Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Site Comments > Comments, Suggestions & Announcements > Features That Will Cost Money > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest. Moderated by: Ztolk
Page: [ 1 2 3 ] [ Thread Views: 6590 | Total Posts: 72 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
Air Bud
Internet Superstar

Some plants even masturbate into their own vaginas in order to reproduce.

Ballkicks: (+918 / -56)
Reg. Date: Sep 2001
(Originally posted on: 05-25-03 08:47:25 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

As most of you know, INTL is run by me. I wrote the forum software and I am the chief administrator of this site. You may also know that I pay a monthly fee in order to ensure that INTL exists and doesn't disappear into the "This page cannot be displayed" land. You may also know that I am not rich.

Let me reiterate.

1. I am not rich.
2. I pay cash money out of my own pocket to keep INTL up.
3. I am not rich.

So with these three points, allow me to explain the reasoning behind initiating something as drastic as this.

You see, I would like INTL to pay for itself. I would rather generate enough money per month via INTL to maintain INTL without money coming out of my pocket. In order to do this, I will need to make it so that INTL has some kind of pay features for those of you hardcore INTL fans out there. Thus as soon as INTL3 is released, I will be making it so that the following features are only enabled for users that pay a one-time fee of $10. That is to say, you pay $10 and all these features are unlocked. For those of you that have already donated cash money to INTL's cause, you will be receiving these features automatically due to your generosity. You know who you are.

• Searching the database
  • Change your custom title upon purchasing these features
  • Viewing who has given you karma
  • Renaming threads that you've posted
  • Access to the "view all posts by user" feature
  • Access to the Member Listing
  • Ability to use pictures in your signature
  • An additional 5mb of upload space
  • Ability to upload .zip .htm .html .txt and .mp3 files in addition to the default file extensions (.jpg .gif .jpeg .bmp .png)
  • No more post minimum for features such as avatars, karma, and uploading files.

There may be other features added to this list in the future if I deem it necessary. As for now, these features are not essential to the whole "foruming" experience, however lame that sounds, but they're just the little added features that may make your INTL experience a bit better. All of those features will be unlocked once you pay the one-time $10 fee.

Other things that will cost money.

Changing your username: $5
    Changing your custom title: $5
    Changing someone else's custom title: $10
    Additional uploade space: See below.

Additional upload space will cost based on how much additional space you'd like to have. I'll post a listing of how much X amount of MBs will cost in the future, since as of now I have no clue how I'm going to break it down. However, you will automatically be granted 2MB of upload space upon attaining 100 posts with your account.
    "Sandamnit is the kind of guy that can chase a bad guy across three blocks worth of roof tops, finally catching up with the fucker to jam a gun in his face. The bad guy always says "Pull the trigger! Pull it!! I know you can't do it, pussy!" at which point Sandamnit, unlike some other phony superheroes, shoots him dead... I like it." - Mingan
    This reply was last edited on 05-28-03 01:41:45 PM by Air Bud.
  • Sunn O)))
    INTL Alumni
    14 year RP master

Zan-beef

Ballkicks: (+761 / -127)
    Reg. Date: Mar 2002
    Reply 1 of 72 (Originally posted on: 05-25-03 08:56:55 PM)
    Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

Hmmm... paying seems logical. However, I question one feature, which I, and many other people do use frequently. That is the "Also Here" function. I use it primarily to examine if someone is replying to a thread, before I respond to it. It is nice to know who is in the thread and what they are doing, before you perform a task. And in most accounts, it has atleast become a mandatory action which I, (and possibly others), perform continuously.

Perhaps, instead, you could offer some other features. For example, the BBcode Manager, the ability to have signature pics, the ability to have a "Get out of Ban" 'free card,' which you can only use once? Or even the ability to see people's 'edit history' for their posts. You could even go as far as allowing them to have their RS post count added to their current one.

The possibilities are endless, just watch out about getting rid of features that are already in use. People can get irritated easily, even over the smallest of issues.
    I lived my life in shadow
    Never the sun on my face
    It didn't seem so sad, though
    I figured that was my place
    flaming arrow
    INTL Premium Member

old time judge suck cock

Ballkicks: (+1266 / -281)
    Reply 2 of 72 (Originally posted on: 05-25-03 09:24:34 PM)

Remove the "Also Here:" feature from the pay-list and add the ones Sunny mentioned and that'd sound good.
    Dr. Bashir: "I can't belive you're not pressing charges."
    Garak: "Constable Odo and Captain Sisko expressed similar concerns but really doctor, there was no harm done."
    Dr. Bashir: "They broke seven of your transverse ribs and fractured your clavicle."
    Garak: "Ah, but I got off several cutting remarks which no doubt did serious damage to their egos."
    Dr. Bashir: "Garak, this isn't funny."
    Garak: "I'm serious doctor. Thanks to your administrations, I'm almost completely healed but the damage I did to them will last a lifetime."
    Bill
    INTL Premium Member

Thanks to id's "Can't see shit!" technology, Doom3 will run great on any computer!

Ballkicks: (+184 / -54)
    Reg. Date: May 2002
    Reply 3 of 72 (Originally posted on: 05-25-03 10:16:14 PM)

I plan on opening a savings account, which will have some sort of arrangment for me to have a debit card. I would be willing to pay for the above features, a user account, as well as what sunny mentioned. I see no reason why we shouldn't have to pay for INTL now(but it's a good thing we don't, because I wouldn't have a way to pay for a few weeks, at least). The only request I make is that guests who haven't payed not be able to view any forums except for inside discussions, that way they get an idea of what INTL is, but don't suck up too much bandwith. You could also make PMing a pay feature, because it's not NEEDED, but it is a wonderful feature to have(I would pay extra to have the PM option if I had to). Uploading should definetly be a pay feature especially certain file types. Perhaps only images could be enabled with the initial purchase, but you could expand to .ZIPs, HTML files, ETC with each additional purchase (though I think that may have been mentioned before). I also know you said something about not enabling users to edit color schemes...I agree with that, but I also think if you pay a certain fee, you should be able edit your own and make it a preset. Since INTL3 is going to be a paysite, when your coding it, you should make some provisions to make it easier to purchase features/outline them, etc.
    debian is for maniacs, but it's more solid than a tank built out of titanium and fairy dust-mirthalac
    Air Bud
    Internet Superstar

Reply 4 of 72 (Originally posted on: 05-25-03 10:34:25 PM)

As far as restricting what kind of file extensions can be uploaded, I'm going to be doing the reverse of what INTL current has, instead of allowing people to upload anything, EXCEPT certain extensions, you'll be able to upload ONLY the accepted file extensions. I like the idea of setting this up on a user-by-user feature, so that when you purchase a certain amount of space, you'll unlock certain extensions (zip, html, mp3, txt, and so forth). So yeah, it has a limited application that most people probably won't really notice, but would give certain people incentive to purchase more upload space.

As far as limiting PMs, I'm not going to do that. As Sunshine said, I don't want to drive people away from the site by limiting what they can do on it. People rely on the PM feature and if I took it away from them, most people would probably get upset and leave. However, INTL3 is going to have a quota as far as how many PMs you can have in your inbox, thus it may be possible to make it so that your quota goes from say 50 to 100 when you purchase the bonus features.

As far as limiting guests to being able to view ID only, I'm going to say no to that, at least for now. INTL is still growing and needs all the forums open to the public in order to generate as many keywords as possible to bring in as much google hits as possible.

Last point before I submit this reply. Yes, I am going to include some provisions to make something like this possible. I'm going to assign permissions to certain forum features on an individual basis. The administrators will be able to define the default settings for new users upon registration, but they'll also be able to give and/or take away permissions to certain features. For example, the current "bonus account" thing, when someone purchases a "bonus account", an administrator will merely load up their profile and grant them the permissions that come along with purchasing the "bonus account". On the same token, if someone abuses a certain feature, such as private messages, but harassing people via that feature, an administrator will be able to load up their profile and restrict them from using it temporarily or indefinitely; or if someone violates the karma distribution bug, an administrator can just restrict them giving karma. Also, if someone decides to flame and troll in Inside Discussions, we can take away their access to all forums, other than Retardation Station, thus locking them to RS and RS alone as a punishment, instead of banning them for a week.

The possibilities are endless, and I am still open to suggestion as far as INTL3 and the whole "bonus account" thing goes, so don't hesitate to suggest ideas for both.
    "Sandamnit is the kind of guy that can chase a bad guy across three blocks worth of roof tops, finally catching up with the fucker to jam a gun in his face. The bad guy always says "Pull the trigger! Pull it!! I know you can't do it, pussy!" at which point Sandamnit, unlike some other phony superheroes, shoots him dead... I like it." - Mingan
    Pascal
    The Alpha Nerd

I love you, but why must you love the law?

Ballkicks: (+419 / -41)
    Reply 5 of 72 (Originally posted on: 05-26-03 03:29:31 AM)

I don't mind paying on principle, but I'm overly paranoid about the forum going to hell after I've paid.\

Oh, letting people change their own titles could possibly suck.
    Tonto_johnlee
    U HAVE BEEN REDIRECTED TO THA LOGOUT SCRIPT ROFLOL

INTL resident asperger syndrome guy

Ballkicks: (+67 / -170)
    Reg. Date: Jul 2002
    Reply 6 of 72 (Originally posted on: 05-26-03 04:29:27 AM)

Quoted from Pascal:
    I don't mind paying on principle, but I'm overly paranoid about the forum going to hell after I've paid.\

Oh, letting people change their own titles could possibly suck.

I'd love to donate too, despite how much I hate INTL, because I want to see those who've given me karma. :p I'll have to wait till I'm 18 to do this though. MAGUSMAGUSMAGUSMAGUS Like Pascal, I'm wary about letting people change their own custom titles. That kind of defeats it's own purpose, no?
    CLICK HERE, I SAY, HERE!
    FINE THEN, BE THAT WAY!.
    For each point of positive karma I get, I get eight points of negative karma.
    Edit: I don't have enough negative karma yet! I demand more you sick losers, more!
    Official King of Suck, as announced by Flaming Arrow at KOTRT.
    Matthew 9:12-13 But when Jesus heard that, he said unto them, They that be whole need not a physician, but they that are sick. But go ye and learn what that meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice: for I am not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.
    flaming arrow
    INTL Premium Member

old time judge suck cock

Ballkicks: (+1266 / -281)
    Reply 7 of 72 (Originally posted on: 05-26-03 08:46:48 AM)

Hey, if JoeBlow wants to pay Sandamnit five bucks to change his title, why the hell not?

It's his money.

Oh, wait, WHENEVER one wants to? No, that's a bad idea. I didn't read carefully, I guess.
    Dr. Bashir: "I can't belive you're not pressing charges."
    Garak: "Constable Odo and Captain Sisko expressed similar concerns but really doctor, there was no harm done."
    Dr. Bashir: "They broke seven of your transverse ribs and fractured your clavicle."
    Garak: "Ah, but I got off several cutting remarks which no doubt did serious damage to their egos."
    Dr. Bashir: "Garak, this isn't funny."
    Garak: "I'm serious doctor. Thanks to your administrations, I'm almost completely healed but the damage I did to them will last a lifetime."
    Mojo
    Velocity BITCH

Big Mamma Bitch

Ballkicks: (+192 / -66)
    Reg. Date: Dec 2002
    Reply 8 of 72 (Originally posted on: 05-26-03 01:12:04 PM)

I know that the PM feature was invaluable to me as a newbie, because I could send a message to someone with more experience and ask them what they thought before I posted something I wasn't sure about and avoid the public persecution of posting a dumbass thread. Also, as a moderator, I've used the PM feature to send someone a note as an informal warning or "tsk tsk, go edit that to take out the flamelike quality, please" instead of making a big hairy deal out of it. Despite the strictness of SD, there are actually fewer problems there than with any of the other forums, as far as I can tell. I love being able to consult with Sunny via PM if I think there's a problem before we take any official action. I don't know if the moderatorship will be the same on INTL 3, but I would think it a handicap if someone were involved in a borderline situation and the mod couldn't PM them because they'd used up all their inbox space or hadn't purchased more.

I haven't had much coffee, so I might have misunderstood the original question. If I have, sorry.
    Marijn: Those final swaying moments,
    where time draws its dying breath;

Let us kiss then

Eternity can run its course
    in rapture everlasting.

Guy Tuttle and Ass
    Global Moderator

gotta get that VICTORY ROYALE #gamer #memes #LoL

Ballkicks: (+1782 / -130)
    Reply 9 of 72 (Originally posted on: 05-27-03 01:48:50 AM)

Users who donate should have increased upload space as part of the deal.

And I think that you should add the 'folder' feature of PMs into the pay list.

Quoted from Sandamnit:
    Ability to change your custom title whenever you want to

Is this the title below the avatar or below the username?

Quote:
    the ability to have signature pics

This is a good idea. Besides, the only people who use sig pics in the first place are newbies and Dimi.

Quote:
    he ability to have a "Get out of Ban" 'free card,'

I think that this is a bad idea.

[quote=Sandamnit]Ability to change your custom title whenever you want to[/q]

Is this the title below the avatar or below the username?
    I mean for real this time, or at least just kinda try!
    Pascal
    The Alpha Nerd

Reply 10 of 72 (Originally posted on: 05-27-03 02:38:12 AM)

Below the avatar.

It would suck to have to pay to get the option to use a 'sigpic' that is nothing more than large text.
    Stormraider
    User is currently banned until further notice.

im gay

Reply 11 of 72 (Originally posted on: 05-27-03 07:11:46 AM)

Well, this will certainly be interesting.
    Stormraider- 73.275% of your daily dose of Cynical Jackass!!
    "Fight the war, fuck the norm. Now I got no patience;So sick of complacence. With the D the E the F the I the A the N the C the E. Mind of a revolutionary, so clear the lane" - RATM
    shelper

Ballkicks: (+58 / -7)
    Reg. Date: Oct 2002
    Reply 12 of 72 (Originally posted on: 05-27-03 08:24:06 AM)

Its a shame we will lose the option to change other peoples custom titles.
    In my opinion, that was one of the most fun features of INTL.
    Air Bud
    Internet Superstar

Reply 13 of 72 (Originally posted on: 05-27-03 11:36:03 AM)

Quoted from Pascal:
    Below the avatar.

It would suck to have to pay to get the option to use a 'sigpic' that is nothing more than large text.
    You're only saying that because you're using an image in your signature.

And it's not like you'd be paying ONLY for a sigpic, you're paying for access to all the additional perks that come with it as well. Of course, if you don't want or use those options, then that's your problem for paying $10 to use a sigpic.
    Pascal
    The Alpha Nerd

Reply 14 of 72 (Originally posted on: 05-27-03 11:58:43 AM)

Well, yes. But it still sucks. :p

I agree with Shelper...are we going to lose that option?
    Air Bud
    Internet Superstar

Reply 15 of 72 (Originally posted on: 05-27-03 12:32:15 PM)

Quoted from Pascal:
    Well, yes. But it still sucks. :p

I agree with Shelper...are we going to lose that option?
    Unfortunately, yes.
    poop
    $$~~~Crips~~~$$
    slooooooooooooots

i'd expect more sorcery in a place called mana pools

Ballkicks: (+731 / -71)
    Reply 16 of 72 (Originally posted on: 05-27-03 02:45:40 PM)

Whatever happened to the idea of adspace?

Personally, I'd rather see a banner at the top of the screen then see all these restrictions.

Another thing, when new users come, not having access to some of these forums would limit their "willingness" to stick around. I could be way off base, but the forum code is one of the thing that makes this forum what it is, and is really attractive to new users. Sure, you could say that it may incent them to buy membership...but wouldn't it all be in vain if they are quickly turned away before they even bother to get to know what these features are?
    Air Bud
    Internet Superstar

Reply 17 of 72 (Originally posted on: 05-27-03 02:53:11 PM)

Quoted from Tartarus:
    Whatever happened to the idea of adspace?
    Taxes.
    Quote:
    Another thing, when new users come, not having access to some of these forums would limit their "willingness" to stick around. I could be way off base, but the forum code is one of the thing that makes this forum what it is, and is really attractive to new users. Sure, you could say that it may incent them to buy membership...but wouldn't it all be in vain if they are quickly turned away before they even bother to get to know what these features are?
    The features that are going to be disabled aren't going to be integral features. They're merely optional features that don't do anything to further your experience at the site. It's not like most people want or care to know who has given them karma, but it's nice to know. It's not like everyone uses the Memberlisting or the search engine. It's not like everyone uses pictures in their signatures, it's not like everyone needs to rename their threads, or upload .mp3 files, or needs to view all the posts by a user. These features are not needed to make the site better than it actually is.

Now, were I to make it so that you had to pay $10 to edit a post, or use a thread tag other than the I AM UGLY tag, or use the [noubb][b][/noubb] tag, or have an avatar, or view more than one thread a day. Those are features that are essential to the whole forumming experience, the optional features are just added benefits.
    Guy Tuttle and Ass
    Global Moderator

Reply 18 of 72 (Originally posted on: 05-27-03 06:29:22 PM)

Quote:
    Unfortunately, yes.

I don't know if you should take away the ability to change custom titles (if by custom title you mean the text below the avatar), because you're really only going to have a few people who actually pay, and then custom titles will be barely ever change.
    Spazz
    The DA: Dumbledore's Army
    Didn't donate $500 dollars to INTL!

got way too much shit when she was here

Ballkicks: (+141 / -122)
    Reg. Date: Feb 2003
    Reply 19 of 72 (Originally posted on: 05-27-03 07:59:48 PM)

I agree here with Ice. The option to change others titles and not your own if fun. Now maybe if you made it so that if you pay you can change others titles that woudl be cool. I don't think that people should be able to change their own titles.
    My old signature was just a bunch of obnoxious zeros and ones, so Sandamnit had to edit my signature to make it less annoying and obnoxious. Also, if I change this signature before June 1st, I will be banned.
    Air Bud
    Internet Superstar

Reply 20 of 72 (Originally posted on: 05-27-03 11:36:02 PM)

Quoted from ice:
    Quote:
    Unfortunately, yes.

I don't know if you should take away the ability to change custom titles (if by custom title you mean the text below the avatar), because you're really only going to have a few people who actually pay, and then custom titles will be barely ever change.
    That's the point, dude. Custom titles really aren't essential to the forums. They're just another added benefit. Administrators will still be able to assign custom titles as they see fit and you'll be able to get one upon registration and those that already have accounts will be grandfathered in, possibly*.

I'm trying to restrict the optional things to make money from those that are willing to blow $5 to add to their experience. It's either that or I get bored with this site, say fuck it, and take it down because I'm sick and tired of spending money out of my pocket, providing a free service that does nothing more than consume my time and money.

*If this actually happens, I'll probably be giving out free custom titles for the first week that INTL3 is up.
    Guy Tuttle and Ass
    Global Moderator

Reply 21 of 72 (Originally posted on: 05-28-03 01:25:51 AM)

Okay, I understand.

What if you make it possible for paid users to use text up to like [size=4]? I think that would be cool.
    Pascal
    The Alpha Nerd

Reply 22 of 72 (Originally posted on: 05-28-03 02:24:44 AM)

How about...we keep titles the way they are.

If you paid, you'd be able to change your own as often as you want.
    Spazz
    The DA: Dumbledore's Army
    Didn't donate $500 dollars to INTL!

got way too much shit when she was here

Ballkicks: (+141 / -122)
    Reg. Date: Feb 2003
    Reply 23 of 72 (Originally posted on: 05-28-03 03:11:52 AM)

Quoted from Spazz:
    Now maybe if you made it so that if you pay you can change others titles that woudl be cool. I don't think that people should be able to change their own titles.
    Why not this way?
    My old signature was just a bunch of obnoxious zeros and ones, so Sandamnit had to edit my signature to make it less annoying and obnoxious. Also, if I change this signature before June 1st, I will be banned.
    Stormraider
    User is currently banned until further notice.

im gay

Reply 24 of 72 (Originally posted on: 05-28-03 07:19:32 AM)

I'm not exactly thrilled about the idea that you can change someone's user name when you pay the onetime fee of $10.

Were I a newbie, checking out whether or not I like the forum, I would be very turned off if someone was able to continually change my name to whatever they want. Hell, until I pay the $10, I myself would feel very annoyed if anyone changed my name.
    Stormraider- 73.275% of your daily dose of Cynical Jackass!!
    "Fight the war, fuck the norm. Now I got no patience;So sick of complacence. With the D the E the F the I the A the N the C the E. Mind of a revolutionary, so clear the lane" - RATM
    Quick Reply
    Page: [ 1 2 3 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
    [ Thread Views: 6590 | Total Posts: 72 ]