Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Discussion Forums > The "Song A Day" Thread Forum > About the merger of RS and ID -OR- People have to learn where certain threads are supposed to go. > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest. Moderated by: D drahnier
Page: [ 1 2 ] [ Thread Views: 2224 | Total Posts: 40 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
Skye
INTL Premium Member
Droog Queen

I love Skye

Ballkicks: (+781 / -120)
Reg. Date: Jan 2003
(Originally posted on: 05-06-03 12:31:27 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

A lot of people have been talking about...stuff I don't feel like rehashing despite its relevancy. However, there have been proposals for solutions...not many, but there have been.

One proposal has been to merge Retardation Station (home of a ton of threads and, well, retardation) and Inside Discussions (the semi-serious, semi-ordinary chatting hoo-hah). The merger would probably be a good idea, but as FA said (I think) and others, the spamming and trolling and flaming and bullshit of RS would only pollute the pristine, welcoming environment of ID. On the other hand, stricter guidelines would prevent shitty threads and other wastes of time and bandwidth.

Another proposal that I put forward was to prevent new users from posting in RS and TEZ until they accumulate a certain number of posts elsewhere. This trial will test their intelligence, their maturity, their--well, fortitude in a way. If they screw up in the other forums by violating the Terms of Service, they get banned. However, if they can last out the trial period, then they can be allowed to post in RS and TEZ.

Another measure would be to create a shame forum for RS threads. This would limit the bullshit in RS and allow for some more entertaining threads to waste quality time. It would also please both sides in a way because the stupid people have their stupid place, the smart people have their stupid place, and ID and RS will remain somewhat separated.

ANOTHER MEASURE (lots of measures, ain't it?) would be to reestablish once more what threads go into ID, and what threads go into RS. Even though most of us should know by now, some of us do not. Even though most of us read the forum descriptions, some of us do not. Even though most of us read the Terms of Service, some of us did not. This group of people who do not know the rules and guidelines, protocol and routines, etc. etc. may be the reason why thread originality has been waning and more shit has been infused into the various forums.

The next to last suggestion would be to place more restrictions on RS and give the moderators of RS banning power. Sure, it's fun to watch the admins and Sandamnit get "bored" once in a while, but sometimes the retardation of RS could stand to be a little less...retarded. And eliminating certain members, or banning those members from RS, at least, would curb the asinine, idiotic, annoying threads that are so annoying they're not even worth being called "spam threads".

And the last idea would be to leave the forums the hell alone and let them ascend to the heights of interweb heaven...or descend to the fiery inferno of worthlessness.

So far, these are the ideas that have been pooled--if there have been additional ones, or ones that haven't been fully developed or even proposed yet, put them here. If we condense all our debates to one single thread, it saves bandwidth and it's all there for general reference so that people know what's going on and the problems being discussed.

Whew. So yes. Let's brainstorm and think and configure.
Stolen from Tyr to describe my plight:

I feel inadequate when I see you being very witty. What's your secret? Drugs? Surgery? Purgatory?
Coca-Cola
INTL Premium Member

MY WIG-WAM WOKS!

Ballkicks: (+503 / -183)
Reg. Date: Feb 2003
Reply 1 of 40 (Originally posted on: 05-06-03 12:41:17 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

I'm against the possible merging in ID and RS as I believe that certain threads belong in each. I think that people should start posting more in ID, and if they post an ID-worthy thread in RS then it should be moved to ID!

Spilting RS would be a good idea. We could have just normal Retardation Station, and then we could have Super-Fucking-Retarded Post Here if You're Jota (and other retards) Station. Just an idea.

I like your idea to not allow newbies to post in RS, although they should still be allowed to post in TEZ as TEZ is not RS and should contain sensible posts anyways.
Marijuana is living proof that big things do come in small packages.

Jesus - "men having sex with men = gay"
Zippo279 - "Lick and blow. Lick and blow."
shelper

Ballkicks: (+58 / -7)
Reg. Date: Oct 2002
Reply 2 of 40 (Originally posted on: 05-06-03 01:23:07 PM)

Well, stormraider did say that he was going to be somewhat tougher in moderating RS.
To be able to ban someone just from RS would be a good idea as well.
I also like the idea of a posting limit upon entering RS and TEZ.

All in all, good ideas.

*edit* why the hell am i so damn fond of the Enter key...
dramamine
INTL Premium Member
<b>Eating Pussy Since 1995</b>

Travelling, swallowing,

Ballkicks: (+286 / -39)
Reg. Date: Oct 2002
Reply 3 of 40 (Originally posted on: 05-06-03 01:30:51 PM)

Man, you guys are taking all of this stuff so seriously. I used to enjoy coming here but now...

This makes me sad in my heart. I never thought the day would come where I didn't enjoy reading or writing posts here. I can't even get through a whole thread anymore. I read a couple of posts, lose interest and then close the window. Someone contact me when the site is cool again.
OLD SKOOL 4 LIFE KREW

Hooray for me!!
Jota

Just plain sucking in 87.54% of posts

Ballkicks: (+108 / -202)
Reg. Date: May 2003
Reply 4 of 40 (Originally posted on: 05-06-03 01:46:41 PM)

I like keeping RS and ID just the way the are except moving posts in RS that should be in ID to ID so it gets more action. And maybe get some more quality posters here to help pick up the action from other forums that you go to. If like Sandamnit got some people from SA to come here that he liked and thought were good posters than maybe this place would become more lively.
My Karma Ran Over My Dogma
This reply was last edited on 05-06-03 02:40:48 PM by Jota.
Skye
INTL Premium Member
Droog Queen

I love Skye

Reply 5 of 40 (Originally posted on: 05-06-03 01:52:51 PM)

Quoted from dramamine:
Man, you guys are taking all of this stuff so seriously. I used to enjoy coming here but now...

This makes me sad in my heart. I never thought the day would come where I didn't enjoy reading or writing posts here. I can't even get through a whole thread anymore. I read a couple of posts, lose interest and then close the window. Someone contact me when the site is cool again.

It can be cool again very soon--if some things were to change.

I feel inadequate when I see you being very witty. What's your secret? Drugs? Surgery? Purgatory?
Scruffy - The Janitor
Alcoholics Anonymous
While anarchy can often turn a humdrum weekend into something unforgettable, eventually the mob must be kept from stealing the conch and killing Piggy.

Pimpin is just a haircut and a shave away!

Ballkicks: (+650 / -57)
Reply 6 of 40 (Originally posted on: 05-06-03 02:12:07 PM)

Quoted from Jota:
Looks like someone is trying to do what all the popular kids are doing now a days. Go fucking piss on yourself so you can cream your pants bitch.

Quoted from Terms Of Service: Ways To Get Banned:
16. Needless flaming. A little of this goes a long way. If you need to flame, do so within Retardation Station and Retardation Station alone. This will no longer be tolerated (unless with good reason) within other forums. Likewise, flame wars are ONLY to take place with Retardation Station

*cough*

Anyways, I think the "evaluation period" idea is a good one. New members should have to prove their intellegence before they can flaunt their stupidity. Perhaps placing a post count requirement like with avatars etc is in order?
The true meaning of Alvistime is drinkin'. Drinkin' and revenge. Now drink with me deeply of the burbon scotch and rye until which time as we are fighting drunk. Then we shall find and beat the asses of the non-believers.

Why can't we not be sober? Just want to start this over. Why can't we drink forever? I just want to start this over.
old.jimmy
Too Dumb To Fuck

Ballkicks: (+214 / -44)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
Reply 7 of 40 (Originally posted on: 05-06-03 02:42:08 PM)

Even the new "Which car represents you" thread belongs in ID. You just can't have organized funny in RS and expect anyone to visit ID.

Quote:

The next to last suggestion would be to place more restrictions on RS and give the moderators of RS banning power. Sure, it's fun to watch the admins and Sandamnit get "bored" once in a while, but sometimes the retardation of RS could stand to be a little less...retarded. And eliminating certain members, or banning those members from RS, at least, would curb the asinine, idiotic, annoying threads that are so annoying they're not even worth being called "spam threads".

And the last idea would be to leave the forums the hell alone and let them ascend to the heights of interweb heaven...or descend to the fiery inferno of worthlessness.

So far, these are the ideas that have been pooled--if there have been additional ones, or ones that haven't been fully developed or even proposed yet, put them here. If we condense all our debates to one single thread, it saves bandwidth and it's all there for general reference so that people know what's going on and the problems being discussed.

Whew. So yes. Let's brainstorm and think and configure.

Congratulations, you just described the old INTL, before Retardation Station.
You're everybody's satellite. I wish that you were mine.
C
Administrator

Level 90 Ginger

Ballkicks: (+723 / -204)
Reg. Date: Jun 2002
Reply 8 of 40 (Originally posted on: 05-06-03 02:45:25 PM)

I was noticing that, but with RS getting all the traffic, no one is putting their threads in ID anymore.

Why not just lock RS for a few days, and let the admins move all the ID threads over here, and let us get ID's traffic back up again. Then maybe people will start posting here more.
This Space for Rent

AndyMan1

LBH was here.

Ballkicks: (+32 / -10)
Reply 9 of 40 (Originally posted on: 05-06-03 04:28:00 PM)

So uhm, how many posts are we talking about for that limit? 50? 100?

guess i better get started posting.
Sig? I don't need no stinking Sig!
Scruffy - The Janitor
Alcoholics Anonymous
While anarchy can often turn a humdrum weekend into something unforgettable, eventually the mob must be kept from stealing the conch and killing Piggy.

Pimpin is just a haircut and a shave away!

Ballkicks: (+650 / -57)
Reply 10 of 40 (Originally posted on: 05-06-03 04:30:21 PM)

Quoted from AndyMan1:
So uhm, how many posts are we talking about for that limit? 50? 100?

I think 25-50 sounds reasonable. 25 if we feel like being nice. 50 would be better to condition someone to the INTL way of life, so to speak.
The true meaning of Alvistime is drinkin'. Drinkin' and revenge. Now drink with me deeply of the burbon scotch and rye until which time as we are fighting drunk. Then we shall find and beat the asses of the non-believers.

Why can't we not be sober? Just want to start this over. Why can't we drink forever? I just want to start this over.
Vervet
Anti-wiki

Ballkicks: (+875 / -84)
Reg. Date: Nov 2002
Reply 11 of 40 (Originally posted on: 05-06-03 04:31:33 PM)

Quote:
Another proposal that I put forward was to prevent new users from posting in RS and TEZ until they accumulate a certain number of posts elsewhere. This trial will test their intelligence, their maturity, their--well, fortitude in a way. If they screw up in the other forums by violating the Terms of Service, they get banned. However, if they can last out the trial period, then they can be allowed to post in RS and TEZ.

How would we measure this? There are certain precautions to look at before deciding on "entry qualifications". On first glance, one would think a reasonable post count, like the way new members gain karma and avatars, etc. However, on second glance, some new members are known for posting profusely, without putting much effort into their contribution to the forum. This does not necessarily have to include violations of TOS, but could. And interpretation of "spamming" is subjective; what Sandy may consider a violation, Phil may not (or, the reverse). So measured worth through post counts has many loop holes, such as quick, but rule-following posters, etc. Then there is the "seperate judging", making RS and TEZ pseudoSecret Forums. This creates a whole other problem, like with SPEW Créme de la Créme at SPSW. People don't like to be judged, and when some found out that they have been, they may be "driven away" from the forum. So, um... what are alternative ways to "evaluate" new assets to INTL?

EDIT (for new thoughts): Would RS, etc, be invisible to those unable to post in it? If so, we would have the possibility of dealing with each new addition posting something about "Is this a new FoRuM?!?!". The only solution I can think of would be to have an admin or moderator PM the members who are added, which could become bothersome, considering the amount of members added.
The Great Stories are the ones you have heard and want to hear again. The ones you can enter anywhere and inhabit comfortably. They don't decieve you with thrills and trick endings. They don't surprise you with the unforeseen. They are as familiar as the house you live in. Or the smell of your lover's skin. You know how they end, yet you listen as though you don't. In the way that although you know that one day you will die, you live as though you won't. In the Great Stories you know who lives, who dies, who finds love, who doesn't. And yet you want to know again.
That is their mystery and their magic.
This reply was last edited on 05-06-03 04:42:15 PM by Vervet.
Air Bud
Internet Superstar

Some plants even masturbate into their own vaginas in order to reproduce.

Ballkicks: (+918 / -56)
Reg. Date: Sep 2001
Reply 12 of 40 (Originally posted on: 05-06-03 05:19:52 PM)

I don't understand why people are so fucking afraid to post in ID. It's not exactly difficult to figure out whether a thread belongs in a trolling/spamming/flaming/retarded forum where "what th" comments are commonplace or a semi-serious forum that actually encourages people to make content worthy posts. I just don't understand.

ID originally existed to be a mimmick of Outside Discussions at HGOD, just a bit more liberal, yet after the rise of NNY's alcohol thread, RS was needed to curb any needs to troll/spam/flame/be retarded. Now, unfortunately, it's overcome INTL and become the most popular forum here, where as ID should be the most popular forum.

It's pretty sad that a forum that is dedicated to being retarded has taken over the site, it speaks volumes for the people that inhibit this forum on a regular basis. I mean, if you lack the ability to constrain yourselves from breaking the very simple rules of ID, and merely go behind ID's back to the drunken father of a forum that RS is merely because you know that it'll let you get away with whatever you want to do, whether it be go the gas station to get a soda, drive drunk, or shooting heroin into your veins.

Granted, you can get away with a lot more in RS than you can in ID, but for fuck's sake, I'm sick and tired of opening up RS and seeing 25% of the threads there belonging in ID. I'd feel the same way if I opened up Theater of Sound and saw that 25% of the threads were dedicated to Warcraft 3. It's fucking sickening and really makes me lose faith in the population of this forum. If I were still back home and had the time to sit down and read every single thread as I used to, I'd probably be constantly moving threads to ID from RS. Unfortunately though, I don't have that much time to do so.

Anyway, all I'm saying is please fucking think about what kind of responses you want from the thread you post. If you want semi-serious responses, post it in ID. If you don't care and just want nonsense retarded responses, by all means post it in RS. After all, the reason no one goes to ID is because ALL THE THREADS THAT BELONG THERE ARE BEING POSTED IN RETARDATION STATION INSTEAD OF IN INSIDE DISCUSSIONS WHERE THEY BELONG BY PEOPLE LIKE YOU! YES! YOU!
"Sandamnit is the kind of guy that can chase a bad guy across three blocks worth of roof tops, finally catching up with the fucker to jam a gun in his face. The bad guy always says "Pull the trigger! Pull it!! I know you can't do it, pussy!" at which point Sandamnit, unlike some other phony superheroes, shoots him dead... I like it." - Mingan
Bon

Village Idiot

Ballkicks: (+162 / -84)
Reg. Date: Sep 2002
Reply 13 of 40 (Originally posted on: 05-06-03 05:35:55 PM)

I'd have to say that cracking down on the shit threads would be best solution to the welfare of RS.

And about the thing about restricting people from viewing RS and TEZ, isn't it already like that? Because whenever I view INTL at school, I can never see the two. And even if it was restricted to post counts, there's still a fair bit of crap put out by people with 50+ posts.
Skye
INTL Premium Member
Droog Queen

I love Skye

Reply 14 of 40 (Originally posted on: 05-06-03 07:05:45 PM)

Indisposition, that's what I mean. Before you register you can't see those forums anyway. So then you can wait a bit before you start getting in those forums and try to post something semi-serious elsewhere.

And Vervet, as far as my suggestion about post counts goes, the way I figured it was that people could know the threads existed...maybe have it written in the TOS. But first, they would have to post some things in the threads they can see. If that happened, it could improve traffic in the other forums and the new people possibly could gain more respect by spicing up the other parts of the site.

Jeff pretty much nailed it in his post about the point of people figuring out what goes where. Retardation Station is for spamming, trolling, and flaming. Everything else is supposed to go in Inside Discussions. In other words, if you're in the car thread for example, and Pascal calls you a worn-out broken down purple '78 Pinto in ID as a joke, and you don't like it, you go into RS and flame the hell out of him because that's where you get away with it.

If you have some pics of your grandmother in a nice sweater and you want to ask people if they think she's nice looking or something similar (hehe, first thing I thought of) that would go in ID. If you like whacking off to naked pics of old women, that would go in RS or TEZ...hopefully RS with a HUUUUGE Not Work Safe tag.

Most things asking about what people prefer or like or hate could go in ID. Threads that are completely random and are about false teeth being embedded in your asshole could go in RS.

Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

gotta get that VICTORY ROYALE #gamer #memes #LoL

Ballkicks: (+1782 / -130)
Reply 15 of 40 (Originally posted on: 05-06-03 07:41:27 PM)

I will start by stating my opinion: RS has outlived its usefulness. It is my belief that if RS is deleted, the population of INTL will readjust to a looser ID.

I have conducted some research:

http://forums.interestingnonetheless.com/display.php?tid=207
http://forums.interestingnonetheless.com/display.php?tid=364
http://forums.interestingnonetheless.com/display.php?tid=170
http://forums.interestingnonetheless.com/display.php?tid=489
http://forums.interestingnonetheless.com/display.php?tid=473
http://forums.interestingnonetheless.com/display.php?tid=474

All of the above threads were threads that, today, would have been placed in RS but were actually fine in ID. They were taken from the ID Archives.

I propose that we close RS for a while and see how it works out in ID.
I mean for real this time, or at least just kinda try!
flaming arrow
INTL Premium Member

old time judge suck cock

Ballkicks: (+1266 / -281)
Reply 16 of 40 (Originally posted on: 05-06-03 08:54:23 PM)

I try to move ID-worthy threads from RS to ID, but sometimes I just don't notice them.

Well, not anymore. I'll be moving threads a lot more often now.

And MAYBE we should make constantly posting ID-worthy threads in RS a bannable offense.

That should set some of you fools straight.
Dr. Bashir: "I can't belive you're not pressing charges."
Garak: "Constable Odo and Captain Sisko expressed similar concerns but really doctor, there was no harm done."
Dr. Bashir: "They broke seven of your transverse ribs and fractured your clavicle."
Garak: "Ah, but I got off several cutting remarks which no doubt did serious damage to their egos."
Dr. Bashir: "Garak, this isn't funny."
Garak: "I'm serious doctor. Thanks to your administrations, I'm almost completely healed but the damage I did to them will last a lifetime."
AndyMan1

LBH was here.

Reply 17 of 40 (Originally posted on: 05-06-03 08:55:52 PM)

Actually i kinda agree with closing RS for a while. Its a nice place to vent some insanity, but i think a good boost of life into ID would really benefit everyone. Hell, i don't frequent INTL much at all, but when i do ID is the first place i hit, looking for semi-intelligent discussions with room for the occasional blasphemous outburst of curses.
flaming arrow
INTL Premium Member

old time judge suck cock

Ballkicks: (+1266 / -281)
Reply 18 of 40 (Originally posted on: 05-06-03 09:00:51 PM)

I believe we have three options.

Option 1: Merge RS and ID, making ID like the old Inside Discussions. Somewhat looser moderation on flaming and spamming.

Option 2: Crack down on people posting threads in the wrong forums. Keep RS and ID as they are.

Option 3: Close down RS for a week(?), thus forcing people to post in ID. When people get used to posting in ID, re-open RS. Hopefully the people who were afraid of ID will no longer be afraid of ID.

The last two are the ones I prefer.
Dr. Bashir: "I can't belive you're not pressing charges."
Garak: "Constable Odo and Captain Sisko expressed similar concerns but really doctor, there was no harm done."
Dr. Bashir: "They broke seven of your transverse ribs and fractured your clavicle."
Garak: "Ah, but I got off several cutting remarks which no doubt did serious damage to their egos."
Dr. Bashir: "Garak, this isn't funny."
Garak: "I'm serious doctor. Thanks to your administrations, I'm almost completely healed but the damage I did to them will last a lifetime."
Alyantis
FEMALE

Ballkicks: (+89 / -25)
Reg. Date: Apr 2002
Reply 19 of 40 (Originally posted on: 05-06-03 09:02:36 PM)

I don't like RS, I have to wade through useless crap posts to find something interesting. I prefer ID and SD, which is why I hardly even look at RS and post there. If you were to get rid of it, then maybe you could have better posts in here. I don't really know what should happen, except that I think there should be a change. Something's gotta give.
AndyMan1

LBH was here.

Reply 20 of 40 (Originally posted on: 05-06-03 09:17:26 PM)

another option might combine all three.

Close RS, add it to the archives.
Keep just ID for a while.
Create a new RS with much stricter modding.

that might be a good compromise, while eliminating as much work as possible for the mods.
Jota

Just plain sucking in 87.54% of posts

Ballkicks: (+108 / -202)
Reg. Date: May 2003
Reply 21 of 40 (Originally posted on: 05-06-03 09:20:19 PM)

I think you should try option 2. Eventually people will get the idea of what posts should go in ID instead of RS. And if they don't than you could procede to option three and just close RS altogether. The threat alone of closing RS should get people to post more in ID or atleast create the thereads that should be in there, in there.
My Karma Ran Over My Dogma
Pascal
The Alpha Nerd

I love you, but why must you love the law?

Ballkicks: (+419 / -41)
Reg. Date: May 2002
Reply 22 of 40 (Originally posted on: 05-06-03 09:54:19 PM)

Since I fail to see a major difference between ID and RS most of the time, I don't see why we need both. Dividing RS into two forums is, honestly, the most repulsive thing I have ever heard.

I'm sure most people wouldn't have a problem if things shifted to ID, but if you want to actually have people read your posts, you go to RS! I'm at least doing somewhat of a part...I have ID bookmarked so I always go here first.
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

gotta get that VICTORY ROYALE #gamer #memes #LoL

Ballkicks: (+1782 / -130)
Reply 23 of 40 (Originally posted on: 05-06-03 10:21:39 PM)

FA, I think that we should do number 3 first, and if it fails, do number one.
I mean for real this time, or at least just kinda try!
Spazz
The DA: Dumbledore's Army
Didn't donate $500 dollars to INTL!

got way too much shit when she was here

Ballkicks: (+141 / -122)
Reg. Date: Feb 2003
Reply 24 of 40 (Originally posted on: 05-07-03 01:47:45 AM)

Quoted from Indisposition:
I'd have to say that cracking down on the shit threads would be best solution to the welfare of RS.

And about the thing about restricting people from viewing RS and TEZ, isn't it already like that? Because whenever I view INTL at school, I can never see the two. And even if it was restricted to post counts, there's still a fair bit of crap put out by people with 50+ posts.
do you log in at school? Or does your school have a system ste up that limits what you can and can't see?
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 2 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 2224 | Total Posts: 40 ]