Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Site Comments > Archives > Archived Forums > Linux Corner: computers for something other than windows? WHAT > Mac vs. PC > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest.
Page: [ 1 2 ] [ Thread Views: 2796 | Total Posts: 35 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Subscribe To Thread
Which do you have?
This poll has expired.
Mac 2 votes, 10.526%
PC 17 votes, 89.474%
Other??? 0 votes, 0%
Totals: 19 votes, 103.058%
Modify Poll
Hoff
Lightnin' Hopkins

Helping a brother out.

Ballkicks: (+192 / -38)
Reg. Date: Jan 2006
(Originally posted on: 05-13-06 07:42:08 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

I'm just curious. Some people claim that MACs are amazing while others prefer a PC. I have alwaysed used a PC. I'm pretty decent with the computer, but no genious. What are the actual differences between a MAC and a PC. Why would someone buy a pc over a mac and a mac over a pc? Which do you prefer?
Scarlet
Woah

Skank

Ballkicks: (+82 / -89)
Reg. Date: Apr 2005
Reply 1 of 35 (Originally posted on: 05-14-06 02:29:36 AM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

Right Clicking?
- Scarlet.
Alloy
Grammar Whores Unite

Androgynous Mystic Wizard

Ballkicks: (+95 / -20)
Reply 2 of 35 (Originally posted on: 05-14-06 03:51:43 AM)

PC. Macs annoy me and the lack of a second button and a wheel are very inconvinient.

Plus, I'm a gamer and most games are made for PCs.
Pertti Susilainen
Head Priest

mr. sukkit

Ballkicks: (+924 / -57)
Reg. Date: Dec 2002
Reply 3 of 35 (Originally posted on: 05-14-06 10:25:15 AM)

PCs are fine for what I do - gaming, mostly.

Personally I'm very amused by Mac fundies.
"Hwt, he on a tid e he inne bi, ne bi hrinen mid y storme s wintres; ac t bi an eagan bryhtm and t lste fc, ac he sona of wintre on one winter eft cyme hwt r foregange, oe hwt r fylige, we ne cunnen."
"Lo, he, in the time that he is inside, is not touched by the storm of the winter, but that is an eye's winking and the least time, but he straightway comes back from winter into winter, what thereto may precede or what to it may follow, we do not know."
mmac
INTL Premium Member
it's INTL, not the fucking UN - Amphy

3ms will rise again

Ballkicks: (+254 / -35)
Reg. Date: Feb 2005
Reply 4 of 35 (Originally posted on: 05-15-06 01:22:54 AM)

Macs, because I have enough common sense to connect a 5 button mouse to my mac. The operating system runs smoother and more stable, there is better freeware development, there are hardly any viruses.

PCs, at least they're faster for gaming.
This signature is only a temporary replacement for something that is actually funny.

nevermind, this is permanent
goatsnacks
Administrators

"When I decide to brush (maybe once a week)" -Snook, INTL's #1 Scrub

Ballkicks: (+512 / -167)
Reg. Date: Feb 2004
Reply 5 of 35 (Originally posted on: 05-15-06 06:53:54 AM)

New macs ship standard with the mighty mouse, scarlet.

Where's the both option?

I love my widescreen E-Machines Lappy. It was a first of a kind and serves me well even to this day (I've had it since mid '03).

I also love my mini. Its great for the little videos I do. It also preforms like a beast.
My little website i'm a serial-killer :)
Science Brad
INTL Premium Member
sigh

Logic is the beginning of wisdom, not the end.

Ballkicks: (+288 / -77)
Reg. Date: Jul 2002
Reply 6 of 35 (Originally posted on: 05-15-06 10:30:03 PM)

PC. I haven't had any problems with XP crashing ever, except when it turned out my harddrive was defective and caused everything to stop working, but that is hardly XP's fault. Whereas every time I have used a Mac it has just crashed and given me that damned bomb. If it can't handle opening a spreadsheet and a web-browser at the same time, I don't want it.

Oh, and I play lots of computer games, which is my main reason, plus I've found PC's to generally be faster for what I use them for.
"Poets say science takes away from the beauty of the stars mere globs of gas atoms. Nothing is 'mere'. I too can see the stars on a desert night, and feel them. But do I see less or more? The vastness of the heavens stretches my imagination stuck on this carousel my little eye can catch one-million-year-old light. A vast pattern of which I am a part... What is the pattern or the meaning or the why? It does not do harm to the mystery to know a little more about it. For far more marvelous is the truth than any artists of the past imagined it. Why do the poets of the present not speak of it? What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent."
"Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool."
"You can know the name of a bird in all the languages of the world, but when you're finished, you'll know absolutely nothing whatever about the bird... So let's look at the bird and see what it's doing that's what counts. I learned very early the difference between knowing the name of something and knowing something."
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled."
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt."
All by R. Feynman.
uselessinformation
I wasted my fucking time earning this title

cutesy gonzo journalism reference

Ballkicks: (+368 / -31)
Reg. Date: Apr 2002
Reply 7 of 35 (Originally posted on: 05-16-06 09:19:03 AM)

PC, by default. I've never really been exposed to Macs.
He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man.
- Dr. Johnson

MikeRomard.com
C
Administrator

Level 90 Ginger

Ballkicks: (+723 / -204)
Reg. Date: Jun 2002
Reply 8 of 35 (Originally posted on: 05-16-06 03:11:41 PM)

PC because I was always too lazy to learn all the tricks for Mac.

Also, the one time I was forced to work on an iMac I nearly went on a shooting spree MAGUSMAGUSMAGUSMAGUS
Realize that falling in love with someone is just the results of a series of generic events that can occur between you and basically anyone who meets your standards of attractiveness. It's just an emotional manifestation of a handfull of chemicals bouncing back and forth. It's not the holy grail of living, it's not your reason to exist and it's definitely not something reserved for "that one person". Accept that you are just an animal with a big brain that allows him to fret over what only amounts to a game of hormone pool. What you're feeling is not your soul dying a gurgling, ugly death, but withdrawal. All the happy chemicals that saturated your body when you were with her are kicking out cold turkey, and your body is screaming bloody murder, where are my fucking endorphins? It's just chocolate. Find a new bar.
goatsnacks
Administrators

Reply 9 of 35 (Originally posted on: 05-16-06 03:44:01 PM)

Quoted from TRC:
Also, the one time I was forced to work on an iMac I nearly went on a shooting spree MAGUSMAGUSMAGUSMAGUS

It's weird how when you get something new you're so excited about it that you seem to let slide the things that would usually frustrate you to high heaven. Maybe thats what happen when I brought the mini home, I was so in to this new toy that I completely forgot about how different it was.

I can only imagine how frustrating it could be if you never touched one and then had to for a school paper or the like.

On another note, what about Linux? What do that OS even look and preform like?
C
Administrator

Level 90 Ginger

Ballkicks: (+723 / -204)
Reg. Date: Jun 2002
Reply 10 of 35 (Originally posted on: 05-16-06 03:48:44 PM)

Linux varies by distro, some of them feel very mac-like to me and others feel like windows. You really just have to check different distros out.

Also, I didn't have to use it for a paper, I had to use it for work for a month doing menial tasks that would've taken me half the time on a PC, but the people running the marketing department at that company were idiots.
Realize that falling in love with someone is just the results of a series of generic events that can occur between you and basically anyone who meets your standards of attractiveness. It's just an emotional manifestation of a handfull of chemicals bouncing back and forth. It's not the holy grail of living, it's not your reason to exist and it's definitely not something reserved for "that one person". Accept that you are just an animal with a big brain that allows him to fret over what only amounts to a game of hormone pool. What you're feeling is not your soul dying a gurgling, ugly death, but withdrawal. All the happy chemicals that saturated your body when you were with her are kicking out cold turkey, and your body is screaming bloody murder, where are my fucking endorphins? It's just chocolate. Find a new bar.
Shadowe

I kinda want to see that up someone's ass

Ballkicks: (+90 / -84)
Reg. Date: Dec 2004
Reply 11 of 35 (Originally posted on: 05-16-06 08:05:37 PM)

Quoted from Aaron:

On another note, what about Linux? What do that OS even look and preform like?

The distro of linux chooses basically what stuff it comes with and a few other things, thats mostly under-the-hood and command prompt stuff. What really influences how the OS looks and feels is whether you're using gnome or KDE.

Gnome is like windows with the taskbar on top of the screen and 4 virtual desktops on another at the bottom.

KDE is best described as a bastard child of OSX and XP.
"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence." -Albert Einstein
uselessinformation
I wasted my fucking time earning this title

cutesy gonzo journalism reference

Ballkicks: (+368 / -31)
Reply 12 of 35 (Originally posted on: 05-18-06 12:24:24 PM)

Quoted from Aaron:
On another note, what about Linux?

I'm using ubuntu linux, and I think it's just fine for what I need. But I don't really do any gaming, programming, graphic design, etc. so just about anything would be fine for me. I like the philosophy behind open source software, hence my choice.
He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man.
- Dr. Johnson

MikeRomard.com
ba
INTL Premium Member
Captain of the Cool Kids

and i said, a\re you a gay ass fucker who can't take a baseball up the ass you faggot???? and he said yes........

Ballkicks: (+456 / -62)
Reg. Date: Apr 2003
Reply 13 of 35 (Originally posted on: 05-18-06 03:49:28 PM)

I like Macs for their stability and convenience, and PCs because of their games.
~British[/whisper] Agent
[whisper].___.
{O,o} O RLY?
/)__)
-"-"-
Links: Penny Arcade, YTMND, Something Awful.
Hoff
Lightnin' Hopkins

Helping a brother out.

Ballkicks: (+192 / -38)
Reply 14 of 35 (Originally posted on: 05-18-06 06:42:54 PM)

How are macs more stable and convenient?
Shadowe

Reply 15 of 35 (Originally posted on: 05-18-06 07:24:16 PM)

Quoted from Hoff:

Cant crash if it wont turn on. Besides, when you have only 1 mouse button how much harm can you do?
"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence." -Albert Einstein
goatsnacks
Administrators

Reply 16 of 35 (Originally posted on: 05-18-06 11:24:41 PM)

Quoted from Shadowe:
Cant crash if it wont turn on. Besides, when you have only 1 mouse button how much harm can you do?
You're an ignorant retard.

Quoted from Hoff:
I'm not really sure about the whole 'convenient' issue but if I remember correctly mac's are structured to never allow a crash. From my own personal experience, I've never crashed a mac. I've crashed a pc multiple times. I can't even count how many. The mac can get slow at times, but thats because I only have 512ram.
Shadowe

Reply 17 of 35 (Originally posted on: 05-20-06 12:32:30 AM)

Quoted from Aaron:
You're an ignorant retard.

You're a sentient knee-jerk response apparently incapable of understanding sarcasm. While the latter is simply a personal failing of yours, the former seems to be a near universal trait of INTL forumgoers. I never knew there were so many members of the First Church of Elitism.
goatsnacks
Administrators

Reply 18 of 35 (Originally posted on: 05-20-06 06:21:00 AM)

Your impartmet of irony was very, very subtle. Ergo, you're not funny. Not even slightly. Well, maybe if a fishing hook carelessly jerked in ones penis while vacationing to a lake on a boat was considered 'funny'.

To recap: I wasn't being elitist. Seriously I've seen gangsta's with iPods. If you honestly think knowing that a Mac has a regular mouse design is 'elitist' or that me pointing out your lack of successful sarcasm was down right 'predictable' then please, oh mighty shadow of the e, let me try again.

Quoted from Shadowe:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HILARIOUS GOD OF SARCASM HAHAHAHAHAHHAA!!!!!

I hope we can avoid any confrontation in the future you unfunny nerd. kekeke u give soj???

This reply was last edited on 05-20-06 11:52:29 AM by goatsnacks.
Shadowe

Reply 19 of 35 (Originally posted on: 05-20-06 06:31:28 PM)

Doubtful. As long as you want so badly to have a fight you'll find some excuse to start one.
antpocas
"Sex is not dating."
"If it were, Santana and I would be dating.

GLEEK

Ballkicks: (+414 / -233)
Reg. Date: May 2002
Reply 20 of 35 (Originally posted on: 05-21-06 04:46:02 AM)

you're both faggots now discuss the technical aspects of mac vs pc or get out
drudo182

Ballkicks: (+2 / -1)
Reg. Date: Jun 2006
Reply 21 of 35 (Originally posted on: 06-05-06 04:16:51 PM)

I have a Powerbook.

Apple.

Enough said.
This reply was last edited on 06-05-06 04:27:28 PM by drudo182.
TheShadowDawn
Cautiously optimistic

Draggy

Ballkicks: (+82 / -11)
Reply 22 of 35 (Originally posted on: 06-05-06 11:18:12 PM)

Many games cannot be played on a Mac. Given that games are my primary reason for owning a powerful and expensive computer (as opposed to any piece of crap I could use the web and do word processing on) this means I could not possibly own a Mac.
You live and learn. At any rate, you live.
Science Brad
INTL Premium Member
sigh

Logic is the beginning of wisdom, not the end.

Ballkicks: (+288 / -77)
Reg. Date: Jul 2002
Reply 23 of 35 (Originally posted on: 06-06-06 01:20:34 AM)

This Mac's are structured to never crash bit is stupid. I've crashed plenty of Mac's, and PC's, even game consoles.
"Poets say science takes away from the beauty of the stars mere globs of gas atoms. Nothing is 'mere'. I too can see the stars on a desert night, and feel them. But do I see less or more? The vastness of the heavens stretches my imagination stuck on this carousel my little eye can catch one-million-year-old light. A vast pattern of which I am a part... What is the pattern or the meaning or the why? It does not do harm to the mystery to know a little more about it. For far more marvelous is the truth than any artists of the past imagined it. Why do the poets of the present not speak of it? What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent."
"Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool."
"You can know the name of a bird in all the languages of the world, but when you're finished, you'll know absolutely nothing whatever about the bird... So let's look at the bird and see what it's doing that's what counts. I learned very early the difference between knowing the name of something and knowing something."
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled."
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt."
All by R. Feynman.
IB
Stays True to His Name

I should die

Ballkicks: (+171 / -76)
Reg. Date: May 2002
Reply 24 of 35 (Originally posted on: 06-06-06 05:49:52 PM)

Quoted from antpocas:
you're both faggots now discuss the technical aspects of mac vs pc or get out

see i think the problem is the only non retarded thing that can be said here is "pcs are good for gaming and macs are good for stability", i use x because all i really do is y

everything else is retarded os wars nerd shit
fuc tha and trapstars / nerds fam money ova hoes
baby compton cali usa rs krew shout out you know who you are
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 2 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 2796 | Total Posts: 35 ]