Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Discussion Forums > The "Song A Day" Thread Forum > Unshare your files. > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest. Moderated by: D drahnier
Page: [ 1 2 ] [ Thread Views: 2720 | Total Posts: 40 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
C
Administrator

Level 90 Ginger

Ballkicks: (+723 / -204)
Reg. Date: Jun 2002
(Originally posted on: 06-26-03 09:20:41 AM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

Quoted from CNN.com:
WASHINGTON (AP) -- The embattled music industry has threatened to sue hundreds of individual computer users who illegally share music files online.

The Recording Industry Association of America, citing substantial sales declines, said it will begin Thursday to search Internet file-sharing networks to identify users who offer "substantial" collections of mp3 music files for downloading.

It expects to file at least several hundred lawsuits seeking financial damages within eight to 10 weeks as it tries to put an end to music piracy.

Executives for the RIAA, the Washington-based lobbying group that represents major labels, would not say how many songs on a user's computer will qualify for a lawsuit. The new campaign comes just weeks after U.S. appeals court rulings requiring Internet providers to identify subscribers suspected of illegally sharing music and movie files.
Facing the music

The RIAA's president, Carey Sherman, said tens of millions of Internet users of popular file-sharing software after Thursday will expose themselves to "the real risk of having to face the music."

"It's stealing. It's both wrong and illegal," Sherman said. Alluding to the court decisions, Sherman said Internet users who believe they can hide behind an alias online were mistaken. "You are not anonymous," Sherman said. "We're going to begin taking names."

Critics accused the RIAA of resorting to heavy-handed tactics likely to alienate millions of Internet file-sharers.

"This latest effort really indicates the recording industry has lost touch with reality completely," said Fred von Lohmann, a lawyer for the Electronic Frontier Foundation. "Does anyone think more lawsuits are going to be the answer? Today they have declared war on the American consumer."
Public resistance?

Sherman disputed that consumers, who are gradually turning to legitimate Web sites to buy music legally, will object to the industry's latest efforts against pirates.

"You have to look at exactly who are your customers," he said. "You could say the same thing about shoplifters -- are you worried about alienating them? All sorts of industries and retailers have come to the conclusion that they need to be able to protect their rights. We have come to the same conclusion."

Mike Godwin of Public Knowledge, a consumer group that has challenged broad crackdowns on file-sharing networks, said Wednesday's announcement was appropriate because it targeted users illegally sharing copyrighted files.

"I'm sure it's going to freak them out," Godwin said. "The free ride is over." He added: "I wouldn't be surprised if at least some people engaged in file-trading decide to resist and try to find ways to thwart the litigation strategy."

The RIAA said its lawyers will file lawsuits initially against people with the largest collections of music files they can find online. U.S. copyright laws allow for damages of $750 to $150,000 for each song offered illegally on a person's computer, but Sherman said the RIAA will be open to settlement proposals from defendants.

"We have no hard and fast rule on how many files you have to be distributing ... to come within our radar screen," Sherman said.

The RIAA said it expected to file "at least several hundred lawsuits" within eight to 10 weeks but will continue to file lawsuits afterward on a regular basis.

Source.
flaming arrow
INTL Premium Member

old time judge suck cock

Ballkicks: (+1266 / -281)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
Reply 1 of 40 (Originally posted on: 06-26-03 09:23:40 AM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

This is why when I download songs they go straight to the "My Music" folder and don't stay in Kazaa's shared folder.
"What are your opinions on Flaming Arrow?"
Salamando: you are handsome as fuck
bycycle man: Mostly good, gets pretty cocky though
SmarterChild: Check it out. For \$9.99 a year, you can chat with me all you want. But I'm running out of patience with this...
BaggyBrad8: I'M IN FLAMING ARROWS SIG HAHAHAH
Zippo279: More fun than a barrel of knife-wielding monkeys.
Amon Amuff: what a has-been.
FlamingArrow55: a/s/l?
Baggy_Brad
FIGJAM

Cool.

Ballkicks: (+1431 / -135)
Reply 2 of 40 (Originally posted on: 06-26-03 09:25:30 AM)

This is why I live in Australia. Besides, I don't share files anyway. Goodluck to them, they'll probably end up wasting more money on the hunt then they would just letting people steal music... well maybe not, but I'd say you'd have to be sharing a good basketload of MP3s to draw interest.

And also, why didn't they announce this crap AFTER they do the bust, fools.
When you do shit like that, why don't you just tell me how you want to see me react? I don't have time for these games.
The world would be a better place if everyone was more like I imagine myself to be.
C
Administrator

Level 90 Ginger

Ballkicks: (+723 / -204)
Reg. Date: Jun 2002
Reply 3 of 40 (Originally posted on: 06-26-03 09:28:10 AM)

I have my stuff moved to a different folder that I was sharing, now all I'm sharing are some programs
TheShadowDawn
Cautiously optimistic

Draggy

Ballkicks: (+82 / -11)
Reg. Date: Apr 2002
Reply 4 of 40 (Originally posted on: 06-26-03 09:41:06 AM)

Oooh, I'm scared. The RIAA is really going to waste their time and money hunting down all of those near penniless geeks with jobs at burger king or equivalent out there.

Oh wait, and I live in Australia too.

But anyway, I don't share my files since our fucking ISP decided to impose 3 gig monthly usage caps. (Up and down. Not just down.) I like to use up all my transfer limit myself, thankyou.
Everything is funny as long as it’s happening to someone else.
ba
INTL Premium Member
Captain of the Cool Kids

and i said, a\re you a gay ass fucker who can't take a baseball up the ass you faggot???? and he said yes........

Ballkicks: (+456 / -62)
Reg. Date: Apr 2003
Reply 5 of 40 (Originally posted on: 06-26-03 10:29:02 AM)

Quoted from Kazaa:
3,946,392 users online

That's alot of lawsuits...
They're most likely full of shit anyway, but just in case.
*unshares files*
~British Agent
"BA is always trying to help people. The problem is, they almost never understand his unique brand of help, so they usually end up yelling... or screaming... or burning."
-<Blue Blood>-
mirthalac
INTL Alumni
stan "the single pringle" templeton

Prettiest Red Beard this side of the Canadian Border

Ballkicks: (+301 / -42)
Reg. Date: Sep 2002
Reply 6 of 40 (Originally posted on: 06-26-03 10:37:18 AM)

comedy "they can't monitor FTP" option.
Bobby Crosby's
Home of mid-paced viking metal
OLD SKOOL 4 LIFE KREW
blacksun

dooooooooood I'm like soooooo high

Ballkicks: (+74 / -90)
Reg. Date: Dec 2002
Reply 7 of 40 (Originally posted on: 06-26-03 11:02:41 AM)

*continues to share files*
antpocas
"Sex is not dating."
"If it were, Santana and I would be dating.

GLEEK

Ballkicks: (+414 / -233)
Reg. Date: May 2002
Reply 8 of 40 (Originally posted on: 06-26-03 11:03:23 AM)

Unshareing files is gay MAGUSMAGUSMAGUSMAGUS If everyone did that, your MP3 collection wouldn't be as big. Let them come and get me, anyway. I'm in Portugal and underage.
$2
Yogi
INTL Premium Member
The Hero of Canton

check out my color filters

Ballkicks: (+129 / -58)
Reg. Date: Mar 2003
Reply 9 of 40 (Originally posted on: 06-26-03 11:47:31 AM)

I feel so sorry for those major record companies who are always being taken advantage of by artists and consumers. Yay for the record industry, and it's agressive crusade against poor high-school students and fun.

Quoted from Baggy_Brad:
And also, why didn't they announce this crap AFTER they do the bust, fools.

Cause the whole point of this is to scare everybody to unshare their files.

Unshare children and thy shall be saved!
abused
i done told you once bitch

Looks and acts like a douche-bag

Ballkicks: (+820 / -208)
Reply 10 of 40 (Originally posted on: 06-26-03 12:05:22 PM)

Quoted from blacksun:
*continues to share files*
Mr Excitable
INTL Premium Member
My girlfriend is the Michelin Man

Ballkicks: (+514 / -60)
Reg. Date: Jan 2003
Reply 11 of 40 (Originally posted on: 06-26-03 02:40:40 PM)

Its an empty threat...the more they fight it, the more people sgare. Maybe if CD'S didnt cost so much, then just manybe everyone would buy more cd's.
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. ~ Albert Einstein
ba
INTL Premium Member
Captain of the Cool Kids

and i said, a\re you a gay ass fucker who can't take a baseball up the ass you faggot???? and he said yes........

Reply 12 of 40 (Originally posted on: 06-26-03 03:13:46 PM)

*reshares*

My kazaa-lite seems to reshare everything upon logging on anyway.
~British Agent
"BA is always trying to help people. The problem is, they almost never understand his unique brand of help, so they usually end up yelling... or screaming... or burning."
-<Blue Blood>-

This reply was last edited on 06-26-03 04:12:45 PM by ba.
wheezy
The Reel RS Krew
Lord Handsome

The next time you wanna call a coon a nigger, call that spearchucker a jungle bunny instead. I know, I know... nigger rolls off the tongue so easy, but there is a world of rarely used racial slurs that we need to start utilizing. White power!

Ballkicks: (+527 / -190)
Reg. Date: Dec 2001
Reply 13 of 40 (Originally posted on: 06-26-03 03:21:17 PM)

I don't share because I'm selfish. HA! I just steal, steal steal, and never give back to the community.
U CANT TRICK THE TRICKSTER

Moderator of the Proud Inside Discussions Forum.
www.uselessstatic.com
Pertti Susilainen
Head Priest

mr. sukkit

Ballkicks: (+924 / -57)
Reply 14 of 40 (Originally posted on: 06-26-03 03:46:34 PM)

I couldn't care less about this kind of laws or whatever it is.
A wealth of respect
A world of regard
You've always belonged
You have to go on
I just want you to feel the
gun in your hand
The Phoenix

Ballkicks: (+46 / -17)
Reply 15 of 40 (Originally posted on: 06-26-03 03:49:38 PM)

Problem with not sharing is that less people download from you->User rating goes down->you get lower priority to download stuff.
Things are not what they used to be; Missing one inside of me
Deathly lost, this can't be real; Cannot stand this hell I feel
Emptiness is filing me; To the point of agony
Growing darkness taking dawn; I was me, but now He's gone...
ba
INTL Premium Member
Captain of the Cool Kids

Reply 16 of 40 (Originally posted on: 06-26-03 03:52:39 PM)

Right now there are 4,000,000+ users on. That's almost 1,000,000 more on than the last time I checked, so the RIA's announcement doesn't seem to be turning many heads.

On a side note: RIA is combatting us 'evil pirates' with something new. They're switching back from Digital CD's to Analog CD's. This way you can only listen to music on the older junky CD players. This move will almost completely destroy the Mp3 industry since you woun't be able to play CDs on Mp3 players or even Mp3 CD players or on computers.

Fuckers.

~British Agent
-<Blue Blood>-

This reply was last edited on 06-26-03 04:00:57 PM by ba.
Jota

Just plain sucking in 87.54% of posts

Ballkicks: (+108 / -202)
Reg. Date: May 2003
Reply 17 of 40 (Originally posted on: 06-26-03 04:04:57 PM)

Quoted from The Phoenix:
Problem with not sharing is that less people download from you->User rating goes down->you get lower priority to download stuff.

Not if you aren't a stupid fuck and use Kazaa lite.
My Karma Ran Over My Dogma
Pertti Susilainen
Head Priest

mr. sukkit

Ballkicks: (+924 / -57)
Reply 18 of 40 (Originally posted on: 06-26-03 04:05:07 PM)

The music industry should realize that, from a cultural point of view, file sharing is great for bands. How many bands have you come to like because you downloaded something by then? Bands that you would probably never known.

Of course, there's the part about the bands working for a money they need to eat and to keep playing. But I prefer to ignore this bit.
A wealth of respect
A world of regard
You've always belonged
You have to go on
I just want you to feel the
gun in your hand
The Phoenix

Ballkicks: (+46 / -17)
Reply 19 of 40 (Originally posted on: 06-26-03 04:07:48 PM)

Quote:
Not if you aren't a stupid fuck and use Kazaa lite.

I do use Kazaa lite, genius.
Things are not what they used to be; Missing one inside of me
Deathly lost, this can't be real; Cannot stand this hell I feel
Emptiness is filing me; To the point of agony
Growing darkness taking dawn; I was me, but now He's gone...
ba
INTL Premium Member
Captain of the Cool Kids

Reply 20 of 40 (Originally posted on: 06-26-03 04:13:41 PM)

Then not sharing your files doesn't affect your rating at all.
~British Agent
-<Blue Blood>-
flaming arrow
INTL Premium Member

old time judge suck cock

Ballkicks: (+1266 / -281)
Reply 21 of 40 (Originally posted on: 06-26-03 05:03:40 PM)

And, guys, they're only going to be going after the people who have a T1 and share a thousand mp3s.

Not Joe Blow Idaho who has six Metallica songs.
"What are your opinions on Sandamnit?"
Zippo279: I want to make INTL babies with him.
Calagorm: Ive never realy spoken with him, but he seems to overreact quite a bit. i think intl for him is kindof a power trip sometimes.
SmarterChild: Won't you please make a donation to the robot survival fund? :-/ All I'm asking for is \$9.99, and you get to be my friend for a whole year! :-)
mirthalac: h
Ishmaelkun: i dont think he likes me
BaggyBrad8: IM IN FLAMING ARROWS SIG! ITS STILL FUNNY THE SECOND TIME! HAHAHA
FlamingArrow55: He's a huge prick.
blacksun

dooooooooood I'm like soooooo high

Ballkicks: (+74 / -90)
Reply 22 of 40 (Originally posted on: 06-26-03 05:06:11 PM)

Quoted from Flaming Arrow:
And, guys, they're only going to be going after the people who have a T1 and share a thousand mp3s.

Not Joe Blow Idaho who has six Metallica songs.

UH-OH! I have cable and share about 900, I hope they don't fuck me up. MAGUSMAGUSMAGUSMAGUS
Captain James T. Kirk
Sweaty men? Yes please!

ˇSpanish!

Ballkicks: (+184 / -62)
Reg. Date: Mar 2003
Reply 23 of 40 (Originally posted on: 06-26-03 05:32:30 PM)

I don't share mine anyway, since I am on such a slow connection. If anyone tried it, it would go at an incredibly slow rate and slow down the things that I am downloading.
hey dude i told ur girlfriend u hav an addiction 2 crystal meth so if she asks say u do. i even told her u tried 2 get me 2 do it once!!!its funny as hell man, play along

peace
Alyantis
FEMALE

Ballkicks: (+89 / -25)
Reg. Date: Apr 2002
Reply 24 of 40 (Originally posted on: 06-26-03 05:34:01 PM)

Quote:
On a side note: RIA is combatting us 'evil pirates' with something new. They're switching back from Digital CD's to Analog CD's. This way you can only listen to music on the older junky CD players. This move will almost completely destroy the Mp3 industry since you woun't be able to play CDs on Mp3 players or even Mp3 CD players or on computers.

Huh? Analog CD's? I don't think they can control that.
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 2 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 2720 | Total Posts: 40 ]