Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Discussion Forums > The "Song A Day" Thread Forum > Summer Books > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest. Moderated by: D drahnier
Page: [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] [ Thread Views: 11403 | Total Posts: 121 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
D
Administrator

i didn't have the strength to get it all the way off

Ballkicks: (+1950 / -91)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
(Originally posted on: 06-02-02 03:40:41 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

I don't know about everyone else here, but during the summer I have more free time since I don't have school and homework and things to worry about. That clears up all my school time, all my homework time, and all those hours I spend procrastinating.

I work in the summer, but I still have much more time then I do in the school year, so I often like to fill that time with reading. During the school year I never read books that I pick, cause i'm to busy with books they pick for me, and I never enjoy reading for school. After reading you have to make a journal and anylize, its just not my thing, I like to just kick back and think about it.
I've been thinking about what books I want to read this summer, some of them i've already read.

The Iliad - Homer
Killer Angels - Michael Shaara (already read some of it)
All Quiet on the Western Front - author? (read it)
Animal Farm - George Orwel (read it)
The Perks of Being a Wallflower - Stephen Chbosky (read it 3 times over, love it more and more everytime)
The Fountainhead - Ayn Rand
Dracula - Brahm Stoker (maybe)
The Prince - Niccolo Machiavelli

Does anyone else plan on doing some reading this summer? What books? What suggestions for good books?
"MY BUM IS ON THE MAN!" - Flaming Arrow
Kyrie
INTL Alumni
No more blue tomorrows.

Eleison

Ballkicks: (+79 / -9)
Reg. Date: Apr 2002
Reply 1 of 121 (Originally posted on: 06-02-02 03:43:27 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

I'd recommend The Dispossessed by Ursula K. LeGuin, Virtual Light, Idoru, or All Tomorrow's Parties by William Gibson, or The Neverending Story by Michael Ende (yes, so what if it's a children's book?).
D
Administrator

Reply 2 of 121 (Originally posted on: 06-02-02 03:46:37 PM)

What are they about? i'm a serial-killer :)

Thanks for recomendations i'm a serial-killer :)
Mingan
INTL Alumni
Mmm Skyscraper I Love You

Why are we having this wedding? because Abraham Lincoln, of course!

Ballkicks: (+637 / -48)
Reg. Date: May 2002
Reply 3 of 121 (Originally posted on: 06-02-02 03:53:40 PM)

of your list I've read Dracula and Animal Farm. dracula was very good. I am now reading the following:
Hyperion series - Dan Simmons
Interview with a Vampire - Anne Rice
and plan to read these in the very near future:
Shannara series - Terry Brooks
J.P. Sartre, I got the books in dutch so I don't know how the titles have been translated in english
Desperation :: A Rope Ends It
Kyrie
INTL Alumni
No more blue tomorrows.

Eleison

Reply 4 of 121 (Originally posted on: 06-02-02 03:53:49 PM)

The Dispossessed is science fiction. It's the story of a scientist from an alternate world where a group of anarchists have established a society of their own on the moon, and that scientist's struggle in comprehending the capitalist world his ancestors came from. Quite interesting...

The William Gibson books are kind of... cyberpunk, I guess? They generally make a few observations on the state of the world, becoming more and more technologically advanced. His characters are really wonderful, I (heart) Chevette and Chia.

The Neverending Story is kind of hard to describe... but you could always watch the movies... :x The first two, anyway.
pussinboots

Ballkicks: (+40 / -20)
Reg. Date: Dec 2001
Reply 5 of 121 (Originally posted on: 06-02-02 08:45:26 PM)

Of the books you listed, I've read The Iliad, Animal Farm, and The Prince. Any of those are pretty good books. I'm currently reading The Communist Manifesto by Freidrich Engles and Karl Marx and a book called She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb. I would recommend just about anything by Anthony Burgess.
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

gotta get that VICTORY ROYALE #gamer #memes #LoL

Ballkicks: (+1782 / -130)
Reply 6 of 121 (Originally posted on: 06-02-02 08:57:25 PM)

Has anyone here read The Last Samurai? If you haven't, do it. It's the best book I've ever read.

It's by Helen DeWitt.
The position being taken is not to be mistaken for attempted education or righteous accusation, only a description, just an observation of the pitiful condition of our degeneration.
stew

thick soup

Ballkicks: (+62 / -7)
Reply 7 of 121 (Originally posted on: 06-02-02 08:59:06 PM)

Guns of the South - Harry Turtledove.

Basically, any Harry Turtledove books. He writes like, science fiction alternate history, werid but very cool.
I am ahead.
I am advanced.
I am the first mammal to wear pants.
Yeah.
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

Reply 8 of 121 (Originally posted on: 06-02-02 09:01:02 PM)

Yeah, I've heard a lot about him.
The position being taken is not to be mistaken for attempted education or righteous accusation, only a description, just an observation of the pitiful condition of our degeneration.
stew

thick soup

Reply 9 of 121 (Originally posted on: 06-02-02 11:07:31 PM)

We were supposed to explain a non-fiction book to the English class. I chose Guns of the South.

What a horrible, horrible idea that was.
I am ahead.
I am advanced.
Yeah.
LedHead

Ballkicks: (+6 / -2)
Reg. Date: May 2002
Reply 10 of 121 (Originally posted on: 06-02-02 11:40:20 PM)

I'm not sure what I'll read, I'm thinking some Faulkner, maybe re-read Wolfe (Thomas, not Tom), and Dr. Faustus by Marlowe, if only to compare it to Goethe's Faust.
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

Reply 11 of 121 (Originally posted on: 06-03-02 12:25:43 AM)

Quoted from stew:
We were supposed to explain a non-fiction book to the English class. I chose Guns of the South.

What a horrible, horrible idea that was.

Hmmm.

It must have been pretty funny.
boutitben
INTL Premium Member
Captain Naked Santa

LBH was here.

Ballkicks: (+186 / -18)
Reply 12 of 121 (Originally posted on: 06-03-02 01:37:21 AM)

From that list I've read All Quiet on the Western Front, The Prince, and Animal Farm. The first two I read last year, and Animal Farm was even further back, but I'm not sure when.

This summer for my AP classes I have to read 4 books.

Frankenstein
The Grapes of Wrath
A History of Knowledge
Founding Brothers

I'm not sure how good any of these are. Frankenstein sounds interesting just because of the monster guy I associate with the name, but I'm not sure about the rest of them.

It sucks like ice was saying because I have to write essays and make notes as I go, which are definitely not things that I enjoy doing.

Have any of you read those books?
Mr Pixies
Scuba.

Ballkicks: (+490 / -96)
Reply 13 of 121 (Originally posted on: 06-03-02 03:55:57 PM)

I have summer reading. I only have to read one book of like 4 selections. Anyone know if "1984" is any good? If you want a really good read, read anything by Chuck Palahniuk. He wrote Fight Club.
I'm entertained, but I'd rather be enlightened.

boutitben
INTL Premium Member
Captain Naked Santa

LBH was here.

Reply 14 of 121 (Originally posted on: 06-03-02 04:02:14 PM)

I've heard 1984 is good, but I have not read it.
Kyrie
INTL Alumni
No more blue tomorrows.

Eleison

Reply 15 of 121 (Originally posted on: 06-03-02 04:27:16 PM)

1984 is an excellent book. Everything about it is just amazing... I think my only problem with it was personal; it was (understandably) very claustrophobic, and I don't do well with that, it makes me depressed. In any case... it's recommended.
the word america means freedom as in, "free to kill the free"
don't fly those stripes, those stars and stripes for me
THS
im real angry >8-(

Ballkicks: (+30 / -21)
Reg. Date: Dec 2002
Reply 16 of 121 (Originally posted on: 06-03-02 04:37:11 PM)

1984 is a very good book. I read it this year. I've heard The Fountainhead was a good book, haven't read it. The only Rand book I've read so far is "We the Living" and that was a great book, it's about early Communist Russia.
THS[/whisper] - Heartless Right Winger[/whisper]
I am the eggman.[/whisper]
[whisper]They are the eggman.

[whisper]I am the walrus.

[whisper]Compassionate Conservative. BWAHAHAHA! Just kidding.
Good OL MC

Ballkicks: (+66 / -15)
Reply 17 of 121 (Originally posted on: 06-03-02 06:56:46 PM)

Quote:
Dracula - Brahm Stoker

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, DO NOT READ THAT BOOK!

Bored the living shit out of me. And it is hard to do that.

I have a little list I'd like to read (not including what I'll need to read for school. Which I don't know yet):

"1984" by George Orwell
"The Sum Of All Fears" by Tom Cancy
"The Hunt For Red October" by Tom Clancy
"Black House" by Stephen King and Peter Straub
"Rouge Spear" by Tom Clancy
And there is one more Tom Clancy book I'd like to read. Though its name eludes me at the present time.
boutitben
INTL Premium Member
Captain Naked Santa

LBH was here.

Reply 18 of 121 (Originally posted on: 06-03-02 09:07:12 PM)

My friend has let me borrow Douglas Adams' The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide, which includes six stories and is 815 pages. It should keep me busy for quite a while.
D
Administrator

Reply 19 of 121 (Originally posted on: 06-03-02 10:36:30 PM)

Quote:
I'm not sure how good any of these are. Frankenstein sounds interesting just because of the monster guy I associate with the name, but I'm not sure about the rest of them.

That 'monster guy' is boring as hell. Boring Boring Boring book, horribly boring and stupid book.
Its a very boring romantic book written by a stupid little bitch.
But hey, just my opinion. Seriously, some people really like it, I didn't find it a single bit scary or intresting either, if you want intresting dont expect to find it withing the first 2 grusome hours of reading the book.
boutitben
INTL Premium Member
Captain Naked Santa

LBH was here.

Reply 20 of 121 (Originally posted on: 06-03-02 10:42:00 PM)

Dammit, that sucks. I thought for once my school might have actually given me something wortwhile to read. I also dislike romantic things, to top it all off.
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

Reply 21 of 121 (Originally posted on: 06-03-02 11:07:42 PM)

HA! I guess you thought wrong! School can NEVER be fun!

Anyone have to read The Bluest Eye this year?
stew

thick soup

Reply 22 of 121 (Originally posted on: 06-03-02 11:17:14 PM)

I personally liked Frankenstein and Dracula.
I am ahead.
I am advanced.
Yeah.
The Phoenix

Ballkicks: (+46 / -17)
Reply 23 of 121 (Originally posted on: 06-05-02 12:01:41 AM)

Animal Farm, 1984, and All Quiet on the Western Front are all great books IMO.

A couple more that I'd recommend would be The Crucible, by Arthur Miller, and Othello.
Mr Pixies
Scuba.

Ballkicks: (+490 / -96)
Reply 24 of 121 (Originally posted on: 06-06-02 03:46:22 PM)

This year I read The Crucible, Night, and the Great Gatsby. If you are interested in the Holocaust, Night is really good, and the Great Gatsby was a good read.
I'm entertained, but I'd rather be enlightened.

Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 11403 | Total Posts: 121 ]