Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Discussion Forums > The "Song A Day" Thread Forum > What is your stance on Anti-Drug propaganda? > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest. Moderated by: D drahnier
Page: [ 1 2 ] [ Thread Views: 2877 | Total Posts: 31 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
Scruffy - The Janitor
Alcoholics Anonymous
While anarchy can often turn a humdrum weekend into something unforgettable, eventually the mob must be kept from stealing the conch and killing Piggy.

Pimpin is just a haircut and a shave away!

Ballkicks: (+650 / -57)
Reg. Date: Jan 2003
(Originally posted on: 05-05-03 09:30:56 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

I have two reasons for asking. For one, I'm genuinely curious. Secondly, I have to write a five page paper on how I feel about it, and cite some sources.

I feel that American Anti-Drug propaganda is seriously flawed. The notion that seems to be commonplace is that if we scare kids bad enough they won't do drugs. So we see comercials telling us that if we smoke marijuana we're going to go off, get pregnant and get addicted to harder drugs. Besides, drugs ruin the lives of anyone they touch.

The major flaw with this theory is that if/when kids find out that the majority of these are lies, they lose trust. This is a major part of what, in my opinion, makes marijuana a "gateway drug". A kid figures "Wow, they were so incredibly wrong about pot, they must not know shit at all! That must mean that heroin is okay too!". Now I'm not saying this is the only factor, I'm just saying that it's the thought process of the un-educated and those who are lied to.

Anyways, discuss.
The true meaning of Alvistime is drinkin'. Drinkin' and revenge. Now drink with me deeply of the burbon scotch and rye until which time as we are fighting drunk. Then we shall find and beat the asses of the non-believers.

Why can't we not be sober? Just want to start this over. Why can't we drink forever? I just want to start this over.
PopRocks

I can buck my hips and suck neck while pinned under 250 lbs of man; I had him do me doggy style so we could both watch "When Harry Met Sally"

Ballkicks: (+233 / -15)
Reg. Date: Feb 2003
Reply 1 of 31 (Originally posted on: 05-05-03 10:15:01 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

i have a problem with the fact that those ads don't address the fact that alcohol is the bigger date rape drug, and the bigger gateway drug. sure, it may not be a good idea to drive after you smoke pot, but drunk drivers are far more dangerous. like that ad "1/3 of drivers who get tested for drugs test positive for marijuana": first off, they're only gonna test the drivers that seem like they're on drugs, so drivers who seem like they're on drugs are? second, pot can stay in your system for a month*, and the test has no way to tell how recently it entered your system, so those drivers very well could have smoked any time within a month of thier accident or whatever got them pulled over. i think in general, they don't have enough time to give out some decent information, so they use scare tactics and obscure stats instead of educating people, and they just piss teenagers (or whatever thier demographic is) off because they insult thier intelligence.

*edited, thanks to blacksun
i love sarah gourley
This reply was last edited on 05-06-03 03:35:53 AM by PopRocks.
blacksun

dooooooooood I'm like soooooo high

Ballkicks: (+74 / -90)
Reg. Date: Dec 2002
Reply 2 of 31 (Originally posted on: 05-05-03 10:27:06 PM)

Quote:
pot stays in your system for a month,

This really depends on how long and how much you've been smoking. If you only smoke occasionally, it can be out of your system within two weeks. Your point still stands, of course - testing positive for marijuana doesn't necessarily mean you're high.
Jota

Just plain sucking in 87.54% of posts

Ballkicks: (+108 / -202)
Reg. Date: May 2003
Reply 3 of 31 (Originally posted on: 05-05-03 11:07:35 PM)

I really hate the commercials where they try to tell you that if you buy drugs than you support terrorism because the drug dealers give their money to terrorists. Cause if you wanna play that game than anyone who buys a music CD is most likely supporting terrorism considering that they are putting money in an artist's pocket that most likely uses drugs.
My Karma Ran Over My Dogma
flaming arrow
INTL Premium Member

old time judge suck cock

Ballkicks: (+1266 / -281)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
Reply 4 of 31 (Originally posted on: 05-05-03 11:21:18 PM)

PopRocks summed it all up.

I really can't stand those commercials. They constantly hate on Marijuana for no reason. Marijuana, to my knowledge, has never directly killed anyone. Ever. Yet there's that one commercial, "Blahblah's brother was killed by a driver under the influence. Of marijuana." Well, fuck, he may very well have been under the influence of marijuana, and maybe he was also snorting a line of coke off a hooker's ass while trying to drive. And before that, he drank an entire gallon of gin.

They just piss me off.
Dr. Bashir: "I can't belive you're not pressing charges."
Garak: "Constable Odo and Captain Sisko expressed similar concerns but really doctor, there was no harm done."
Dr. Bashir: "They broke seven of your transverse ribs and fractured your clavicle."
Garak: "Ah, but I got off several cutting remarks which no doubt did serious damage to their egos."
Dr. Bashir: "Garak, this isn't funny."
Garak: "I'm serious doctor. Thanks to your administrations, I'm almost completely healed but the damage I did to them will last a lifetime."
Skye
INTL Premium Member
Droog Queen

I love Skye

Ballkicks: (+781 / -120)
Reply 5 of 31 (Originally posted on: 05-05-03 11:30:33 PM)

Scare tactics in propaganda are simply losing its flair now. No one believes that bullshit anymore, and information is now presented to us to form our own opinions. This anti-drug movement is a farce that does nothing but waste valuable air time. Of course, if the government could find a way to make a considerable profit off said drug, or if we, the people, altered public opinion substantially so that the stations would stop playing those bullshit stories, then our problem with the propaganda would be solved.

I don't use drugs because I choose not to. Not because of shitty anti-drug commercials or campaigns--but because I feel it's not for me. That's how people should make decisions, and if the decision doesn't work out for that person, so be it. The commercials are just annoyingly stereotypical and redundant.
Stolen from Tyr to describe my plight:

I feel inadequate when I see you being very witty. What's your secret? Drugs? Surgery? Purgatory?
Jota

Reply 6 of 31 (Originally posted on: 05-05-03 11:33:34 PM)

I think Marijuana should be legalized. Not only does it have minimal effects on your body, but the legilization of it would give the United States economy the boost it needs to get us out of this recession. I mean, the government would make billions off the legalization. Its win-win for the pot heads and the government.
Guru

Ballkicks: (+66 / -21)
Reg. Date: Apr 2002
Reply 7 of 31 (Originally posted on: 05-05-03 11:44:50 PM)

It depends. The commercials, and the rest of the propoganda against marijuana are getting to the point of being laughable. It should really be legalized. It's different for other drugs though. I know that they've ran commericials against meth and heroin around where I live, and generally I think it's a good thing to try to keep people off of the drugs like these.
"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."
- Friedrich Nietzsche
Sixten Sparre
Épater la bourgeoisie

wears neckerchiefs

Ballkicks: (+1184 / -307)
Reg. Date: Sep 2002
Reply 8 of 31 (Originally posted on: 05-06-03 01:14:19 AM)

We only get pamlets in Denmark, you don't see much campaign around here.......
TheShadowDawn
Cautiously optimistic

Draggy

Ballkicks: (+82 / -11)
Reg. Date: Apr 2002
Reply 9 of 31 (Originally posted on: 05-06-03 01:27:42 AM)

Quote:
The notion that seems to be commonplace is that if we scare kids bad enough they won't do drugs.

It worked on me. So there's one example you can look at. I don't think smoking marijuana's going to make me some crack junkie, but I can see that it could have an effect on my life. Then again, there are perfectly legal things like alcohol and ciggarettes that do the same thing, and possibly represent a larger threat.

The anti drug campaigns here in australia are pretty mild and mostly limited to schools rather than TV etc, so I can't rightly compare. But I never saw too much wrong with them. They're propaganda, sure, and propaganda is expressing one opinion to the exclusion of opposing views. So sure, it's not entirely ethical. But it works. And if what's being done potentially stops people making bad decisions, I don't see what's wrong with it. In the end it's the person who'll make the decison and they can still go ahead and enjoy marijuana if they want, no one is stupid enough to be completely brainwashed by government run ads.

So there you go, the views of a brainwashed, bratty conservative child.
I don't like small birds. They hop around so merrily outside my window, looking so innocent. But I know that secretly, they're watching my every move and plotting to beat me over the head with a large steel pipe and take my shoe.
Coca-Cola
INTL Premium Member

MY WIG-WAM WOKS!

Ballkicks: (+503 / -183)
Reply 10 of 31 (Originally posted on: 05-06-03 12:53:51 PM)

Pot is not a drug, and therefore should not be included in the list when they try to scare children. Considering that no one has ever died from smoking pot and thousands die from alcohol poisoning, they send out a warped message. Sure, heroin is bad - acid is bad - cocaine is bad - tell them that but by no means tell them not to smoke marijuana. They should be told not to smoke cigarettes before joints, because cigarettes actually kill people.

BTW, in Canada marijuna may be decriminalized as early as July which would probably loosen peoples' views on it. The one thing holding this country back is in U.S. who discourages the movement and thinks that it will increase illegal drug trading across the Canada / U.S. border.
Marijuana is living proof that big things do come in small packages.

Jesus - "men having sex with men = gay"
Zippo279 - "Lick and blow. Lick and blow."
shelper

Ballkicks: (+58 / -7)
Reg. Date: Oct 2002
Reply 11 of 31 (Originally posted on: 05-06-03 01:27:41 PM)

I feel it should be legalized.

And on another note, on my trip to the USA, i found out that most schools dont give sex education in school.
That they simply apply the attitude "if we wont tell them about it, maybe they wont do it."
I was amazed to hear this, is this even true though?
Jota

Reply 12 of 31 (Originally posted on: 05-06-03 01:33:10 PM)

Quoted from Coca-Cola:
Pot is not a drug, and therefore should not be included in the list when they try to scare children. Considering that no one has ever died from smoking pot and thousands die from alcohol poisoning, they send out a warped message. Sure, heroin is bad - acid is bad - cocaine is bad - tell them that but by no means tell them not to smoke marijuana. They should be told not to smoke cigarettes before joints, because cigarettes actually kill people.

You do realize that one joint contains more tar that causes lung cancer than four cigarrettes right? So there goes your whole theory that cigarrettes are worse. And just cause your a pot head doesn't mean its not a fucking drug dumbass.
Scruffy - The Janitor
Alcoholics Anonymous
While anarchy can often turn a humdrum weekend into something unforgettable, eventually the mob must be kept from stealing the conch and killing Piggy.

Reply 13 of 31 (Originally posted on: 05-06-03 02:04:40 PM)

Quoted from Jota:
Quoted from Coca-Cola:

You do realize that one joint contains more tar that causes lung cancer than four cigarrettes right? So there goes your whole theory that cigarrettes are worse. And just cause your a pot head doesn't mean its not a fucking drug dumbass.

Yeah, but do you see people smoking a pack of joints a day? No. And pot doesnt have all the carcinogens (sic) that cigarettes have. Pretty much anyone can get addicted to cigarettes, but only those who have addictive personalities and can get addicted to anything (yes, anything) get addicted to pot.
The true meaning of Alvistime is drinkin'. Drinkin' and revenge. Now drink with me deeply of the burbon scotch and rye until which time as we are fighting drunk. Then we shall find and beat the asses of the non-believers.

Why can't we not be sober? Just want to start this over. Why can't we drink forever? I just want to start this over.
mirthalac
INTL Alumni
stan "the single pringle" templeton

Prettiest Red Beard this side of the Canadian Border

Ballkicks: (+301 / -42)
Reply 14 of 31 (Originally posted on: 05-06-03 02:35:52 PM)

Quoted from Jota:
Quoted from Coca-Cola:

here's a real life example that shows you're silly.

i smoke both pot and cigs. i smoke pot every day. i smoke ONE spliff every day.

i smoke 4-7 cigs a day.

would i be better off quitting smoking cigs or pot?

hmmmmmmmm
Bobby Crosby's
Home of mid-paced viking metal
OLD SKOOL 4 LIFE KREW
ba
INTL Premium Member
Captain of the Cool Kids

and i said, a\re you a gay ass fucker who can't take a baseball up the ass you faggot???? and he said yes........

Ballkicks: (+456 / -62)
Reg. Date: Apr 2003
Reply 15 of 31 (Originally posted on: 05-06-03 02:56:10 PM)

I think places like Amsterdam (sp?) hs the right idea with dealing with drugs.

~Brit
blacksun

dooooooooood I'm like soooooo high

Ballkicks: (+74 / -90)
Reply 16 of 31 (Originally posted on: 05-06-03 03:39:53 PM)

Quote:
Pot is not a drug

A drug is any chemical substance affects the central nervous system and causes changes in behavior. (or so I've been taught)
Pertti Susilainen
Head Priest

mr. sukkit

Ballkicks: (+924 / -57)
Reply 17 of 31 (Originally posted on: 05-06-03 04:12:05 PM)

Pot is a drug. Period.

But it's not really that dangerous. It's not addictive at all - cigaretters are much worse because of all the shit they have to be addictive. See, I smoke pot once in a while. I used to smoke every weekend for a couple of months, and when I decided I didn't like it enough to spend my money on it I had no problem quitting.

Now tell someone who smokes cigarettes to quit. Come on, tell. COME ON.
This world is breeding cold, ridicule, only good for a fuck - Bad Astronaut
Scruffy - The Janitor
Alcoholics Anonymous

Reply 18 of 31 (Originally posted on: 05-06-03 04:23:48 PM)

I'll admit, I've said the phrase "I don't do drugs...I just smoke pot." Granted it wasnt meant seriously. People who say that seriously (which, I've discovered, is suprisingly few. At least around here.) are the kind of people who tend to give pot-smokers a bad name. Marijuana is just as much a drug as heroin and alcohol. And, as with all things, some drugs are worse than others.

Mr Pixies
Scuba.

Ballkicks: (+490 / -96)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
Reply 19 of 31 (Originally posted on: 05-06-03 04:33:15 PM)

I love the one commercial where the girl is at home and she gets a call from her friends that are at the movie theater, and they ask if she can come, and she can't because she's grounded for smoking pot. It's like, OMG! SMOKE POT AND YOU WILL GET GROUNDED, AND YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO SEE THE NEW, KICK ASS, LIZZY MAGUIRE MOVIE!

Marijuana can do lot's of good things, as well as bad things. If it was legalized, it would do some good, in that, right now, marijuana is not safe. You don't really know what's in it. If it was legalized, at least the gov't can watch over it. But, if it was legalized, I think it would be (somewhat) expensive. I mean if people spend $20 on a dime, I'm sure the gov't won't hold back on charging a lot.

Also, hemp can be used as paper, (and other materials) instead of trees, although, it doesn't have to be legalized to do that. Listen to/download Jello Biafra's Grow More Pot, it's really interesting.
VAGINIAN

I'm entertained, but I'd rather be enlightened.

Scruffy - The Janitor
Alcoholics Anonymous

Reply 20 of 31 (Originally posted on: 05-06-03 04:40:05 PM)

Quoted from Mr Pixies:
I love the one commercial where the girl is at home and she gets a call from her friends that are at the movie theater, and they ask if she can come, and she can't because she's grounded for smoking pot. It's like, OMG! SMOKE POT AND YOU WILL GET GROUNDED, AND YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO SEE THE NEW, KICK ASS, LIZZY MAGUIRE MOVIE!

Marijuana can do lot's of good things, as well as bad things. If it was legalized, it would do some good, in that, right now, marijuana is not safe. You don't really know what's in it. If it was legalized, at least the gov't can watch over it. But, if it was legalized, I think it would be (somewhat) expensive. I mean if people spend $20 on a dime, I'm sure the gov't won't hold back on charging a lot.

Also, hemp can be used as paper, (and other materials) instead of trees, although, it doesn't have to be legalized to do that. Listen to/download Jello Biafra's Grow More Pot, it's really interesting.

I dont think the government could get away with charging too much for it. If they made it too expensice, "private dealers" would just continue business as usual. They would have to give prices that would make people feel it wouldn't be worth the effort to grow on their own.

ba
INTL Premium Member
Captain of the Cool Kids

and i said, a\re you a gay ass fucker who can't take a baseball up the ass you faggot???? and he said yes........

Ballkicks: (+456 / -62)
Reg. Date: Apr 2003
Reply 21 of 31 (Originally posted on: 05-06-03 05:07:56 PM)

Just have the government sell it at the DMV... People will get so fed up waiting in lines for it that they'll just quit. :p

~Brit
Spazz
The DA: Dumbledore's Army
Didn't donate $500 dollars to INTL!

got way too much shit when she was here

Ballkicks: (+141 / -122)
Reply 22 of 31 (Originally posted on: 05-07-03 01:24:51 AM)

Quoted from British Agent:
Just have the government sell it at the DMV... People will get so fed up waiting in lines for it that they'll just quit. :p

~Brit
Har har.... um yeah

Hell you all do realize that be it good or bad it shoudl be leagalized so the US can get more money in its deep ass pockets....[/money grubbing asshole]

Pot is better than liquor on the human body and people buy it at high prices and alot..... Make it legal duh.
Coca-Cola
INTL Premium Member

MY WIG-WAM WOKS!

Ballkicks: (+503 / -183)
Reply 23 of 31 (Originally posted on: 05-07-03 12:14:54 PM)

Yeah they should sell it like in a pack of joints, just like a pack of cigarettes. They could slap taxes on it too and make even more money.
Marijuana is living proof that big things do come in small packages.

Jesus - "men having sex with men = gay"
Zippo279 - "Lick and blow. Lick and blow."
mirthalac
INTL Alumni
stan "the single pringle" templeton

Prettiest Red Beard this side of the Canadian Border

Ballkicks: (+301 / -42)
Reply 24 of 31 (Originally posted on: 05-07-03 12:23:17 PM)

Quoted from Coca-Cola:
Yeah they should sell it like in a pack of joints, just like a pack of cigarettes. They could slap taxes on it too and make even more money.

no. they should sell it bare, unrolled. like rolling tobacco.
Bobby Crosby's
Home of mid-paced viking metal
OLD SKOOL 4 LIFE KREW
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 2 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 2877 | Total Posts: 31 ]