Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Discussion Forums > The "Song A Day" Thread Forum > Just drinking buddies? > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest. Moderated by: D drahnier
Page: [ 1 ] [ Thread Views: 2054 | Total Posts: 18 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
Pertti Susilainen
Head Priest

mr. sukkit

Ballkicks: (+924 / -57)
Reg. Date: Dec 2002
(Originally posted on: 05-21-06 04:23:41 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

Last night, after drinking and partying almost hard with my friends, I had a bit of serious conversation with a friend of mine. Basically, he began saying that he was not happy with how things worked in our group of friends, because we never talk about serious stuff. It's almost like we're just drinking buddies, even though in reality it's not like that at all. He said, quite rightly, that nobody ever expresses their feelings. It made me think my group of friends, at least the core of it, has always been a bit cold in regards to keeping the distance. Seldom, if ever, do we hear about someone's plans for the future, or about his/her fears, or anything at all. We have fun, we make jokes, we are there when the others need us, and that's it.

So it made me question, how is the relationship in other groups of friends? Do you talk about serious stuff that much? This wouldn't include politics, as we talk about it quite often but I think it's a whole different manner, it's more impersonal, so to speak.

I don't know, I'm curious.
"Hwt, he on a tid e he inne bi, ne bi hrinen mid y storme s wintres; ac t bi an eagan bryhtm and t lste fc, ac he sona of wintre on one winter eft cyme hwt r foregange, oe hwt r fylige, we ne cunnen."
"Lo, he, in the time that he is inside, is not touched by the storm of the winter, but that is an eye's winking and the least time, but he straightway comes back from winter into winter, what thereto may precede or what to it may follow, we do not know."
Hasty Penguin
get in the box
People are a danger to society.

there is a guy who gets it on with three girls at once and they all have amazing unibrows

Ballkicks: (+1306 / -46)
Reg. Date: May 2002
Reply 1 of 18 (Originally posted on: 05-21-06 04:31:06 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

My friends and I tend to make jokes. We don't discuss serious things much, either. There are a couple people who bring it up every so often, but mostly it ends in depression, unfortunately, so we don't bother.

Acceptances to universities and such were congratulated, of course, but generally speaking, we just make jokes about day to day life.
"One time I spilled ice cream on my pants and we had to throw them out."
"Last night I fell asleep, and when I woke up, my room was a black and white movie."

Theatre on the Edge
My Musical Compositions
The Hunger Site
Mingan
INTL Alumni
Mmm Skyscraper I Love You

Why are we having this wedding? because Abraham Lincoln, of course!

Ballkicks: (+637 / -48)
Reply 2 of 18 (Originally posted on: 05-21-06 04:35:58 PM)

depends on which friends

with some we discuss a lot of things about our selves, how certain things made us feel, and why, etc

with others its indeed more drinking budies, but then I know thats what they're for, and I dont expect anything else.
Wireless Muppet, of Strings and Ribbonwax
Sixten Sparre
pater la bourgeoisie

wears neckerchiefs

Ballkicks: (+1184 / -307)
Reg. Date: Sep 2002
Reply 3 of 18 (Originally posted on: 05-21-06 04:41:11 PM)

I'll talk about whatever i feel like, maybe i have a bad for feeling for the situations, but i try to talk about most stuff with most people, except my best friends, whom i will discuss anything with......

The stuff you described, i coudln't live such a farce, i know most people can, and do......but it's boring, it reminds of the old men in this town, their cold personalities, and how i just know that when they were small, their daddy told them that crying is for girls, and doing carpentry is for men.....

A persons personality is made up of many emotions, ideas, quirks and faults, and i intend to use that whole palette to paint a vibrant portrait of myself
Tough, Unique, Bad, Bodacious, and Sassy.
drahnier
INTL VIP
:iceburn:

Ballkicks: (+886 / -232)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
Reply 4 of 18 (Originally posted on: 05-21-06 05:55:09 PM)

No, the only people i've been honest about emotions with is my mom and the internet.
DRAHNIER
Zippo
pooooooop

Leveling entire cities with her magnificient girl-cock

Ballkicks: (+1097 / -49)
Reg. Date: Nov 2002
Reply 5 of 18 (Originally posted on: 05-21-06 06:05:08 PM)

I have no problem talking to any of my friends about anything, but more often than not, I'm on the receiving end of the conversation.

But the nature of the friendship really depends on the context of the relationship. If the friend happens to be a classmate and the extent of your interactions remains in the classroom, then maybe the breadth of discussion topics is limited. But if it's someone that you've known for years, then you'd expect more closeness and exchange of concerns and feelings.

Friends can function in many ways -- they can be confidantes or they can be a great way to spend a Friday night.
animatedcardigan: your nose is sexy[/w]

[w]Apprenticed under Kage-STFU the art of bujutsu
"It is in Men that we must place our hope." - Gandalf the Grey
Kitabatake
Fishing with Firecrackers

2efficient4spacebar

Ballkicks: (+450 / -46)
Reply 6 of 18 (Originally posted on: 05-21-06 07:09:15 PM)

I think that it might have to do with the size of the group.

In my experience, people are usually only willing to bare themselves to one or two people at a time. The larger the group of people, the more difficult it becomes to deal with the possibility of seeming weak.

I think.
You think I like you.
But I don't like you.
I hate your guts, I hate your guts.
Hoff
Lightnin' Hopkins

Helping a brother out.

Ballkicks: (+192 / -38)
Reg. Date: Jan 2006
Reply 7 of 18 (Originally posted on: 05-21-06 08:01:44 PM)

I think surt raises a good point bring up the differences between females and males. To me i think that females would be more willing to bare their emotions, atleast more often then males would be. Whether that is the way they were brought up or if it is genetic or if it is completely false i have no idea.
Sunn O)))
INTL Alumni
14 year RP master

Zan-beef

Ballkicks: (+761 / -127)
Reply 8 of 18 (Originally posted on: 05-21-06 08:11:47 PM)

I'm not.
When it comes down to it, I'm open when people ask, but nobody ever asks. More or less, I get into friendships that revolve around activities - going for lunch, going to a bar, drinking, going to other places - I miss these. There a few that I've talked to deeply, but those tend to be online and/or they disappear after a while. I don't see them again for weeks or months.

If the greatest quality of a best friend is someone to open up to offline, I lack one. Those I see as being close friends are usually not that close, despite how much I may try or desire at times.

I'm not even close with my family.
Pluveto

Rain Man

Ballkicks: (+164 / -45)
Reply 9 of 18 (Originally posted on: 05-21-06 08:38:24 PM)

I like what you said, Surt.
Amphytrite
Hard for Drah

I don't really even like hearing about it or reading about it

Ballkicks: (+1869 / -83)
Reg. Date: Apr 2004
Reply 10 of 18 (Originally posted on: 05-21-06 09:45:08 PM)

Quoted from Zippo:
I have no problem talking to any of my friends about anything, but more often than not, I'm on the receiving end of the conversation.

Me too.
I kinda have two sets of friends, like an inner circle and an outer circle. The inner circle's great for talking about anything and whatnot, and the outer circle's more for activities.
It seems like guys are less likely to actually talk about stuff with other guys, for some reason. Isn't it some sort of social outlet crap like they always write about in Cosmo and Surt talked about? Guys just don't talk about stuff as much, which is probably hard if you're a guy.
And Drah (sort of) brings up an interesting point-I've always had an easier time talking to a guy about religion or social affects or life over IM, rather than face to face. Something about the anonymity of a computer screen makes it easier to just say something and not have to deal with the other sensory information that could probably end up overwhelming.
sukkit 7: one day my grandchildren will sit down by the fire and I'll tell them the story of the arena
Pertti Susilainen
Head Priest

mr. sukkit

Ballkicks: (+924 / -57)
Reply 11 of 18 (Originally posted on: 05-22-06 02:42:37 AM)

I have an inner circle and an outer circle too, and I wouldn't even think of talking of serious stuff (other than perhaps politics) with people from the outer circle.

Then there's the core of the inner circle, numbering perhaps two or three people with whom I could theoretically speak of anything. But in the past, this 'anything' has only meant talking of relationships, who you like and what you're going to do about it. And that, not in any depth whatsoever.

That's what has led me to think that, sometimes, people online might know me better than people offline in some regards.

But I agree with Surt in that it should be different. It's not something we've planned, though, and the females in the group seem to be just as careless as the males (but I'm sure they're not, when they're only among female friends).
"Hwt, he on a tid e he inne bi, ne bi hrinen mid y storme s wintres; ac t bi an eagan bryhtm and t lste fc, ac he sona of wintre on one winter eft cyme hwt r foregange, oe hwt r fylige, we ne cunnen."
"Lo, he, in the time that he is inside, is not touched by the storm of the winter, but that is an eye's winking and the least time, but he straightway comes back from winter into winter, what thereto may precede or what to it may follow, we do not know."
greenidentity
Disco naps and liquorice Snaps.

It is time for some fine fine wine.....or box wine it's all good man

Ballkicks: (+603 / -81)
Reg. Date: Jun 2002
Reply 12 of 18 (Originally posted on: 05-22-06 07:03:57 AM)

I like what you said too, Surt i'm a serial-killer :)

It is possible to have someone be both. I have many friends that don't/rarely drink, and I'll go out to dinner with them and such, and we talk. I have a few good friends who I can drink with, and then go grocery shopping with, or sit down at a coffee shop and have a good time either way.

I consider drinking buddies to be people who I only see occasionally, out at the bar or something, or people who only come over for after parties. If I get to a place of regular phone/internet/real life contact with anyone, there is bound to be an element of solid friendship there, even if there's alot of drinking involved sometimes.
You make me sick
Because I adore you so.
Alloy
Grammar Whores Unite

Androgynous Mystic Wizard

Ballkicks: (+95 / -20)
Reg. Date: Jan 2006
Reply 13 of 18 (Originally posted on: 05-22-06 09:13:26 AM)

If I can't talk to people about something serious - at least once in a while - I don't consider them close friends but rather "mates". So I have ... four, maybe five close friends? The rest would be drinking buddies if I ever drank. kekeke u give soj???
Socrateius
Robobear 3000

homersexual

Ballkicks: (+611 / -49)
Reg. Date: Jul 2002
Reply 14 of 18 (Originally posted on: 05-22-06 12:40:20 PM)

I used to have only a couple close friends in high school, but I find that even those that are "just drinking buddies" at college end up being really in touch with themselves and I've had really good conversations with them, particularly while we're drunk. There are still some people here who are like totally distant, but the majority of my friends here are pretty awesome in that they're really approachable and open about their emotions. I think that's a big reason why I was so depressed in high school and absolutely love college.
HeavenGaymes hahaha gay mes

"Being tackled is fun cause its like getting a great big hug from a strong guy. You get to lose yourself in his arms...It only hurts when they let go MAGUSMAGUSMAGUSMAGUS" - Shady Milkman

"I'm not even sure if believe in abortions period...but man do I hate retards" - Dimitrios
Ztolk
INTL Premium Member
Rawr.

definitely threw the blue lego

Ballkicks: (+838 / -47)
Reply 15 of 18 (Originally posted on: 05-22-06 03:52:59 PM)

I used to think I was "friends" with the people with whom I would get at the same place and time. When I actually thought about my relationships with those people, I realized that most of them weren't really my friends and that I didn't actually like quite a few of them. Friendship needs to be maintain while sober, in my opinion.
* FlamingArrow sets mode: +v Jew
* FlamingArrow sets mode: +o Jew
<FlamingArrow> AHHHH ZIONIST TAKEOVER
*** FlamingArrow has left #INTL
Amiodarone
INTL Premium Member

pronounces name 'ileu'

Ballkicks: (+126 / -46)
Reply 16 of 18 (Originally posted on: 05-22-06 11:58:50 PM)

At home my friends and I just go get fucked up and really the only problems we ever talk about is how broke we are from going out every night. At school, I talk a lot more to my friends, but even then a lot of it is just about being broke.
Tiger

One Big Happy

Ballkicks: (+34 / -10)
Reg. Date: Mar 2006
Reply 17 of 18 (Originally posted on: 05-23-06 11:15:02 PM)

It all makes me feel quite empty and emo. My three really, really good friends I can never talk about any problems I'm having or anything with. I sort of can with my dad and maybe my mum, and my girlfriend, but apart from that, I feel more comfortable telling tons of strangers on the net.

And I like what Surt said, but my inability to express my emotions is not to do with my parents, its to do with my living in a small country town. it sucks the life out of you.
Smokey
INTL Premium Member
fuck this title

funkle smokey

Ballkicks: (+845 / -114)
Reg. Date: Jun 2004
Reply 18 of 18 (Originally posted on: 05-26-06 12:13:07 PM)

Quoted from Mingan:
depends on which friends

with some we discuss a lot of things about our selves, how certain things made us feel, and why, etc

with others its indeed more drinking budies, but then I know thats what they're for, and I dont expect anything else.

I stopped reading here becuase I'm the same way.

But, on the same note, those friends who are just drinking buddies are only that because - and I don't really tell them this...I pretty much don't give a shit about them. I mean, one of them is everything daddy Bush would love us all to be as Americans - but he throws a mean party.

I'd sell him down the river for a snickers bar, but yeah, drinking buddy I can handle.
DeathofSmokey: Smokey is the coolest guy I know.
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 2054 | Total Posts: 18 ]