign occupied and its driver died. This is the reason I highly recommend stealing an informational sign, such as one with the worst intention of making drivers lost. I also suggest scoping out a sign beforehand. It is key to remember the rules of real estate—location, location, location. Stealing a sign next to a busy intersection is something only experienced sign stealers should attempt in the dead of night. If you aren't as advanced in this art, the best idea is to find a sign in a less popular area, generally on a road people aren't likely to travel at night.

The best time to execute your plan is during the nighttime. In daytime, drivers are much more likely to notice a car parked on the side of the road and two people standing awkwardly around a sign pole. As with the car, don't wear anything that will stick out at night like a sore thumb. No matter how much you like hot pink, it's a bad idea to wear it during a steal attempt. If a pair of high beams catches sight of your yellow shirt while you're dangling from the top of a road sign, the driver will become quite suspicious. In my experience, most drivers keep going, but there is always a Good Samaritan trying to ruin everything for the rest of us.

The last step of preparation is to have the right equipment. The most essential items for the act itself are a good wrench, some sort of stool and two sidekicks. I like to think the wrench is obvious, but I still get students who think they can undo the nuts and bolts with their bare hands. I will say this once and only once—you are not The Hulk. We all like to think we're strong, but I can tell you right now that you're not that strong. The stool may be a little less clear, but just as they're a lot bigger than everyone thinks, signs are also placed a lot higher in the air than one would imagine. I'm 5'10 and I usually can't reach higher than the bottom bolt of a sign. This is why you need a sidekick outside. I suggest someone taller than you if you're pretty sure you can't reach the top bolt with your stool, and even if you can, someone to keep lookout for cars (especially the Blue Light Specials) and pedestrians. The other sidekick will serve as your driver. If you don't have your own car, I recommend "borrowing" not only a car but the car's owner as well.

The actual act of stealing a sign seems simple as well, but that is fully incorrect. Although the theft itself takes a lot less time than the preparation, it's still a difficult task to achieve. Unfortunate sign stealers may find themselves dealing with special bolts used to deter stealers, or worse, rusty bolts. For those who want to steal Slow Children signs, take heed! Since their introduction to special communities everywhere, several years have passed and a true Slow Children sign will undoubtedly have very rusty bolts. This may mean coming back multiple times to work on the bolts, and that's okay. This holds true for all signs—as long as you aren't hanging around it all night every night, it's okay to come back once a week or so to work on rusty or tricky bolts.

Once you arrive at the site of the sign, work quickly. The driver should remain in the car at all times, and the car should be at least idling in preparation for an unsuspected interruption in the operation. Your sidekick should be on the watch for dangers on the ground, such as other people and raccoons. (This is a good time to suggest that you're all up-to-date on your rabies and tetanus inoculations.) Your sidekick should also help you maintain your balance on the stool if there is uneven ground, but don't expect him or her to hold you up. That won't fly on the side of the road.

After you have successfully retrieved the street sign and returned to the car, put the sign in the trunk, covered by whatever menagerie of items is already in the trunk. It is a good idea to remind the driver not to speed en route to your house. Being stopped by the police for speeding with a freshly stolen street sign in the trunk screams awkward moment.

Once you have returned to your house, wipe the street sign clean with some soap and water. It also feels good to wash your own hands as a metaphorical deed akin to washing your hands clean of the crime. Many consider the most difficult part of stealing a sign is finding a place to display the sign. This can be especially challenging if you still live with your parents, or if your roommate is a policeman. If this is the case, I would suggest hanging the sign in your closet, with a small shrine dedicated to it. Don't light candles and then walk away. If you live with awesome people, anywhere is appropriate. The most classic spot for a sign to be hung is on the living room wall. If you have space constraints, any sort of wall will do. After you have found a home for your street sign, celebrate! Go to dinner with your sidekicks or play a rousing game of Risk.

Although I have mentioned this before, I will remind you that stealing any street sign automatically puts you in the hands of fate. Some people do get caught stealing signs, and some things that happen as an effect of stealing a street sign can be harmful not only to you but also to drivers. You must weigh the advantages and the disadvantages of taking a sign—is it something you really want to do? For me, the answer has always been yes. I have armed you with the strongest tool I have, which is knowledge. If you are still willing to steal a sign, let me be the first to welcome you into the brotherhood of sign stealers. We are happy to have you! Good luck and god speed.
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 2 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 105837 | Total Posts: 37 ]