Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Discussion Forums > The "Song A Day" Thread Forum > who here is Buddhist > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest. Moderated by: D drahnier
Page: [ 1 2 ] [ Thread Views: 3389 | Total Posts: 31 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
superstar satisfaction

pseudO Buddha

Ballkicks: (+21 / -12)
Reg. Date: Sep 2005
(Originally posted on: 05-16-06 11:05:06 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

What made you decide to start practicing, and how long have you been? What do others in your life think of it?
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

gotta get that VICTORY ROYALE #gamer #memes #LoL

Ballkicks: (+1782 / -130)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
Reply 1 of 31 (Originally posted on: 05-17-06 12:11:09 AM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

we ban buddhists around here

are you buddhist
superstar satisfaction

pseudO Buddha

Ballkicks: (+21 / -12)
Reg. Date: Sep 2005
Reply 2 of 31 (Originally posted on: 05-17-06 12:23:51 AM)

uh... NO!
Tazzo
teh TEH evar EVAR funnay FUNNAY :rolleyes:

When a couple of kids who were up to good started making trouble in my neighborhood

Ballkicks: (+668 / -110)
Reg. Date: Aug 2003
Reply 3 of 31 (Originally posted on: 05-17-06 12:43:04 AM)

SMOKEin ALl MY BUDah
the winged cock
they don't! thank god

Ballkicks: (+82 / -54)
Reg. Date: Jan 2003
Reply 4 of 31 (Originally posted on: 05-17-06 02:33:31 AM)

I know some folk who throw Buddha statues in Buddha-throwing competitions. That's about as close as I get to practising Buddhism.
MABB. | DreadventurouZ
Sixten Sparre
pater la bourgeoisie

wears neckerchiefs

Ballkicks: (+1184 / -307)
Reg. Date: Sep 2002
Reply 5 of 31 (Originally posted on: 05-17-06 04:38:22 AM)

If i could choose a religion it would probably be buddhism

but that's a moot point, because i'm not dumb enough to worship old stories with a side dish of morals that really doesn't apply to me as a unique person
Tough, Unique, Bad, Bodacious, and Sassy.
Hasty Penguin
get in the box
People are a danger to society.

there is a guy who gets it on with three girls at once and they all have amazing unibrows

Ballkicks: (+1307 / -46)
Reg. Date: May 2002
Reply 6 of 31 (Originally posted on: 05-17-06 06:53:53 AM)

The Buddhist "middle way" thing is pretty slick, and the morals are all fine and good, but I don't really practice religion. Buddhism is more of a philosophy anyway.

Plus, I like being somewhat carnivorous sometimes.
"One time I spilled ice cream on my pants and we had to throw them out."
"Last night I fell asleep, and when I woke up, my room was a black and white movie."

Theatre on the Edge
My Musical Compositions
The Hunger Site
This reply was last edited on 05-17-06 02:54:38 PM by Hasty Penguin.
Pertti Susilainen
Head Priest

mr. sukkit

Ballkicks: (+924 / -57)
Reg. Date: Dec 2002
Reply 7 of 31 (Originally posted on: 05-17-06 01:59:46 PM)

Back in school they taught us Buddhism worshipped no deities whatsoever. What kind of religion does that? At least give me a cool fable about (the) god(s)' wrath.
"Hwt, he on a tid e he inne bi, ne bi hrinen mid y storme s wintres; ac t bi an eagan bryhtm and t lste fc, ac he sona of wintre on one winter eft cyme hwt r foregange, oe hwt r fylige, we ne cunnen."
"Lo, he, in the time that he is inside, is not touched by the storm of the winter, but that is an eye's winking and the least time, but he straightway comes back from winter into winter, what thereto may precede or what to it may follow, we do not know."
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

Reply 8 of 31 (Originally posted on: 05-17-06 02:17:35 PM)

I was talking to my Vietnamese friend, who grew up Buddhist. Now she lives in Berkeley, and once she went to a Buddhist event thing and there were all these white people there and she couldn't understand why they were so happy about being Buddhist, because Buddhism teaches that the world is suffering, and all Buddhists she knew were suitably unhappy about the world. In short, white people who are Buddhists are full of shit.
emtilt

the cow of horses

Ballkicks: (+486 / -41)
Reply 9 of 31 (Originally posted on: 05-17-06 02:18:29 PM)

Quoted from Sukkit:
Back in school they taught us Buddhism worshipped no deities whatsoever. What kind of religion does that? At least give me a cool fable about (the) god(s)' wrath.

Not all Buddhists believe in no deities whatsoever. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_in_Buddhism

Quoted from ice:
In short, white people who are Buddhists are full of shit.

This is true of all the self-proclaimed Buddhists I've met. Usually they're just ignorant morons trying to sound sophisticated (this is obviously a hasty generalization; it's just been my experience).
L'enfer, c'est les autres.
emtilt

the cow of horses

Ballkicks: (+486 / -41)
Reply 10 of 31 (Originally posted on: 05-17-06 02:19:45 PM)

this post was accidental. please delete.
L'enfer, c'est les autres.
Alloy
Grammar Whores Unite

Androgynous Mystic Wizard

Ballkicks: (+95 / -20)
Reg. Date: Jan 2006
Reply 11 of 31 (Originally posted on: 05-17-06 02:39:59 PM)

If I was forced at gunpoint to choose a religion, it'd be Buddhism. To the best of my knowledge, it contains zero bullshit about wrathful creator gods who are obviously into BDSM and want us to be their loyal, uncomplaining submissives. The idea of following a middle way appeals to me, even though I'm one of those people who positively gravitate to extremes.

However, I like eating meat and I don't like meditating and I don't like blindly following a set moral code because it's my "faith". And I don't really believe in reincarnation. So I'll stick with being atheist, thanks.
kayte
INTL Premium Member

How long until this becomes my new title let's count the seconds

Ballkicks: (+1019 / -241)
Reg. Date: Nov 2003
Reply 12 of 31 (Originally posted on: 05-17-06 03:15:48 PM)

I'm not Buddhist! But I'm a big fan of the Dali Lama, he is very giggly and I find it endearing.
Science Brad
INTL Premium Member
sigh

Logic is the beginning of wisdom, not the end.

Ballkicks: (+288 / -77)
Reg. Date: Jul 2002
Reply 13 of 31 (Originally posted on: 05-17-06 03:33:10 PM)

I know a few 'Buddhists'. They're quite full of shit. Claim to be all enlightened and peaceful, above emotion. So I take great joy in prodding and poking them a la Dr. House until they snap with often humerous results since for some reason people are shocked that these enlightened gods of serenity have emotions.

I'm an equal opportunity annoyer. OH YEAH!
"Poets say science takes away from the beauty of the stars mere globs of gas atoms. Nothing is 'mere'. I too can see the stars on a desert night, and feel them. But do I see less or more? The vastness of the heavens stretches my imagination stuck on this carousel my little eye can catch one-million-year-old light. A vast pattern of which I am a part... What is the pattern or the meaning or the why? It does not do harm to the mystery to know a little more about it. For far more marvelous is the truth than any artists of the past imagined it. Why do the poets of the present not speak of it? What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent."
"Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool."
"You can know the name of a bird in all the languages of the world, but when you're finished, you'll know absolutely nothing whatever about the bird... So let's look at the bird and see what it's doing that's what counts. I learned very early the difference between knowing the name of something and knowing something."
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled."
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt."
All by R. Feynman.
Pertti Susilainen
Head Priest

mr. sukkit

Reply 14 of 31 (Originally posted on: 05-17-06 03:44:43 PM)

A fad is a fad, no matter what it is about. And at least it's not Scientology.

Thanks for the link, emtilt.
"Hwt, he on a tid e he inne bi, ne bi hrinen mid y storme s wintres; ac t bi an eagan bryhtm and t lste fc, ac he sona of wintre on one winter eft cyme hwt r foregange, oe hwt r fylige, we ne cunnen."
"Lo, he, in the time that he is inside, is not touched by the storm of the winter, but that is an eye's winking and the least time, but he straightway comes back from winter into winter, what thereto may precede or what to it may follow, we do not know."
Amphytrite
Hard for Drah

I don't really even like hearing about it or reading about it

Ballkicks: (+1869 / -83)
Reg. Date: Apr 2004
Reply 15 of 31 (Originally posted on: 05-17-06 04:13:49 PM)

At first I thought the thread title said "where is Buddha". It's nice to know that's not what it actually says.
sukkit 7: one day my grandchildren will sit down by the fire and I'll tell them the story of the arena
kayte
INTL Premium Member

How long until this becomes my new title let's count the seconds

Ballkicks: (+1019 / -241)
Reg. Date: Nov 2003
Reply 16 of 31 (Originally posted on: 05-17-06 04:35:34 PM)

Quoted from Sukkit:
A fad is a fad, no matter what it is about. And at least it's not Scientology.

Thanks for the link, emtilt.

Quoted from Wikipedia!:
Buddhism is a religion and philosophy focusing on the teachings of the Buddha Śākyamuni (Siddhārtha Gautama), who probably lived in the 5th century BCE. Buddhism spread throughout the ancient Indian sub-continent in the five centuries following the Buddha's death... Buddhism continues to attract followers worldwide, and, with around 350 million followers, it is considered a major world religion.

That's...not really a fad.
Mr Excitable
INTL Premium Member
My girlfriend is the Michelin Man

Ballkicks: (+514 / -60)
Reg. Date: Jan 2003
Reply 17 of 31 (Originally posted on: 05-17-06 05:14:05 PM)

No but many people seem to turn to religions as fads, buddhism, scientology, and Kabbalah. I personally would like to learn more about buddhism, only because I have taken a few religion classes during university and it sparked my interest.
Blogroll The Party Live
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

Reply 18 of 31 (Originally posted on: 05-17-06 08:07:30 PM)

Quoted from kayte:

yo we're talking about white people pretending to be buddhists
IB
Stays True to His Name

I should die

Ballkicks: (+171 / -76)
Reg. Date: May 2002
Reply 19 of 31 (Originally posted on: 05-17-06 08:54:16 PM)

Quoted from ice:
Quoted from kayte:

yo we're talking about white people pretending to be buddhists

could we call them wuddhists

but really guys taoism is where it's at
fuc tha and trapstars / nerds fam money ova hoes
baby compton cali usa rs krew shout out you know who you are
Pertti Susilainen
Head Priest

mr. sukkit

Reply 20 of 31 (Originally posted on: 05-19-06 02:10:25 PM)

I'm deeply offended by the implications of what kayte said.
ExtraKryspi
I WHINE ABOUT ASININE SHIT
i like your style kryspi

Ballkicks: (+117 / -63)
Reg. Date: Nov 2002
Reply 21 of 31 (Originally posted on: 05-19-06 03:01:19 PM)

who here cares?
e io etterna duro
Tiger

One Big Happy

Ballkicks: (+34 / -10)
Reg. Date: Mar 2006
Reply 22 of 31 (Originally posted on: 05-23-06 05:58:08 AM)

Everyone seems to have this idea that Buddhism is a coolies, fun loving, easy going religion, when in fact its rather sexist and nihilistic if done badly. Like a drug, yeah. Well drugs aren't sexist but I more meant the whole "done badly" thing.

Anyway, never mind, my cousin had cystic fibrosis and became a Buddhist monk, I'd think he did it well. He used to build all the time on a farm we own, building a mudbrick house, and when his health got too poor, he meditated for hours a day. The day before he died (age 29) he told my mother he'd reached nirvana.
Sixten Sparre
pater la bourgeoisie

wears neckerchiefs

Ballkicks: (+1184 / -307)
Reg. Date: Sep 2002
Reply 23 of 31 (Originally posted on: 05-23-06 06:29:01 AM)

Quoted from Tiger:

Anyway, never mind, my cousin had cystic fibrosis and became a Buddhist monk, I'd think he did it well. He used to build all the time on a farm we own, building a mudbrick house, and when his health got too poor, he meditated for hours a day. The day before he died (age 29) he told my mother he'd reached nirvana.

Seems to me he became a monk for the same reasons someone praises god on their deathbed, a desire for the afterlife.
And isn't buddhism built around the removal of desire?
So, he turned to buddhism because of a desire....

When infact the right reason to turn to buddhism would be no other desire than to get rid of all desires, which also contradicts itself, i guess this is an emo emoticon, get it??? EMO-TICON!!!
Tough, Unique, Bad, Bodacious, and Sassy.
D
Administrator

i didn't have the strength to get it all the way off

Ballkicks: (+1950 / -91)
Reply 24 of 31 (Originally posted on: 05-23-06 10:54:40 AM)

It wouldn't really be a contradiction, I suppose. Because when you want to become a Buddhist, you're not yet a Buddhist, so you're allowed to have that desire. Then you become one and then you start trying to get rid of all your desires.

With that said, I know absolutely nothing about Buddhism.
"They could have grown up to become Hitler....collectively." - Ztolk's creepy Flash man
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 2 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 3389 | Total Posts: 31 ]