Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Site Comments > Archives > Archived Forums > Pretension Palace: i don't like that band because you've heard of them > what do you listen to when you go to sleep? > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest. Moderated by: Amphytrite
Page: [ 1 2 ] [ Thread Views: 3438 | Total Posts: 29 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
C
Administrator

Level 90 Ginger

Ballkicks: (+723 / -204)
Reg. Date: Jun 2002
(Originally posted on: 05-28-06 02:05:28 AM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

Sometimes I like to throw on a bit of music when I go to bed, and while I normally just put on an album, I went ahead and made a compilation of what I thought would be some good stuff to listen to as I drift into unconsciousness.

Quote:
Rise Against - Swing Life Away
Ben Folds - Still Fighting It
Abandoned Pools - The Catalyst
Brand New - Soco Amaretto Lime
Eric Clapton - Wonderful Tonight
Hinder - Lips of an Angel
Jack Johnson - Do You Remember
James Blunt - Goodbye My Love
Phantom Planet - Lonely Day
Saves The Day - At Your Funeral
Rhett Miller - Come Around
Old 97's - Question
The Starting Line - The Best Of Me
Straylight Run - Sympathy For The Martyr
Nick Drake - One Of These Things First
Frou Frou - Let Go

Post yours.
Realize that falling in love with someone is just the results of a series of generic events that can occur between you and basically anyone who meets your standards of attractiveness. It's just an emotional manifestation of a handfull of chemicals bouncing back and forth. It's not the holy grail of living, it's not your reason to exist and it's definitely not something reserved for "that one person". Accept that you are just an animal with a big brain that allows him to fret over what only amounts to a game of hormone pool. What you're feeling is not your soul dying a gurgling, ugly death, but withdrawal. All the happy chemicals that saturated your body when you were with her are kicking out cold turkey, and your body is screaming bloody murder, where are my fucking endorphins? It's just chocolate. Find a new bar.
Tiger

One Big Happy

Ballkicks: (+34 / -10)
Reg. Date: Mar 2006
Reply 1 of 29 (Originally posted on: 05-28-06 02:59:45 AM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

Its odd, but I often listen to the Sex Pistols lying in bed at night. I don't know if it calms me down or what, but it works.

Some nice, dreamy blues always does me nicely at night too.
Sixten Sparre
…pater la bourgeoisie

wears neckerchiefs

Ballkicks: (+1184 / -307)
Reg. Date: Sep 2002
Reply 2 of 29 (Originally posted on: 05-28-06 05:05:21 AM)

I've listened to anything, i have my CD-player right next to my bead.

Last night i heard Songs from the Big Chair by Tears For Fears
Tough, Unique, Bad, Bodacious, and Sassy.
Alloy
Grammar Whores Unite

Androgynous Mystic Wizard

Ballkicks: (+95 / -20)
Reg. Date: Jan 2006
Reply 3 of 29 (Originally posted on: 05-28-06 11:04:19 AM)

Pink Floyd's Atom Heart Mother is great for drifting off to.
Dante

cocks in my mouth

Ballkicks: (+661 / -97)
Reg. Date: May 2004
Reply 4 of 29 (Originally posted on: 05-29-06 12:57:50 AM)

I listen to talk radio...normally not NPR, but not Limbaugh-type republicans either...

Just random talk stations.
Work-work-work. Gnaw-gnaw-gnaw. Build-build-build. Must hurry
kayte
INTL Premium Member

How long until this becomes my new title let's count the seconds

Ballkicks: (+1019 / -241)
Reg. Date: Nov 2003
Reply 5 of 29 (Originally posted on: 05-30-06 04:38:22 PM)

I listen to Live at Luther College a lot when going to bed, especially in strange places where something familiar is comforting. I just take the faster songs out of the playlist, and then it is quite soothing.
emtilt

the cow of horses

Ballkicks: (+486 / -41)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
Reply 6 of 29 (Originally posted on: 05-30-06 05:13:09 PM)

I perform John Cage's 4'33" when I go to sleep.
L'enfer, c'est les autres.
Alloy
Grammar Whores Unite

Androgynous Mystic Wizard

Ballkicks: (+95 / -20)
Reg. Date: Jan 2006
Reply 7 of 29 (Originally posted on: 05-31-06 03:48:07 PM)

Am I a nerd for laughing at that?
Tabaxus

I post at INTL and all I got was this lousy title

Ballkicks: (+53 / -24)
Reg. Date: Sep 2003
Reply 8 of 29 (Originally posted on: 06-02-06 06:14:44 PM)

Damnit. I used to have an "Are you a theory nerd?" webpage, and one of the questions involved Cage 4'33". It saddens me that I don't have that page.

Music for going to sleep- I used to listen to art music, but it keeps me awake these days (I end up wanting to study the score, blah blah. Don't worry, Alloy, I'm a much bigger nerd than you.)

Cash works for me, as does really quiet techno (probably the repeating patterns or something.)

Also, piano music in general, unless it is a concerto (See score study complaint) or Listz (Fucking crazy guy.) Chopin and Debussy are really good for the sleep/relaxation.

Also, instrumental jazz/blues.
Amphytrite
Hard for Drah

I don't really even like hearing about it or reading about it

Ballkicks: (+1869 / -83)
Reg. Date: Apr 2004
Reply 9 of 29 (Originally posted on: 06-02-06 09:22:45 PM)

When I'm not tired but I'm in bed, AFI makes me fall asleep. If I'm tired I don't usually listen to anything, but every once in a while if I want to have good dreams I'll listen to Beck's album Guero while I'm falling asleep.
sukkit 7: one day my grandchildren will sit down by the fire and I'll tell them the story of the arena
ExtraKryspi
I WHINE ABOUT ASININE SHIT
i like your style kryspi

Ballkicks: (+117 / -63)
Reg. Date: Nov 2002
Reply 10 of 29 (Originally posted on: 06-03-06 01:09:16 PM)

Usually either Bach's Goldberg Variations or Mississippi John Hurt.
e io etterna duro
Tabaxus

I post at INTL and all I got was this lousy title

Ballkicks: (+53 / -24)
Reg. Date: Sep 2003
Reply 11 of 29 (Originally posted on: 06-03-06 02:04:07 PM)

Quoted from ExtraKryspi:
Usually either Bach's Goldberg Variations

I left that one out, therefore, I'm a bad person.
Hasty Penguin
get in the box
People are a danger to society.

there is a guy who gets it on with three girls at once and they all have amazing unibrows

Ballkicks: (+1307 / -46)
Reg. Date: May 2002
Reply 12 of 29 (Originally posted on: 06-03-06 11:10:25 PM)

DJ TiŽsto's "Nyana" CDs or Deadly Avenger's "Deep Red" put me to sleep quite well (provided that's what I'm trying to do - they're still good CDs otherwise).
"One time I spilled ice cream on my pants and we had to throw them out."
"Last night I fell asleep, and when I woke up, my room was a black and white movie."

Theatre on the Edge
My Musical Compositions
The Hunger Site
Tiger

One Big Happy

Reply 13 of 29 (Originally posted on: 06-04-06 01:39:31 AM)

Tonight I'm going to listen to the Dave Brubeck Quartet. Those cats will burn the paint right of the walls.
ifuckingloveyou
you too, fucker

Ballkicks: (+6 / -1)
Reg. Date: May 2006
Reply 14 of 29 (Originally posted on: 06-04-06 10:43:10 PM)

When I had a roomate, I needed to listen to music to drown out her nightly phone conversations that occured in sync with my bed time. Mostly I listened to Zeppelin. Heres my playlist to sleep to.

Fool in the Rain
Dy'er Maker
Dazed and Confused
Hey Lady
Smoke on the Water
Kashmir
i once caught a llama with a butterfly net. the fat llama broke my net.
drudo182

Ballkicks: (+2 / -1)
Reg. Date: Jun 2006
Reply 15 of 29 (Originally posted on: 06-05-06 04:30:21 PM)

The best stuff to listen to is instrumental stuff like Explosions in the Sky or even Isis and Red Sparowes.

Explosions in the Sky is especially good. They did the music for Friday Night Lights and are amazing. Give them a listen.

Also, Sigur Ros is a good band too.

One other band to add is American Football whom I am listening to now.
Unmotivated

My G-d is offended by the letter o.

Ballkicks: (+61 / -14)
Reg. Date: Oct 2003
Reply 16 of 29 (Originally posted on: 06-05-06 05:37:20 PM)

I can't have any music on when I'm trying to sleep. I tend to focus on the music, and I am never able to get to sleep.
Dante

cocks in my mouth

Ballkicks: (+661 / -97)
Reg. Date: May 2004
Reply 17 of 29 (Originally posted on: 06-05-06 09:16:41 PM)

Quoted from Tiger:
Tonight I'm going to listen to the Dave Brubeck Quartet. Those cats will burn the paint right of the walls.
Seconded.
Work-work-work. Gnaw-gnaw-gnaw. Build-build-build. Must hurry
Mr Excitable
INTL Premium Member
My girlfriend is the Michelin Man

Ballkicks: (+514 / -60)
Reg. Date: Jan 2003
Reply 18 of 29 (Originally posted on: 06-05-06 09:18:38 PM)

if music its the cbc program northern lights which plays nice classical music or some blues.
Blogroll The Party Live
Tiger

One Big Happy

Reply 19 of 29 (Originally posted on: 06-06-06 01:46:54 AM)

Dave Brubeck worked perfectly, I was out in about 15 minutes (normally it takes ages). Last night I listened to Marilyn Manson's Mechanical Animals, which didn't work but I enjoyed it also.
Pluveto

Rain Man

Ballkicks: (+164 / -45)
Reply 20 of 29 (Originally posted on: 06-06-06 10:36:34 AM)

Quote:
I listen to Live at Luther College a lot when going to bed, especially in strange places where something familiar is comforting.

Same. Something about the extreme familiarity of the music mixed with the soothing voice is very comforting.
Nickolati
...moved to Idaho?

the cumstain that is left on the wall 11 years after the party has ended

Ballkicks: (+611 / -61)
Reg. Date: Dec 2003
Reply 21 of 29 (Originally posted on: 06-06-06 04:43:24 PM)

Aphex Twin
Telefon Tel Aviv
Portishead
Old Skool Nelly Furtado
Rather than filling it overfull, its better to stop in time.
Sharpen the blade to a point, but the edge wonít last forever.
Gold and jade may fill the house, but no one can retain them for eternity.
Boasting of wealth and virtue, brings trouble on oneself.
Reticence when the job is done, is the Way of heaven.
D
Administrator

i didn't have the strength to get it all the way off

Ballkicks: (+1950 / -91)
Reply 22 of 29 (Originally posted on: 06-06-06 05:17:08 PM)

Usually I just put on whatever. Lately I usually don't put anything on cause I know once I fall asleep its just a waste of energy, and I usually fall asleep pretty quickly.

Last night though I had some Bob Dylan playing, and it was awesome cause it didn't get blocked out like music normally does when I sleep, and all night it was playing throughout my dreams, like a soundtrack. People were singing along sometimes too, and sometimes the lyrics were being spoken as part of a conversation.

It was especially awesome because last night I had a crazy dream that lasted a really really long time. It was like a very complex murder-mystery.
"They could have grown up to become Hitler....collectively." - Ztolk's creepy Flash man
Lyle

My penis is huge

Ballkicks: (+243 / -48)
Reg. Date: Nov 2002
Reply 23 of 29 (Originally posted on: 06-06-06 09:35:03 PM)

i've made a couple different playlists of stuff to sleep to. here's the most recent:

broken social scene - pitter patter goes my heart
sufjan stevens - lets hear that string part agian...etc..
amelie soundtrack - la valse d'amelie (orchestra version)
a silver mt. zion - stumble then rise on some awkward morning
four tet - my angel rocks back and forth
the album leaf - we were once one
eluvim - an accidental memory in the case of death
iron and wine - in my lady's house
denison witmer - little flowers
sun kil moon - carry me ohio
explosions in the sky - day five

i also listen to a lot of the other stuff by explosions in the sky (as per usual), the album leaf, iron and wine, and a silver mt. zion if i want to go to sleep. some other artist i like to listen to are akron/family, marjorie fair, david dondero, bright eyes, and tons of other 'folk' music, too.

edit: and drudo, explosions did a lot of stuff before they did friday night lights, and it's better than a lot of stuff they did for that, too.
Kitabatake
Fishing with Firecrackers

2efficient4spacebar

Ballkicks: (+450 / -46)
Reg. Date: May 2002
Reply 24 of 29 (Originally posted on: 06-10-06 11:37:00 AM)

I've listened to pretty much everything on my playlist, but I like to listen to blues or surf music in particular. It's just a little more soothing, to me.
You think I like you.
But I don't like you.
I hate your guts, I hate your guts.
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 2 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 3438 | Total Posts: 29 ]