Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Discussion Forums > The "Song A Day" Thread Forum > Signing up for Selective Service > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest. Moderated by: D drahnier
Page: [ 1 2 ] [ Thread Views: 2028 | Total Posts: 30 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
boutitben
INTL Premium Member
Captain Naked Santa

LBH was here.

Ballkicks: (+186 / -18)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
(Originally posted on: 12-18-02 09:40:44 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

I turned 18 last week, and like three seconds after it was my birthday, the government had already sent me a letter or something requiring me to sign up for selective service. So, anyway, I filled out the card and sent it in.

There isn't a draft right now, is there? If so, is there any way I can get out of it if I was somehow selected? [being in college next year] I sure wouldn't want to be involved in one of the US' wars at the rate it's going right now.

It's pretty crazy that the penalty for not registering is a felony and a fine of up to $250,000 and possible prison time. So much for such a "free nation".
Ztolk
INTL Premium Member
Rawr.

definitely threw the blue lego

Ballkicks: (+838 / -47)
Reply 1 of 30 (Originally posted on: 12-18-02 09:43:01 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

Come to Canada.
boutitben
INTL Premium Member
Captain Naked Santa

LBH was here.

Ballkicks: (+186 / -18)
Reply 2 of 30 (Originally posted on: 12-18-02 09:44:21 PM)

That's what I told my parents when they asked me about the Army. I think they thought I was joking.
Tyr

I cybered with Kayte

Ballkicks: (+479 / -130)
Reply 3 of 30 (Originally posted on: 12-18-02 09:57:36 PM)

My father missed the draft by a month.
"...Try. Try. Try some more. Look how much you're failing." -Wheezy

[[/w]I think, therefore I make bullshit philosophic generalizations.[w]]
Marcher
Background Forummers

I'm jealous of Jesus.

Ballkicks: (+344 / -47)
Reg. Date: Apr 2002
Reply 4 of 30 (Originally posted on: 12-18-02 10:02:43 PM)

I don't think there's a draft now. Could come back though, I suppose.

diabetes = no draft for me anyway
peach
I get enamoured

Just call me "Mom"

Ballkicks: (+735 / -175)
Reg. Date: Jul 2002
Reply 5 of 30 (Originally posted on: 12-18-02 10:14:11 PM)

I'll keep a safe house for all of you war-refugee's up here in Alberta.
son of reinhard: the penis of the female??
Flaming Arrow 55: i want to get a girl drunk and have her eat out my ass, then ask her how it tasted when she wakes up the next morning. it'd freak her out.
son of reinhard: I make baloon animals with my cock
Etonicas

Ballkicks: (+11 / -4)
Reg. Date: Nov 2002
Reply 6 of 30 (Originally posted on: 12-19-02 01:14:39 AM)

Don't worry, there isn't a draft currently.

Quoted from boutitben:

It's pretty crazy that the penalty for not registering is a felony and a fine of up to $250,000 and possible prison time. So much for such a "free nation".

I don't think it's crazy. If there was no one to defend the country, you may not have your freedoms anymore (well, what we have of them) so signing up is the least you can do.
flaming arrow
INTL Premium Member

old time judge suck cock

Ballkicks: (+1266 / -281)
Reply 7 of 30 (Originally posted on: 12-19-02 12:07:33 PM)

What is Selective Service, anyways? I've seen the commercials and it always freaked me out when they said "IT'S THE LAW!!"

Quote:
I don't think it's crazy. If there was no one to defend the country, you may not have your freedoms anymore (well, what we have of them) so signing up is the least you can do.

Hahahaha!
FLAMING ARROW
| "People suck." - Andy Richter
| "Is man one of God's blunders? Or is God one of man's blunders?" - Friedrich Nietzsche
| "We are now entering Hell. Please keep your hands and elbows inside the car." - Daria
| "Don't worry. I don't have low self-esteem. I have low esteem for everyone else." - Daria
| "I have as much authority as the Pope, I just don't have as many people who believe it." - George Carlin
| "I would never want to be a member of a group whose symbol was a guy nailed to two pieces of wood." - George Carlin
| "Getting a free compliment is like finding a penny on the sidewalk. Extorting a compliment is like stealing a penny from that annoying blind kid." - Christopher Titus
Pertti Susilainen
Head Priest

mr. sukkit

Ballkicks: (+924 / -57)
Reg. Date: Dec 2002
Reply 8 of 30 (Originally posted on: 12-19-02 12:23:43 PM)

Anyway you can get a prorrogation for being in college, can't you?
It should be volunteer, though. There are lots of better ways to serve your country if you feel you must (that's another issue).
Stoffel
stoffel sucks; 3ms owns + is returning for round 2 lightening round bioch

Ballkicks: (+126 / -74)
Reg. Date: Apr 2002
Reply 9 of 30 (Originally posted on: 12-19-02 12:36:42 PM)

I registered the day I turned 18. I never really thought anything about it. I think I still have my papers in my wallet, but I'm not sure. And no, there isnt a draft right now. I doubt it will be implemented except in seriouse crisis. (I doubt an Iraq invasion would require a draft)
"85% of smokers said that New Years day was a good time to quit smoking. None of them will, but they still think it would be a good time to quit."
NNY
Alcoholics Anonymous
Forum Drunkard

Staying in alone, with my cat.

Ballkicks: (+666 / -76)
Reply 10 of 30 (Originally posted on: 12-19-02 04:54:15 PM)

if there is a draft you can come to canada with me.
Lately I've been feeling dead inside, Like my guts have dried up and died
But every night I water them back to life
When I fall down I'll fall apart, Trade in my bike for a shopping cart
and beg change from a world that needs some
But I'm so inebriated that I cannot see, Between the moon and you, lunacy is setting in
Disconsolate
LBH was here.

Ballkicks: (+0 / -0)
Reply 11 of 30 (Originally posted on: 12-19-02 05:27:34 PM)

Theres no draft... we have more then enough people because of the flood that joined after 9-11.
"Rest the weight / I know somethin that you don't know / you've had your chance and folded"
Mingan
INTL Alumni
Mmm Skyscraper I Love You

Why are we having this wedding? because Abraham Lincoln, of course!

Ballkicks: (+637 / -48)
Reg. Date: May 2002
Reply 12 of 30 (Originally posted on: 12-19-02 05:50:48 PM)

We have no draft but they keep the option to call on you if need be, even though I don't know when that could possibly be. I mean, who's going to invade us? Canada maybe, to practice the big invasion of the US planned for 2011.

Besides, I'm excused from any further military career... my doctor deemed me 'mentally unfit' to participate in any kind of partiotic activity. as well as handle arms.
'Jesus paid for our sins, so lets get our moneys worth' - Joel's Lighter
'There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved through a suitable application of high explosives' - someone very cool
'The next person that thinks I'm Angel Zen from that other bloody forum will be shot.' - me
Disconsolate
LBH was here.

Ballkicks: (+0 / -0)
Reply 13 of 30 (Originally posted on: 12-19-02 05:54:57 PM)

You got a mentally unfit? Awesome.
"Rest the weight / I know somethin that you don't know / you've had your chance and folded"
poop
$$~~~Crips~~~$$
slooooooooooooots

i'd expect more sorcery in a place called mana pools

Ballkicks: (+731 / -71)
Reply 14 of 30 (Originally posted on: 12-19-02 07:56:29 PM)

My dad was 16 when Vietnam started, and at that age, they would let you go, but you needed parental permission (at least in Canada). My dad wanted to go, but my grandma wouldn't let him.

He actually went to the office and got the forms and tried to convince her to sign them.

He's just wierd like that.
"Tartarus, you are the fucking man." --Tyr
"If stupidity was a bannable offense there would be no forum populace." --PR
"Some bitch told me that video games were violent. So then I pressed 3, got out my shotgun, and blew her fucking head off." --Ztolk
SNR

dude that's byc's avvy get your own okay thanks

Ballkicks: (+4 / -10)
Reply 15 of 30 (Originally posted on: 12-20-02 02:00:12 PM)

mentally unfit? Cool big grin How did you manage that?
NNY
Alcoholics Anonymous
Forum Drunkard

Reply 16 of 30 (Originally posted on: 12-20-02 02:11:40 PM)

i could do that. i should do that.
But I'm so inebriated that I cannot see, Between the moon and you, lunacy is setting in
Kitabatake
Fishing with Firecrackers

2efficient4spacebar

Ballkicks: (+450 / -46)
Reply 17 of 30 (Originally posted on: 12-20-02 03:52:45 PM)

I didn't know canadians went to vietnam too...

weird.
there's no revolution anymore.
Stormraider
User is currently banned until further notice.

im gay

Reply 18 of 30 (Originally posted on: 12-20-02 04:22:37 PM)

Yes, unfortunately there are still copious amounts of idiots in Canada who wish to go off and die in unjust wars for the praise of ingrates.

I second Dani's whol "safe-house" thing. Only since I live in Ontario, I would advise everyone to come here instead, since we're better. :p
Stormraider- 73.275% of your daily dose of Cynical Jackass!!
Outspoken, Opinionated, Empassioned and Shameless.
"It's kinda ironic because I'm not a virgin.."-Globethrasher...yes, Globethrasher.
blacksun

dooooooooood I'm like soooooo high

Ballkicks: (+74 / -90)
Reply 19 of 30 (Originally posted on: 12-20-02 04:24:11 PM)

So what is selective service? :|
fdfzfdzfdzdzzdz
NNY
Alcoholics Anonymous
Forum Drunkard

Reply 20 of 30 (Originally posted on: 12-20-02 04:29:10 PM)

the draft.
Stormraider

im gay

Reply 21 of 30 (Originally posted on: 12-20-02 04:32:17 PM)

Or in other words: What happens when your idiot government stretches it's forces to thin and needs innocent people who want nothing to do with fighting to fill the gaps.
"It's kinda ironic because I'm not a virgin.."-Globethrasher...yes, Globethrasher.
NNY
Alcoholics Anonymous
Forum Drunkard

Reply 22 of 30 (Originally posted on: 12-20-02 04:45:53 PM)

that too. i for one am having no part in it. i registered only because i dont feel like going to jail. but as soon as shit hits the fan my ass is heading up north.
Stormraider

im gay

Reply 23 of 30 (Originally posted on: 12-20-02 04:51:48 PM)

We'll be sure to set up a welcoming committee. Most likely with a lot of guns to scare off those chasing you in some wonderful unlicensed justice.
NNY
Alcoholics Anonymous
Forum Drunkard

Reply 24 of 30 (Originally posted on: 12-20-02 10:50:17 PM)

thanks. hopefully pot will be legalized by then. of course... as soon as pot is legalized ill be headed that direction anyhow.
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 2 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 2028 | Total Posts: 30 ]