Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Site Comments > Archives > Archived Forums > Linux Corner: computers for something other than windows? WHAT > Music Players > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest.
Page: [ 1 ] [ Thread Views: 2076 | Total Posts: 15 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
mmac
INTL Premium Member
it's INTL, not the fucking UN - Amphy

3ms will rise again

Ballkicks: (+254 / -35)
Reg. Date: Feb 2005
(Originally posted on: 06-13-06 11:44:58 AM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

Usually I use Winamp, or Itunes because I like how they make it easy for me to add new files, and I love how itunes organizes my music for me. Unfortunatly they both use a fair amount of system resources, and I notice a big difference when I'm playing videogames. Winamp definitley uses more ram than itunes does.

What I'm looking for is a music player that can shuffle through my large 57gb music collection without hogging a lot of memory. Idealy there would also be a way I could jump to the next track without having to Alt-tab, but I don't know if that's possible MAGUSMAGUSMAGUSMAGUS

If anybody could help out, I would be very grateful.
This signature is only a temporary replacement for something that is actually funny.

nevermind, this is permanent
emtilt

the cow of horses

Ballkicks: (+486 / -41)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
Reply 1 of 15 (Originally posted on: 06-13-06 01:55:28 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

I still use Winamp 2.95, and I've been looking for a replacement for years. So far, I haven't found anything that works quite how I want it to without using absurd amounts of memory. The closest any player has come is Foobar, but it still hasn't managed to replace the old Winamp for me.
L'enfer, c'est les autres.
IF0
Administrator

Hey, I was with Mary Magdalene last night....smell my finger lol

Ballkicks: (+621 / -173)
Reg. Date: Jul 2003
Reply 2 of 15 (Originally posted on: 06-13-06 03:09:58 PM)

Quintessential Media Player for me. I like it okay.
Adopt a leggo my eggo ifo.
[01:19] witty tirade: wait wait wait
[01:19] witty tirade: let me get this straight
[01:19] witty tirade: I'm the thin attractive one
[01:19] witty tirade: and you, the fat one, are making fun of me?
[01:19] witty tirade: no sir I do not believe it.
Alloy
Grammar Whores Unite

Androgynous Mystic Wizard

Ballkicks: (+95 / -20)
Reg. Date: Jan 2006
Reply 3 of 15 (Originally posted on: 06-13-06 03:16:41 PM)

I use iTunes and it works fine for me, though I've only got 16 GB.
FISHMANPET

Fishmanpet, son of Manbearpig and Girlfishpet

Ballkicks: (+102 / -63)
Reg. Date: May 2002
Reply 4 of 15 (Originally posted on: 06-13-06 03:28:48 PM)

I use iTunes, along with a program called "iTunes keys" to control iTunes without alt-tabbing.
the best thing about high school girls... every year im a little older, but every year they stay the same age. - NNY
Get the sand out of your vagina man. - Wild Bill
When Soccy talks about Star Trek, it's cute. For you, it just makes me picture you in an elaborate suit with a plastic "phaser" propositioning young girls at phaser-point. - Dani
What a bunch of idiots Andy. One day, you'll be their boss. - JamesMartigo
FMP writes erotic stories better than anyone else I know. - Socrateius
Hasty Penguin
get in the box
People are a danger to society.

there is a guy who gets it on with three girls at once and they all have amazing unibrows

Ballkicks: (+1307 / -46)
Reply 5 of 15 (Originally posted on: 06-13-06 11:54:18 PM)

I've been using foobar2000 ever since bon recommended it to me in bygone days. It's pretty convenient and easy to use.
"One time I spilled ice cream on my pants and we had to throw them out."
"Last night I fell asleep, and when I woke up, my room was a black and white movie."

Theatre on the Edge
My Musical Compositions
The Hunger Site
Bon

Village Idiot

Ballkicks: (+162 / -84)
Reg. Date: Sep 2002
Reply 6 of 15 (Originally posted on: 06-14-06 01:07:09 AM)

yes foobar2000 rules, it works amazingly well considering it's still not in version 1.0. You can set it to organize things for you and it takes very little resources (less than winamp).
“Was der Tod der Elf einmal bedeuten wird, vermögen heute nur wenige zu ahnen — noch weniger kann ich darüber schreiben. Wir stehen mitten in einer grossen Zeitenwende. Was wir alle durchmachen sind ihre Geburtswehen. Alles scheint negativ — und einmal wird dann doch Neues and Grosses geboren werden....”

RUDOLF HESS
Budzpip
Princess of your Mom
LBH was queer

Ballkicks: (+14 / -43)
Reg. Date: Oct 2002
Reply 7 of 15 (Originally posted on: 06-14-06 05:23:00 AM)

I like to use LimeWire to get music, but i'm not very good at organization. everything is just sort of clumped together
Zu Lu Death Mask

SaladFingers: "I like to touch rusty spoons..."
antpocas
"Sex is not dating."
"If it were, Santana and I would be dating.

GLEEK

Ballkicks: (+414 / -233)
Reply 8 of 15 (Originally posted on: 06-14-06 11:15:36 PM)

You want foobar2000. With a ridiculously low memory footprint and CPU usage, it's absolutely amazing and incredibly customizable. You can also set up hotkeys so that you don't have to switch back to it, just make it a global hotkey. You could have something like Win + Z for stop, Win + X for Play/Pause, Win + C for previous and Win + V for next.
TheShadowDawn
Cautiously optimistic

Draggy

Ballkicks: (+82 / -11)
Reg. Date: Apr 2002
Reply 9 of 15 (Originally posted on: 06-15-06 07:02:07 AM)

Quote:
and I notice a big difference when I'm playing videogames.

Music playing by nature takes a lot of computer resources. The program you use will only make a superficial difference.

Unless you have an actual sound card, and no one these days does, all of your audio processing is done by the CPU. The onboard audio chip only provides the necessary hardware translation, and is going to slow the process down anyway because info has to be exchanged between the CPU and sound chip. A real sound card, by contrast, does all the audio work itself. Of course, I went out and bought a real soundcard, (chiefly for a feature that it turns out I didn't need) and I haven't noticed any performance difference.

The solution is not to run media players while you're playing games, or watching movies, or anything else that demands all your system resources. Why on earth ARE you running itunes while playing games, anyway?
You live and learn. At any rate, you live.
mmac
INTL Premium Member

3ms will rise again

Reply 10 of 15 (Originally posted on: 06-15-06 07:14:41 AM)

Because I like to listen to music while I'm playing video games. I have way too much time invested into certain video games, and listening to the same music all of the time will drive you insane.
This signature is only a temporary replacement for something that is actually funny.

Alloy
Grammar Whores Unite

Androgynous Mystic Wizard

Ballkicks: (+95 / -20)
Reg. Date: Jan 2006
Reply 11 of 15 (Originally posted on: 06-15-06 09:10:32 AM)

Does foobar2000 support m4a files?

EDIT: My bad, apparently m4a is the same mp4. I should really look this stuff up before asking.
antpocas
"Sex is not dating."

GLEEK

Reply 12 of 15 (Originally posted on: 06-15-06 09:55:12 AM)

Quoted from TheShadowDawn:
Quote:
and I notice a big difference when I'm playing videogames.

Music playing by nature takes a lot of computer resources. The program you use will only make a superficial difference.

I can run one GBA emulator and one SNES emulator while playing an ogg on foobar2000 and notice no slowdown. If I try to run a single emulator and play an ogg in winamp, both of them run slowly and I can't play a game or listen to music. My processor is only a P4 2.4GHz Northwood, too.
goatsnacks
Administrators

"When I decide to brush (maybe once a week)" -Snook, INTL's #1 Scrub

Ballkicks: (+512 / -167)
Reg. Date: Feb 2004
Reply 13 of 15 (Originally posted on: 06-16-06 10:38:17 AM)

How the hell are you playing a game boy and a super nintendo at the same timeOMG why is Dad kissing that guy?!?
I want you to know that even though we're sitting down we're giving you a standing ovation.
mmac
INTL Premium Member

3ms will rise again

Reply 14 of 15 (Originally posted on: 06-16-06 05:48:57 PM)

Thanks, that's working great for me.

antpocas
"Sex is not dating."

GLEEK

Reply 15 of 15 (Originally posted on: 06-16-06 10:16:32 PM)

Quoted from Aaron:
How the hell are you playing a game boy and a super nintendo at the same timeOMG why is Dad kissing that guy?!?
I was playing Advance Wars and Chrono Trigger ok they're turn based UR THE GHEYEST PERSNO EVAR SNDAMIT!!1
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 2076 | Total Posts: 15 ]