Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Discussion Forums > The "Song A Day" Thread Forum > Newbie Avatars > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest. Moderated by: D drahnier
Page: [ 1 2 ] [ Thread Views: 1574 | Total Posts: 34 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Subscribe To Thread
Newbie Avatars
This poll has expired.
Brilliant! 18 votes, 64.286%
I don't care. 6 votes, 21.429%
That is the worst idea ever. 4 votes, 14.286%
Totals: 28 votes, 103.058%
Modify Poll
Air Bud
Internet Superstar

Some plants even masturbate into their own vaginas in order to reproduce.

Ballkicks: (+918 / -56)
Reg. Date: Sep 2001
(Originally posted on: 05-17-02 09:57:10 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

When you have less than 50 posts, you are not allowed to upload files, yet you are allowed to upload avatars. I came to the realization that the logic behind that is fucked up.

In order to fix this, I propose enacting a new rule that disallows people with less than 50 posts to choose their own avatars. Yet they will not go without avatars. You see, people with more than 50 posts will be able to upload and change the avatars of the people with less than 50 posts to whatever they want. This method will work the same way as title changing.

Here's what it boils down to...

If you have more than 50 posts, you will be able to select your own avatar AND you'll be able to choose the avatar of people with less than 50 posts. If you have less than 50 posts, you will not be able to change your own avatar.

....vote!
"Some people turn to drugs such as heroin or cocaine for their brain-wasting, body-killing, soul-destroying effects. Others turn to religion for its brain-wasting, body-killing, soul-destroying effects."
- Rich "Lowtax" Kyanka, Something Awful
Squareknight
I will never be independant

XX_mira_fan_Xx

Ballkicks: (+181 / -100)
Reg. Date: May 2002
Reply 1 of 34 (Originally posted on: 05-17-02 09:59:03 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

Might this make Newbies go on posting sprees?

You know, in a desperate attempt to get 50 posts!
The Devonians will prevail over all...and you will be our first example..
Air Bud
Internet Superstar

Reply 2 of 34 (Originally posted on: 05-17-02 10:00:36 PM)

Wouldn't they already do the same in order to reach 50 posts and upload files?
"Some people turn to drugs such as heroin or cocaine for their brain-wasting, body-killing, soul-destroying effects. Others turn to religion for its brain-wasting, body-killing, soul-destroying effects."
Tyr

I cybered with Kayte

Ballkicks: (+479 / -130)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
Reply 3 of 34 (Originally posted on: 05-17-02 10:01:16 PM)

He has a point. I don't feel like reading "OMG OMG POST +1 CUM BOOBY FUCK".
"That's all war is -the desire to project the penis into other people's affairs. You don't have to be an analyst to see the foreign recognition policy at work. It goes something like this- WHAT!? THEY HAVE BIGGER DICKS!? BOMB THEM!" George Carlin
Air Bud
Internet Superstar

Reply 4 of 34 (Originally posted on: 05-17-02 10:02:48 PM)

Quoted from Tyr:
He has a point. I don't feel like reading "OMG OMG POST +1 CUM BOOBY FUCK".

Then they'd become a spammer (thus ensuring they'd never reach 50 posts) or banned accordingly.
stew

thick soup

Ballkicks: (+62 / -7)
Reg. Date: Apr 2002
Reply 5 of 34 (Originally posted on: 05-17-02 10:07:48 PM)

Wouldn't changing other peoples avatars encourage people uploading constantly, like custom titles with bandwidth?
I am ahead.
I am advanced.
I am the first mammal to wear pants.
Yeah.
Air Bud
Internet Superstar

Reply 6 of 34 (Originally posted on: 05-17-02 10:09:25 PM)

Quoted from stew:
Wouldn't changing other peoples avatars encourage people uploading constantly, like custom titles with bandwidth?

Fuck. You got me there... bastard.
Salamando
The Reel RS Krew
RULE BREAKER!

LOL karma palindrome

Ballkicks: (+145 / -473)
Reg. Date: May 2003
Reply 7 of 34 (Originally posted on: 05-17-02 10:11:14 PM)

So we won't be able to change them to Shit-Sex pictures, will we?
SALLY OWNED FA!!!!!! -Wheezy

More books by Ferret.
Child molesting: So easy even a priest can do it.
Pluveto

Rain Man

Ballkicks: (+164 / -45)
Reply 8 of 34 (Originally posted on: 05-17-02 10:11:24 PM)

Brilliant.
drahnier
INTL VIP
:iceburn:

Ballkicks: (+886 / -232)
Reply 9 of 34 (Originally posted on: 05-17-02 10:12:43 PM)

hahaha!
i see some funny possibilities...

when will this feature be done?
i'm so tired, i cant sleep
i am a liar and a thief
i sit and drink pennyroyal tea
i'm anaemic royalty
Air Bud
Internet Superstar

Reply 10 of 34 (Originally posted on: 05-17-02 10:14:18 PM)

Quoted from insane_dreamer:
when will this feature be done?

After what stew mentioned (and I had completely forgotten about), I'm not sure if I'm going to do it or not. It would waste a hell of a lot more disk space and bandwidth than I'd want to deal with further down the road.

Damn you, stew. Damn you!
Malign

Ballkicks: (+5 / -0)
Reply 11 of 34 (Originally posted on: 05-17-02 10:15:01 PM)

Darn... That'd be quite unfair to some of us, because I'm not a postaholic and I guess reaching a post number of 50 will require me of a long time...
stew

thick soup

Ballkicks: (+62 / -7)
Reply 12 of 34 (Originally posted on: 05-17-02 10:15:06 PM)

You could make it like every week, like the 24 hour custom title limit.

Or ignore me.
I am ahead.
I am advanced.
I am the first mammal to wear pants.
Yeah.
dufus

Ballkicks: (+24 / -7)
Reply 13 of 34 (Originally posted on: 05-17-02 10:18:07 PM)

You could store each of those user avatars centrally, so only one 3rd-party avatar file is stored at once for any one user.
Stormraider
User is currently banned until further notice.

im gay

Reply 14 of 34 (Originally posted on: 05-17-02 10:27:15 PM)

Why don't you just have a set avatar for them? Or have a small group of four or five avatars and the one most apt is given to them until they get 50 posts.

I for one would enjoy seeing a newbie with a big picture stating "Fresh Meat for the Grinder" as his avatar.
Stormraider- Veteran of such campaigns as HG, IGOD, SPSW, and the infamous DY.
The Proud, the Free, the last prince of Otnot
Air Bud
Internet Superstar

Reply 15 of 34 (Originally posted on: 05-17-02 10:29:35 PM)

Quoted from Stormraider:
Why don't you just have a set avatar for them? Or have a small group of four or five avatars and the one most apt is given to them until they get 50 posts.

Actually, that's probably the most plausible idea to aim for with this.

Change of plans: WE NEED NEWBIE AVATARS!

Time for a new thread!

EDIT: Screw it, no new thread, just post obnoxious, newbie avatars here, if you come up with some ideas.

Quote:
Um... What about people with those negative post counts? How did they get negative? Are you not going to give them an avatar?

I made a thread a while back, "Post here and your post count drops by 500", it's in the Hall of Shame, check it out. Since they willingly made their post counts negative, they will be subject to the same "less than 50" rule.
Malign

Ballkicks: (+5 / -0)
Reply 16 of 34 (Originally posted on: 05-17-02 10:30:27 PM)

Um... What about people with those negative post counts? How did they get negative? Are you not going to give them an avatar?
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

gotta get that VICTORY ROYALE #gamer #memes #LoL

Ballkicks: (+1782 / -130)
Reply 17 of 34 (Originally posted on: 05-17-02 10:32:38 PM)

Can you make it so that we can only have one uploaded avatar for someone else at one time?

Like, we get a folder, and it can only have one file in it. When we upload a new one, it deletes the old one.

So we would have a directory /users/ice/newbavatar/newb.gif

And say we wanted to change someones avatar, it would automatically use the file in the /newbavatar/ folder. This is hard to explain.
The position being taken is not to be mistaken for attempted education or righteous accusation, only a description, just an observation of the pitiful condition of our degeneration.
boutitben
INTL Premium Member
Captain Naked Santa

LBH was here.

Ballkicks: (+186 / -18)
Reply 18 of 34 (Originally posted on: 05-17-02 10:40:22 PM)

I voted for the worst idea ever, although it's not really the worst idea. Trust me I've seen worse. Just it was the only negative option.

*goes avatar hunting*
Look how cool I am!
uselessinformation
I wasted my fucking time earning this title

cutesy gonzo journalism reference

Ballkicks: (+368 / -31)
Reply 19 of 34 (Originally posted on: 05-17-02 11:56:06 PM)

I kinda like my avatar, but my post count will likely never reach 50. My vote goes to "worst idea ever", unless I can get some sort of immunity to this.
"In two hundred years the NRA will be reduced to a dusty handgun exhibit in the "Cause and Effect: The End Of Idiots in America" section of local museums. Yes, it's a long time to wait, but it will happen."
-Mary Dugger, in The History of Lesbian Hair
Air Bud
Internet Superstar

Reply 20 of 34 (Originally posted on: 05-18-02 12:00:16 AM)

Well, there's another way to do it. A way that isn't based on post count, but rather on the amount of time you've been registered. Like if you've been registered for less than a month, people can change your avatar, regardless of how many posts you have.
Muzta
Lord of the Dance
Negative Association was the name of my hot tub

Ballkicks: (+140 / -19)
Reply 21 of 34 (Originally posted on: 05-18-02 12:02:46 AM)

*looks at useless*

*smiles a big smile*

sounds like a plan to me
www.interestingnonetheless.com
uselessinformation
I wasted my fucking time earning this title

cutesy gonzo journalism reference

Ballkicks: (+368 / -31)
Reply 22 of 34 (Originally posted on: 05-18-02 12:22:51 AM)

Having it based on time seems more fair to me.
"In two hundred years the NRA will be reduced to a dusty handgun exhibit in the "Cause and Effect: The End Of Idiots in America" section of local museums. Yes, it's a long time to wait, but it will happen."
-Mary Dugger, in The History of Lesbian Hair
Pascal
The Alpha Nerd

I love you, but why must you love the law?

Ballkicks: (+419 / -41)
Reply 23 of 34 (Originally posted on: 05-18-02 12:56:57 AM)

I have 23 posts and I think this idea kicks ass...
[size=1]Seeing the Marvels of the Universe for less than thirty Altairian dollars a day[/size]
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

gotta get that VICTORY ROYALE #gamer #memes #LoL

Ballkicks: (+1782 / -130)
Reply 24 of 34 (Originally posted on: 05-18-02 01:25:49 AM)

I don't like the time thing.

Like, we have people like Pascal who never post yet have been registered forever.

I was registered at the IGod for like a month before I started posting.
The position being taken is not to be mistaken for attempted education or righteous accusation, only a description, just an observation of the pitiful condition of our degeneration.
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 2 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 1574 | Total Posts: 34 ]