Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Site Comments > Archives > Archived Forums > Linux Corner: computers for something other than windows? WHAT > Rome: Total War > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest.
Page: [ 1 2 ] [ Thread Views: 3279 | Total Posts: 31 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
Menion
INTL Premium Member
Regular

Man-Onions

Ballkicks: (+122 / -35)
Reg. Date: Aug 2003
(Originally posted on: 08-27-04 11:46:00 AM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

Anyone anticipating this one as much as me?

I ordered it as soon as I heard they were developing it, Medieval Total War kicked such huge ass that there's no way the sequal could be bad.

The field map (the empire builder part) is pretty complex, with diplomacy between nations and terrain, not unlike the Civ series. Then when battle breaks out it jumps down to a tactical map that more resembles AoM in it's construction.
In essence it's the two greatest strategy series' combined, and it rocks.

I can elaborate, if anyone wants.
Ok, that's good to know...

<@Logan> I spent a minute looking at my own code by accident.
<@Logan> I was thinking "What the hell is this guy doing?"

<andy> moo spelled backwards is moo
<andy> no wait

Amphytrite
Hard for Drah

I don't really even like hearing about it or reading about it

Ballkicks: (+1869 / -83)
Reg. Date: Apr 2004
Reply 1 of 31 (Originally posted on: 08-27-04 11:56:02 AM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

Quoted from Menion:
I can elaborate, if anyone wants.

Please do. If it's easier for you, you can send me a PM. I've never heard of this but I got excited when I saw the word Rome.
Proud recipient of the Crown of Coronets of the Southern Hemisphere.
barticus
INTL Premium Member

LBH was here.

Ballkicks: (+48 / -16)
Reg. Date: Jan 2004
Reply 2 of 31 (Originally posted on: 08-27-04 12:58:51 PM)

Have you seen the show on the History Channel that uses the game engine to reconstruct actual battles throughout history? I believe it's call "Decisive Battles" or something along those lines. Anyway, I saw the one on Thermopylae and it provided an incredible view point.
Marge: I'm afraid I might be smothering Bart.
Homer: Yeah and then the cops would come and you'd get the chair.
Marge: Homer, that's not what I meant.
Homer: Yes it is Marge, admit it.
Amphytrite
Hard for Drah

Reply 3 of 31 (Originally posted on: 08-27-04 01:49:02 PM)

Quoted from barticus:
Have you seen the show on the History Channel that uses the game engine to reconstruct actual battles throughout history? I believe it's call "Decisive Battles" or something along those lines. Anyway, I saw the one on Thermopylae and it provided an incredible view point.

I saw that episode too. Decisive Battles is an awesome show. The director does an impressive job of covering the entire battlefield, as well as where each leader is during all points of the battle.
Me
I am clothed and male.

To the rescue

Ballkicks: (+62 / -43)
Reg. Date: Nov 2003
Reply 4 of 31 (Originally posted on: 08-27-04 03:46:08 PM)

Rome: Total War will be amazing. It'd be good if all they were doing was changing Medieval: Total War's graphics but they're adding a lot of awesome shit too.
Menion
INTL Premium Member
Regular

Man-Onions

Reply 5 of 31 (Originally posted on: 08-27-04 04:05:47 PM)

Check it out here.

In Rome: Total war, you play as the leader of one of the great military factions during the era just before the Julian family conquers the senate to become the first Roman Emperor.
The game is all about the struggle to become the master of Rome.
You can play (as far as I know) as the:
Carthaginians, The Parthians, Seleucids, Britons (still barbarian), Egyptians, Germanic tribes and others.

The goal of the game is to conquer the world of course, and the main part of the game takes place on the strategy map as an empire builder.
You make/train units, gather some basic resources, construct buildings suchforth and so-on.
However, the map is more like the Civ series in that you control an empire with more than one city across a territory.
The map will be divided into territories, once you conquer a city/region, a certain amount of land comes under your control.
However, the map is more real time in that you can decide to place a fort at a certain area on the map of your choice, not necesarily just an "item in a city".

When a battle takes place, the game stops and loads almost a completely different game, where you are now the commander of your army. You are taken up close and personal to the terrain upon which the battle will takes place, and it has a much more RTS oriented feel to it.
Units of men, usually grouped in 60-100 individual persons, are yours to command. They act and move as a group and you give orders to an entire unit, however, each man is controlled individually by the machine, so guys can get lost, separated from their formations and such.
However, you cannot take control of each man directly, more like real life.

The "units" you control are exactly whatever it is that you built on the strategy map, if you made two units of hoplites, then on the battle map you will have two seperate units of men. (Probably 60 men to a unit)
You give orders to the unit leader, and he gives the commands to the men, and then they do their best to do whatever your orders were.
Guys are killed on a one to one basis, and they also gain experience over time.
So, if you bring a unit onto the feild into a massive battle, and only one man survives the fight, odds are you have a pretty strong guy right there, you may consider making him a commander next time.
That kind of stuff.
SO, it's an empire builder on the strategy map,
an RTS on the battle map,
and an RPG on the character to character basis.
(Yes, it keeps track of the statistics for each individual person in your army)

The coolest part about the total war series is how real they seem, men get scared, they run away, they even get tired.

A unit of 25 heavily armored knights charging down a hill at 150 foot soilders may very well win, becuase the footies are gonna panick when that charge hits.
Noone likes to see the guy next to him explode under the hooves of a horse.

Also, like I said before but didn't elaborate on, any item in the Strategy map placed in or near the area a battle takes place will appear in person on the battle map.
SO, if you build a fort in one particular spot for whatever reason, and a battle takes place there, then you can opt to set up your men in the fort.

Each city that you have built that is besieged will come into the battle map with whatever buildings you constructed right there where you built them, everything from walls to towers to grocery stores.
If it gets torn down in the battle, guess what, it's gone on the big map when you return to that as well.

Another cool bit is that you don't have to micromanage fifteen cities AoM style. In AoM you personally controll the men building stuff and the placement of every building, in the total war series, the cities are represented closer to the Civ style, you just say "Build a wall around this city" and a few "years" (turns) later, one appears.
It only acts on a micromanagment basis during a fight.

Er.. there's a whole lot more but that's the best job I think I can do.
I have Medieval: Total War, Rome's predecesor.
IT ROCKS

Trust me, this is not a game to miss.

A picture gallery.
Strangely, these all seem to be screenies of the battle map, they didn't show the big strategy map here.

A good review.

<andy> no wait

This reply was last edited on 08-27-04 04:15:59 PM by Menion.
Dante

cocks in my mouth

Ballkicks: (+661 / -97)
Reg. Date: May 2004
Reply 6 of 31 (Originally posted on: 08-27-04 09:56:52 PM)

I bought the original Shogun, and this version looks like it will kick total ass.
Creed's Breakup: Ironically reaffirming my faith in God.
Stormraider
User is currently banned until further notice.

im gay

Reply 7 of 31 (Originally posted on: 08-27-04 10:25:26 PM)

The one thing which puts a slight damper on the pure euphoria I have where R:TW is concerned, is that I have to beat civs to play them.

I would much rather have my first experiences as Gauls, Celts, Egyptians, etc, than as Roman factions. Knowing that I'll probably have to play all three Roman factions before I can play everyone else somewhat annoys me.
Stormraider- 73.275% of your daily dose of Cynical Jackass!!
Passionate Apathy: Not just a paradox, but a lifestyle.
Menion
INTL Premium Member
Regular

Man-Onions

Reply 8 of 31 (Originally posted on: 08-27-04 11:20:42 PM)

Quoted from Stormraider:
The one thing which puts a slight damper on the pure euphoria I have where R:TW is concerned, is that I have to beat civs to play them.

I would much rather have my first experiences as Gauls, Celts, Egyptians, etc, than as Roman factions. Knowing that I'll probably have to play all three Roman factions before I can play everyone else somewhat annoys me.

You didn't have to do that in Medieval Total war.
You could just start off as any playable faction you wanted.
There were some however that you couldn't play as, but that was just because it would have been impractical for a human to use them.

I don't see any reason they would set it up this way in Rome, I think you can probably start off as anyone you want.

<andy> no wait

Amphytrite
Hard for Drah

Reply 9 of 31 (Originally posted on: 08-27-04 11:36:31 PM)

Now I really want this game. Just because it looks impressively realistic.
Quoted from Menion:
In Rome: Total war, you play as the leader of one of the great military factions during the era just before the Julian family conquers the senate to become the first Roman Emperor.

Wickedly perplexed. I thought Octavian was named the first Emperor. Though he was part of the Julian pool, I guess. Hmm. Must look further into that.
Stormraider

im gay

Reply 10 of 31 (Originally posted on: 08-28-04 08:08:46 AM)

Menion: Trust me. I, along with a cadre of SPSW members as excited as I am, have siphoned every single bit of information about R:TW possible from every reputable source.

At least 3 different Gamespot previews mention "unlocking" factions by defeating them.
NNY
Alcoholics Anonymous
Forum Drunkard

Staying in alone, with my cat.

Ballkicks: (+666 / -76)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
Reply 11 of 31 (Originally posted on: 08-28-04 09:53:38 AM)

i dont like unlocking things, but there will probably be a way around it soon enough. either way, ive been eyeing the series without actually getting on board, which i really ought to do. this looks like it could be a good game.

its just like the opening video for AoE:
http://www.totalwar.com/community/images/br4.jpg
http://www.totalwar.com/community/images/br6.jpg
http://www.totalwar.com/community/images/br7.jpg
I hate yankees and this is one reason why. Just because you can't pay for 3 hot dogs doesn't mean that the economy is bad and ya'll think that bush is an idiot because he's from Texas. Well f you because he saved your ass from people like Sadam Houssein and don't go thinking i'm just a minupulated trailor trash illiterate for taking up for him because I'm smarter than 90% of the world.

"There's not a lot of cursing, swearing, personal cuts, there's not a lot of put downs, it's not you know screen-fulls of you know "go to hell", it's just surprising."

--- John Allen about "Internet"
Stormraider

im gay

Reply 12 of 31 (Originally posted on: 08-28-04 11:21:38 AM)

My two favourite things I've seen thus far from the demo are a) How each unit, at least the Roman ones, has a general and flag-bearer who march beside or in the army and are seperately animated units, and b) How elephants trample and throw men hundreds of feet--and how said men may survive depending on how badly they're hit.

That casualties no longer necessarily mean deaths anymore is also excellent. I enjoy seeing men recover and fight again.
NNY
Alcoholics Anonymous
Forum Drunkard

Reply 13 of 31 (Originally posted on: 08-28-04 11:48:35 AM)

how do casualties != deaths?
I hate yankees and this is one reason why. Just because you can't pay for 3 hot dogs doesn't mean that the economy is bad and ya'll think that bush is an idiot because he's from Texas. Well f you because he saved your ass from people like Sadam Houssein and don't go thinking i'm just a minupulated trailor trash illiterate for taking up for him because I'm smarter than 90% of the world.

"There's not a lot of cursing, swearing, personal cuts, there's not a lot of put downs, it's not you know screen-fulls of you know "go to hell", it's just surprising."

Stormraider

im gay

Reply 14 of 31 (Originally posted on: 08-28-04 11:51:50 AM)

Because, like in real war, 90% of those who become casualties are simply wounded. This wasn't shown in Medieval, but in Rome, it is.

Now, I'm not sure HOW it's going to work, exactly, however it's either that a) Men have a chance of getting back up when they're "killed", meaning they were merely wounded, or b)else of casualties taken, a certain percentile will be "healed" once the battle is over, and be ready for battle next turn.

At the end of Trebia, it shows "Casualties Recieved" and "Casualties Healed" as columns with the others. This either means A or B. Either way, it's a good idea, although I'm not sure which I'd prefer it to be. Probably the latter.
Fisher
INTL Premium Member
jhsdfi;loiha

Fishdick

Ballkicks: (+439 / -139)
Reg. Date: Jun 2002
Reply 15 of 31 (Originally posted on: 08-28-04 11:54:21 AM)

The demo was pretty sweet. Epic.

And I was a huge fan of Medieval. Looking forward to this.
NNY
Alcoholics Anonymous
Forum Drunkard

Reply 16 of 31 (Originally posted on: 08-28-04 04:25:46 PM)

Quoted from Stormraider:
Because, like in real war, 90% of those who become casualties are simply wounded. This wasn't shown in Medieval, but in Rome, it is.

Now, I'm not sure HOW it's going to work, exactly, however it's either that a) Men have a chance of getting back up when they're "killed", meaning they were merely wounded, or b)else of casualties taken, a certain percentile will be "healed" once the battle is over, and be ready for battle next turn.

At the end of Trebia, it shows "Casualties Recieved" and "Casualties Healed" as columns with the others. This either means A or B. Either way, it's a good idea, although I'm not sure which I'd prefer it to be. Probably the latter.

wow. thats awsome. whoever thought of putting that in deserves a gold star.

Menion
INTL Premium Member
Regular

Man-Onions

Reply 17 of 31 (Originally posted on: 08-28-04 07:38:23 PM)

As stoked as I am about this, I can't find a good spot to get the demo as all the servers are too busy or there's too much red tape.

Anyone have a good link to the demo?

<andy> no wait

antpocas
"Sex is not dating."
"If it were, Santana and I would be dating.

GLEEK

Ballkicks: (+414 / -233)
Reg. Date: May 2002
Reply 18 of 31 (Originally posted on: 08-31-04 01:47:57 PM)

I played the demo and it was awesome.
Magus

Benze and I should have a sad-off

Ballkicks: (+77 / -47)
Reply 19 of 31 (Originally posted on: 08-31-04 02:52:22 PM)

I've been drooling all over R:TW since it was announced, and I'm downloading the demo right now.

The hard to swallow part, though, was that you have to unlock factions by defeating them; I wanted to start out as the Parthians, Carthaginians, or Seleucids.
- On Hiatus -
Menion
INTL Premium Member
Regular

Man-Onions

Reply 20 of 31 (Originally posted on: 09-23-04 06:42:29 PM)

To top an old thread, I just got the game today, it won't run.

I'm seriously pissed.
My sound card won't work right with it because it's a pos and none of the still images are showing up in the game.

wtf, the demo worked fine.

I hate computers.

This is the New York Times quoting a federal payroll:
Associate Assistant Secretary
Assistant Assistant Secretary
Deputy Assisstant Assistant Secretary
Associate Deputy Assistant Secretary
Chief of Staff to Associate Assistant Secretary
Chief of Staff to the Assistant Assistant Secretary
Principal Deputy to the Deputy Assistant Secretary
Principle Assistant Deputy Undersecretary
Associate Principle Deputy Assistant Secretary
Stormraider

im gay

Reply 21 of 31 (Originally posted on: 09-24-04 11:03:12 PM)

What are you running?
Burnt_Corn

LBH was here.

Ballkicks: (+48 / -41)
Reg. Date: Jul 2002
Reply 22 of 31 (Originally posted on: 09-28-04 01:01:07 PM)

gauls are easy to beat stormraider, they were the first faction I unlocked, then carthiage.
I Object to Pirates as Son-in-Laws!
We Object to Major Generals as fathers-in-laws.
IF0
Administrator

Hey, I was with Mary Magdalene last night....smell my finger lol

Ballkicks: (+621 / -173)
Reg. Date: Jul 2003
Reply 23 of 31 (Originally posted on: 10-01-04 11:37:15 PM)

Same with me. Gauls, then Germania, then Spain. Working on the Britons now. I love this game.
Arnold Schwarzenegger: And to those critics who are so pessimistic about our economy, I say: Don't be economic girlie-men.
Stormraider

im gay

Reply 24 of 31 (Originally posted on: 10-02-04 12:37:21 PM)

I require comp specs and performance, folks!
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 2 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 3279 | Total Posts: 31 ]