Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Discussion Forums > The "Song A Day" Thread Forum > Who's Got Mail? Questions for AOL users: is it worth the money? > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest. Moderated by: D drahnier
Page: [ 1 2 ] [ Thread Views: 1549 | Total Posts: 33 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
Mojo
Velocity BITCH

Big Mamma Bitch

Ballkicks: (+192 / -66)
Reg. Date: Dec 2002
(Originally posted on: 04-28-03 12:22:32 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

I got a laptop for the kitchen and lost my Juno installation disc, so I installed the coaster that came with. You know, the obligatory AOL disc. I Installed it long enough to download the perfectly servicable Juno platinum, for which I pay an academic $9.95 on a bank statement I never see. After a couple of years of chumping it out on Net Zero, I figured it was worth it to spend the money.

For that reason, I never had any use for AOL and never would have considered shelling out $23.95 per month. However, now that I've got it sparkling on my desktop, awaiting its deletion when I call the special trial number and cut the cord, well, I'm sort of getting attached to it. I have to admit, it's pretty damned useful-looking. Juno doesn't do half the shit AOL does, for exactly half the hypothetical money that I never see on my Visa debit anyway.

Four years ago, I wouldn't have known what to do with all the choices on AOL anyway, but now I understand how I would go about actually using a lot of the features if I were paying for them. Serious drawbacks would be, well, other people on AOL, who seem somehow to be categorically in it for the purpose of striking up chat by the millions.
I chose not to post this in the Geek's Corner because it's a money question, hypothetically. Do you and your familyfeel like you get your money's worth on AOL? Feel free to go ask them, as well.

Thanks.
Why settle for boring prose when you can say it with a grinning skeleton?[/w]
[w]Mingan: I like it, whatever Mojo wants to do to me is fine in my book.
Vervet: Mojo, Momma, that gives me the desire to participate in an incestually sexy relationship with you. Please say yes.
Smokey: Mojo - I want to bang her.
Mojo: Hoo-ya!

dramamine
INTL Premium Member
<b>Eating Pussy Since 1995</b>

Travelling, swallowing,

Ballkicks: (+286 / -39)
Reg. Date: Oct 2002
Reply 1 of 33 (Originally posted on: 04-28-03 12:26:45 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

AOL = No good
Inspiring and Always Kind Words Of Melanie
"its more funniest"
"i dont think i have an appetite for pussy today."
"what? did you say something? I was ignoring you."
"stop spreading your bitch disease"
"god you're slow."
"if i'm a whore, what would i need witha dildo"
"fuck you."
"god damn it. why are you so difficult?"
Fisher
INTL Premium Member
jhsdfi;loiha

Fishdick

Ballkicks: (+439 / -139)
Reg. Date: Jun 2002
Reply 2 of 33 (Originally posted on: 04-28-03 12:35:15 PM)

What do you mean by "Juno doesn't do half the shit AOL does"? The only thing that is actually useful is email. You can download AIM and do the rest with Internet Explorer.

AOL is a crock of shit, if you ask me.
dramamine
INTL Premium Member
<b>Eating Pussy Since 1995</b>

Travelling, swallowing,

Ballkicks: (+286 / -39)
Reg. Date: Oct 2002
Reply 3 of 33 (Originally posted on: 04-28-03 12:36:48 PM)

Quoted from Fisher:
What do you mean by "Juno doesn't do half the shit AOL does"? The only thing that is actually useful is email. You can download AIM and do the rest with Internet Explorer.

AOL is a crock of shit, if you ask me.

Agreed. Mojo, AOL is for losers. Don't be a loser.
Inspiring and Always Kind Words Of Melanie
"its more funniest"
"i dont think i have an appetite for pussy today."
"what? did you say something? I was ignoring you."
"stop spreading your bitch disease"
"god you're slow."
"if i'm a whore, what would i need witha dildo"
"fuck you."
"god damn it. why are you so difficult?"
PopRocks

I can buck my hips and suck neck while pinned under 250 lbs of man; I had him do me doggy style so we could both watch "When Harry Met Sally"

Ballkicks: (+233 / -15)
Reg. Date: Feb 2003
Reply 4 of 33 (Originally posted on: 04-28-03 12:40:20 PM)

in middle school my folks had an aol account for me, but then my mom discontinued it because it is too much, and she never used anything but email. in highschool i used netzero and then juno for the $10 a month. i think it's a great deal. i set up my aunt on aol because it is good for beginners, and she's about as computer illiterate as they come (i'm talking didn't know how to type illiterate) and she can afford it. the only reason i don't use juno now is cause i'm at college and the internet connectipn is included. it seems like most of the features aol offers you can download for free from elsewhere, but what, specifically, are the ones you like to use? i say if it is easier for you, and it'll cost you time not to have it, another $13 a month for aol might not be terrible. in my experience, it's not worth it, but all i use the internet for is email, ims, hosting pictures and visiting websites.
i love sarah gourley
Mojo
Velocity BITCH

Big Mamma Bitch

Reply 5 of 33 (Originally posted on: 04-28-03 01:03:08 PM)

Well, see, that's the thing. It would be useful to me in converting and sending sound files and posting uploads with my job. There are a lot of files that run into problems uploading on my connection, and I have to sometimes log off and come back in under a different telephone dial-up. I've been able to do so pretty smoothly under the basic trial package of v.8 or whatever.

I might actually be a loser.

See, Jeff? Everybody's living the angst. That's pop, not art.
Vervet: Mojo, Momma, that gives me the desire to participate in an incestually sexy relationship with you. Please say yes.

Kitabatake
Fishing with Firecrackers

2efficient4spacebar

Ballkicks: (+450 / -46)
Reg. Date: May 2002
Reply 6 of 33 (Originally posted on: 04-28-03 01:48:46 PM)

get CDDB to convert sound files.
If we do not hang together, we will hang seperately.
Si Nep

Ballkicks: (+15 / -100)
Reply 7 of 33 (Originally posted on: 04-28-03 01:53:38 PM)

Skip AOL
Skip Juno/NetZero if you're having trouble using it.

Find a nice local/state server (they always charge less than AOL) and use that. Their system might be a bit different, but once you get used to it, you can do pretty much anything that AOL or Juno offers. Plus, quite a few of them give you server space for a homepage, and the tech support is generally good.
I am sitting here thinking how nice it is that wrinkles don't hurt.
mirthalac
INTL Alumni
stan "the single pringle" templeton

Prettiest Red Beard this side of the Canadian Border

Ballkicks: (+301 / -42)
Reg. Date: Sep 2002
Reply 8 of 33 (Originally posted on: 04-28-03 02:03:53 PM)

Mojo,

AOL offers users a semi-neatly bundled package that i refuse to use. i personally prefer to know what my browser/email client/ftp client is doing rather than having it glossed over by a slick interface. this is just me.

i personally pay twice the advertised $24 a month, but i pay for DSL service that is always on, doesn't tie up my phone line, has about 40-50 times the bandwidth of dialup and all that jazz. my DSL company lets me do what i damned well please with what i buy from them, BANDWIDTH. i do not pay for an email client, a web browser or the like integrated into my DSL package. I am allowed to choose my applications as i see fit, not as dictated to me by the company i do business with. this is not to say that AOL doesn't make a good package for the non-serious user. their business model dictates that they're NOT going after people like me, they want to appeal to the lowest common denominator (which kinda pisses me off because it gives internet access to people that i'd rather keep off of the internet).

So, what is my point? with AOL you're paying more than other services for two reasons. ONE: you're buying a pre-packaged experence. your interaction with AOL's client is typically one of ease. this is because they have done their damnedest to make it super easy to use.
TWO: you are paying for less freedom on the internet because you have made the concious decision to do things with LESS hassle, less ability to fuck things up.

Should everyone try AOL? I think at least once in their lives, people should give the hottest thing going a spin, if nothing else, to remind themselves why they're NOT using AOL. Hell, i tried AOL for all of 20 minutes. When I couldn't DO what i wanted to DO... that sealed it for me, i was not going to buy their service at any point. It's certainly not for everyone.
Bobby Crosby's
Home of mid-paced viking metal
OLD SKOOL 4 LIFE KREW
Mojo
Velocity BITCH

Big Mamma Bitch

Reply 9 of 33 (Originally posted on: 04-28-03 02:13:53 PM)

First of all, +k for everyone and a round of drinks at the bar. Thank you for taking this thread seriously and answering. If I actually burst into flames for giving siNep a +karma, I want you all to know that I appreciated your responses.

Yeah.
See, that's the thing, though, it's not like I'm jumping on the bandwagon, here. I mean, the company's over ten years old, right? I've been skating along making do because I'd rather go the hard way than shell out for the hype. So, trendy might not be the best reason for doing it.

However, my mom pays for Concentric in addition to Juno, and uses the different features of each to access pretty much everything she wants to do. It's like anything, I guess, how much are you willing to pay for convenience? I've found that I'm a person who will spend the money if I think it'll save me time.

Well, I have 45 days to try it out. So far nobody's Aimed me, so I'm not catching the loser train so far. *chuckle*

Zippo
pooooooop

Leveling entire cities with her magnificient girl-cock

Ballkicks: (+1097 / -49)
Reg. Date: Nov 2002
Reply 10 of 33 (Originally posted on: 04-28-03 02:45:35 PM)

Quoted from Dramamine:
Agreed. Mojo, AOL is for losers.

I've been an AOL loser since 1992.

The only features that I use on America Online are e-mail and Instant Messanger, both of which can be accessed for free using a less expensive ISP. The rest of the "features" that AOL provides are completely worthless.

I've wanted to kick AOL to the curb for the longest time, but since I've had the same screenname and e-mail address for the past eleven years, it would be too much of a hassle to switch now.

Mojo, just say NO to AOL.
I'm bored - Derob mi
Melanie
Banned for having ideals.

I boned Sandamnit

Ballkicks: (+43 / -6)
Reg. Date: Jul 2002
Reply 11 of 33 (Originally posted on: 04-28-03 03:07:59 PM)

I'd never waste money on AOL. Why pay $23-something a month for a service that spams you with 300 of its own pop-ups everytime you sign on?
whoraclesarah: It's fun to be losers
whoraclesarah: i'm a serial-killer :)
Mingan
INTL Alumni
Mmm Skyscraper I Love You

Why are we having this wedding? because Abraham Lincoln, of course!

Ballkicks: (+637 / -48)
Reply 12 of 33 (Originally posted on: 04-28-03 03:18:38 PM)

I like how I have no clue what you're talking about.
I stared in God's eyes. He blinked.

There is not a single shred of evidence to support the notion that life is serious.
Melanie

I boned Sandamnit

Reply 13 of 33 (Originally posted on: 04-28-03 04:04:59 PM)

What I'm talking about or the whole thread in general?
Mingan
INTL Alumni

Reply 14 of 33 (Originally posted on: 04-28-03 04:05:35 PM)

the whole thread, honey. you make perfect sense.

There is not a single shred of evidence to support the notion that life is serious.
Melanie

I boned Sandamnit

Reply 15 of 33 (Originally posted on: 04-28-03 04:09:28 PM)

*giggle*

Mingan called me honey. Take that, Mojo, you silly AOL loser. :p
Mingan
INTL Alumni

Reply 16 of 33 (Originally posted on: 04-28-03 04:12:15 PM)

my lady isn't the jealous kind.

Melanie

I boned Sandamnit

Reply 17 of 33 (Originally posted on: 04-28-03 04:32:58 PM)

Ooh, rejected! LOL IM SUCH A FAG!!

Wasn't jealousy, just arrogance.
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

gotta get that VICTORY ROYALE #gamer #memes #LoL

Ballkicks: (+1782 / -130)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
Reply 18 of 33 (Originally posted on: 04-28-03 06:34:07 PM)

AOL is awful.

It takes FOREVER to sign on, and when you finally do, it's really slow.

Mojo, do some research for a local ISP and I'm sure you'll come up with something better than AOL. After all, it doesn't take much.
Joanie gave me Noel to hold while she ate her eggs. What an ungainly package: incessant squirming, foul discharges from every orifice, and you have to hold up his drooping head or it will fall right off. They should pass these things around in high-school health class, if they really want to scare kids into using protection.
Mojo
Velocity BITCH

Big Mamma Bitch

Reply 19 of 33 (Originally posted on: 04-28-03 08:05:17 PM)

Okay, I'll call the special stupid number and cancel in the morning. I've already downloaded AIM, so I think I might get to keep it.

Oh, not jealous at all. *smile* first Jesus, then Melanie. I'm game, honey.

Mingan
INTL Alumni

Reply 20 of 33 (Originally posted on: 04-28-03 08:11:22 PM)

this didn't exactly turn out the way I wanted it, but it's all good.

I am the fingernail on the chalkboard of life.
Mojo
Velocity BITCH

Big Mamma Bitch

Reply 21 of 33 (Originally posted on: 04-28-03 08:22:08 PM)

*blush* I thought I was being supportive of you. *laugh*

*our business is better*

Baggy_Brad
FIGJAM

Cool.

Ballkicks: (+1431 / -135)
Reply 22 of 33 (Originally posted on: 04-29-03 04:14:53 AM)

Local ISPs all the way.
The REAL Brad, according to the people:
"Nad rhymes with Brad....And they're both the same thing...hahahahahahaha!!" - Sarah | "UR A BIG FAG BRAD" - FA
"i don't think brad has a womb.." - Izzy | "yeah but you're BRAD. so ... yeah" - Mingan | "Brad, my hatred for you grows with each day" - Vervet
"i dont gte it but ithink it isnt vry nice ." - Si Nep | "Brad, your life must be a sad existance." - Stormraider
"You make me want to be a better man." - Danielle | "I'm not sure which Brad you are from KoRT, seriously. You ARE from KoRT, right?" - Soccy
"Liar." - Melanie | "you are filthy with disease." - The Winged Cock |"WHO ARE YOU?! STOP STALKING ME!!!" - Zuri
emtilt

the cow of horses

Ballkicks: (+486 / -41)
Reply 23 of 33 (Originally posted on: 04-29-03 03:29:00 PM)

Yes, by all means, get rid of AOL. Find a local ISP. It will be cheaper and I garuntee if the service is even remotely decent you can do anything you could do with AOL, without it. AOL is a total ripoff.
Je parle anglais.
Je ne parle pas français.
MurphGuitar

Ballkicks: (+33 / -11)
Reg. Date: Apr 2002
Reply 24 of 33 (Originally posted on: 04-29-03 03:41:30 PM)

The AOL pop-ups aren't so bad. I'm liking it a bit more lately because they have Sessions@AOL with bands performing live and also a library of music videos you can watch whenever you want (this is for AOL broadband). One problem is, AOL is adding three processes in the background on my computer. I chatted with an AOL tech support guy and asked him about two of them and he said they weren't from AOL, so he's either a shameless liar or inexcusably ignorant or possibly both. I know they're AOL tasks because Ad-aware tracked the file path of them.
Defy me at your peril.

AKA Sir William of Pork
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 2 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 1549 | Total Posts: 33 ]